Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,487 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" (97931 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Some Nigerian Proverbs – In PIDGIN / Igbos come show your proverbs skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Akanniade(m): 9:13pm On Jan 06, 2010
oun ti n tan ni odun egun, ti omo alagba bowa ra akara je.

Nothing lasts forever.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Akanniade(m): 9:15pm On Jan 06, 2010
Olowo o ni gba arodan, ki iwefa lo oun agunmate.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by s4: 3:25pm On Jan 09, 2010
A ki i pe e leru, ka pe e lobi.
One does not call it a slave and call it a child of the house.
(One must be clear about one's attitude to a thing or person; ambivalence causes trouble.)

A ki i pe e leru ka pe e losoo.
One does not call it a burden and also call it an adornment.
(An event is either a boon or a disaster; never both.)

A ki i ri esin ni iso.
One does not find a horse on tether.
(Too easy and too convenient a find suggests stealing.)
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by s4: 5:16pm On Jan 09, 2010
A ki n ri ikan tun so pe a o ri mo.
One does not see a thing and then say one does not see it.
(Always stand by your word.)

A kii n ro aso aje sidi ka dajo ododo lebi.
One does not wear the ritual loincloth for presiding over a trial-by-ordeal and judge the righteous guilty.
(One must not violate the oath one is sworn to observe.)

A kii n so eran meran ko kan ara pa.
One does not tie a goat with another goat and keep one from butting the other to death.
(One must not injure a person committed to one's protection.)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by caspapa(m): 8:41am On Mar 27, 2012
Gba fun Gbada nile ni gba fun Gbada loko, omo oko to fe je buredi afi Isu ranse sile.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by professore(m): 11:21pm On Oct 09, 2014
Ba wi fun omo eni agbo
If we say something to one's child he should listen
This is used by parents to sound warning to their kids

Yi yo tekun yo,kin se ti ojo
The slow movement of a tiger is not because of fear
This is to tell people that ur patience with them is not because u are afraid of them

Owu iya gbon lomo o raan
The wool the mother shakes off is what the child will sew
This means,like mother like daughter

A to gbangba sun loye
We can sleep at the centre during harmattan
This is to show ur capability of doing something

Die na to ninu nkan oni nkan
Little is enough in someone elses' thing
To exercise caution when making use of another person's thing

Lowe lowe ni an lu ilu agidigbo
In parable in parable we beat the drum of agidigbo
This is used to mean,we drive home our points using proverbs

Agbajo owo la fin soya,owo kan ko gberu dori
We beat the chest with the combination of hands,one hand cannot lift the load and put it on the head
This is used to mean,united we stand,divided we fall.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by sheis: 6:52pm On Nov 25, 2014
These proverbs are deep and rich in meaning, especially page 1. Me likey.
Good s4 and all posters
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 25, 2014
Owo olowo o le yo enu elenu
~
One can't be fed to satisfaction with the hands of someone else
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by tpia5: 7:19pm On Nov 25, 2014
Who are these people going on and on about other people's money?

Se ori yin daru ni?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 25, 2014
Aunty Tpia, epele ma
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Xynthialuvy(f): 11:16am On Sep 02, 2016
What does this one mea? Mo to e bi lomo
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 02, 2016
Xynthialuvy:
What does this one mea? Mo to e bi lomo

Am old enough to give birth to a lady like you.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Xynthialuvy(f): 8:07pm On Sep 02, 2016
shegsky:

Am old enough to give birth to a lady like you.
. Thanks,what if d woman dos nt hav a child of my age,like her kids are younger than me?
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 02, 2016
Xynthialuvy:
. Thanks,what if d woman dos nt hav a child of my age,like her kids are younger than me?

Let me summarize the theory behind that word. in Yoruba land, we don't just say that kinda statement anyhow, it comes out from our thought out of annoyance perhaps the person we are referring to offend us or kinda take us for granted regarding some issues, then with anger, we profess out the statement " mo to e bi lomo . " - and it could also be termed " Am old enough to be your mother/father , if not ................... it signifies that the person in question is misbehaving before one could utter such words. Hope that helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Xynthialuvy(f): 8:02pm On Sep 03, 2016
shegsky:

Let me summarize the theory behind that word. in Yoruba land, we don't just say that kinda statement anyhow, it comes out from our thought out of annoyance perhaps the person we are referring to offend us or kinda take us for granted regarding some issues, then with anger, we profess out the statement " mo to e bi lomo . " - and it could also be termed " Am old enough to be your mother/father , if not ................... it signifies that the person in question is misbehaving before one could utter such words. Hope that helps.
. Thanks dude

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2016
Xynthialuvy:
. Thanks dude
You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by ehizario2012: 2:20pm On Jun 18, 2017
Hello, what is the meaning of "eni a gbe oju okun le, ko Jo eni agba"
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2019
Such gorgeous. smiley
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Xcelinteriors(f): 11:25pm On Jun 04, 2022
ehizario2012:
Hello, what is the meaning of "eni a gbe oju okun le, ko Jo eni agba"
I am waiting for omo ijinle yoruba, omo kaaro ojire to translate this please smiley

1 Like

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Ritchiee: 5:16pm On Jan 22, 2023
Xcelinteriors:

I am waiting for omo ijinle yoruba, omo kaaro ojire to translate this please smiley
One that we think is trustworthy but happens to be untrustworthy..
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Ogunleti01: 1:39pm On Jan 24, 2023
Akanniade:
Olowo o ni gba arodan, ki iwefa lo oun agunmate.
rara ooo Olowo o ni je Arogan(Aduro gangan) ki iwofa je Agun mate
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Ogunleti01: 1:41pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ori omo titun gba iko( knock)..... oya e pari ee
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by AreaFada2: 10:43pm On Jan 25, 2023
Adìẹ funfun kò mọ ara rẹ̀lágbà

A white chicken doesn't recognise or realise its age/worth.

Message: One should always respect oneself/own value = nor go dey rubbish yourself. grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by Adaisback(f): 5:30am On Jan 26, 2023
Aja to ba wole tekun , odi dandan ko fi eje we
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by XAUBulls: 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
s4:
Agba kin wa loja kori omo titun wo
Bump.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by XAUBulls: 8:16pm On Dec 22, 2023
AreaFada2:
Adìẹ funfun kò mọ ara rẹ̀lágbà

A white chicken doesn't recognise or realise its age/worth.

Message: One should always respect oneself/own value = nor go dey rubbish yourself. grin cheesy

That's sounds mad cool.
Re: Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" by oluwaseyi0: 4:57pm On Mar 07
aiba won d'ele aro, ko je a mo pe idamu nsele lagbede tori ojojum ti won fi n lurin la se n o fin n da fun won

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony / Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos) / 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.