Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,102 members, 7,807,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos (1451 Views)

The Bakare Family: Canada To Deport Nigerian Family, The Bakares / China Completes It's £9 Billion Mega Airport In Beijing After 4 Years (Photos) / See Photos Of Akwa Ibom Air Flights Awaiting Delivery From Canada To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos by MtuMsuper: 4:40pm On Feb 10, 2017
Canadian man found in Amazon following '10,000-mile journey barefoot across the continent' after vanishing five years ago
Nick Allen, washington
10 FEBRUARY 2017 • 7:35AM
A Canadian man who vanished five years ago has been found thousands of miles away in a city in the Amazon rain forest after apparently walking much of the way there.

Anton Pilipa, 39, who was last seen by his family in 2012, was discovered wandering barefoot on a track with no passport or identification documents near Manaus, the capital of the state of Amazonas.

His brother Stefan Pilipa told media outlets his sibling had mental health problems and had begun treatment for schizophrenia before disappearing.

He had apparently walked and hitchhiked across two continents, surviving by begging and foraging for food.

"I feel amazed that he's alive and had made it that far," Mr Pilipa told CBC. "I found myself being really frustrated all the time, always having that aching question: 'Where is he? What happened to him?'"

Although details were scarce, the journey of more than 10,000 miles had reportedly taken Pilipa from Vancouver, where he was living, across at least ten borders to Buenos Aires, Argentina, before he turned north again and headed into Brazil.

He was first picked up by police in Brazil in November and taken to hospital but then escaped and headed into the jungle.

Helenice Vidigal, a Brazilian-Canadian police officer who questioned him, said, "That is the area where we talk about huge predators like crocodiles and jungle cats. We truly were afraid he could be eaten by one of those animals."

After being found again near Manaus, Officer Vidigal found Pilipa's family in Canada through Twitter.

Stefan Pilipa, who flew to Brazil to bring his brother back, said: "He looked really rough. His health was starting to deteriorate. We got him just in time."

Anton Pilipa told BBC Brasil: "I know that I am very lucky to be alive. I am very happy to be able to return to my family." In 2011 he was charged with assault and weapons offences but disappeared before he was due in court.

When he arrived back in Toronto this week he was arrested and released on bail.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/09/canadian-man-reportedly-found-amazon-following-10000-mile-journey/

Re: Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos by eezeribe(m): 4:59pm On Feb 10, 2017
Canada... Brazil... Argentina.
He should be the real intercontinental champion,not Dean Ambrose

1 Like

Re: Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 10, 2017
Hhhmmm
Re: Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos by MtuMsuper: 9:33am On Feb 11, 2017
eezeribe:
Canada... Brazil... Argentina. He should be the real intercontinental champion,not Dean Ambrose
Yup, eat your heart out, Marco Polo!!!
Re: Man Walks From Vancouver Canada To Brazilian Jungle In 5 Years - Photos by GetUmad: 11:05am On Feb 11, 2017
I can bet Hollywood would adapt this into a movie soon.

(1) (Reply)

Domino Pizza Festac / How To Package A Schengen Visa! / Look At The Current Situation Of OSRC Road In Akure(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.