Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer (1167 Views)

See The Plate Of Rice I Cooked With Just 200 Naira / I've Not Cooked In 8 Months - Nigerian Lady Writes / The Pot Of Soup A Man Cooked With N1000 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 7:49pm On Feb 10, 2017
In the average home, rice is a must-eat food on a daily basis, especially when you have children around.

It’s so easy to cook — or so many of us assume, what with the unceremonious ways we pour it into the pot and cook it in a jiffy!

Yet, researchers are saying that the way we cook rice can lead to diseases and death!

Scientists warn that rice contains a worrying amount of arsenic, a harmful chemical that can cause heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

According to a group of researchers in Northern Ireland, the way most people cook rice, which is by boiling it in a pan until it absorbs the water, doesn’t get rid of the toxin.

Researchers warn that traces of the poison arsenic – a chemical that contaminates rice as a result of industrial toxins and pesticides used in the growing process – can be found in the rice even after cooking the way we do.

The safest way to cook rice is to soak it overnight first, wash it with cool water the following morning, before finally cooking it.

The researchers found that this reduced arsenic levels by 80 percent. Chronic exposure to arsenic has recognised links to a range of health problems including heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Thankfully, there’s no reason to panic just yet, as a series of experiments showed that it is possible to reduce our levels of exposure to arsenic by simply changing the way we cook rice.

A professor of biological sciences at Queens University Belfast, Andy Meharg, tested three ways of cooking rice to see whether it altered the levels of arsenic. In the first method, he used a ratio of two parts water to one part rice, allowing the water to ‘steam out’, as identified above.

In the second, he used five parts water to one part rice, washing off excessive water before serving. This saw the levels of arsenic almost halved.

Finally, the rice was soaked in water overnight before beingcooked the next day, resulting in an 80 per cent reduction ofthe toxin.

For the safest results, the overnight rice should be rinsed until the water is clear, before being drained and boiled in a saucepan using a ratio of five parts water to one part rice.

Source:
http://www.punchng.com/how-you-cook-rice-can-result-in-hypertension-cancer/

Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by yomi007k(m): 7:55pm On Feb 10, 2017
N be smqll thing....no food is safe ds days.
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 7:59pm On Feb 10, 2017
yomi007k:
N be small thing....no food is safe ds days.
Some will not even wash rice before cooking it. They will claim that the quantity of the cooked rice will increase when not washed.
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by yomi007k(m): 8:00pm On Feb 10, 2017
abdrazak:

Some will not even wash rice before cooking it. They will claim that the quantity of the cooked rice will increase when not washed.

Haba.....na wa oo
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 8:04pm On Feb 10, 2017
Lalasticlala, Seun
What did you think?
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by subtlemee(f): 8:08pm On Feb 10, 2017
Most people don't plan to cook rice,most times it happens that you cook it without no intention of cooking it that day so in this case what do we do with the soaking?

Researchers and their confusion
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by donolatunji(m): 8:10pm On Feb 10, 2017
Gbese Re O
Motungbo Titun O
Anyways I'll Start To Fry Or Bake My Own Rice Jeje Cus Ion Wanna Catch All Those Things Op Listed Up There.
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 8:20pm On Feb 10, 2017
subtlemee:
Most people don't plan to cook rice,most times it happens that you cook it without no intention of cooking it that day so in this case what do we do with the soaking?

Researchers and their confusion

The food I know that required soaking a little before taking is garrious (garri).

Rice will now be soaked for approximately 12hrs before cooking.
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 8:23pm On Feb 10, 2017
donolatunji:
Gbese Re O
Motungbo Titun O
Anyways I'll Start To Fry Or Bake My Own Rice Jeje Cus Ion Wanna Catch All Those Things Op Listed Up There.
The technique you can employ is this:
Sun dry ------ Smoke ------ Refrigerate ------ Boil ------- Fry

I hope this helps
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by donolatunji(m): 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2017
abdrazak:
The technique you can employ is this: Sun dry ------ Smoke ------ Refrigerate ------ Boil ------- Fry

I hope this helps
Yea Buh Boil No Dey
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by Airoflaw(m): 10:33pm On Feb 10, 2017
don't eat this don't eat DAT...wetin person wan eat self. d other dey talk say ponmo no good, bushmeat no good, meat no good na waooo

1 Like

Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 10, 2017
Soak overnight
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 8:55am On Feb 11, 2017
Nma27:
Soak overnight
Nma27
If you want to cook rice in the night, you have to soak it since morning to completely remove the arsenic.

That is craziness of the highest order
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 11, 2017
abdrazak:

Nma27
If you want to cook rice in the night, you have to soak it since morning to completely remove the arsenic.

That is craziness of the highest order
Gat no time for that. We'll all die one day
Re: Cooked Rice Can Result To Hypertension, Cancer by abdrazak: 9:56am On Feb 11, 2017
Nma27:
Gat no time for that. We'll all die one day
Baba God have already stamped that.

One kind thing is going to kill person one day.

(1) (Reply)

Drinking Forever Aloe Vera Gel Aids In Digestion / 10 Must-have Ebooks For Food Entrepreneurs, Bakers, Processors And Nutritionist / Buy our yoghurt recipe and get custard recipe for free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.