Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) (31630 Views)

A Nairalander's Visit To Knowsley Safari Park In Liverpool / A Nairalander's Visit To Agulu Lake Hotel, Anambra For Christmas Party (Photos) / "My Visit To Volos Statue Of Liberty In Greece" (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Bbsharon(f): 5:24pm On Feb 11, 2017
The statue MOREMI AJASORO which stands at 42 feet tall is located in the city of Ile-Ife in osun state, Nigeria. It is the tallest statue in Nigeria presently and the 3rd tallest in the whole of Africa, it was constructed by home based engineers and materials which I must say is quite encouraging. On 21st of November 2016 the magnificent statue was unveiled by the Ooni of Ife Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, who is unarguably one of the most influential king in the country and since emergence as king has done tremendous changes in the city. I must say Ile-Ife have been experiencing a good face lift of its environs of recent. Am a witness to this changes as I wasn't told but experiencing it too as a student schooling in Ife.

To get there is not hard, when you get to Ife particularly Oau campus gate you can take a bus going to Ife city and highlight at a junction called Eleyele, then take a bike not more than 70naira at most to the place. It is a well known place so you don't have to worry about the bike men not being familiar with the place . And trust the people of Ife , for their hospitality and friendliness, the bike man will begin to jist you about all you need to know and would even like to show you round the town if you don't mind as in my case.

The spot the statue is constructed is believed to be where the great heroine Moremi Ajasoro lived around the 12th century. She takes a very significant place in the history of the yoruba people.
She was married to the great king of Ile Ife, at that time the people of Ife have been in a long war with masked men unknown to them from a neighbouring town of "Igbo Kingdom"  and many of it's soldiers and people have been enslaved and taken captives by this people of " Igbo". In order to bring an end to the sufferings of her people, Moremi set out to be captured by the invaders when next they come fighting but not without  making a great sacrifice to the spirit river Esimirin to help her reveal the secret about the invaders. She got her request but the spirit river told her she had to give back something in return which at the end of the day turned out to be her only son Oluronbi which is one of the greatest sacrifice she ever made.

While abducted as a slave, the king of the land got attracted by her beauty and got married to her. After some time she familiarised herself with the secrets of her husband army and made an escape back to Ife to reveal all she found out and this in return liberated her people finally from the abductors. The torch she holds as seen in the statue is significant of the tool the people of Ife used to burn out the masked attires the invaders camouflaged in as evil spirit.

Today Moremi Ajasoro is celebrated as a great heroine of the people of the yoruba land. She has been named after many other little statues and places in the yoruba land.

Lalasticlala please help move to front page

http://www.demitalks.com/2017/02/a-visit-to-moremi-statue-of-liberty-in.html?m=1

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Bbsharon(f): 5:25pm On Feb 11, 2017
So I also met some little boys who to me serve as the custodian with their mom(lol) and we took some lovely pictures. And guess what no gate fee it is absolutely free so you see it is all fun and no pay.

Lalasticlala justwise please help move to front page

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Bbsharon(f): 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2017
So I had fun going to this place and seeing this statue of liberty myself, so next time you are around Osun state or particular Ife city do not hesitate to pay a visit to this great place of honour.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by casttlebarbz(m): 5:35pm On Feb 11, 2017
fine girl

21 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by jejemanito: 5:41pm On Feb 11, 2017

You snap yaself so tey e come be like say na you them visit grin

Ya look pretty tho wink

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Kingmee: 5:58pm On Feb 11, 2017
Who's the MOREMI AJASORO btw you and the statue?

I'll love to visit one day sha

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Scatterscatter(m): 6:01pm On Feb 11, 2017
Bbsharon Your beauty has overshadowed the whole essence of the write up sef, Nawa for you o smiley kiss

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Eleniyan15: 6:11pm On Feb 11, 2017
FineLady,have been crushing on her nose since 1914 yet she no dey reply my pm,Fynestboi help me get her location one better juice for you

12 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Bbsharon(f): 6:47pm On Feb 11, 2017
Kingmee:
Who's the MOREMI AJASORO btw you and the statue?

I'll love to visit one day sha

You should...it's a lovely place.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by djlaqua91(m): 9:53pm On Feb 11, 2017
This OP fine make I no lie. Nice trip though

13 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by MrPresident1: 10:13pm On Feb 11, 2017
Fine lady grin

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:14pm On Feb 11, 2017
Ok nice one grin cheesy cheesy I love excusion

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by potbelly(m): 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
Op, seems you love sight seeing...
Cool... cool
p.s seems the MOD who pushes your thread to the promise land has a crush on you... Don't ask me how I know... wink
It may even be oga seun sef cheesy

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Mist115: 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nigeria should diversify frm oil trade to entertainment and tourism as her main revenue earner

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by rifasenate11(m): 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
ok

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Slaveman343: 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
See as op fine

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by RockHard: 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
Cool.
Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by ameezy(m): 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2017
angry

grin
Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2017
I didn't even read her writeup grin
I was checking op out cheesy

Black beauty kiss

#YOLO

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2017
Next
Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by bayocanny: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nice one OP, have u visited the original statue of Liberty in New York?

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by menwongo(m): 10:20pm On Feb 11, 2017
See as everyone the comment you beauty.
No go bleach oooo, we no trust Nigerian girls again.
Some times I wonder whether dark complexion d bite Una for body?

23 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) by curvilicious: 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2017
Adverti
Na ur pic plenty pass Moremi own

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Katsina Flood Carries Young Wife Of 3 Days, Body Found In Niger Republic. Photo / Dangote Truck Plunged Into River At Obadore Bridge, Igando - Photos / The Poor State Of Port-Harcourt - Aba Train Services (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.