Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? (7712 Views)

How Do I Handle This Kind Of Woman? / How Do I Handle A Husband Who Wants To Have Sex Almost Everyday? / How Can I Handle This Issue With The Wife Of My Boss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 7:14pm On Mar 10, 2017
Nicely put@Acidosis
This is the first time I've agreed to your posts sha.
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 8:24pm On Mar 10, 2017
Mznaett:
Nicely put@Acidosis
This is the first time I've agreed to your posts sha.
grin grin
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 9:03pm On Mar 10, 2017
Acidosis:

grin grin
True talk browink grin
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 9:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
Mznaett:

True talk browink grin
I'm surprised sha... that means I talk nonsense most of the time.. sad
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 9:28pm On Mar 10, 2017
Acidosis:

I'm surprised sha... that means I talk nonsense most of the time.. sad

Actually,I have no problem with your posts since there are your opinion.
But to be candid with you,most of your posts sounds childish to mesad... But you know what? After reading your first comment on this thread,I couldn't help but to admit how beautiful and exceptional those words weresmiley
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 9:45pm On Mar 10, 2017
Mznaett:

Actually,I have no problem with your posts since there are your opinion.
But to be candid with you,most of your posts sounds childish to mesad... But you know what? After reading your first comment on this thread,I couldn't help but to admit how beautiful and exceptional those words weresmiley
Hmnn

Thank you
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 9:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Acidosis:
Hmnn

Thank you
It's nothing shagrin
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 9:51pm On Mar 10, 2017
Mznaett:

It's nothing shagrin
Lol

I couldn't say what I had in mind after reading the "childish" compliment.
That's the worst compliment I've gotten in 28 years. tongue
grin
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 10:16pm On Mar 10, 2017
Acidosis:

Lol

I couldn't say what I had in mind after reading the "childish" compliment.

That's the worst compliment I've gotten in 28 years.. tongue

grin

Lol
Beside not all words either written or spoken were meant to make us happy now cool... I've heard and read worst about me even @37 tongue

1 Like

Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 4:39am On Mar 11, 2017
Mznaett:

Lol
Beside not all words either written or spoken were meant to make us happy now cool... I've heard and read worst about me even @37 tongue

grin grin @37? trying to prove a point?
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 7:18am On Mar 11, 2017
Acidosis:

grin grin @37? trying to prove a point?

Prove a point even@37?shocked No,It's been a long while I stopped doing such. @my age now, I say it the way it is tongue...
Good Morning
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 7:29am On Mar 11, 2017
Mznaett:

Prove a point even@37?shocked No,It's been a long while I stopped doing such. @my age now, I say it the way it is tongue...
Good Morning
Good Morning dear

https://www.nairaland.com/2583112/lecturers-daughter

I would be pleased to attend your 20th birthday...

wink
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 7:45am On Mar 11, 2017
Acidosis:

Good Morning dear

https://www.nairaland.com/2583112/lecturers-daughter

I would be pleased to attend your 20th birthday...

wink

Hahaha
lwkmd

Now you're going too too fargrin beside my age wasn't even inscribed on that posttongue
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 7:47am On Mar 11, 2017
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 9:40am On Mar 11, 2017
Mznaett:

Hahaha
lwkmd

Now you're going too too fargrin beside my age wasn't even inscribed on that posttongue
grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue

How're you this morning? Got any weird dream you wanna share?
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 10:21am On Mar 11, 2017
Acidosis:

grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue

How're you this morning? Got any weird dream you wanna share?

I'm blessed and highly favoured this morning... No weird dream to share...just came back from gym few minutes agogrin
How's your weekend going by the way?
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 11:39am On Mar 11, 2017
Mznaett:

I'm blessed and highly favoured this morning... No weird dream to share...just came back from gym few minutes agogrin
How's your weekend going by the way?

ahh, you gym?

Cool sha

It's been a busy day here.. heading to Oshodi

grin grin
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 2:38pm On Mar 11, 2017
Acidosis:

ahh, you gym?

Cool sha

It's been a busy day here.. heading to Oshodi

grin grin

Yes,I dogrin
Don't you?shocked

Eyah! enjoy your weekend sha cool
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Acidosis(m): 3:08pm On Mar 11, 2017
Mznaett:

Yes,I dogrin Don't you?shocked
Eyah! enjoy your weekend sha cool
Naah I don't
I like my tiny arms grin

Enjoy the rest of your day okay wink
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Mznaett: 3:44pm On Mar 11, 2017
Acidosis:
Naah I don't
I like my tiny arms grin

Enjoy the rest of your day okay wink
One can only imagine how your arms are kikikikigrin
Ok dear and you toowink

1 Like

Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by SAMBARRY: 7:20am On Mar 19, 2018
krauss:
Churches should also preach against these things. I am always impressed with pastors who take their time to talk to people about these things. Kids are very special and delicate gifts who should be handled with great caution. Why use cuss words on your kids? Why tell them how stupid they are? Perhaps, people are not taking these things seriously and for sure, it is not restricted to Africa. Naturally, those parents are even abusive to themselves. I know of friends who are like that( abusive) to their kids and even to themselves. WORDS CAN HURT AND IT SEEMS WE NEGLECT THEIR IMPACT ON PEOPLE. ABUSE MUST NOT BE PHYSICAL BEFORE IT CAN BE SAID TO KILL. PEOPLE HAVE COMMITTED SUICIDE BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY WERE TOLD.
you can say that again.some few years back I had cause or reason to go back to my alma matter to pick up my certificate and while passing through lecturers office around the corridor area I saw an elderly man in his late 60s and an elderly woman in her early or mid 60s,both looking stressed but the woman's face was showing stress,anxiety and fear all over her face.they were obviously parents of an undergraduate kid and the elderly man was walking from behind and the mama was in front,if you see the way this man was cursing at the wife in public without a care in the world where students and lecturers were passing by I felt sorry for the woman and her kids and the hell the kids will be experiencing at home.I was really very surprised because everyone's attention was drawn towards them but since it's an academic environment everyone minded their buisness.as they were both walking briskly the man was shouting at the top of his voice useless woman tobimo oshi,look at the disgrace you have brought upon yourself.where is that your stoopeed son.in my mind I was like ahannnn.kiloletoyen.see how these grandparents are washing their dirty linen in public and I was wondering by this is just wife o.only God knows the emotional and verbal abuse all the kids would have been experiencing
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Water101(f): 11:24pm On Mar 20, 2018
Most of these parent or guardian make sure their children/ward are totally dependant on them so that they won't have the gut to leave them.my experience was with my aunt,at age six i started staying with her because my parent where not responsible.That woman i think is next to the devil himself,i face physical abuse,emotion disarray,spiritual starvation(church is a no! no!)expect once in a blue moon,it is a very long story that i can't pen down.at age 7 she almost broke my spinal cord because i spill the beer she was drinking while i was trying to sweep.She as never being married she jump 4rm one man to anoda,my life was hell on earth.Up till today i have serious trust issues,i have overcome inferiority attribute because of my husband & God.She wished me dead to my face at a point in my life.The heart of man is wicked,a person without God cannot show genuine love to others.the members of our household are our worst enemies that is true to me...
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by nmaochi: 2:19am On Feb 18, 2020
Nigerian parents can be toxic for sure. If you feel like if its gotten really bad you may need to create space from them. https://ochisoul.com/2020/02/17/deal-with-toxic-african-family/
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Dynmyt: 9:28pm On May 27, 2022
An0nimus:
Please do not do anything rash. Don't even nurse the thought, nurse it and you may just do it someday. As long as your parents foot the bills, there's nothing much you can do than endure. When you start making money, you can rent an apartment. Or get a job in another city. I know they'll try to fight it but you can't always stay at home. You'll leave it someday. For now look for distractions in other hobbies. Read a book, learn to code, anything that keeps you busy when at home. As much as you can, leave peacefuuly with your folks and avoid confrontations.

Please try not to hate them too, in their hearts, they probably believe what they're doing is for your own good.

You will survive.
No the unjust treatment is not actually for their own good. We should stop making excuses for toxic unstable parents. In other climes they will be charged with assault and abuse. But its Africa they can get away with. I know of a man that ruled his home with so much iron hand. After beating his kids he sends them out of his house and does not care if they show up or not. Eventually lost his daughters to pitiful emergency(cohabitation conditions) with men. And they died of differnt circumstances. The boys? Till date don't have anything to do with their father. The old man still thinks village people are after his family.
The parents should have choose to be monks and nuns instead of bringing kids to this world only to deprive them of their childhoop. Op watch how you start making a living and you dad starts a sudden friendship relationship with you as if he has been so nice all along.
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by cavreek: 9:52pm On May 27, 2022
If I were u I will start planning for my NYSC as this is one of d surest way to leave home
Some people misinterprete love in so many ways that they will even go as far as caging u so that ur future will not b harmed
U are already an adult start by contributing little for d upkeep of the house, am sure a little respect will start frm there
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by sisisioge: 10:39pm On May 27, 2022
I love simple solutions to issues....move far away from them if you can afford it. So long as you keep staying with them, you would continue to have the 8year old freedom. Being this ridiculously harsh is how they learnt to be parents....so sorry about your predicament
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Idaytesj29(m): 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2023
krauss:
Guy no need painting this, I experienced bad things too but probably not as bad as that. Until we accept that this nonsense is happening in homes, things will never change. I have a friend whose dad was just terrible then. He even sent the very young sister out of the house for coming back by 7:00pm from church( I am 100% sure she was from the church) because she returned late. A church very close to their house. People can really be very abusive and like he says toxic. That environment isn't good even to people's confidence. Until I confronted my father with these things, he didn't change. Look at it properly, its either his father's background or frustrations that is causing all these. These are his personal issues which he shouldn't unleash on his kids.

A friend just confronted his at 37 after I forced him to be a man and do it. The man is emotionally abusive and toxic. He rallied my friends siblings against him and made him look bad. In a him vs others setting in the family. And this guy happens to be the first born.

The man go dey demand say make our guy dey worship am and treat him like God sake of say he send am go school and did wedding.

I have never seen a toxic person like him.

After the guy text him and told him he is a toxic parent. He replied with how he did bla bla blah for him, sent him to school, fed him, born him, gave him a car. And ended by laying curses upon curses even on his grandchildren.
Such a terrible person.
I told my guy to lock up and avoid them altogether. At least he has confronted his fears and he will think twice before being toxic next time.
Re: How Can I Handle My Toxic Parents? by Adebaba1(m): 9:29pm On Apr 24, 2023
Make money bro, make money
i was in the same situation too
i had to gain admission into university by all means to escape their bulliness and as a result i didn't graduate well
but immediately i got a job and started earning, my folks became angels all of a sudden, praying for me everytime
i am almost 30 and i don't have a partner, this is as a result of my teenage introverted nature.
try and leave the house as fast as possible

(1) (2) (Reply)

Entries Into Cussons Baby Moment Begins / What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba? / Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.