Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Staying on my job or Further Training? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Staying on my job or Further Training? (10147 Views)

I Earn Over 300K Monthly... But I Don't Love My Job / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
I couldn't quite find a suitable topic for this post, so please even if the topic doesn't fit, find time to read through...

I am a young petroleum engineer, who has struggled through life so much that I nearly started to see myself as an underachiever or should I say an underperformer. I wouldn't bore anyone with the story of my life and no, I won't wallow in self pity, I conquered that, to the glory of God.

At the moment, I'm at a crossroads in my life/career and I need well meaning nairalanders and people who have gone further than I have on this journey to please kindly help me out.

I currently work in a production plant somewhere in south east, I'm so dissatisfied with my work, because just like usual, I feel like I'm made to do more with my life, plus salary is not anything to go by (less than 50k), and I have to work from Monday to Saturday, no time to add any value to myself, my superiors are old school, can't share a new idea without getting a 'just do what you're told' shun. The only definition of hard work around here is when you can lift a good number of cartons per day and sweating profusely, no disrespect to them though, they were raised in a different generation and they foot my bills for now.

I recently got advised by a friend of mine, to attend a mechatronics course at IIT in Lagos, to help me broaden my knowledge in industrial automation and help me assume a more rewarding and technical role in the industrial sector. I also found out about Leland Tech academy, Ibadan that offers similar courses, this course goes for around 650k, and I can only raise like half of the cash from my savings, I could rally the rest from relatives, but should I choose to go for the course, it would be a bold step, should I spend my savings on the training, I don't see myself going back to my parents or anyone for financial support, so if I don't land a good job post training, on my own.

My confusion goes thus;

I am not certain of my prospects of getting a job after doing the mechanics program because I would have to leave my current job to go for the program, anyone who knows about the automation course at IIT or Leyland Tech, anyone who can predict my prospects out there with the knowledge I can grab from doing this course should please advise me.

Should I fearfully stay managing in my current place of work, there is zero chances of progression, I can only only do it for as much as I can endure, it would still end the same way, but I having cold feet and my people are not helping, they don't understand what I feel. Should I stay doing my job or should I take the make the jump, giving the lack of jobs and the economic situation of the country.

My aim in life has always been to be an independent person, I even attended a training at FIIRO on how to make fruit juice, late last year with the intention of going into entrepreneurship when since the labour market was so mean, I haven't been able to set up because of lack of funds, I equally recently took up a hobby in specialty chemicals, started with formulating a car wash and oil remover for local car washes. But to me all these are not falling together, I don't want to be a jerk of all trade, I need to take a definite route.

All well meaning contributions and advise would be welcome, criticisms will be appreciated.

Cc: Lalasticlala davide470 please I want people to read this, I need your input too. Thanks.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 17, 2017
Sir!, you already know there's zero chances of progression if you should remain at your current place of work with salary less than a 50k. Since you could raise the remaining fund from family, then you should go for the course your friend advised.

Don't be a mediocre, is better to try than not trying at all, doing that course will give you a leap in your career. Just man up and go for it.

18 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 17, 2017
Cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by akaahs(m): 9:41pm On Feb 17, 2017
Benita27:
Cc: lalasticlala
the only advice i 'll give u is take bull by the horn and change ur career path or remain where u re. Take action now!
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 17, 2017
akaahs:

the only advice i 'll give u is take bull by the horn and change ur career path or remain where u re. Take action now!
I am not the op sir!. grin

3 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2017
Benita27:
Sir!, you already know there's zero chances of progression if you should remain at your current place of work with salary less than a 50k. Since you could raise the remaining fund from family, then you should go for the course your friend advised.

Don't be a mediocre, is better to try than not trying at all, doing that course will give you a leap in your career. Just man up and go for it.

Thanks dear, I will figure it out eventually.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2017
akaahs:

Thanks
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by lordsharks(m): 8:54am On Feb 19, 2017
Get further training after you've worked for some time

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Xavier33: 9:00am On Feb 19, 2017
Get further training it will pay more. Although there are many places you can get industrial automation training far less than those you mentioned just for u to note.

2 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Aniedi30(m): 9:01am On Feb 19, 2017
My brother I prefer ur work for now so wen buhari change Nigeria for good u can further for any course right now Pls savings is all u need because right now we don't know the future of our one time beloved country

9 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by kaboninc(m): 9:05am On Feb 19, 2017
Benita27:

3 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 19, 2017
have u tried other places as per getting a better job? production supervisors I know earn up to 80-100. I guess u have not tried other companies.. with ur experience u can get a better job elsewhere...for how long have u worked there?

2 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by EazyMoh(m): 9:09am On Feb 19, 2017
It's a touching story, I am in kind of a similar situation. But can't you use the funds for the course to set up a business? Self employment is the best.

2 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by charles009(m): 9:11am On Feb 19, 2017
Now hear this friend, I advise people never to take a job that pays less than 100k while you are above 30. you may never recover. I was in your shoes, left a job of 43k 2009, got a masters and a professional course. Came back 2011 to the same coy and I was offered above 120k after tax.thats like 5 years ago. I have changed about two jobs since then.

Please, follow your heart before its too late, leave with the belief that it will be great. It surely will. May the best be yours in jesus name amen.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by kaboninc(m): 9:11am On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:
I couldn't quite find a suitable topic for this post, so please even if the topic doesn't fit, find time to read through...

I am a young petroleum engineer, who has struggled through life so much that I nearly started to see myself as an underachiever or should I say an underperformer. I wouldn't bore anyone with the story of my life and no, I won't wallow in self pity, I conquered that, to the glory of God.

At the moment, I'm at a crossroads in my life/career and I need well meaning nairalanders and people who have gone further than I have on this journey to please kindly help me out.

I currently work in a production plant somewhere in south east, I'm so dissatisfied with my work, because just like usual, I feel like I'm made to do more with my life, plus salary is not anything to go by (less than 50k), and I have to work from Monday to Saturday, no time to add any value to myself, my superiors are old school, can't share a new idea without getting a 'just do what you're told' shun. The only definition of hard work around here is when you can lift a good number of cartons per day and sweating profusely, no disrespect to them though, they were raised in a different generation and they foot my bills for now.

I recently got advised by a friend of mine, to attend a mechatronics course at IIT in Lagos, to help me broaden my knowledge in industrial automation and help me assume a more rewarding and technical role in the industrial sector. I also found out about Leland Tech academy, Ibadan that offers similar courses, this course goes for around 650k, and I can only raise like half of the cash from my savings, I could rally the rest from relatives, but should I choose to go for the course, it would be a bold step, should I spend my savings on the training, I don't see myself going back to my parents or anyone for financial support, so if I don't land a good job post training, on my own.

My confusion goes thus;

I am not certain of my prospects of getting a job after doing the mechanics program because I would have to leave my current job to go for the program, anyone who knows about the automation course at IIT or Leyland Tech, anyone who can predict my prospects out there with the knowledge I can grab from doing this course should please advise me.

Should I fearfully stay managing in my current place of work, there is zero chances of progression, I can only only do it for as much as I can endure, it would still end the same way, but I having cold feet and my people are not helping, they don't understand what I feel. Should I stay doing my job or should I take the make the jump, giving the lack of jobs and the economic situation of the country.

My aim in life has always been to be an independent person, I even attended a training at FIIRO on how to make fruit juice, late last year with the intention of going into entrepreneurship when since the labour market was so mean, I haven't been able to set up because of lack of funds, I equally recently took up a hobby in specialty chemicals, started with formulating a car wash and oil remover for local car washes. But to me all these are not falling together, I don't want to be a jerk of all trade, I need to take a definite route.

All well meaning contributions and advise would be welcome, criticisms will be appreciated.

Cc: Lalasticlala davide470 please I want people to read this, I need your input too. Thanks.

I'll never advice you to continue working there because your heart is not there anymore. And when the heart is not there, nothing works.. .you feel depressed, angry and always moody.

However, not taking a step, not just taking a step is even worse than staying there. Problem is just in what direction should you take that step..

As for developing your skills, give it a real thought, browse through your subject area, find profiles of individuals who have made it, look around for then opportunities you can exploit within your field before taking your decision. It's best you're well informed with relevant information before considering it.

And as for being an entrepreneur, I used to think that everyone cannot be an entrepreneur.. .but from my experience, we're all entrepreneurs...some of us harness thay skill and others just allow it to stay dormant.

The solution lies in you.

2 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by emeks02: 9:12am On Feb 19, 2017
You already said there is no progression in your present job. Going by your post, I recollect my own situation some years back when I decided to take that step and attend the Mechatronics training at IIT. That was a huge turn around in understanding what I was capable of doing.

Now these are the things you should note;

1. Getting the training will improve your skills and broaden your knowledge.

2. You become a viable person when it comes to the automation world.

3. There is no guarantee of an automatic employment after the training. Yes the fees for both training institutes are quite high now (it was 450k years back) but if you are able to grasp the knowledge, you can become a solutions provider.

What do I mean by solutions provider? You can create panels, build an automated line, enhanced distribution network and if you like divulge into production line amongst others. Automation includes mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, electro pneumatic, programmable logic controllers, etc

You presently work in a production line. Are you aware that you can offer them a better service after the training?

Think about the future possibilities.. remember to also have some funds to cater for yourself during the training as It should be about 4 to 6months depending on the package.

I wish you all the best.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by yomi007k(m): 9:13am On Feb 19, 2017
Bro e no easy anywhere. ..plus I work wy d same old school category n I would still do wat im supose to do.

U hv skills already. If ur aim is to get another job after ds training, wat will happen if u dont.

U may think ur life is hard now but u dnt knw wat u got till u lose it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by nonstan(m): 9:21am On Feb 19, 2017
Honestly bro, this is exactly my situation right now

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 19, 2017
Xavier33:
Get further training it will pay more. Although there are many places you can get industrial automation training far less than those you mentioned just for u to note.

Thanks I'll check out for other institutes and compare.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 19, 2017
lordsharks:
Get further training after you've worked for some time

Thanks you, some time would be like how long?
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 19, 2017
Aniedi30:
My brother I prefer ur work for now so wen buhari change Nigeria for good u can further for any course right now Pls savings is all u need because right now we don't know the future of our one time beloved country

Thanks bro, but what if I can barely make any savings from my current job?
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 19, 2017
angelusbrut:
have u tried other places as per getting a better job? production supervisors I know earn up to 80-100. I guess u have not tried other companies.. with ur experience u can get a better job elsewhere...for how long have u worked there?

I've been here 8months, you know the south east isn't as industrialized as the west, there aren't a lot of options here, it's even part of what is informing my decision to move.

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 19, 2017
EazyMoh:
It's a touching story, I am in kind of a similar situation.
But can't you use the funds for the course to set up a business?
Self employment is the best.

Business has always been on my mind, I have a local fabricator whom I have worked with to design equipment like homogenizer, pasteurizer etc, for my fruit juice factory, but to implement them is quite capital intensive, I don't just have the capital yet, but I know I'd still end up an entrepreneur in the nearest future. I need a gainful employment for a few yrs.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 19, 2017
charles009:
Now hear this friend, I advise people never to take a job that pays less than 100k while you are above 30. you may never recover. I was in your shoes, left a job of 43k 2009, got a masters and a professional course. Came back 2011 to the same coy and I was offered above 120k after tax.thats like 5 years ago. I have changed about two jobs since then.

Please, follow your heart before its too late, leave with the belief that it will be great. It surely will. May the best be yours in jesus name amen.

Amen brother, by God's grace I believe I'd make the best decision possible, I'm not 30 yet but still I'm not getting any younger. Thanks for your encouragement.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 19, 2017
nobody is going to employ you because you have training and certifications if you do not have the relevant experience

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 19, 2017
kaboninc:

I'll never advice you to continue working there because your heart is not there anymore. And when the heart is not there, nothing works.. .you feel depressed, angry and always moody.

However, not taking a step, not just taking a step is even worse than staying there. Problem is just in what direction should you take that step..

As for developing your skills, give it a real thought, browse through your subject area, find profiles of individuals who have made it, look around for then opportunities you can exploit within your field before taking your decision. It's best you're well informed with relevant information before considering it.

And as for being an entrepreneur, I used to think that everyone cannot be an entrepreneur.. .but from my experience, we're all entrepreneurs...some of us harness thay skill and others just allow it to stay dormant.

The solution lies in you.

I feel moody all day, even when I do smile, it's just a cover can't remember ever being genuinely happy in the past 3months. But I know that's about to change, I feel it.

As for taking a step, I must, it's now a matter of if it's right now, or in the next 6months.

As for the direction, I have always wanted to be different, I don't believe in toeing the lines of great people with the intention that I'd succeed like they did, remember our destinies aren't same. I conceive ideas in my mind and I go for them,

Thanks for your kind words, I must become an entrepreneur full scale, it's now about what I must do to get set. Thanks
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by AntiWailer: 10:01am On Feb 19, 2017
50k for petroleum Engineer.

Wait are u an Engineer ?
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:09am On Feb 19, 2017
emeks02:
You already said there is no progression in your present job. Going by your post, I recollect my own situation some years back when I decided to take that step and attend the Mechatronics training at IIT. That was a huge turn around in understanding what I was capable of doing.

Now these are the things you should note;

1. Getting the training will improve your skills and broaden your knowledge.

2. You become a viable person when it comes to the automation world.

3. There is no guarantee of an automatic employment after the training. Yes the fees for both training institutes are quite high now (it was 450k years back) but if you are able to grasp the knowledge, you can become a solutions provider.

What do I mean by solutions provider? You can create panels, build an automated line, enhanced distribution network and if you like divulge into production line amongst others. Automation includes mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, electro pneumatic, programmable logic controllers, etc

You presently work in a production line. Are you aware that you can offer them a better service after the training?

Think about the future possibilities.. remember to also have some funds to cater for yourself during the training as It should be about 4 to 6months depending on the package.

I wish you all the best.

Wow, my spirit is lifted, brother please I'd like to talk to you more, about the training at IIT, what to expect, what I'd be able to do when I'm through with the training.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 19, 2017
yomi007k:
Bro e no easy anywhere. ..plus I work wy d same old school category n I would still do wat im supose to do.

U hv skills already. If ur aim is to get another job after ds training, wat will happen if u dont.

U may think ur life is hard now but u dnt knw wat u got till u lose it.

Brother, with my current skills level, I can always get this Job many times over, I'm sure. Thanks for the caution still. Better safe than sorry right?
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 19, 2017
nonstan:
Honestly bro, this is exactly my situation right now

It's well bro, we'll all figure things out. It can only get better.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by gprincead(m): 10:16am On Feb 19, 2017
My friend I understand your confusion so I want to pour out my heartfelt advise to you. One of our mistakes here is thinking that gathering certificates is proportional to success. I really don't know how educated dangote, Mark zuckerberg, bill gate, innoson, ibeto etc are. Many people are losing their jobs on daily basis and some wish if only they can get 40k job for sustainance at the moment pending when the economy will stabilize and you want to throw yours away for the sake of getting one certificate you will start carrying up and down?

Let me inform you that millions of Nigerians are working around the street with masters degree.

Now let me give you my advice.
Stay put in your job and develope a millionaire mentality.
Read books on wealth creation. e.g Think and grow Rich.
Embark on drastic saving habit. Set a time frame for a particular amount u must save and don't let anything alter it.
As you are doing these, search for better jobs. Don't get discouraged applying to as many as u can.
As your savings grow, the prospects of the economy will get clearer.
Look out for opportunities u can invest in. Don't be afraid of starting small because every iroko tree u see today was once a seedling.
With more stability u can still embark on as many studies as you wish and still be able to either stand on your own or work for whosoever u wishes.

Note: I'm not trying to underplay education. Education is very important but trying to equate certification to financial success may leave u more frustrated at the end.

All the best.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tips On How To Pass Job Aptitude Tests / ‘miracle’ Promotion: Army Officer Awaiting Retirement Elevated To Major General / Does H.N.D + PGD Equals Bsc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.