Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,836 members, 7,806,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan (991 Views)

Does NATO Stand A Chance In A War Against Russia? / 17 People Beheaded In Afghanistan For Attending A Party / How Obama Has Betrayed The Entire Black Race! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 5:00am On Dec 08, 2009
every generation has a hero. heroes are known for standing up for what is right evenwhen i is unpopular and even when thepowers that be tink otherwise. i hoped real hard that obama will put an end to these useless wars that are draining the blood of young americans. i hoped he would stand up to the blood thirsty, war mongering, idiots in the pentagon. but i was hoping in vain. obama has fallen for them. he could not withstand them.

and now, the war continues, other peoples sons and fathers and daughters/mothers/sisters will be going to die in a foeign war that is not directly keeping america safe today.

the real reason why america is safe today (if it is safe) is because of somehard working security agents at home. wether the taliban takes over afghanistan or al qaeda returns to rule them, as long as american scurity officers a home are efficient, they will not attack the homeland. if they like let them (al qaeda ) overun the whole middle east. i expected obama to pull out of afghanistan, increase assistance to pakistan were there is real danger of taliban taking over the nuclear facility, giv the govt in pakistan some real support and secure the homeland. but this was not to be.

another lost cause. obama embarassed . . . . . dont forget who you are working for sad . . . the ordinary americans, not the military industrial complex
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 10:35pm On Dec 08, 2009
pls all those who live in america and stand for peace and humanity should sign a petition to pressurise congress not to support this war.

http://rethinkafghanistan.com/?utm_source=rgemail#petition

help defeat the military industrial complex
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Kay17: 6:26pm On Dec 09, 2009
if they withdraw entirely Afghanistan, they lose reputation and face, also, it becomes an haven to harbour and train terrorists. and probably develop dirty bombs of whatever size to terrorise the world and the US.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by toshmann(m): 8:26pm On Dec 09, 2009
i dont know what the problem is with these liberals, pres-elect what do yuo want? he should hand over victory to the taliban and al qaeda? and u'll be happy. listen, everybody knew he would increase troop levels, he just plaed politics with this decision to appease the liberal wing of the white house, joe biden et al. i guess the guy is torn between common sense and politics. what is the meaning of troop increase 10,000 less than he was asked for, if this mission fails, the generals will have a perfect excuse for it___obama didnt give us what we want, when we wanted it.

this is just disgusting. like someone said, either u give the generals what they want or you pull out of the war. he did neither. result, make we de pray for success . . . !
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Horus(m): 8:46pm On Dec 09, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpKRpzjHnts[/flash]

The U.s. Military does not want you to see this video:
The truth about the wars are out

CAUTION!!,
this video is a bit disturbing, but it is the truth and it is very inspiring. Barack Obama is planning to send 34,000 more troops to Afghanistan, and if you think that this is to win the war in Afghanistan than you must think again. Start listen to your heart. War for profit is one of the most disgusting barbaric things any of us can do. We are capable of so many dreams but we cause so many nightmares.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by JeSoul(f): 9:24pm On Dec 09, 2009
toshmann:

i dont know what the problem is with these liberals, pres-elect what do yuo want? he should hand over victory to the taliban and al qaeda? and u'll be happy. listen, everybody knew he would increase troop levels, he just plaed politics with this decision to appease the liberal wing of the white house, joe biden et al. i guess the guy is torn between common sense and politics. what is the meaning of troop increase 10,000 less than he was asked for, if this mission fails, the generals will have a perfect excuse for it___obama didnt give us what we want, when we wanted it.

this is just disgusting. like someone said, either u give the generals what they want or you pull out of the war. he did neither. result, make we de pray for success . . . !
  My brotha help me wonder oh.

pres-elect:
the real reason why america is safe today (if it is safe) is because of somehard working security agents at home. wether the taliban takes over afghanistan or al qaeda returns to rule them, as long as american scurity officers a home are efficient, they will not attack the homeland. if they like let them (al qaeda ) overun the whole middle east. i expected obama to pull out of afghanistan, increase assistance to pakistan were there is real danger of taliban taking over the nuclear facility, giv the govt in pakistan some real support and secure the homeland. but this was not to be.
Prez, you already know I was against the increase for the simple reason that this is not now nor will ever be an instance where "victory/success" can be had. Plain and simple.

About diverting the resources instead to Pakistan, I'm not so sure about that. For how long can we sustain such an effort? ME countries are all corrupt and those funds will be misappropriated. I agree with your first point to instead develop and fortify the frontlines here at home. It may not be the perfect solution, but it is the only one we can sustain long term. We cannot control what happens elsewhere in the world.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by toshmann(m): 2:08am On Dec 10, 2009
@horus & pres-elect et al

when u hear that nazi germany was defeated, how do u think it happened? u think FDR gave the order and the 3rd reich stopped? it was bloody, mate. 3,000 men died on d-day alone. lots of civilian casualties in france. did u hear of dresden? it was very bloody stopping the Nazis. how about the civil war, it was horrendous. 600,000 dead. that washow slavery ended in the US. war is a sad reality, if not for some of these wars, you and i would have been slaves b/c hitler would have gone ahead to conquer africa and use us in labor camps.

so chill, if these terrorists lay their hands on nuclear weapons, that ur london wont be safe o
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 3:14am On Dec 12, 2009
@toshman

the soldiers in WW2 had a mission, destroy the 3rd reich. the men that fought in the civil war had a mission, save the union. . . what is the mission of the young boys in afghanistan? how do you explain the ''timetable'' given for withdrawal fom afghanistan? if their mission(if any) is not achieved by their time the deadline arrives, what happens?

in a real war with a real mission, there is no time table for withdrawal, withdrawal only happens after the mission is accomplished. and as collin powel will say . . ''no war plan survives the first battle'' . . you tell me, mr toshman, you tell me how the timetable will work out in afghanistan, b/c if i were the taliban i'll just chill for the deadline, and after the GIs are gone, i'll flex my muscles. kaput.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Kay17: 9:39am On Dec 12, 2009
its because things are going bad thats why everyone is against it. after the capitulation of Nazi Germany, people were tired of the war in the Pacific, it was not as smooth-running as the war in Europe was. so a quick face-saving solution was needed-ATOMIC BOMB. Regardless of the aim, if people die too much, a withdrawal will be needed.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Horus(m): 1:17pm On Dec 12, 2009
@toshman

You obliviously didnt bother to watch this video where American journalists explain how a 14 year old girl was gang-rap.ed then shoot in the head by American soldiers. They killed also all her familly members. Is it part of the "war on terrorism"?. There is no justification for this barbaric act, it is simply not acceptable.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Kay17: 5:32pm On Dec 12, 2009
so who is to be blamed? managing such a number of men is difficulty. the fight has to be taken to the terrorists,
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by toshmann(m): 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2009
@horus

what did they teach u in history? i'm sure they taught you that the soldiers during the civil war were these angelic men who were disciplined and wanted to end slavery. right? . . wrong. they were savage. they brutalised their way to victory. the prison camps were such that abu graib will be children's play ground. women were raped, POWs were executed at will, there was a notorious prison camp in chicago were confederate soldiers were treated a little bit less than cockroaches.

the russian soldiers who destroyed hitler were horrible. they killed, raped and savaged anything in sight en route to berlin. and before u say the US/British soldier were different I will ask you to read about dresden

that is war for you. it is no joke. things get out of hand. thats why nobody wants it. but without it, hitler would be running the world now, without it, those of u in the south will still be slaves, without it there would be no jews in europe today, etc . . . the afghan war is necessary, if the taliban takes over that place, the next war will be on US soil . . . meaning . . there will still be war anyway. think, bro, think.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by bawomolo(m): 9:43pm On Dec 12, 2009
i'm i agreeing with toshman? next thing we know, keith olbermann and bill o'reilly would be co hosts grin
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Horus(m): 11:09am On Dec 14, 2009
toshmann:

@horus

what did they teach u in history? i'm sure they taught you that the soldiers during the civil war were these angelic men who were disciplined and wanted to end slavery. right? . . wrong. they were savage. they brutalised their way to victory. the prison camps were such that abu graib will be children's play ground. women were despoiled, POWs were executed at will, there was a notorious prison camp in chicago were confederate soldiers were treated a little bit less than cockroaches.

the russian soldiers who destroyed hitler were horrible. they killed, despoiled and savaged anything in sight en route to berlin. and before u say the US/British soldier were different I will ask you to read about dresden

that is war for you. it is no joke. things get out of hand. thats why nobody wants it. but without it, hitler would be running the world now, without it, those of u in the south will still be slaves, without it there would be no jews in europe today, etc . . . the afghan war is necessary, if the taliban takes over that place, the next war will be on US soil . . . meaning . . there will still be war anyway. think, bro, think.

It is suposed to be a war agaisnt terrorism a war agaisnt Al-quaeda, Not a war against a country. Now Al-quaeda is not a country, Al-quaeda can cross border and set up training camps in Iran, Somalia, Soudan, etc, , so Americans will have to invade all this list of countries and play the endless cat and mouse game with terrorists if they want to be successful and this is very costly in human live and money. This war is fighting just the symptoms of terrorism but not the root of terrorism.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Kay17: 11:57am On Dec 14, 2009
it would not be an easy fight, the enemy is determined, motivated and suicidal.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by JeSoul(f): 5:02pm On Dec 14, 2009
Horus:

It is suposed to be a war agaisnt terrorism a war agaisnt Al-quaeda, Not a war against a country. Now Al-quaeda is not a country, Al-quaeda can cross border and set up training camps in Iran, Somalia, Soudan, etc, , so Americans will have to invade all this list of countries and play the endless cat and mouse game with terrorists if they want to be successful and this is very costly in human live and money. This war is fighting just the symptoms of terrorism but not the root of terrorism.

GBAM to every consonant, syllable, noun, adverb, vowel, comma and period!

toshmann:

@horus & pres-elect et al

when u hear that nazi germany was defeated, how do u think it happened? u think FDR gave the order and the 3rd reich stopped? it was bloody, mate. 3,000 men died on d-day alone. lots of civilian casualties in france. did u hear of dresden? it was very bloody stopping the Nazis. how about the civil war, it was horrendous. 600,000 dead. that washow slavery ended in the US. war is a sad reality, if not for some of these wars, you and i would have been slaves b/c hitler would have gone ahead to conquer africa and use us in labor camps.

so chill, if these terrorists lay their hands on nuclear weapons, that your london wont be safe o
Nazi germany was a recognizable, identifiable institution with an established, situated location, population, identity and leadership.

Who is the head of al-quaeda? or the taliban? what uniform do they wear? where are their headquarters? where are their warships and positions? what is the size of their army? who is their leadership and who is in the chain of command? where do they get their funding? how much and how fast can they replenish resources that are taken out? are they situated in one country? or spread out across the entire middle east?

We are fighting against a ghost, a shadow army, and we cannot win.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by Kay17: 5:30pm On Dec 14, 2009
they are an enemy bent on destruction, a force that does not recognise international law. they drove off the Soviets. equal determination are needed for victory.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 6:50pm On Dec 14, 2009
@horus
thanks for that piece. let the US marines follow the taliban/al qaeda all around the globe. note that the taloban were not interested in US territory. they just wanted to rule their land. al qaeda was the enemy and they have no borders, just an ideology. an ideology that unfortunately feeds on this kind of military intervention.

this is not a war of military might but a war of ideology. those boys should pull out
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by JeSoul(f): 6:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
pres-elect:

@horus
thanks for that piece. let the US marines follow the taliban/al qaeda all around the globe. note that the taloban were not interested in US territory. they just wanted to rule their land. al qaeda was the enemy and they have no borders, just an ideology. an ideology that unfortunately feeds on this kind of military intervention.

this is not a war of military might but a war of ideology. those boys should pull out
True. But that ideology has been obese with hate since times ancient against all who don't accpet and bow to it. It may feed on the military presence now, but it has long since been devouring on a steady diet of hate and intolerance.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 7:16pm On Dec 14, 2009
so why encourage the diet of hate and intolerance by continuing these expensive wars that have no advantage?
when the US can pull out, spend money on their economy, increase their homeland security and have peace. note that if the security agents at home had done their work, 9-11 would never have happened. and because of their alertness now, there has been no other attack. never mind politicians claiming they are the ones who kept america safe, america is kept safe by the hardworking security agents
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by JeSoul(f): 7:23pm On Dec 14, 2009
pres-elect:

so why encourage the diet of hate and intolerance by continuing these expensive wars that have no advantage?
This I will question along with you. I don't believe this war against a shadow enemy can be won.

when the US can pull out, spend money on their economy, increase their homeland security and have peace. note that if the security agents at home had done their work, 9-11 would never have happened. and because of their alertness now, there has been no other attack. never mind politicians claiming they are the ones who kept america safe, america is kept safe by the hardworking security agents
Even if we tightened every lose end, and plugged all the holes in the fences, I still don't think we can keep out every threat. We can certainly do our best, but I don't think we can keep them all out. Even on the home soil now, terrorists are being grown.

And in the case of the ME where we're worried about them becoming certified nuclear threats, the question isn't anymore whether we can keep them out, is it?
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 7:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
for now the US has a friend in pakistan. what is america doing, spending more in afghanistan, rather than pakista which already has a democracy that is frail and needs help. and they have nuclear weapons too. support pakistan to drive out their taliban/terrorists, and spend more at home to secure ur borders.

5 american born terrorists were arrested in pakistan recently, who gave them away? their parents. this war on terror, ur greatest ally is . . . . the moderate muslims. this war reduces their population and turns the few remaining into extremists
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by JeSoul(f): 9:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
pres-elect:

for now the US has a friend in pakistan. what is america doing, spending more in afghanistan, rather than pakista which already has a democracy that is frail and needs help. and they have nuclear weapons too. support pakistan to drive out their taliban/terrorists, and spend more at home to secure your borders.
   "For now" being the operative word. And I'm not so sure the US can count on any friendships, everyone is out for their own profit not necessarily what's better for the world.

5 american born terrorists were arrested in pakistan recently, who gave them away? their parents. this war on terror, your greatest ally is . . . . the moderate muslims. this war reduces their population and turns the few remaining into extremists
Prez stop it oh, you cannot be serious with that  grin
Moderate muslims? our greatest allies? negro please! grin The same moderate muslims that plead the 5th, and astound us all with their overpowering silence whenever terrorists strike around the world? these same moderates?

The parents that turned them in are only in the 0.01% of the entire 'moderate muslim' percentage. The rest of them just fold their hands and siddon look.
Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by preselect(m): 10:02pm On Dec 17, 2009
people of peace and wisdom, our petition did not go unnoticed. congressman grayson has taken the petition to the floor of the house, let us keep the momentum on, sign the petition and help end the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irT2haL5si0&feature=channel

please sign the petition . . . . .

pres-elect:

pls all those who live in america and stand for peace and humanity should sign a petition to pressurise congress not to support this war.

http://rethinkafghanistan.com/?utm_source=rgemail#petition

help defeat the military industrial complex

Re: Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan by mccloud224(m): 1:22pm On Dec 18, 2009
First of all, what are the troops doing there?Al Qaeda is no longer in Afghanistan but they have remnants of their militants in Pakistan.So why send tens of thousands of troops there and right now, they are building camps (or barracks) all over there the place there.From all angles, this appears to be the new world colonization.It's all about oil and opium.If oil becomes obsolete in the world today, they will all pull out from there in less than a week.

(1) (Reply)

Mossad - The World's Most Efficient Killing Machine! / Vladimir Putin's Official Car Is Involved In A Head-on Crash In Moscow. Photo / Zimbabwe: The Kiss Of A Married Woman: A Lesson For All Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.