Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? (3147 Views)

Newspaper Columnist Kidnapped From Her Home In Nigeria / Why I Must Sue My Parents - By Azuka Onwuka (a Punch Newspaper Columnist) / Olusegun Obasanjo Becomes A Newspaper Columnist! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by donjon: 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2009
Mine is Saturday with Joe, itz on the back page of the saturday punch!

& maybe "MEDALS" on the same saturday punch.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Beaf: 6:53pm On Dec 07, 2009
I like anything to do with Reuben Abati or Edwin Madunagu.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by excelabbey(m): 7:40pm On Dec 10, 2009
give it anytime, any day to dr. reuben abati. highly intelligent and mind-blowing articles. what's more, he is humorous in presentations. 1 million gbosa!
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 10, 2009
SIMON KOLAWOLE does it for me. See my thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=325477.msg4579904#msg4579904
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by ozalogbo: 10:38pm On Dec 10, 2009
Dele Omotunde of TELL and Reuben Abati of The Guardian
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by ProAnti: 10:47pm On Dec 10, 2009
Simon Kolawole. Thisday
Reuben Abati- Guardian
the knucklehead columnist: the nation, I hav only read 3 of his write ups, but I think he is good.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by texazzpete(m): 11:52pm On Dec 10, 2009
Vanguard - Dele Sobowale Rules!!!
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by bibiking1(m): 12:58am On Dec 11, 2009
Welcome back Texaspete grin I hope you had a nice,,,,,,,,,,you know!!!
Anyway, my best columnist by a yard is Reuben Abati. I also like Simon Kolawole sometimes too
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Onlytruth(m): 1:02am On Dec 11, 2009
Ochereome Nnanna

of the Vanguard Newspaper.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/12/09/abba-aji-servant-or-sabo/

fearless columist.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Onlytruth(m): 1:12am On Dec 11, 2009
^^^
That article convinced me that President Yar adua deserves my prayers because obviously he was prepared to do the right thing, but his northern brothers won't let him.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by puskin: 5:52am On Dec 11, 2009
Reuben Abati is my man any moment.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by hancock(m): 6:52am On Dec 11, 2009
Dele sobowale (thumbs up)
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by 9ijaprince(m): 8:18am On Dec 11, 2009
Dele sobowale rules smiley
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by unfaded(m): 8:45am On Dec 11, 2009
no body has mentioned AZU!!!! on tuesdays punch the man is brilliant
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 11, 2009
unfaded:

no body has mentioned AZU!!!! on tuesdays punch the man is brilliant
Azu is my No 2. It's a long time I read him though.

My Top 10:

1, SIMON KOLAWOLE [THISDAY]
Although he once uttered a statement that drew my ire, but I give it to him as Nigeria's most unbiased, incisive columnist today. My weekend is not complete without grabbing Thisday to see what Simon has for me.

2, AZUBUIKE ISHIEKWENE [PUNCH]
It's a pity I hardly read Punch these days and I have not been following Azu's writings again. But what I have read from his column when punch was my favourite, plus the few articles of his I still come across by chance, he is a great analyst with sharp pen and unbiased mind.

3, MAHMUD JEGA[DAILY TRUST]
This guy stunned me with his writings and one of the few people that demystified my uninformed perception of Hausa/Fulani folks as intellectual laggards(I'm embarrassed I ever held that silly thought). Combining word artistry with breathtaking analysis, he is one of the reasons I still open Daily Trust website everyday.

4, IJEOMA NWAGWUGWU[THISDAY]
While others write more on the political side of our national life, Ijeoma writes on teh economic side more often. Another Thisday columnist I hardly miss. Although we hold extremely opposite opinion on the Sanusi debate but I give it to her, she is a good analyst.

5, REUBEN ABATI[GUARDIAN]
Reuben is perhaps the most popular columnist in Nigeria today. I'm not much of his fan as he is too radical for my liking, but you can't just ignore his writings. The Abuja land-gate further soils his name, but there is no disputing the fact that Reuben is a very sound analyst. His creativity with words is another endearing asset of his.

6, CASMIR IGBOKWE [PUNCH]
Oh, I'm missing my Punch friends! Casmir's analyses are another unputdownable pieces. There was a time he was writing his column from Cardiff when he was undergoing a course there and his column was retitled 'MUSINGS FROM CARDIFF'. I remember teh piece he did on one popluar Cardiff professor taht rides bicycle to office. I hardly follow him on weekly basis again, but if he's still the Casmir I read till a couple of years ago, he will still makes my favourite list.

7, YOMI ODUNUGA [formerly PUNCH, now THE NATION]
When Punch was my favourite, Yomi was another columnist that made my weekends with his column, KNUCKLES. Very incisive and analytical. He has now crossed over to The Nation (or is Daily Independent?), where he continues his KNUCKLES column, and I still see his writings but they don't appeal to me again, maybe because of teh quality of the printing of Daily Independent.

8, MUHAMMAD HARUNA, [THE NATION and DAILY TRUST]
I got to know Haruna late, just two years ago, but I have known much about him, especially from the war of opinions/history he and Dare Olatunji(another senior journalist and 'The Nation' columnist) fought late last year. He is another columnist I follow around. He is perhaps the most veteran print journalist from the North(He's from Niger state). I like his diction and grasp of history. I also like his independent-mindedness. He writes what he feels is correct, even if he is the only Nigerian holding that opinion. Sanusi, the current CBN governor, doesn't agree with him on most issues and, like Simon Kolawole, Sanusi had picked holes in their writings in the past. His minus is being close to IBB and maybe Buhari.

9. IS'HAQ MODIBBO KAWU, DAILY TRUST
This Ilorin guy is another columnist whose column I hardly miss. Another fine writer.

10. JOSEPH ADEYEYE, PUNCH
A new generation columnist with Punch. When I used to 'eat and drink' Punch, he wasn't a columnist with them then. I first knew him when he quoted the nairaland topic UGLY BRITAIN in his column sometime last year. Since then, I follow his writings. A fine analyst and tries to be as objective as possible.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by texazzpete(m): 9:25am On Dec 11, 2009
Dele Sobowale >>>>>> Reuben Abati.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by meexteriox(m): 9:35am On Dec 11, 2009
Reuben Abati
Dele Sobowale
Kayode Komolafe
Ijeoma Nwogwugwu
Casmir Igbokwe
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by bussyankee(m): 12:07pm On Dec 11, 2009
1. simon kolawole(thisday)
2. reuben abati(guardian)
3. azu ishikwere(punch)
4. cashmir igbokwe(punch)
5. ijeoma nwogugwu(thisday)
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by mbulela: 11:45pm On Sep 16, 2010
ike okonta
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 17, 2010
mbulela:

ike okonta
My oga, at last you have someone.  grin

FOR ME THIS IS THE ORDER TODAY:
1, SEGUN GBADEGESIN, THE NATION, FRIDAYS: I have his today's piece right on my desk now. Very brilliant professor of philosophy. His satire belongs to another level
2, YEMI KOLAPO, PUNCH, FRIDAYS: Same, her piece today, which I have just glanced through now, is what I'll spend my evening reading when I get home tonight.
3, DARE OLATUNJI, THE NATION, TUESDAYS: Could be very blunt and heavily pro-Yoruba, but highly brilliant and knowledgeable. He is a veteran
4, MOHAMMED HARUNA, THE NATION, WEDNESDAYS: Independent-minded, but bluntly pro-North. He is a veteran journalist but I like his say-it-all attitude
5, MAHMUD JEGA, DAILY TRUST, MONDAYS: Very wide-read and brilliant, as you can see in his write-ups.
6, SIMON KOLAWOLE, THISDAY, SUNDAYS: Humanitarian, soft and quite analytical. Simple prose.
7, SAM OMATSEYE, TEH NATION, MONDAY: Trying
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2010
^^^ Oga do u still buy newspapers in this age, u alluded to that. All ur favorite columnists can be found online.

ill bookmark ur list, I only read Simon kolawole and Ruben, but ill be giving the others u mentioned a look in. Okey Ndibe was someone I liked reading too when I was younger.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by mbulela: 3:30pm On Sep 17, 2010
Jarus:

My oga, at last you have someone.  grin

yes o!
i have not read him in a while read him recently and remembered why i first fell in love with his writings.
he could be too intellectual at times for me but the fact that he is not a journalist (presently) makes me warm up to his writings.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 17, 2010
Horayce:

^^^ Oga do u still buy newspapers in this age, u alluded to that. All your favorite columnists can be found online.

ill bookmark your list, I only read Simon kolawole and Ruben, but ill be giving the others u mentioned a look in. Okey Ndibe was someone I liked reading too when I was younger.
Online reading doesn't substitute paper buying.
I buy and keep for reference purpose. Got loads of it in my apartment.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by olawalebabs(m): 10:52am On Jun 19, 2011
In no particular order. Tunde Fagbenle (sunday punch), Haruna Muhammed (the nation), Simon Kolawole(thisday), Adelakun(punch), Femi Adeshina (sun), Duro Onabule (sun), funke egbemode (sun), yomi odunuga (the nation), sina (sun)
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by pokur: 11:10am On Jun 19, 2011
Dele Sobowale-Frankly Speaking,the only reason i read Vanguard these days.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Gbenge77(m): 2:35pm On Jun 19, 2011
Tunde Fagbenle.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by seanet03: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2011
Sam Omatseye, Don't ever try to read his missiles if you hate the word "TRUTH". So superb.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Jakumo(m): 5:03pm On Jun 19, 2011
How could anyone forget the master satirist Olatunji Dare, who played such a pivotal role in the ridicule of military dictators, back when Dare was a columnist for the Nigerian Guardian. That man's prose was a sheer pleasure to read, though since he relocated stateside, he only sends the occasional piece to a less well known newspaper whose name escapes me now.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 20, 2011
Jakumo:

How could anyone forget the master satirist Olatunji Dare, who played such a pivotal role in the ridicule of military dictators, back when Dare was a columnist for the Nigerian Guardian. That man's prose was a sheer pleasure to read, though since he relocated stateside, he only sends the occasional piece to a less well known newspaper whose name escapes me now.

He now writes for The Nation and he's on my list, if you check up.

Young folks of our generation know little about Olatunji Dare. At the height of his punditry career, most of us were in primary/secondary schools then. Dare Olatunji is regarded in the industry as Nigeria's most cerebral political columnist in the 90's. He's an elder in the art now, and even in his current Tuesday columns in The Nation, you still see class in his writings.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Godmann(m): 11:09am On Jun 20, 2011
Beaf:

I like anything to do with Reuben Abati or Edwin Madunagu.

Edwin Madunagu is simply the Best. I have followed him for years. Though atimes, I do not enjoy it when he jump into those Communist heroes and their histories. But he is simply a servant of truth.
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2011
My best is always Mr. Femi Adesina of THE SUN.

His level of consistency is unmarched.

Infact, my friday is incomplete without having read him.

He is a class above many!
Re: Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 20, 2011
Johnpaul88:

My best is always Mr. Femi Adesina of THE SUN.

His level of consistency is unmarched.

Infact, my friday is incomplete without having read him.

He is a class above many!

I've come to like Kulikulii too, especially in the run-up to April elections when most of his takes converged with mine too.
So close were we then that he quoted me in his column.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disagreement Over Presidential Slot Rocks APC / I Don’t Need The Votes Of Modakeke To Win Election – Omisore / BREAKING: Boko Haram Terrorists Invade Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.