Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,427 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

What No One Is Telling You About Your Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What No One Is Telling You About Your Job (14983 Views)

5 Ways To Know It's Time To Quit Your Job / How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? / Avoid These Phrases When You Are Quitting Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by ghands(m): 11:56pm On Feb 13, 2017
Jobs ruin your creativity.

2 Likes

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by tojahh(m): 12:33am On Feb 14, 2017
[quote author=adelaw01 post=53690357][/quote] uncle, it's not base for debate...

Let's not start. I give it to you sir

Gracia's
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by uvalued(m): 1:05am On Feb 14, 2017
paulsibility:
For OP mind now, e don tell us what we no know b4.... ..
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Nobody: 3:01am On Feb 14, 2017
importexpert:
Jobs are important because they serve as an avenue for humans to invest their physical and mental energies into. Job in this context refers to an employment with a salary.

1. Your job cannot make you rich:

2. Your job can blind you to life realities:

3. Learn more than how you work:

4. You are not in control if you need salary:

5. You are responsible for your financial state:

if you will love to have a legitimate online business that is never going to crash and will not affect you current job, affiliate marketing is the answer. get started at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html

Nice one OP though it was meant to promote your own business.
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by mctowel01: 5:44am On Feb 14, 2017
uzoclinton:
Your Job Can Make You Rich.... But What It Can't Make You Is Wealthy
What is your definition of rich and wealthy?

1 Like

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by mctowel01: 5:46am On Feb 14, 2017
tojahh:
honestly I don't agree totally to this but I must commend your truism.

Some jobs actually makes you rich, take a footballers job today in a top side in Europe, no doubt after 10 years of active football (working for someone) he cannot be compared to majority of his folks who are even entrepreneurs. Anyway sir, to each one his own.

Gracia's
Help me tell the myopic people that keep singing the entrepreneur anthem. They make it seem like all salary earners are suffering and all entrepreneurs are rich

1 Like

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by samblaks(m): 6:11am On Feb 14, 2017
Reality is an eye opener. Thanks for that piece. What a wake up call.
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by louqas: 6:31am On Feb 14, 2017
importexpert:
Jobs are important because they serve as an avenue for humans to invest their physical and mental energies into. Job in this context refers to an employment with a salary.

Our school system has trained us for different kinds of jobs. The problem is, while we have been told of the grandeur of having a job, we have been fed with only one side of the truth. The problem with half-truths is that they keep you busy but rarely produce the desired results. So many workers who are now employed have come to the realization that it is a different ball game entirely.
Here are five things no one is telling you about your job.

We all at some time have been told that if we go to school and get good grades, we would get a good paying job and we will be rich. Rich enough to buy luxury cars and big houses. That is mere fairy tale. Your job cannot make you rich. Observe the use of the word "cannot". Why? Because the system was not created to make any employee rich. It was created to help the employer become rich. This is why the job system gives you basically what you need to survive and meet your needs and not what you need to enjoy life to the full. Some people have recognized this and this is what has led to corruption of all sorts. If the job system starts paying a man huge sum of money, watch it. Soon, he would be dropped with the excuse of "we need to cut cost". It's not fair, right?

Good write up. But everyone cannot be entrepreneur . The entrepreneur will also need people th o work for them so in the end some if not most people will still have to work for someone.
I would have gone on to talk about this write up if only it wasn't an advertisement for your blog and profession.

It is an irony that people with jobs claim to see but most times, they are the ones in need of sight. Their job has blinded them that they cannot see far. They have a chronic case of myopia. This what a job can cause. It can get you engrossed in your work till you become consumed by its demand that you lose sight of the big picture. Imagine the average worker who wakes up every morning and rushes into traffic to make it to work. While at work, he is inundated with various demands that keeps him thinking and running from pillar to post. When work closes for the day, he goes home drained and tries to rest. By morning, he's back to the normal routine. His job has filled his vision that he does not have focus on his personal goals or realize that time is running by.

One of the greatest mistake many people make is to concentrate solely on trying to earn. Except you do some kind menial jobs, you will soon discover that your pay is not based on how long or hard you work but on what you know and how it translates to visible success. If the job you are doing is not adding anything to you, drop it. If you don't, it will soon drop you. Learn more. Your job should primarily train you than give you money. Money can be spent but what you learn stays with you. What is more interesting is that, what you learn can always produce money for you on the long run.

To get a salary means you must have an employer and work by his rules. This is what will qualify you to earn your pay. What this means is that you are not in total control of your life. Your employer has a form of control over you. You may quit working for him, but you will still be under the control of an employer if you get another job. Do you know that if some people do not receive their salary for this month, there is a big problem? If the salary that should be paid by 27th gets paid three days later, they would get worried. Why? Because whosoever controls your finance controls you.

It is your responsibility for how your finances have become. Ultimately, no one is to be blamed for your financial status. Not your siblings. Not your boss. Not a distant relative. Not the government. Not even recession. You are totally responsible for your life. It is up to you to decide whether to "just earn a living" or live beyond your job. The decision lies in whether you choose to become an entrepreneur rather than a worker. It is in your decision whether to make money for someone else or for yourself. It is in your decision to help another man make his dreams come true or to work on yours. The key is in deciding to have your business or just flow with the tide.

If that decision is left to common sense, it will most likely say, "have your own business even if you have a job". You should take that advice.

if you will love to have a legitimate online business that is never going to crash and will not affect you current job, affiliate marketing is the answer. get started at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Kakayaraznits(m): 6:31am On Feb 14, 2017
Nice write up.
I know salary earners who earn btw 500k - 2.5 million, and I know entrepreneurs who earn less than 30k monthly. U think Dangote, Adenuja and many other top business men are not funded by politicians? Politicians dont know what to use money for e.g. Yakubu.
Nobody wey no fit to make am. It's all about you
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by louqas: 6:32am On Feb 14, 2017
Good write up. But everyone cannot be entrepreneur . The entrepreneur will also need people th o work for them so in the end some if not most people will still have to work for someone.
I would have gone on to talk about this write up if only it wasn't an advertisement for your blog and profession.

importexpert:

Our school system has trained us for different kinds of jobs. The problem is, while we have been told of the grandeur of having a job, we have been fed with only one side of the truth. The problem with half-truths is that they keep you busy but rarely produce the desired results. So many workers who are now employed have come to the realization that it is a different ball game entirely.
Here are five things no one is telling you about your job.

We all at some time have been told that if we go to school and get good grades, we would get a good paying job and we will be rich. Rich enough to buy luxury cars and big houses. That is mere fairy tale. Your job cannot make you rich. Observe the use of the word "cannot". Why? Because the system was not created to make any employee rich. It was created to help the employer become rich. This is why the job system gives you basically what you need to survive and meet your needs and not what you need to enjoy life to the full. Some people have recognized this and this is what has led to corruption of all sorts. If the job system starts paying a man huge sum of money, watch it. Soon, he would be dropped with the excuse of "we need to cut cost". It's not fair, right?

It is an irony that people with jobs claim to see but most times, they are the ones in need of sight. Their job has blinded them that they cannot see far. They have a chronic case of myopia. This what a job can cause. It can get you engrossed in your work till you become consumed by its demand that you lose sight of the big picture. Imagine the average worker who wakes up every morning and rushes into traffic to make it to work. While at work, he is inundated with various demands that keeps him thinking and running from pillar to post. When work closes for the day, he goes home drained and tries to rest. By morning, he's back to the normal routine. His job has filled his vision that he does not have focus on his personal goals or realize that time is running by.

One of the greatest mistake many people make is to concentrate solely on trying to earn. Except you do some kind menial jobs, you will soon discover that your pay is not based on how long or hard you work but on what you know and how it translates to visible success. If the job you are doing is not adding anything to you, drop it. If you don't, it will soon drop you. Learn more. Your job should primarily train you than give you money. Money can be spent but what you learn stays with you. What is more interesting is that, what you learn can always produce money for you on the long run.

To get a salary means you must have an employer and work by his rules. This is what will qualify you to earn your pay. What this means is that you are not in total control of your life. Your employer has a form of control over you. You may quit working for him, but you will still be under the control of an employer if you get another job. Do you know that if some people do not receive their salary for this month, there is a big problem? If the salary that should be paid by 27th gets paid three days later, they would get worried. Why? Because whosoever controls your finance controls you.

It is your responsibility for how your finances have become. Ultimately, no one is to be blamed for your financial status. Not your siblings. Not your boss. Not a distant relative. Not the government. Not even recession. You are totally responsible for your life. It is up to you to decide whether to "just earn a living" or live beyond your job. The decision lies in whether you choose to become an entrepreneur rather than a worker. It is in your decision whether to make money for someone else or for yourself. It is in your decision to help another man make his dreams come true or to work on yours. The key is in deciding to have your business or just flow with the tide.

If that decision is left to common sense, it will most likely say, "have your own business even if you have a job". You should take that advice.

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by hrsuzama: 7:04am On Feb 14, 2017
kamtrix.com The new best place for professional and upcoming Models, Agents, Photographers, Video Vixens, Runway Models, Industry Professionals, Brand Ambassadors, et al to connect, hire and get jobs for FREE #kamtrix
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by mecussey(m): 7:16am On Feb 14, 2017
fact is, if you have reserved capital, go learn something after schooling and start the biz/company early enough before ur 25th birthday. If you dont have capital, work for someone and plan your exit latest within 10yrs....not so easy but worth it after all. If you are opportuned to borrow loans, make good use of it to acquire assets.
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 14, 2017
Gaborone:
I agree with you on all points op. Reading them gave me a déjà vu moment, because you repeated the 'advice' I gave myself just before the new year.

Repeated the 'advice'?
Am curious. Please what's the advice?
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Profandie(m): 7:36am On Feb 14, 2017
Very nice
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by lawngmahan(m): 7:37am On Feb 14, 2017
you can say that again and now even louder.
salary is a mere stepping stone for the wise and everything to the foolish. no Matter the amount

diary of a network marketer

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Sunnylink(m): 7:48am On Feb 14, 2017
importexpert:
feel free to ask your affiliate marketing related questions
Hello Boss, can u help me to create clickbank and amazon affilliate account?
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Josephamstrong1(m): 7:56am On Feb 14, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:
i have said it time without number that i will never be a salary earner after my graduation from unizik.
This is one of the kind of post i love reading in this forum.

I want to be wealthy and not just confortable in life.

Op thank you very much.

Thank me too.
We'll get thr soon.
Times not time grin
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 14, 2017
mctowel01:

What is your definition of rich and wealthy?
A rich man can go broke..... a wealthy can never. My Dad is rich, Bill gates is wealthy. **this is my own definition**
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by dehazeevents(f): 9:46am On Feb 14, 2017
Word!!! This is a great piece thanks much!
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by favistar(m): 10:44am On Feb 14, 2017
Great tips.
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by NotNairalandi(m): 11:26am On Feb 14, 2017
nice one
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by espionage48(m): 11:27am On Feb 14, 2017
if everybody becomes an entrepreneur,who will they employ to work for them?. The law of nature must be balanced!!
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Ayowumie(m): 12:02pm On Feb 14, 2017
Well, i don't actually reply to posts such as this but today i decided to put in some response; i have got some time on my plate. I don't agree with what you said because they seem not to be true. All you said does not apply to 'salaried people' alone but they are rather assertions that cut across every one whether 'salaried' or not. It would have been better for you to title your post as "Reasons why you should consider a second stream of income".

I will pick your reasons one after the other:

You job can not make you rich.

This is a blatant lie. You statement is the same as saying "been your own boss may never make you rich". So, why do you have to be your own boss? Take note of the auxillary verb 'may'. This is because it is a relative statement rather than a sweeping generalization. So, why are you making a sweeping statement about salaried people? Who tells you my job can't make me rich? How do you even define rich? My short answer to this question would be:
uzoclinton:
A rich man can go broke..... a wealthy can never. My Dad is rich, Bill gates is wealthy.
Your job can make you rich big time. The key is to grow the 'rich' into wealth by creating another stream of income. I am not wealthy but I am relatively comfortable. The point now is, am I satisfied? What we should preach is, don't be satisfied with your current position, strive to achieve more; sky is just the beginning.

You job can blind you to life realities

So can your personal business or your education or your up-bringing or parentage or anything you can think about. Linking this to being an employee only does not just make sense. it paints a picture that you are right but then you are far from the truth. Been blind to life realities is not a resultant effect of being an employee but rather a possible effects of so many situations and life factors.

Learn more than how you work

This is a piece of advice that applies to both employee and employer of labour. In fact, this is the only piece of advice i totally agree with in your posts. So, this is rather a piece of advice and not a reason for anything you might have asserted.

You are not in control if you need salary

This is another lie. I assume you probably have some online business going for you, that does not make you have control either. If there is no remittance from Ad sense (or what ever online biz you are into), do you have control? Would you not feel edgy about non-remittance. I tell you, there are many salaried people that would not fringe when their salaries are delayed. You know why? The rule to financial independence is, "some part of what you earn is yours to keep (save) and live within what remains " - Excerpts from Richest man in Babylon. The bottom line is, you are not in control if you don't have money; and being your own boss does not necessarily result into you being rich.

You are responsible for your financial state
Been an entrepreneur or making money for yourself does not necessarily translate into you "living beyond your job" (quote from OP) and neither does working someone.

I think the key should be, does what you do make you fulfilled? Now being fulfilled is very broad and this word is used here in its entire sense. Been an entrepreneur may not even make you feel fulfilled, so what's fuzz about been your own boss?

By the way, i work for someone and I'm doing what i love with every sense of fulfillment. Yes, my purchasing power has dropped considerably due to recession but then so does everyone's purchasing power in Nigeria. This is not a big deal.

As i said earlier, what everyone needs is a second or third or fourth stream of income. No one should rely on one even if you are an entrepreneur. If you are struggling and your take-home pay can no longer take you home; it is high time you re-examined why you are doing what you are doing whether you are an employee or an employer. If you are always broke before your next pay (as an employee or entrepreneur), you need to change how your work or where you work.

This is just my one kobo contribution.

2 Likes

Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by mctowel01: 1:35pm On Feb 14, 2017
uzoclinton:
A rich man can go broke..... a wealthy can never. My Dad is rich, Bill gates is wealthy. **this is my own definition**
The way you guys just quickly pull out the bill gates/dangote card like it is as easy as a nursery chant. Besides, have you even achieved up to your father?... See the way your mouth is sweeting you in ranking people. Anybody can go broke and anybody can be rich. It sometimes only takes circumstances beyond your control to change fortunes. Goodluck being bill gates.
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by mctowel01: 1:47pm On Feb 14, 2017
Brilliant post... Ayowumie
So mny people just regurgitate what they dont even understand to please their fantasies.
People for get that there is what you call standard of living. If a business was giving me 5 figures and after some success I start getting 7 figures take home, and I decide to increase my standard of living along thereby accumulating more expenses, am I rich or wealthy or whatever you guys call it. If I was on a 5 figure job and get a new one paying 7 figures and still maintain around the same living standards, am I broke?
People just talk what they dont know.
In any circumstance, and with the natural uncertainties with life, It is very essential that one saves and one has multiple sources of income, whether as an entrepreneur or as a Career person.
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 14, 2017
mctowel01:

The way you guys just quickly pull out the bill gates/dangote card like it is as easy as a nursery chant. Besides, have you even achieved up to your father?... See the way your mouth is sweeting you in ranking people. Anybody can go broke and anybody can be rich. It sometimes only takes circumstances beyond your control to change fortunes. Goodluck being bill gates.
Who said anything about becoming bill gate? Stop showcasing your ignorance to the whole world please... If you don't understand a comment just waka pass please
Re: What No One Is Telling You About Your Job by incomeboostng: 12:40pm On Nov 01, 2018
no one is every in control of a job....

anything can happen along the line.

The more reason, every individual should have at least some
other income streams that are in charge or have control over

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Engineering So Difficult To Practice In Nigeria / **New**Opportunity for PHYSIOLOGY ,HUMAN ANATOMY and other BSc Graduates / Help A Brother! How Can I Choose A Career Path? I Studied Business Education!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.