Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone (22159 Views)

9 Ways You Are Accidentally Damaging Your Smart Phone / 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery / How Smartphones Are Gradually Damaging Your Eyes - MUST READ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by AfterEarth(f): 6:41pm On Feb 12, 2017
1. Installing malware

One of the biggest misconceptions about
smartphones is that you don’t have to worry about
security with them nearly as much as you do with
your computer. But that’s a myth, and downloading
apps at random without doing your research is a
great way to end up with malware on your device.

Malware ends up on your phone via an app, so it’s in your best interest to avoid downloading apps from third-party stores or clicking download links on suspicious websites, even if they show the icon and name of an app you think you can trust.

Downloading an infected app is a great way to damage or even permanently ruin your phone, so your best bet is to only download apps from trusted sources, always be vigilant about what you’re downloading, and be careful about which apps you’re granting permissions, especially if you’ve rooted or jailbroken your phone.

2. Leaving your phone plugged in

Leaving your smartphone plugged in and charging all night isn’t great for the longevity of the device. It may not really be a problem to leave your phone plugged in for a couple of hours once it’s charged completely, since devices can limit the power being transferred to the battery once that battery is fully charged.

But there’s no benefit to continuing to charge your phone after the battery reaches 100%, and leaving the device plugged in for long periods of time can
generate excess heat and damage your phone.

Another great way to damage your phone as you
charge it? Leaving the device plugged in when it’s
tucked under your pillow or even just sitting on top
of your mattress. A smartphone heats up as it’s
charging, and if you don’t place it somewhere where
that heat can dissipate, it can overheat.

3. Allowing your phone to overheat

Speaking of overheating, your phone doesn’t have to
be plugged in for the device to get too hot. Whether
you’re reading the news on the beach or playing a
game at your neighbor’s barbecue, it’s relatively easy for your phone to overheat in strong sunlight. Even leaving your phone on the table while you jump in the lake can be enough to make your phone
overheat, and in some cases, a phone can get hot
enough to shut down when left in direct sunlight,
even in an air-conditioned room.

The problem there is that excessive heat can damage the battery. That’s never a good thing, particularly because most people want longer battery life out of their smartphones, not shorter times between charges.

Typically, a phone that overheats will shut itself off to prevent damage. But repeatedly pushing your phone to that point will likely do more harm than good, so shielding your phone from the sun, turning it off if you have to leave it in a hot car, and otherwise keeping your device at a comfortable temperature is a good idea to prevent accidental damage.

4. Keeping your phone on 24/7

Just like you turn your computer off when you aren’t
using it, it’s a good idea to shut your phone down at
least occasionally to give it a rest. Leaving your phone on all the time burns through the life expectancy of its components more quickly than you would by shutting it off every once in a while.

Regularly shutting down your device, or even simply rebooting it, will help ensure that caches are cleared and that everything is running smoothly. Think of it as a well-deserved power nap for what may be the hardest-working device you use on a daily basis.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Nobody: 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
Op, goan sleep tomorrow is Monday

7 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by pr0blem: 8:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
AfterEarth:
1. Installing malware

One of the biggest misconceptions about
smartphones is that you don’t have to worry about
security with them nearly as much as you do with
your computer. But that’s a myth, and downloading
apps at random without doing your research is a
great way to end up with malware on your device.

Malware ends up on your phone via an app, so it’s in your best interest to avoid downloading apps from third-party stores or clicking download links on suspicious websites, even if they show the icon and name of an app you think you can trust.

Downloading an infected app is a great way to damage or even permanently ruin your phone, so your best bet is to only download apps from trusted sources, always be vigilant about what you’re downloading, and be careful about which apps you’re granting permissions, especially if you’ve rooted or jailbroken your phone.

2. Leaving your phone plugged in

Leaving your smartphone plugged in and charging all night isn’t great for the longevity of the device. It may not really be a problem to leave your phone plugged in for a couple of hours once it’s charged completely, since devices can limit the power being transferred to the battery once that battery is fully charged.

But there’s no benefit to continuing to charge your phone after the battery reaches 100%, and leaving the device plugged in for long periods of time can
generate excess heat and damage your phone.

Another great way to damage your phone as you
charge it? Leaving the device plugged in when it’s
tucked under your pillow or even just sitting on top
of your mattress. A smartphone heats up as it’s
charging, and if you don’t place it somewhere where
that heat can dissipate, it can overheat.

3. Allowing your phone to overheat

Speaking of overheating, your phone doesn’t have to
be plugged in for the device to get too hot. Whether
you’re reading the news on the beach or playing a
game at your neighbor’s barbecue, it’s relatively easy for your phone to overheat in strong sunlight. Even leaving your phone on the table while you jump in the lake can be enough to make your phone
overheat, and in some cases, a phone can get hot
enough to shut down when left in direct sunlight,
even in an air-conditioned room.

The problem there is that excessive heat can damage the battery. That’s never a good thing, particularly because most people want longer battery life out of their smartphones, not shorter times between charges.

Typically, a phone that overheats will shut itself off to prevent damage. But repeatedly pushing your phone to that point will likely do more harm than good, so shielding your phone from the sun, turning it off if you have to leave it in a hot car, and otherwise keeping your device at a comfortable temperature is a good idea to prevent accidental damage.

4. Keeping your phone on 24/7

Just like you turn your computer off when you aren’t
using it, it’s a good idea to shut your phone down at
least occasionally to give it a rest. Leaving your phone on all the time burns through the life expectancy of its components more quickly than you would by shutting it off every once in a while.

Regularly shutting down your device, or even simply rebooting it, will help ensure that caches are cleared and that everything is running smoothly. Think of it as a well-deserved power nap for what may be the hardest-working device you use on a daily basis.

nice Info bro

5 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by FellaL: 8:21pm On Feb 12, 2017
hmm cool info
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Akachukwu42(m): 3:57am On Feb 13, 2017
It's ok

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 13, 2017
Thanks a lot,op

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by AfterEarth(f): 6:57am On Feb 13, 2017
pr0blem:
nice Info bro
I'm not a bro cheesy
Lalasticlala
smiley
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Izzystevens: 7:07am On Feb 13, 2017
pr0blem:
nice Info bro

He had to quote the whole write up...Smh

14 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by toyinjimoh(m): 7:07am On Feb 13, 2017
hope Nigerian ladies are reading dis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Antoeni(m): 7:09am On Feb 13, 2017
Ok noted
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by promisechild(m): 7:09am On Feb 13, 2017
tell we should kukuma not use phone again nah.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by joey150(m): 7:10am On Feb 13, 2017
Number 2 is wrong.. Remember that they are called SMART-Phone for a reason

Number 4 cannot damage the phone either...

At worst malware will corrupt your o.s.

I dont even see where you are going with thia undecided

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by kingvectorv(m): 7:10am On Feb 13, 2017
ok... we don hear you
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by olaezebala: 7:10am On Feb 13, 2017
All this 7 ways to 6 ways to that una just de push everywhere without any statistics to back it up en. OK make i add my own.

5. Leaving the brightness of ur phone at 100% will damage it.
6. Picking the calls of ur ex will damage the phone board.
7. Leaving ur phone on valentine day wen u have more than 2 girlfriends will spoil the screen.

una need more?

19 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by worlexy(m): 7:10am On Feb 13, 2017
Those Malwares spoilt my last Android phone, they hijacked my phone and started feeding on my data, downloading applications on their own, and slowing my phone, even anti malware couldn't save me

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Nobody: 7:11am On Feb 13, 2017
op No 1. is real but apart from that StFU lil Birch... issue of over heating is normal same as u mentioned .one living his device on for long ? so I should switch of my device ?? for no reason

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by wHyyyyyyyyyY: 7:11am On Feb 13, 2017
I do all dis wit my fone except #1 cry cry
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Kizyte(m): 7:12am On Feb 13, 2017
I think my phone is smarter, so I have nothing to worry about. It warns me of possible dangers and sometimes takes its own decision to avoid being damaged. I'm happy with my phone's smartness and artificial intelligence. kiss

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by maxiuc(m): 7:12am On Feb 13, 2017
Goodmorning everyone
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by ay0bami: 7:12am On Feb 13, 2017
Number 2 tí sẹlẹ si mi , the phone refuse to ON till date

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Igboboy59(m): 7:13am On Feb 13, 2017
Informative
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by sakalisis(m): 7:14am On Feb 13, 2017
Ok
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by MrGreenMavro: 7:15am On Feb 13, 2017
hmm
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 13, 2017
AfterEarth:
I'm not a bro cheesy
smiley

Lol. Thanks for the info SIS.

I had my phone plugged in overnight and on my bed throughout the night. embarassed

I hope it af not spoilt now. undecided

Lemme shek it.
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 13, 2017
Ok.

Wehdone
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 13, 2017
MrnovaLyn:
op No 1. is real but apart from that StFU lil Birch... issue of over heating is normal same as u mentioned .one living his device on for long ? so I should switch of my device ?? for no reason

Are you just desperately trying to catch the op's attention or you're naturally ill-mannered? undecided

5 Likes

Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by TheWebbers: 7:21am On Feb 13, 2017
If you have a good phone, even if you do all these plus 100 more nothing will happen
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by odehaj: 7:24am On Feb 13, 2017
[quote autthor=pr0blem post=53654552]nice Info bro[/quote]Quoting all these just to day nice info Get a life bur.
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by ennysuccess(m): 7:25am On Feb 13, 2017
shocked
Re: 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone by femi4: 7:35am On Feb 13, 2017
joey150:
Number 2 is wrong.. Remember that they are called SMART-Phone for a reason

Number 4 cannot damage the phone either...

At worst malware will corrupt your o.s.

I dont even see where you are going with thia undecided
you are wrong, nothing kills charging IC faster than charging overnight. You can asking bb users

(1) (2) (Reply)

iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? / How To Increase The Charging Rate Of Your Smartphone / Official List Of Infinix Smartphones To Receive Android 8 Oreo Update And Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.