Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Short Story: The Man Is Coming - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story: The Man Is Coming (13450 Views)

BDSM EROTIC STORY: The Heaven Between Her Legs / Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / The Man: Bob Dylan, Newly Crowned Nobel Laureate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story: The Man Is Coming by MrsExplorer(f): 7:15pm On Feb 10, 2017
"The Man is Coming"

I stared at David, my 8 year old son, not very surprised that he is awake at this time. I gave a very loud yawn as I tried to pull him close to me but he wouldn't bulge,

"What did you say?" I asked.

"The man is coming" he repeated.

I sat up on the bed, careful not to wake my sleeping wife and tried again to pull him to me, he still didnt bulge so i lifted and placed him on my legs.

"Which man?" I asked even as i thought of the best way to quickly get him to go back to bed, its 2 am and i need to wake up early.

"The man in red, he is coming, i saw him and he is coming"

"Where did you see him?" I asked with a little more concern and attention.

"When i was sleeping"

There was no way anyone could have gotten inside as i made sure i locked the door leading to our room and parlour apartment before going to bed.

"You mean you had a dream?"

"Yes"

I led out a loud breath, i didnt even realize i have been holding my breath all this while. I should have known. David was always waking up from his strange dreams or should i say he loves to sleepwalk. The doctor had said he would get over this as he gets older. I truly hope so.

"Its just a dream" I said. "You remember when i told you that dreams aint real?"

"But Dad, it is real! I saw him"

"You saw the man or whoever he is in your dream, now its time to go back to bed" I tickled him playfully as i spoke.

My children sleeps in the parlour while i and my wife take the bedroom. I carried David to the parlour, careful again not to wake my wife as she must be very tired. I placed him on the small sofa he loves to sleep on while i took a glance at Mary and Martha, my twin daughters, they were so beautiful and identical and in the semi darkness of the parlour i couldn't even tell which was Mary and which was Martha. They were asleep and i wondered why David couldn't be like them, always waking up in the middle of the night.

I double checked the door and windows to be sure it was really locked, then i made a big show of checking under the chairs and behind the curtains and even in the small shelf that decorates the parlour.

"See? There is no man" I said, making an elaborate and comical hand gesture to soothe him, but it didnt work.

"I can't sleep" he said.

"What if i sleep with you?"

"Ok" he said

I folded my self in the small sofa and cuddled him close to me, hoping this time he would fall asleep. Ten minutes in and he still wasn't sleeping.

"Dad, if dreams are not real then why are they so scary?"

I stayed quite for a pretty long time as i did not really have an answer to that question, i was dumbfounded, so much for being the all knowing dad. David might be a kid but his question is pretty logical. I made a mental note to find an answer to that question in the morning but for now i needed to sleep and so does David.

"I don't know son but they are just dreams, we have dreams when we sleep" I said in the most soothing voice i could muster, already getting slightly frustrated.

"But dad..."

"You know what son" i interrupted him "lets play a game. We'll count 1 to 100 together very slowly, when we get to hundred i'll answer all your questions"

So we started counting, i was very sure this would help him sleep, the counting technique had always worked for me when i was suffering from mild insomnia.

"1...2....3.........35....," He was begining to doze off, "36...37..........,62...,63..........,

A loud bang stopped me in mid count. It sounded like hitting the base of a very big metal drum with a strong stick. I jumped from the sofa just as my heart nearly choked on my throat. David jumped too, we were both standing, i held him and motioned for him to stay still. I listened and waited for another bang but there was nothing.

Just as i was about to lead David back to the sofa, i heard another bang louder than the frst one, then i heard someone scream. My tongue took on the familiar taste of fear and my heart began pounding so fast i thought i was having a heart attack. The noise had woken Mary and Martha and they looked at me, more confused than scared.

I quitely tiptoed towards them while silently whispered to David to go into the bedroom. I lifted my two beautiful daughters in my arms and carried them inside. My wife had woken up too and she was visibly scared.

"Honey, what's the noise?" she whispered.

"Its the man, he is coming" David said before i could find my voice.

"What man?" My wife asked, her eyes wide open and at that moment i knew i needed to be strong for her and for my kids even if i have to fake it.

I explained to my wife that David had a dream and in the dream a man in red came into our house. My wife stared at me then at David,

"What do we do?" She asked.

"We stay quite" I said.

There was another bang, this time i was sure it was gunshot. My thought was racing..,could it be an armed robber?

I stood frozen, it was the silent sob of my daughters that took me away from the shock, quickly i grabbed my phone from the bedstand with the intention of calling the police station in that area. It was then i realized my phone was dead, Fvck! My hand was terribly shaken and tried as i did to appear calm, i failed.

You think you understand fear? Wait till you see the face of your three children staring right at you with fear written all over their faces waiting for you to do something. At that moment you are there God and then you wonder if you would ever forgive yourself if something was to happen to them.

I grabbed my wife's phone and tried to call the local security man's number, it rang but he wasn't piking. I kept dialling.

"He is coming?" David said again.

"SHUT UP!" i screamed.

I was loosing it, never in my life have i been in this kind of situation and in becoming a dad, no one prepped you for a time like this. My scream was at that moment the more scary thing to happen to my family as they all soon burst into full sobs, including my wife. David was staring into space as if out of this world, unaware of what was going on. I pulled every one close and tried my best to offer comfort.

"Hey sweeties" i said, trying so hard to stop my voice from cracking. "We' re going to keep quite and not make any noise, no crying now. Its just the security men going round making sure that there is nothing wrong but i need to go do something in the parlour"

My wife held my hand, warning me not to go. I walked as quitely as i could to the parlour, switched off the rechargeable lamp then brought the curtians down, i double checked the door and windows, made sure it was locked then i went back to the room.

When i got back to the room, i signalled again for everyone to keep quite while i stood in front of the door leading to the room and kept dialling the security guards number, he still wasn't picking.

Outside, in the passage, there was a large sound like someone smashing a door open, a scream then 2 gunshots, another scream then laughter, a very loud and strange laughter.

I looked at my kids, they were crying, as silently as they could. I stared at my wife, her eyes were closed and she was mumbling something, i guess she was praying. I looked at David, he was the calmest, looking at me, No, not really looking at me, looking through me as if i wasn't there, as if he saw something no one was seeing.

I kept motioning for them to keep quite. Then i heard a voice, it was coming from the passage.

"Come out, come out, dont wait for me to pull down your door, you know i can do it, you know i would do it"

No one dared move, i thought of what my neighbours would be doing by now, we re eight tenants in this block and by the gunshots, a family could alredy be dead.

Oh God, i whispered. Please dont let anything happen to my family. I couldn't even remember the last time i prayed to God.

Then i had the laugh again and another gunshot, i jumped and so did my daughters. I ran to them and held them to me as if by that will, we could all just disapper and come back when this was all over.

"Dad, are we going to die?" martha asked.

Tears was nearly pouring down my cheeks,

"No dear, we are not going to die"

"He is coming, dad, he is coming" David's voice broke the silence that followed my statement.

"Ok lets play a game" the voice with the gun said. "Come out, open your doors and i wont have to kill you"

I heard nothing at first then i heard a door open, someone must have open their door, would the man let them live?

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by AlamienDagash(m): 8:33pm On Feb 10, 2017
wow! am Bit scared too. nice update fast fast cc. hadampson bibi294 dtobs u nid tew c dis
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Hadampson(m): 10:12pm On Feb 10, 2017
AlamienDagash:
wow! am Bit scared too. nice update fast fast cc. hadampson bibi294 dtobs u nid tew c dis

*enter wit ferarri nd park it in da kitchen* wah iz apenin broshockedshocked hope ayam nur mizzin sth here

by d way, thanks 4 d mention
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Hadampson(m): 10:19pm On Feb 10, 2017
D Audience iz kinda little.. perhaps i cn be of epp..

cc: sunshine46, angelinastto, bibijay, spdazzy, harameede99, adesina12, dapo97, yungtemy, cerewo, samyfreshsmooth, oly23, hormobolanle, yewandequeen, uncleini, olatex25, switup, nastynic, babsopey, rachealfst, chumzypinky, eniqurl, xolocious, skillful, moscow0147, chizzymaris. come one!! come all!! u're all invited
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Divepen1(m): 4:29am On Feb 11, 2017
it's scary. And the father sef dey fear o. For this, I'm arming all my children with AK47.
By the way, you should check out for verb usage- tense, aspect etc

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Nobody: 6:13am On Feb 11, 2017
Hadampson:

cc: sunshine46, angelinastto, bibijay, spdazzy, harameede99, adesina12, dapo97, yungtemy, cerewo, samyfreshsmooth, oly23, hormobolanle, yewandequeen, uncleini, olatex25, switup, nastynic, babsopey, rachealfst, chumzypinky, eniqurl, xolocious, skillful, moscow0147, chizzymaris. come one!! come all!! u're all invited

I'll be at the vip section.
thanks for the mention.

i read this at 1:07 am and its aready 6:10am.
scared the creep outta me.

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by DTOBS(m): 6:47am On Feb 11, 2017
AlamienDagash:
Okay.. .here we go...

Can you please shift?
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by DTOBS(m): 7:00am On Feb 11, 2017
Wow.. .nice story.. .
Let me invite blizzydodo, Spixytinxy to come see this
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by AlamienDagash(m): 7:16am On Feb 11, 2017
DTOBS:
Okay.. .here we go...

Can you please shift?
Ur wish na my command

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by AlamienDagash(m): 7:19am On Feb 11, 2017
Hadampson:

*enter wit ferarri nd park it in da kitchen* wah iz apenin broshockedshocked hope ayam nur mizzin sth here

by d way, thanks 4 d mention
Yeah ur v.i.p seats was already reserved 4u
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Lemmy123(m): 7:37am On Feb 11, 2017
MrsExplorer though you said it's a short story but is that all?
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Dapo97(m): 10:42am On Feb 11, 2017
Hadampson:

i dan land grin
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by samyfreshsmooth(m): 10:46am On Feb 11, 2017
Hadampson:

thanks 4 d mention boss..........this is 1 hell of a scary story......

i'm following

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by YungTemy(m): 9:52pm On Feb 11, 2017
Hadampson:

thanks so much for the mention.
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by xaviercasmir(m): 10:10pm On Feb 11, 2017
JESU!!!!! I was just about to piss 4 my knicker oo.
RIDE ON

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Hadampson(m): 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2017
YungTemy:

thanks so much for the mention.
U're most welcum bro.. i sent yewandequeen on an errand, she will be back in few minutes.. smiley

here she cumz!! where iz d BLUE LABEL dah i ask yhu tew buy? undecided okay! oya take diz #5 make u use am buy sumtin 4 dtobsgringrin
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Yewandequeen(f): 11:06pm On Feb 11, 2017
Hadampson:
U're most welcum bro.. i sent yewandequeen on an errand, she will be back in few minutes.. smiley

here she cumz!! where iz d BLUE LABEL dah i ask yhu tew buy? undecided okay! oya take diz #5 make u use am buy sumtin 4 dtobsgringrin
Smiles.

Errand? Me?
How dare u say such to me and my baby boo dtobs when u re not even worthy of cleaning my bae's shoe?
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Yewandequeen(f): 11:18pm On Feb 11, 2017
This is scary cry

I hope i dont have nightmare after reading this#dtobs holde me close please........ am scared.Hadampson please check and confirm that all doors and windows are secured .. Now!
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Yewandequeen(f): 11:19pm On Feb 11, 2017
samyfreshsmooth:

thanks 4 d mention boss..........this is 1 hell of a scary story......

i'm following

Truly scary
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by samyfreshsmooth(m): 6:11am On Feb 12, 2017
Yewandequeen:

Truly scary
yea.......u dont have to be scared though

am here for u wink wink

y dont u come sit on my thighs while we watch abi read this movie abi story
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by DTOBS(m): 7:14am On Feb 12, 2017
Hadampson:

Lol.. .you must be high on cheap drugs. grin

samyfreshsmooth:

am here for u wink wink

Bros! Keep off.. .or trailer will jam you..

Yewandequeen:
This is scary cry

I hope i dont have nightmare after reading this#dtobs holde me close please........ am scared.Hadampson please check and confirm that all doors and windows are secured .. Now!

Baby, nothing to be scared of... It's just a story...

I hope you slept well on my chest! Oya let's prepare for service...By the way the night was awesome, you too much.

Yewandequeen:

Smiles.

Errand? Me?
How dare u say such to me and my baby boo dtobs when u re not even worthy of cleaning my bae's shoe?
Gbam! That's my slayqueen...always got my back..

The best any man can ever asks for.
Yewandequeen is Bae...

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Yewandequeen(f): 7:42am On Feb 12, 2017
DTOBS:

Baby, nothing to be scared of... It's just a story...

I hope you slept well on my chest! Oya let's prepare for service...By the way the night was awesome, you too much.

Gbam! That's my slayqueen...always got my back..

The best any man can ever asks for.
Yewandequeen is Bae...

Good morning sweet,
Thanks for being there, i sure slept well.

No other lovely position than sleeping on chest ur chest,u kept me warm all tru the night.

Same here, time for service #peace

1 Like

Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Yewandequeen(f): 8:02am On Feb 12, 2017
samyfreshsmooth:

am here for u wink wink

Smirk look
Be careful wat u wish for
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Hadampson(m): 9:43am On Feb 12, 2017
Yewandequeen:

Smiles.

Errand? Me?
Chaishockedshocked see as yewandequeen lambasted me..sad <<in dame jonathan's voice>> diaris God o.gringrin

P.S Ayam nur worthy of cleanin ya boo's shoe coz am nur a cobblersmiley itz only cobbler dah qualify tew clean shoe nd polish it.cheesy
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Hadampson(m): 10:02am On Feb 12, 2017
Yewandequeen:
This is scary cry

U're funnycheesy y dnt u sent dtobs tew go nd check.. Y me??sad
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by Hadampson(m): 10:05am On Feb 12, 2017
samyfreshsmooth:

am here for u wink wink

Sammy u don start again abi
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by ladyverere(f): 11:29am On Feb 12, 2017
MrsExplorer:
"The Man is Coming"

I stared at David, my 8 year old son, not very surprised that he is awake at this time. I gave a very loud yawn as I tried to pull him close to me but he wouldn't bulge,

"What did you say?" I asked.

"The man is coming" he repeated.

I sat up on the bed, careful not to wake my sleeping wife and tried again to pull him to me, he still didnt bulge so i lifted and placed him on my legs.

"Which man?" I asked even as i thought of the best way to quickly get him to go back to bed, its 2 am and i need to wake up early.

"The man in red, he is coming, i saw him and he is coming"

"Where did you see him?" I asked with a little more concern and attention.

"When i was sleeping"

There was no way anyone could have gotten inside as i made sure i locked the door leading to our room and parlour apartment before going to bed.

"You mean you had a dream?"

"Yes"

I led out a loud breath, i didnt even realize i have been holding my breath all this while. I should have known. David was always waking up from his strange dreams or should i say he loves to sleepwalk. The doctor had said he would get over this as he gets older. I truly hope so.

"Its just a dream" I said. "You remember when i told you that dreams aint real?"

"But Dad, it is real! I saw him"

"You saw the man or whoever he is in your dream, now its time to go back to bed" I tickled him playfully as i spoke.

My children sleeps in the parlour while i and my wife take the bedroom. I carried David to the parlour, careful again not to wake my wife as she must be very tired. I placed him on the small sofa he loves to sleep on while i took a glance at Mary and Martha, my twin daughters, they were so beautiful and identical and in the semi darkness of the parlour i couldn't even tell which was Mary and which was Martha. They were asleep and i wondered why David couldn't be like them, always waking up in the middle of the night.

I double checked the door and windows to be sure it was really locked, then i made a big show of checking under the chairs and behind the curtains and even in the small shelf that decorates the parlour.

"See? There is no man" I said, making an elaborate and comical hand gesture to soothe him, but it didnt work.

"I can't sleep" he said.

"What if i sleep with you?"

"Ok" he said

I folded my self in the small sofa and cuddled him close to me, hoping this time he would fall asleep. Ten minutes in and he still wasn't sleeping.

"Dad, if dreams are not real then why are they so scary?"

I stayed quite for a pretty long time as i did not really have an answer to that question, i was dumbfounded, so much for being the all knowing dad. David might be a kid but his question is pretty logical. I made a mental note to find an answer to that question in the morning but for now i needed to sleep and so does David.

"I don't know son but they are just dreams, we have dreams when we sleep" I said in the most soothing voice i could muster, already getting slightly frustrated.

"But dad..."

"You know what son" i interrupted him "lets play a game. We'll count 1 to 100 together very slowly, when we get to hundred i'll answer all your questions"

So we started counting, i was very sure this would help him sleep, the counting technique had always worked for me when i was suffering from mild insomnia.

"1...2....3.........35....," He was begining to doze off, "36...37..........,62...,63..........,

A loud bang stopped me in mid count. It sounded like hitting the base of a very big metal drum with a strong stick. I jumped from the sofa just as my heart nearly choked on my throat. David jumped too, we were both standing, i held him and motioned for him to stay still. I listened and waited for another bang but there was nothing.

Just as i was about to lead David back to the sofa, i heard another bang louder than the frst one, then i heard someone scream. My tongue took on the familiar taste of fear and my heart began pounding so fast i thought i was having a heart attack. The noise had woken Mary and Martha and they looked at me, more confused than scared.

I quitely tiptoed towards them while silently whispered to David to go into the bedroom. I lifted my two beautiful daughters in my arms and carried them inside. My wife had woken up too and she was visibly scared.

"Honey, what's the noise?" she whispered.

"Its the man, he is coming" David said before i could find my voice.

"What man?" My wife asked, her eyes wide open and at that moment i knew i needed to be strong for her and for my kids even if i have to fake it.

I explained to my wife that David had a dream and in the dream a man in red came into our house. My wife stared at me then at David,

"What do we do?" She asked.

"We stay quite" I said.

There was another bang, this time i was sure it was gunshot. My thought was racing..,could it be an armed robber?

I stood frozen, it was the silent sob of my daughters that took me away from the shock, quickly i grabbed my phone from the bedstand with the intention of calling the police station in that area. It was then i realized my phone was dead, Fvck! My hand was terribly shaken and tried as i did to appear calm, i failed.

You think you understand fear? Wait till you see the face of your three children staring right at you with fear written all over their faces waiting for you to do something. At that moment you are there God and then you wonder if you would ever forgive yourself if something was to happen to them.

I grabbed my wife's phone and tried to call the local security man's number, it rang but he wasn't piking. I kept dialling.

"He is coming?" David said again.

"SHUT UP!" i screamed.

I was loosing it, never in my life have i been in this kind of situation and in becoming a dad, no one prepped you for a time like this. My scream was at that moment the more scary thing to happen to my family as they all soon burst into full sobs, including my wife. David was staring into space as if out of this world, unaware of what was going on. I pulled every one close and tried my best to offer comfort.

"Hey sweeties" i said, trying so hard to stop my voice from cracking. "We' re going to keep quite and not make any noise, no crying now. Its just the security men going round making sure that there is nothing wrong but i need to go do something in the parlour"

My wife held my hand, warning me not to go. I walked as quitely as i could to the parlour, switched off the rechargeable lamp then brought the curtians down, i double checked the door and windows, made sure it was locked then i went back to the room.

When i got back to the room, i signalled again for everyone to keep quite while i stood in front of the door leading to the room and kept dialling the security guards number, he still wasn't picking.

Outside, in the passage, there was a large sound like someone smashing a door open, a scream then 2 gunshots, another scream then laughter, a very loud and strange laughter.

I looked at my kids, they were crying, as silently as they could. I stared at my wife, her eyes were closed and she was mumbling something, i guess she was praying. I looked at David, he was the calmest, looking at me, No, not really looking at me, looking through me as if i wasn't there, as if he saw something no one was seeing.

I kept motioning for them to keep quite. Then i heard a voice, it was coming from the passage.

"Come out, come out, dont wait for me to pull down your door, you know i can do it, you know i would do it"

No one dared move, i thought of what my neighbours would be doing by now, we re eight tenants in this block and by the gunshots, a family could alredy be dead.

Oh God, i whispered. Please dont let anything happen to my family. I couldn't even remember the last time i prayed to God.

Then i had the laugh again and another gunshot, i jumped and so did my daughters. I ran to them and held them to me as if by that will, we could all just disapper and come back when this was all over.

"Dad, are we going to die?" martha asked.

Tears was nearly pouring down my cheeks,

"No dear, we are not going to die"

"He is coming, dad, he is coming" David's voice broke the silence that followed my statement.

"Ok lets play a game" the voice with the gun said. "Come out, open your doors and i wont have to kill you"

I heard nothing at first then i heard a door open, someone must have open their door, would the man let them live?

My heart is thumping right now with raw fear! It's like it's happening to me. Wow.
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by DTOBS(m): 11:46am On Feb 12, 2017
Hadampson:
U're funnycheesy y dnt u sent dtobs tew go nd check.. Y me??sad
Lolzz.. .because you are the houseboy!
And "na person pikin wey dey send on night errand" - Yoruba Proverb

Moreover, myself and my yewandequeen Slayqueen are busy inside...
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by samyfreshsmooth(m): 11:50am On Feb 12, 2017
Yewandequeen:

Smirk look
Be careful wat u wish for

hmmmm i'm liking u already........

but i would resist the overwhelming urge to engage u in a convo that am sure would have been gripping cos i promised my 8th great grand dad to never derail a thread on nl again.....

ps: if u're interested i'd like to take u to room10 @the_club to show u something fascinating wink wink
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by samyfreshsmooth(m): 11:53am On Feb 12, 2017
Hadampson:
Sammy u don start again abi

bros no vex....lemme come and be going
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by samyfreshsmooth(m): 12:10pm On Feb 12, 2017
DTOBS:
Bros! Keep off.. .or trailer will jam you..

bros dont u know who i am

hadampson never tell u my story?....
Re: Short Story: The Man Is Coming by DTOBS(m): 12:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
samyfreshsmooth:

bros dont u know who i am

hadampson never tell u my story?....

Lol.. .
No! I don't know who you are.

And Hadampson didn't tell me your story.. .

So, who are you and what is your story?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Day Jonah Became A Fish! / Start Voting For 'Nairaland Top Writers' For 2020 ***CLOSED*** / Ibkaye's Oral Story Haven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.