Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past (16422 Views)

ICPC: Which Position Is Best For A Graduate To Apply For? / Imagine What Unemployment Has Turn Nigerian Graduate To / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by BiafraBushBoy(m): 11:46am On Feb 09, 2017
Hi Past,

I know you missed me but I didn’t and would never miss you. I guess you know that you are the reason my life started a little bit slow even when I never planned it this way. You made me follow the path way I never knew would lengthen my life struggles. I write you this letter to update you about myself and remind you how you kept me jobless.

I remembered when I was in school and my good friend advised me to learn a skill, you were the one that told me not to. You told me that after all, my B.sc result will land me a job in an oil company. You made me listen to that lecturer that told me that once I graduate with a 2nd class upper or First class, I will be a hot cake in the market without any addition to my degree.

I graduated with a 2nd class upper and while I was at home waiting for NYSC, my friend again persuaded me to join him and learn some IT skills especially web-design, you made me ask him “Wetin concern Engineering and Web-Design?” He learnt it while I was at home flexing all in the name of I am now a graduate.

I went to camp and the girls wouldn’t let me rest and while my mates were learning some useful skills, I was at the Mammy market drinking away my 21 days. “After all, na once person dey serve” I say to myself. I finished from camp, and went for my PPA. Other friends were working to gain experience, and I was jumping from one club to another with the hope that my 2.1 would land me a super job in a top engineering company.

I remember my good friend that kept attending job shows. Even when he begged me to join, I was always with one excuse or the other especially

“Time never reach to hustle for job.”

He would leave me and do his own things while I was in my lodge sleeping and making merry.

On the day of our passing out; some companies came and offered jobs to people they felt had what they needed in Information Technology. My friend was hired with a starting salary of 80,000 naira and I was among those that clapped for him. I consoled myself with “when I am ready, I would earn 200,000 Naira at once.”

Dear past! You remembered all these right?

Do you know that I finished from NYSC and went back home to relax a bit before landing the so-called “Dream Job” my lecturer said I would land with my CV. After I had relaxed, I started to send out my CV through many online portals. You told me there was no need writing a good CV or cover letter that my good grade would take care of it for me.

I spent months at home and even my younger one was arguing about food who ate his food with me. I became frustrated and decided to leave for Lagos with the hope of landing my dream job. I never bothered to hustle for Jobs with the hope that online platforms are the best.

Dear Past I know you remembered all these. After 2 years of waiting, they advised me to manage even marketing job, and you still came up telling me that I was too big for such a small Job and I rejected the offer.

It was almost my 4th year at home; before I realized that I have been scammed by both you and my lecturer. My good friend back then from my university called me with a foreign number, and told me he had gotten a job with an IT firm that took him abroad. He asked me if I had any IT skill at all. That was when I remembered I had no professional qualification, no skill, just my Bsc certificate. Every night I cried and life had become frustrating for me. All those who saw me as the next big thing in life even gave up on me.

Out of shame to let people know that I am also a working graduate, I had to go teach in a small secondary and was collecting 12,000 naira as salary. I bore the shame but decided to prove the world wrong. During break periods, I would trek to so many places and submit my CV using various techniques I learnt when my eyes got opened.

Dear past, you made me go through this hard way. Along the line, God finally had mercy on my already frustrated life and my hustle paid off. After I took a course on article writing and graphics design, I was offered employment with a big writing firm in Lagos coupled with a salary that could move mountains.

I have my own car and house now. I don’t write because I am angry, but to let you know that I forgive you. And to the other under-graduate or graduates that you would keep or you have kept in the condition I was, I hope they read this and learn to do the right thing. Imagine what would have become of me if I had learnt just a skill back then at school.

I forgive you dear past but I don’t miss you and would never miss you at all. No love! from your much advanced self….

Anonymous

Working Graduate.

Source: http://topwritersden.com/open-letter-of-a-working-graduate-to-his-jobless-past/

Cc: lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique.

Learn how to write an Introduction letter here http://topwritersden.com/how-to-write-a-letter-of-introduction-for-a-job/ and send it to me for reviews! Thanks!

62 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by wunmi590(m): 11:54am On Feb 09, 2017
Booked
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 09, 2017
cool
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by ojun50(m): 12:08pm On Feb 09, 2017
Ok
d untold story after sch bt finally u will learn after staying home for 3month. Dooooh
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Vizzim: 12:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
...... cool
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Xxpress(m): 12:20pm On Feb 09, 2017
Same applies to me though am not working yet but am hopeful that soonest my story too is gonna change for good.

9 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by sod09(m): 12:24pm On Feb 09, 2017
Inspiring

1 Like

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by obajoey(m): 1:25pm On Feb 09, 2017
Better is the end of a thing than its beginning

1 Like

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by BiafraBushBoy(m): 1:33pm On Feb 09, 2017
sod09:
Inspiring

Exactly.. smiley

Lalasticlala wink
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by BiafraBushBoy(m): 1:34pm On Feb 09, 2017
Xxpress:
Same applies to me though am not working yet but am hopeful that soonest my story too is gonna change for good.

I think the message was actually passed in the post.. Even though it was more stated on the blog.

#LearnASkill wink

It is your escape route out of unemployment. I speak with so much confidence.

5 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Bsmartt(m): 2:54pm On Feb 09, 2017
I'm very sure this motivational article will hit the front page. Unfortunately, some graduates with some additional skills are yet to secure a job that is worth it. God please help us all. Aamin.

5 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 09, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

I think the message was actually passed in the post.. Even though it was more stated on the blog.

#LearnASkill wink

It is your escape route out of unemployment. I speak with so much confidence.

Pls is your firm still recruiting? I can write very well
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Seconsol92(m): 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
Education is the highest scam pulled on us by our parents and the society

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by padi94(m): 3:33pm On Feb 09, 2017
Why do I have a feeling that this is a paid writeup
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by BiafraBushBoy(m): 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2017
Hipsofagoddess:

Pls is your firm still recruiting? I can write very well

please check my signature and keep in touch.
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by BiafraBushBoy(m): 4:05pm On Feb 09, 2017
padi94:
Why do I have a feeling that this is a paid writeup

Paid for what exactly Sir?

To advise fellow youth on the noble part to succeed in life?

Did I advertise any product or service?

Please research before having feelings wink

Thanks!

17 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 09, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

please check my signature and keep in touch.

Ok, I will.
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by padi94(m): 10:26pm On Feb 09, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

Paid for what exactly Sir?

To advise fellow youth on the noble part to succeed in life?

Did I advertise any product or service?

Please research before having feelings wink

Thanks!

But at d end of d day u didn't give any concrete advice on how nd what to do to get a job.... or u just want us to visit your l
Blog

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by BiafraBushBoy(m): 11:50pm On Feb 09, 2017
padi94:

But at d end of d day u didn't give any concrete advice on how nd what to do to get a job.... or u just want us to visit your l
Blog

Haba na... Everything can't come under one post. If you read the write-up.. You will see clearly where the story was heading to.

LEARN A SKILL.

That is what employers are looking out for now.

I think you should take time and read the write-up.

I am still coming up with other related articles. Just keep in touch bro. 2017 is our year!

11 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by lollmaolol(m): 7:12am On Feb 10, 2017
Skill is an asset. Thanks op

1 Like

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by danemenike: 7:14am On Feb 10, 2017
Well said. Guess what? Many undergraduates will read this and still make the same mistake.
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Aburi001: 7:14am On Feb 10, 2017
wunmi590:
Booked
This OP no get work I swear shocked
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by sakalisis(m): 7:16am On Feb 10, 2017
Ok cool
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by paskyboy: 7:17am On Feb 10, 2017
What's this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 10, 2017
Whatever, however, things will always go right for you.

As i look back on my life, i realise that everytime i was denied something good, i was actually being redirected to something better.

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 10, 2017
thanks for the advice.
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 10, 2017
hmm!
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by MuyiRano(m): 7:36am On Feb 10, 2017
Good piece!
Meanwhile

5 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nnaeb(m): 7:36am On Feb 10, 2017
Seconsol92:
Education is the highest scam pulled on us by our parents and the society
I think you meant to say schooling, not Education. Education is not and will never be a scam.
Education is what remains in us after one has forgotten what he learnt in school.

Embrace Education any how u can. Even if it means going to school. Yes!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Nelsizzy(m): 7:38am On Feb 10, 2017
Inspiring. Permission to copy n share on facebook
Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by ebubenwobodo(f): 7:38am On Feb 10, 2017
Same thing is happening to my friends I served with 2 years back. I served in a private school and still had to make out time to learn 4 different skills. Those my friends were in public schools and only go to work twice a week, whereas I was going from Monday to Friday (apart from my cds day which was Wednesday). I persuaded them to try and learn at least one to keep them going when they stop receiving 19800 but they refused. I was earning a living with the skills I learnt then and was making enough to cater for myself after service until one of those my skills landed me a good paying job. Now they would call me to beg me for airtime #1000 to subscribe. They have been saying if they had known they wnt see job fast they would have listened to me then.

7 Likes

Re: Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past by Cmeo(m): 7:44am On Feb 10, 2017
This is simply a memoir of dream and reality. Kudos to the writer!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls I Need Ur Orientation On How To Manage A Female Boss At Work / Wema Bank Fresh Graduate & Mid-level Job Recruitment 2017 / N-power Oyo State 2017 Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.