Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee (4381 Views)

Nurudeen Abubakar Adam, Nurse Representing Nigeria At Pre-world Health Assembly / The Onitsha Students Representing Nigeria At World Pitch Academic Competition US / Sheriff Muhammad Wins African Spelling Bee Champion Title (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by mykelmeezy: 1:09am On Feb 10, 2017
Ghana has its own spelling bee and this year is the 10th anniversary. The 2017 champion is Lily Tugbah.

"I feel so excited. I can't believe this is happening. I'm grateful to everybody, especially God for helping me come this far. My parents, my family, my friends, everybody has helped me make this dream a reality," Lily said right after winning the competition.

Lily beat out more than 190 kids in 12 rounds worth of competition. Her winning word was "baculiform."

The Ghana Spelling Bee features kids from four of the 10 regions of Ghana. The kids who compete in the final in Accra, Ghana, have already competed in their home region. Kids in the spelling bee can compete until they turn 14 years old.

In May, Lily will fly to the U.S. to represent Ghana and the entire African continent in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
"It's a really great honor … I plan on doing everything possible to make Ghana proud," Lily said.

The Accra International Conference Centre was a sight to behold last Saturday (6th February) as parents, teachers, head teachers, family, and friends as well as students from numerous schools across the country gathered to witness the finals of the competition.

After seven (7) seven grueling rounds of spelling, twelve (12) year old Lily Tugbah of the Solidarity International School in Ashaiman in the Greater Accra Region emerged winner of the 2017 edition of the National Spelling Bee Championship

She receives an all-expense paid trip to the United States to represent Ghana at the 90th Scripps National Spelling Bee, a GHC10,000 scholarship from Indomie, GHC 10,000 Ecobank Junior Savers account, a trophy, Merriam Webster dictionary and a DStv decoder with free subscription

Gabriella Ellis, a twelve (12) year student of the Delhi Public School International was the first runner up and thirteen (13) year old Ewoenam Afetsi of the SOS Hermann Gmeiner was the second runner-up on the night. They will both be traveling to the MultiChoice head office in Johannesburg, South Africa and also receive other prizes from sponsors as part of their prize package.

source: http://mobile.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/entertainment/Lily-Tugbah-is-2017-National-Spelling-Bee-winner-507320

cc : lalasticlala mynd44 seun

i hope she wins

go make Africa proud

go make blacks all over the world proud

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by herzernBABA: 1:18am On Feb 10, 2017
What's the fate of non-Enqlish speaking countries??

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by DozieInc(m): 1:28am On Feb 10, 2017
Kudos to her

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by whizbee(m): 1:31am On Feb 10, 2017
Otida bayii... This is a good news... Nice development

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Horus(m): 1:53am On Feb 10, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXekNP6k0I

Ghanaian girl to compete in 2017 spelling bee

Lily Tugbah managed to beat out 197 other kids on her way to being Africa's spelling champion.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Nobody: 2:10am On Feb 10, 2017
If only they can stay innocent and sweet.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by mykelmeezy: 2:21am On Feb 10, 2017
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXekNP6k0I

Ghanaian girl to compete in 2017 spelling bee

Lily Tugbah managed to beat out 197 other kids on her way to being Africa's spelling champion.

thanks for adding this

lalasticlala and seun

its nairaland but lets support ghana

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Pamelayoung: 2:25am On Feb 10, 2017
Nice.
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by adadike281(f): 2:46am On Feb 10, 2017
Not even a Nigerian? pls tell me, what is even our national pride in dis country? Congrats girl and pls bring home d coveted price

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by sandrahnaub(f): 3:50am On Feb 10, 2017
Good luck to her... cheesy
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by edoyad(m): 4:03am On Feb 10, 2017
adadike281:
Not even a Nigerian? pls tell me, what is even our national pride in dis country? Congrats girl and pls bring home d coveted price

Instead of you to ask whether we have one you will just be complaining up and down. Mtchewww, look joor....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYCptr7Kr4

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Nobody: 5:08am On Feb 10, 2017
Read before you comment.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Caracta(f): 5:25am On Feb 10, 2017
edoyad:

Instead of you to ask whether we have one you will just be complaining up and down. Mtchewww, look joor....

Lol. Fashola's wife had a Lagos Spelling Bee and it was fun. It would be lovely to get sponsors across Nigeria. Our sponsors would rather focus on vain beauty and red carpets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by lonelydora: 5:33am On Feb 10, 2017
Beauty with brain.
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Nobody: 8:38am On Feb 10, 2017
She did not gbagaun

I congratulate her on her achievement
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by chumakk: 8:44am On Feb 10, 2017
She is making her country proud not the whole Africa. I know she will not have a chance if those hot kids in Lagos or Anambra State joined in this competition

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by niyot124: 8:57am On Feb 10, 2017
adadike281:

So because a Ghanaian girl is representing means we don't have people that can spell in Nigeria.

We have had so many cases whereby Nigerians have made this nation proud internationally. Nigerians are smart, believe it or not.

Stop being so proud of other people's nation and looking down on yours. Don't be a sellout

Ps: a Ghanaian will probably never congratulate a Nigerian over this.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by niyot124: 8:59am On Feb 10, 2017
edoyad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYCptr7Kr4

Exactly, people like her are so full of negativity mtchew
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by mykeljosef: 9:35am On Feb 10, 2017
lalasticlala mynd44 finestboi
fp material here
let's celebrate this small gem
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Babacele: 9:45am On Feb 10, 2017
God bless you Lily....@Niyot124 our largeheartedness at being our African brothers keeper is a special trait we Nigerians brought from heaven . From Gambia, South, Gabon, Africa, Liberia, Sierra Leone abi na our unofficial 38 state Benin republic, or Chad, Niger ,Mali and other nations North of Naija that easily find home here claiming to be hausas'? We are just awesome despite our shortcomings. From peace keeping, aids, and other forms of interventions we have been for our African sisters. Despite Shagari's driving Ghanians out due to recession in the early 80s, many of them stayed behind n claimed to be indigenes or married some of us and were never exposed nor molested . I can tell you we ordinary citizens love them and missed them. ....and they werent the only nationals ...Indians, Egyptian ,Lebanese were affected too by the policy but never hate us. Check out the volume of Naija's investments and patronage in Ghana...na small thing?

Can South Africa history of freedom be written without a special chapter dedicated to Naija's invaluable role against apartheid? Eqt Guinea, Gambia n co nko?

Despite all the beefs from these guys ,we are the real deal and must not fail to play the role of the big brother economically, militarily, socially while they maybe petty. God knows we have millions of latent talents that await discovery ,and freedom from internal nepotism and prejudice. God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by brandonobi(m): 9:53am On Feb 10, 2017
niyot124:

So because a Ghanaian girl is representing means we don't have people that can spell in Nigeria.

We have had so many cases whereby Nigerians have made this nation proud internationally. Nigerians are smart, believe it or not.

Stop being so proud of other people's nation and looking down on yours. Don't be a sellout

if ghanians won't congratulate us we will congratulate them, no beef there
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by niyot124: 10:06am On Feb 10, 2017
Babacele:
God bless you Lily....@Niyot124 our largeheartedness at being our African brothers keeper is a special trait we Nigerians brought from heaven . From Gambia, South, Gabon, Africa, Liberia, Sierra Leone abi na our unofficial 38 state Benin republic, or Chad, Niger ,Mali and other nations North of Naija that easily find home here claiming to be hausas'? We are just awesome despite our shortcomings. From peace keeping, aids, and other forms of interventions we have been for our African sisters. Despite Shagari's driving Ghanians out due to recession in the early 80s, many of them stayed behind n claimed to be indigenes or married some of us and were never exposed nor molested . I can tell you we ordinary citizens love them and missed them. ....and they werent the only nationals ...Indians, Egyptian ,Lebanese were affected too by the policy but never hate us. Check out the volume of Naija's investments and patronage in Ghana...na small thing?

Can South Africa history of freedom be written without a special chapter dedicated to Naija's invaluable role against apartheid? Eqt Guinea, Gambia n co nko?

Despite all the beefs from these guys ,we are the real deal and must not fail to play the role of the big brother economically, militarily, socially while they maybe petty. God knows we have millions of latent talents that await discovery ,and freedom from internal nepotism and prejudice. God bless Nigeria.

AMEN

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by mat2d6boi(m): 1:58pm On Feb 10, 2017
I really wish this girl good luck in her forthcoming competitions Lily, make Africa proud #proudlyafrican
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by UchaNwababa: 2:26pm On Feb 10, 2017
She is my future wife
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by youngsahito(m): 4:15pm On Feb 10, 2017
Indomie company will be doing awuff everywhere but they can't give there workers a good pay.mtshew
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Bahddo(m): 5:44pm On Feb 10, 2017
How come she's representing Africa when she only contested with fellow Ghanaians?

Anyway, good luck to her.
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by adadike281(f): 6:28pm On Feb 10, 2017
niyot124:

I have every right to congratulate her, I refuse to be a kill joy, after all, she is making Africa proud not just Ghana.
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Cletus77(m): 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2017
Babacele:

nice one

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by buzzmania(m): 1:29am On Feb 11, 2017
chumakk:
She is making her country proud not the whole Africa. I know she will not have a chance if those hot kids in Lagos or Anambra State joined in this competition
Keep deluding yourself.No Nigerian can partake in spelling bee because your pronunciation of words are absurd.
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by O0XYGEN: 2:01pm On Feb 11, 2017
Hahaha a nigerian will spell work instead of walk...lol

1 Like

Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by Bahddo(m): 4:23pm On Feb 11, 2017
buzzmania:
Keep deluding yourself.No Nigerian can partake in spelling bee because your pronunciation of words are absurd.
awww... You poor ignorant soul. You probably think your thick Ghanaian accent is Queen's English.
Re: Meet The Girl Representing All Of Africa In This Year's Spelling Bee by buzzmania(m): 5:25pm On Feb 11, 2017
Bahddo:
awww... You poor ignorant soul. You probably think your thick Ghanaian accent is Queen's English.
Weeping online won't fix your croaky accent.You're stuck with it till boko haram bombs your miserable azz into oblivion.Just hope you come back as Ghanaian in your next life.

(1) (Reply)

NDDC Postgraduate Scholarship 2013 Is Out / SHOCKING: REASONS WHY BLACK WOMEN ARE MORE LIKELY TO DIE FROM BREAST CANCER / How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.