Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine (22402 Views)

Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK / Warriboy Graduated With Distinction In Masters In I.T Indiana USA (pics)(vids) / Nigerian Lady Bags 1st Class In BSc & Distinction In MSc Outside Nigeria(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Teacherjobs: 9:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
Achieving a distinction in Medicine seemed an impossible task but the jinx has been broken at the Olabisi Onabanjo University.

At the school’s 25/26 combined convocation which ended on Tuesday, Olugbenga Alabi became the first graduant to achieve the feat in the institution’s history. Alabi had seven distinctions in 10 courses.

“I’m glad I achieved the feat of being the first to graduate with MBChB with Honours in the history of this university,” Alabi excitedly told our reporter.

“I first read about the requirements (for making distinction) during my 100-Level days, and I felt it was not possible to get it. But now, that is history because someone has done it. I give Allah all the glory as well as my teachers and mentors,” he said.

And as Alabi stood tall on the podium to address his colleagues, he said getting to the zenith of a man’s aspiration is substantially determined by God and not by human’s efforts.

“As I stand before all of you today, what has put me on the podium to present this valedictory speech on behalf of my colleagues may be because of my outstanding academic performance. But I do not see it that way; rather, I see it as God’s favour and blessing, for I do not know anything except that which God has taught me. He is the Omniscient,” he said amid rousing ovation.

“Only God grants success,” he continued, “it is important we read in addition to praying. Also important is imparting knowledge unto others. Know when you assimilate the most and make the best use of that time.”

Was he a bookworm or a recluse to have made seven distinctions?

Alabi denied being an introvert. According to him, he maintained a modest social life. Nonetheless, he tried as much as possible to maintain his bounds. He had someone close to his heart, to keep others at bay.

“Concerning girlfriends, I have many. But my fiancé is just one (laughs). She has really tried for me in so many areas,”Alabi confessed.

After his secondary education, Alabi had crisscrossed some tertiary institutions. He once attended Yaba College of Technology where he studied Science Laboratory Technology. He finished his National Diploma with a distinction. Thereafter, he had a stint at the University of Ibadan before fate finally crowned his efforts at OOU.

Now in his late 20s, Alabi said he would not wait to complete his internship before thinking of a postgraduate programme to pursue in clinicals and academics.

Source – The Nation
http://www.teacher.com.ng/2017/02/09/olabisi-onabanjo-university-produces-first-distinction-medicine/

[url=teacher.com.ng]teacher.com.ng[/url] - Find teaching jobs near you!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Nogodye(m): 9:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
The guy tried no be small...

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by StarBukola(f): 10:46pm On Feb 09, 2017
No b pass them dey give all medicine student, abi am wrong ni?

5 Likes

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Nobody: 7:03am On Feb 10, 2017
Hmmmm
I would like to know the requirement.

I haven't heard of Distinction in medicine at MBBS level.
U can only have distinction in various postings thus becoming the BGS (best graduating student)
Distinction in medicine doesn't make u better than ur colleagues.
clinical practice is a different ball game from school work.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Femsmart(m): 7:04am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:

I wonder ooo.

1 Like

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:05am On Feb 10, 2017
There is no distinction in medicine.
Fake.
You either pass or fail

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Teadavid23(m): 7:05am On Feb 10, 2017
Congratulations bro. Keep soaring
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by peter1994(m): 7:05am On Feb 10, 2017
I'm supremely impressed.

The poster below me has no chill grin grin grin
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by MrGreenMavro: 7:05am On Feb 10, 2017
I humbly recommend him to treat our PMB!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by peter1994(m): 7:05am On Feb 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Fake

There is bro, though no class of degree is written on the Certificates
Just Pass or Ney smiley
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Yayofeski: 7:05am On Feb 10, 2017
Congrats
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Firstcitizen: 7:06am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:

Me sef tire. We may be wrong though.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Phunkyposh(f): 7:08am On Feb 10, 2017
congrats
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Teadavid23(m): 7:08am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:

There's Distinction in Medicine and Surgery... Goan make your findings. Pass is just the accredited grade for you to proceed to the next stage or level sha.

3 Likes

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by iamtiredoflife: 7:09am On Feb 10, 2017
Nigeria is just blessed with gurus.
Have you seen Daniel Nkemel, the guy Who Graduated With 7.0CGPA In University Of Ibadan? Read the story here http://www.nigeriaschoolsupdate..com.ng/2017/01/Daniel-Nkemelu-Who-Graduated-With-7.0CGPA-In-Unibadan.html
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by GdexFolami(m): 7:11am On Feb 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Fake.
You either pass or fail
torh

3 Likes

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by webincomeplus(m): 7:13am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:
Pass is the requirement and the most common grade. Few exceptionally brilliant students get distinctions. I know because I'm a final year medical student.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by solaere(m): 7:14am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:
nope dia's classes in dia degree too my broda did medicine too he had 2.1 so its possible
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by webincomeplus(m): 7:15am On Feb 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Fake.
You either pass or fail
If you don't know something, you verify rather than try to force your ignorance down people's throats. There is distinction in medicine.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Exponental(m): 7:17am On Feb 10, 2017
Congrats! Efico of his time!!
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by sakalisis(m): 7:17am On Feb 10, 2017
Iwe
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by OlamideOkadigbo(m): 7:17am On Feb 10, 2017
I am a medical student in OOU and I can authoritatively tell you there is distinction in medicine. Infact I just had a distinction in pharmacology in the part two MB result released yesterday (the only distinction in d class).
50-59% is pass, 60-69% is credit, 70% and above is distinction.
However it is easier for a bull to pass through the needle's eye than to score the 50% required to pass. After any professional exam(MB), abt half of d class pass and half of d class fail and 95% of those that passed will have btw 50-59%. So usually, we say medicine is all about pass or fail because for u to pass, u would probably av a 1st class in any other course.
However, Dr Alabi Olugbenga Saheed aka Chromo is a special breed. He had distinctions in 7 out of 10 courses. The one I had yesterday was my first out of 5 courses so far.
Again, on the certificate, what is usually wtitten is MBChB OGUN. But for Chromo, they wrote MBChB Hons.(d university senate requested a special certificate for him). A truly outstanding achievement.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by JONITEZ(m): 7:23am On Feb 10, 2017
Wow.. Awesome. Thank God.
Mean check my signature.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by opalu: 7:23am On Feb 10, 2017
Congrats
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by mediocre(m): 7:25am On Feb 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Fake.
You either pass or fail
there is o.

1 Like

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by mediocre(m): 7:25am On Feb 10, 2017
solaere:
nope dia's classes in dia degree too my broda did medicine too he had 2.1 so its possible

2.1 in medicine Lol. you well?

5 Likes

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by femolii: 7:26am On Feb 10, 2017
Haters are here already Osus them.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by KINGwax007(m): 7:26am On Feb 10, 2017
Sha, go work for who get pass
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Nobody: 7:26am On Feb 10, 2017
I might be wrong , but i dont think there is anythig like distinction or any grade in Medicine .What i have heard is maybe distiction in some of the courses Like Pathology and the rest .Medics in the house , over to you

1 Like

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 10, 2017
Having a pass in maybe Pathology or any other course isnt the same as graduating with distinction
solaere:
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Lanretoye(m): 7:31am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:
that one is in your school now, no be OOU.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Was Your Name Ever Written Among The Noise Makers In Class? / Protest At Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma Over School Fees Increment (Pics) / Adeyemi College Of Education Post Utme And Admission Process Information Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.