Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together (2588 Views)

Isnt This What A Religious Person Would Call A Miracle / I Don't Want To Marry A Christian Or Religious Person. / I Would Slap Any Religious Person Doing Washing Of Feet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 7:53am On Feb 09, 2017
The most religious countries are usually the most suffering from poverty.

America is the most religious country in the West.
-African americans are the most religious race in America and they rank the highest in poverty levels.
-America ranks amongst the worst in healthcare availability among the west.

Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan and Ghana rank among the most religious countries in the world. Also, they rank high in poverty.

The poorest states in Nigeria come from the North which are more religious since they follow a relgious sharia law.

What is with religion and poverty? For every rich pastor, there are thousands of church members suffering in sheer poverty!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Nobody: 8:24am On Feb 09, 2017
We are subject to diminished mental capacity and escapism. We find solace in esoteric existence when we lose our ability to control our prospect in life. We either resort to seeking answers to inexistent questions (religion) or find way to explain our failure (blame government, blame our ancestors, blame the old woman in our villages, blame PHCN, blame Obama, etc).

4 Likes

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 8:59am On Feb 09, 2017
kITATITA:
We are subject to diminished mental capacity and escapism. We find solace in esoteric existence when we lose our ability to control our prospect in life. We either resort to seeking answers to inexistent questions (religion) or find way to explain our failure (blame government, blame our ancestors, blame the old woman in our villages, blame PHCN, blame Obama, etc).

It is a real shame! Religion seems like beer to a depressed man. An antidepressant that struggling people use to make themselves feel better.

Religion is not a cure. It is just the opium to ease the pain

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by oglalasioux(m): 9:55am On Feb 09, 2017
JackBizzle:

It is a real shame! Religion seems like beer to a depressed man. An antidepressant that struggling people use to make themselves feel better.

I disagree with the bolded. Religion leaves us more frustrated and empty because we can never understand a god that allows good for a few and bad for the majority.

What if we believe in a universe that we came accidentally from and which left us unequal? Won't it be a better incentive to help each other than to believe some are destined to be rich and others poor?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 10:13am On Feb 09, 2017
oglalasioux:

I disagree with the bolded. Religion leaves us more frustrated and empty because we can never understand a god that allows good for a few and bad for the majority.

What if we believe in a universe that we came accidentally from and which left us unequal? Won't it be a better incentive to help each other than to believe some are destined to be rich and others poor?

You are half right.

Religion puts some people down.

A church usher suffering from poverty is ready to work like a slave for his church because of heavenly glory.
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Auki: 10:26am On Feb 09, 2017
kITATITA:

Saudi Arabia and Poverty.
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by randomperson: 10:30am On Feb 09, 2017
The more comfortable you get, the less your need for a sky daddy...
There is also a theory I've read about, that countries with the best welfare programs have high atheist populations...
So if the government can take care of the people, the people see no need for god
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by 1Bishop(m): 10:31am On Feb 09, 2017
JackBizzle:

Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan and Ghana rank among the most religious countries in the world. Also, they rank high in poverty.

The poorest states in Nigeria come from the North which are more religious since they follow a relgious sharia law.

What is with religion and poverty? For every rich pastor, there are thousands of church members suffering in sheer poverty!

YOUR ASSERTION IS COMPLETELY WRONG
Religion is not a reason for poverty. When both USA and Britain were sincerely religious, they were more prosperous and more peaceful than they are now.

Righteousness exalts a nation. Sin is a reproach to any people.

Righteousness/Relationship with God, which you call religion, is the control tower of the destiny of any nation or individual. As an aeroplane is bound to crash when it loses contact with the control tower, a man's or nation's destiny would crash when it loses touch with the true God (Religion).

2Chronicles 15
3. Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law. 
4.  But when they in their trouble did turn unto the LORD God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them. 
5.  And in those times there was no peace to him that went out, nor to him that came in, but great vexations were upon all the inhabitants of the countries. 
6.  And nation was destroyed of nation, and city of city: for God did vex them with all adversity.  (Note: God allowed them to face adversity because they did not want to retain God in their knowledge)

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 09, 2017
1Bishop:

Religion is not a reason for poverty. When both USA and Britain were sincerely religious, they were more prosperous and more peaceful than they are now.

Righteousness exalts a nation. Sin is a reproach to any people.

Righteousness/Relationship with God, which you call religion, is the control tower of the destiny of any nation or individual. As an aeroplane is bound to crash when it loses of contact with the control tower, a man's or nation's destiny would crash when it loses touch with the true God (Religion).

2Chronicles 15:3  Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law. 
4.  But when they in their trouble did turn unto the LORD God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them. 
5.  And in those times there was no peace to him that went out, nor to him that came in, but great vexations were upon all the inhabitants of the countries. 
6.  And nation was destroyed of nation, and city of city: for God did vex them with all adversity.  (Note: God allowed them to face adversity because they did not want to retain God in their knowledge)
Don't equate religion with righteousness. People are religious to be rewarded with eternal bliss in Heaven or fear of perpetual punishment in Hellfire. The rich nonreligious; Bill Gates, Rockefeller, etc give help out of natural compulsion and not fear or reward.

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Auki: 10:46am On Feb 09, 2017
Saudi Arabia and high level poverty wealth
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 10:51am On Feb 09, 2017
1Bishop:

You mean in the past where Britain was more religious and colonizing/enslaving the whole world in the name of Queen and God?

Or in the past when the USA was importing and exporting thousands of black slaves? Or when they were forcing christianity on native tribes?

5 Likes

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 10:52am On Feb 09, 2017
Auki:
Saudi Arabia and high level poverty wealth

False.

Saudi Arabia suffers a lot of poverty.

They deceive people like you with riches of their princes and sheikhs.

Look at the common man there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by plaetton: 11:53am On Feb 09, 2017
JackBizzle:

If Religion was just a mild palliative, restricted to just making people feel better, the world might have been a better place.

From a mild palliative to cope with the vissitudes of life and the unknown, Religion quickly escalates to a mild , and then dangerous neurotoxin that divides and destroys.

2 Likes

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by plaetton: 11:58am On Feb 09, 2017
1Bishop:

Lol.
Another lie spotted shocked
Or, maybe it's not a deliberate lie, but just sheer IGNORANCE. undecided

Kindly tell us in exactly what era or century were USA and Britain SINCERELY religious ?

And while you are at that, also kindly tell us in what era or century were Britain and USA more prosperous and peaceful than they are now ?
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 12:23pm On Feb 09, 2017
plaetton:

If Religion was just a mild palliative, restricted to just making people feel better, the world might have been a better place.

From a mild palliative to cope with the vissitudes of life and the unknown, Religion quickly escalates to a mild , and then dangerous neurotoxin that divides and destroys.

yes.

of course, opuim turns into a debilitating addiction after the first few highs.

religion is the opium of the people

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 1:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
The richest people in Nigeria, are they irreligious?

You need to carry out a research before concluding. You're talking about religious people and not under developed countries or lack of education, broken economy and the rest...

I can bet that most religious people are richer in Nigeria. I wouldn't be surprised if a research is carried out and it gives that result. Well that's only if you atheists who claim you're not religious come out and make it obvious so you won't be counted among the religious grin

From what I see, you want to test for the reason behind the high level of poverty and illiteracy among black Americans and africans........ I can bet you that religion will not even be a major factor.

So please go carry out a thorough research before giving us your conclusions.

I'm still looking for the irreligious nairalanders that never came out of religion and they still don't know they are religious just because they have a weird belief system which might have come about after the word religion was conceived..

Before you will be against something, the thing you're against definitely came before your decision

I'm sure there are countries that are doing well inspite of their religiousness or religiosity .... Why not mention them also.... Don't be bias

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 1:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:
The more comfortable you get, the less your need for a sky daddy...
There is also a theory I've read about, that countries with the best welfare programs have high atheist populations...
So if the government can take care of the people, the people see no need for god

The bolded is just what I'm interested in. Which means the government is a factor behind poverty and illiteracy. Good.

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
Religion and Poverty : A match made in Heaven cheesy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by randomperson: 1:57pm On Feb 09, 2017
bennyann:

The bolded is just what I'm interested in. Which means the government is a factor behind poverty and illiteracy. Good.

No one is saying religion is the sole cause of poverty. We're saying people resort to religion as an opium for poverty.
Most of the richest and most literate countries have significant percentages of irreligious people while most poor countries are deeply religious.
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:

No one is saying religion is the sole cause of poverty. We're saying people resort to religion as an opium for poverty.
Most of the richest and most literate countries have significant percentages of irreligious people while most poor countries are deeply religious.

I'm against religion myself. I just want to be sure the conclusion isn't bias.

Does that mean all poor people are religious? All illiterates are religious?

And it seems the irreligious ones we are talking about here are the atheists because adding the Christians may cause confusion here.

So are all atheists literates? Are all atheists rich?

I think most of the richest and most literate countries got to that level with the help of the religious ones in them and I'm sure the religious ones make up the highest percentage

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by randomperson: 3:39pm On Feb 09, 2017
bennyann:

I'm against religion myself. I just want to be sure the conclusion isn't bias.

Does that mean all poor people are religious? All illiterates are religious?

And it seems the irreligious ones we are talking about here are the atheists because adding the Christians may cause confusion here.

So are all atheists literate? Are all atheists rich?

I think most of the richest and most literate countries got to that level with the help of the religious ones in them and I'm sure the religious ones make up the highest percentage
Not all atheists are rich... In fact, there are probably more rich Christians than rich atheists but a sample of poor people will show a deeply religious demography
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 4:41pm On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:

Not all atheists are rich... In fact, there are probably more rich Christians than rich atheists but a sample of poor people will show a deeply religious demography

So it means most of the poor people are religious. I get you.

But a more valid research should be the one that tells if most of the rich ones are religious in a particular country also. That will truly test the correlation between religion and the level of financial status in each country because if we should find out that religious people are richer, it wouldn't make sense when we also say religious people are poorer.

So I think the conclusion of the Op is not really valid since we're in a world where it is expected for the number of the rich to exceed the number of the poor whether they're religious or not.

And again if there are more religious people in a particular country and the poor is globally expected to outgrow the rich, it won't be reliable to say a country is very poor because of their high level of religion tolerance. That will make the conclusion very unreliable

Thanks randomperson for taken your time to explain things to me.
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 5:11pm On Feb 09, 2017
bennyann:
The richest people in Nigeria, are they irreligious?

You need to carry out a research before concluding. You're talking about religious people and not under developed countries or lack of education, broken economy and the rest...

I can bet that most religious people are richer in Nigeria. I wouldn't be surprised if a research is carried out and it gives that result. Well that's only if you atheists who claim you're not religious come out and make it obvious so you won't be counted among the religious grin

From what I see, you want to test for the reason behind the high level of poverty and illiteracy among black Americans and africans........ I can bet you that religion will not even be a major factor.

So please go carry out a thorough research before giving us your conclusions.

I'm still looking for the irreligious nairalanders that never came out of religion and they still don't know they are religious just because they have a weird belief system which might have come about after the word religion was conceived..

Before you will be against something, the thing you're against definitely came before your decision

I'm sure there are countries that are doing well inspite of their religiousness or religiosity .... Why not mention them also.... Don't be bias

Oga, you are missing the point.

I am not saying that religion is the only cause of poverty.

I am saying that religion seems to be prevalent among poor countries.

Please, name one country that is highly religious and ranks in the top 5 most developed countries in the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 5:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
bennyann:

So it means most of the poor people are religious. I get you.

But a more valid research should be the one that tells if most of the rich ones are religious in a particular country also. That will truly test the correlation between religion and the level of financial status in each country because if we should find out that religious people are richer, it wouldn't make sense when we also say religious people are poorer.

So I think the conclusion of the Op is not really valid since we're in a world where it is expected for the number of the rich to exceed the number of the poor whether they're religious or not.

And again if there are more religious people in a particular country and the poor is globally expected to outgrow the rich, it won't be reliable to say a country is very poor because of their high level of religion tolerance. That will make the conclusion very unreliable

Thanks randomperson for taken your time to explain things to me.

Studies have already been done. Please read;

Religiosity Highest in World's Poorest Nations
"Each of the most religious countries is relatively poor, with a per-capita GDP below $5,000. This reflects the strong relationship between a country's socioeconomic status and the religiosity of its residents. In the world's poorest countries -- those with average per-capita incomes of $2,000 or lower"
http://www.gallup.com/poll/142727/religiosity-highest-world-poorest-nations.aspx
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2017
JackBizzle:

Oga, you are missing the point.

I am not saying that religion is the only cause of poverty.

I am saying that religion seems to be prevalent among poor countries.

Ok. And that should be because the poor are finding solace in religion and not because religion makes them poor.

But at the time, the developed countries were once highly religious but still developed compared to those that are under developed now.

Even now they're becoming less religious that status of theirs being a developed country is still intact.

So is the issue really about religion? But I'll agree with you that today, religion seem to be prevalent among poor countries. But these poor countries, have they ever been rich even before religion came in?

The relationship focused on makes it look like religion is the cause of poverty, that's why I'm not that comfortable because it isn't the MAJOR factor.

Please, name one country that is highly religious and ranks in the top 5 most developed countries in the world.
I know you don't want to ask me that... Why use highly religious.....
At least they're religious if not 'highly' embarassed tongue
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
JackBizzle:

Studies have already been done. Please read;

Religiosity Highest in World's Poorest Nations
"Each of the most religious countries is relatively poor, with a per-capita GDP below $5,000. This reflects the strong relationship between a country's socioeconomic status and the religiosity of its residents. In the world's poorest countries -- those with average per-capita incomes of $2,000 or lower"
http://www.gallup.com/poll/142727/religiosity-highest-world-poorest-nations.aspx

Hmmmm. This is serious.

For every single increase in the number of irreligious persons, the per capital income increases.. lipsrsealed

Anyway, what I'm driving at is the status of the developed countries hasn't changed right from when they were once highly religious to less religious.

Can you tell me the probability of the underdeveloped countries being one of the top 5 or top 10 developed countries if they become less religious? Do you think it will change their status?
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Niflheim(m): 6:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
@Jackbizzle,

Poverty is in the genes and the DNA of religion!!!

1.Franciscan monks were known for taking the vow of poverty!!!

2.Theravada Buddhism still practices the traditional form of this activity. During the morning, monks take their begging bowls and go out into the community to seek food.

3.The caste system in Hinduism encourages poverty for the dark-skinned dalits!!!

4.An ascetic in jainism philosophy embraces poverty and "masters" his physical appetites!!!

In the image below, is the buddhist monks with their begging bowls!!!

1 Like

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
Niflheim:
@Jackbizzle,

Poverty is in the genes and the DNA of religion!!!

1.Franciscan monks were known for taking the vow of poverty!!!

2.Theravada Buddhism still practices the traditional form of this activity. During the morning, monks take their begging bowls and go out into the community to seek food.

3.The caste system in Hinduism encourages poverty for the dark-skinned dalits!!!

4.An ascetic in jainism philosophy embraces poverty and "masters" his physical appetites!!!

In the image below, is the buddhist monks with their begging bowls!!!

Pardon me. But you'll do justice to this if you name the countries where the types of religion you mentioned are prevalent.
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by JackBizzle: 6:08am On Feb 10, 2017
bennyann:

Pardon me. But you'll do justice to this if you name the countries where the types of religion you mentioned are prevalent.

You really dont know where hinduism is practiced or you are just acting silly?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 10, 2017
Mischievous op with a baseless thread.

America is the country with the largest population of Christians and it is certainly the richest country with no other country coming close.

Rubbish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by bennyann: 7:55am On Feb 10, 2017
JackBizzle:

You really dont know where hinduism is practiced or you are just acting silly?

Like seriously? Now you think I'm acting silly? undecided

Just because he brings out evidences to accept the hypothesis of your topic doesn't mean I shouldn't test them.
Even if I'm daft, you could have just left it without quoting me if you wouldn't give me the answers. What's bad in finding out if those religion mentioned can be found to be prevalent in countries that are not poverty stricken

The fact that a foreigner carry out a survey doesn't mean I should swallow the results hook, line and sinker. Your OP is an interesting one and I'm trying to reason around it in my own little way.

You say sheer poverty? In churches? What's your definition of sheer poverty? And what's your research results gotten from all the churches in Nigeria? Do you know most Christians are educated? And what's the correlation between education and sheer poverty?

When religion is trying to help those who are poor already is different from they are poor because they're religious or they were once rich but became poor after adopting religion.

Well,
I can now conclude that a valid research will be the one carried out after all those poverty stricken countries are less religious or irreligious. I know that time is near but that's when we will see if all this research conclusions are really reliable.

JackBizzle, I've left you oooo. I mean no harm I was just just trying to reduce the biasness. I'm not really the type who argue on the religion section and I don't really want to be known for such so take care.
Re: Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together by randomperson: 7:58am On Feb 10, 2017
Omudia:
Mischievous op with a baseless thread.

America is the country with the largest population of Christians and it is certainly the richest country with no other country coming close.

Rubbish.
Ignorance is bad enough but when combined with arrogance, it's bad news for that person and the people who will have the misfortune of conversing with him... US is not one of the five richest countries in the world. And even when we measure by standard of living, US is still not the best.
And BTW, the richest, most educated states and the ones with the lowest crime rates in the US are the most irreligious while the Opposite is the case for the religious ones

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Maybe The 'men Of God' Are Men Of Preek Afterall / Jesus Says I Should Tell You The End Is Near / 2022 Top 10 Richest Pastors In Edo State And Their Net Worth (full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.