Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Staying on my job or Further Training? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Staying on my job or Further Training? (10153 Views)

I Earn Over 300K Monthly... But I Don't Love My Job / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by yomi007k(m): 10:18am On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:

Brother, with my current skills level, I can always get this Job many times over, I'm sure. Thanks for the caution still. Better safe than sorry right?

Yea my point exactly.

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 19, 2017
oyb:
nobody is going to employ you because you have training and certifications if you do not have the relevant experience

Depends on what experience means to you. What I'm getting now is not really experience to me. But I get it, I already put my desire for a masters degree on hold to get experience, now I just want to get a practical skill for just 6months bro.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 19, 2017
gprincead:
My friend I understand your confusion so I want to pour out my heartfelt advise to you. One of our mistakes here is thinking that gathering certificates is proportional to success. I really don't know how educated dangote, Mark zuckerberg, bill gate, innoson, ibeto etc are. Many people are losing their jobs on daily basis and some wish if only they can get 40k job for sustainance at the moment pending when the economy will stabilize and you want to throw yours away for the sake of getting one certificate you will start carrying up and down?

Let me inform you that millions of Nigerians are working around the street with masters degree.

Now let me give you my advice.
Stay put in your job and develope a millionaire mentality.
Read books on wealth creation. e.g Think and grow Rich.
Embark on drastic saving habit. Set a time frame for a particular amount u must save and don't let anything alter it.
As you are doing these, search for better jobs. Don't get discouraged applying to as many as u can.
As your savings grow, the prospects of the economy will get clearer.
Look out for opportunities u can invest in. Don't be afraid of starting small because every iroko tree u see today was once a seedling.
With more stability u can still embark on as many studies as you wish and still be able to either stand on your own or work for whosoever u wishes.

Note: I'm not trying to underplay education. Education is very important but trying to equate certification to financial success may leave u more frustrated at the end.

All the best.

Thank you. I'm a reader and I've read a lot. I think I'll find a way to make it work. Thanks.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:

Depends on what experience means to you. What I'm getting now is not really experience to me. But I get it, I already put my desire for a masters degree on hold to get experience, now I just want to get a practical skill for just 6months bro.

you do not understand. if you come to me with a pmp certification and no actual project management experience, i will not hie you
if you come to me with an autocad certification but no actual CAD experience, i will not hire you
if you come to me with nebosh or some other safety certification, but no safety experince, i will not hire you

fun fact - i was reviewing a company's profile, and the company CEO's nebosh cert was proudly included. meanwhile in the profile were pictures of workers working at height with no protection whatsoever. we have learned not to take certifications that seriously, as most nigerians do not pursue them to cement evidence of their competence, but because they have a vague idea that it will impress employers/recruiters.

2 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by kaboninc(m): 10:53am On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:

I feel moody all day, even when I do smile, it's just a cover can't remember ever being genuinely happy in the past 3months. But I know that's about to change, I feel it.

As for taking a step, I must, it's now a matter of if it's right now, or in the next 6months.

As for the direction, I have always wanted to be different, I don't believe in toeing the lines of great people with the intention that I'd succeed like they did, remember our destinies aren't same. I conceive ideas in my mind and I go for them,

Thanks for your kind words, I must become an entrepreneur full scale, it's now about what I must do to get set. Thanks

Honestly, I've been in your shoe and I know how it feels. Sometimes I just hate the fact that I'll get up from the bed only to go to the same place my heart is not settled with.

One thing I've come to know it that in paid employment, your employers reward you with knowledge and skill without commensurate pay, or the reward you with pay without the necessary skills and knowledge or they reward you with both.

Mine was the first. Try to find yours.

I wish you the very best and will be happy to help out in any I can. But still know that this life is just one.. .make the best and productive use of it.

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:11am On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:
I couldn't quite find a suitable topic for this post, so please even if the topic doesn't fit, find time to read through...

I am a young petroleum engineer, who has struggled through life so much that I nearly started to see myself as an underachiever or should I say an underperformer. I wouldn't bore anyone with the story of my life and no, I won't wallow in self pity, I conquered that, to the glory of God.

At the moment, I'm at a crossroads in my life/career and I need well meaning nairalanders and people who have gone further than I have on this journey to please kindly help me out.

I currently work in a production plant somewhere in south east, I'm so dissatisfied with my work, because just like usual, I feel like I'm made to do more with my life, plus salary is not anything to go by (less than 50k), and I have to work from Monday to Saturday, no time to add any value to myself, my superiors are old school, can't share a new idea without getting a 'just do what you're told' shun. The only definition of hard work around here is when you can lift a good number of cartons per day and sweating profusely, no disrespect to them though, they were raised in a different generation and they foot my bills for now.

I recently got advised by a friend of mine, to attend a mechatronics course at IIT in Lagos, to help me broaden my knowledge in industrial automation and help me assume a more rewarding and technical role in the industrial sector. I also found out about Leland Tech academy, Ibadan that offers similar courses, this course goes for around 650k, and I can only raise like half of the cash from my savings, I could rally the rest from relatives, but should I choose to go for the course, it would be a bold step, should I spend my savings on the training, I don't see myself going back to my parents or anyone for financial support, so if I don't land a good job post training, on my own.

My confusion goes thus;

I am not certain of my prospects of getting a job after doing the mechanics program because I would have to leave my current job to go for the program, anyone who knows about the automation course at IIT or Leyland Tech, anyone who can predict my prospects out there with the knowledge I can grab from doing this course should please advise me.

Should I fearfully stay managing in my current place of work, there is zero chances of progression, I can only only do it for as much as I can endure, it would still end the same way, but I having cold feet and my people are not helping, they don't understand what I feel. Should I stay doing my job or should I take the make the jump, giving the lack of jobs and the economic situation of the country.

My aim in life has always been to be an independent person, I even attended a training at FIIRO on how to make fruit juice, late last year with the intention of going into entrepreneurship when since the labour market was so mean, I haven't been able to set up because of lack of funds, I equally recently took up a hobby in specialty chemicals, started with formulating a car wash and oil remover for local car washes. But to me all these are not falling together, I don't want to be a jerk of all trade, I need to take a definite route.

All well meaning contributions and advise would be welcome, criticisms will be appreciated.

Cc: Lalasticlala davide470 please I want people to read this, I need your input too. Thanks.

the key WORD is course there is a difference between a course and degree or diploma

a course is ok if it very close related to current job if its not stop wating your time and money as a company would prefer some with a diploma or degree that certification from a course

may be you mean leaving the job and going back to uni and do a degree then that fine but if its just those courses, i would say stay on the job get more experience for your CV then eventually move to better company
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 19, 2017
oyb:

you do not understand. if you come to me with a pmp certification and no actual project management experience, i will not hie you
if you come to me with an autocad certification but no actual CAD experience, i will not hire you
if you come to me with nebosh or some other safety certification, but no safety experince, i will not hire you

fun fact - i was reviewing a company's profile, and the company CEO's nebosh cert was proudly included. meanwhile in the profile were pictures of workers working at height with no protection whatsoever. we have learned not to take certifications that seriously, as most nigerians do not pursue them to cement evidence of their competence, but because they have a vague idea that it will impress employers/recruiters.

Well, big brother in my own case I'm opting to go for this course not for the certificate I assure you, and definitely not to impress anyone.....but for the practical engineering knowledge, I need to be able to solve practical problems, assemble and disassemble things with my own very hands. That's what my decision is all about. Thank you.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 19, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

the key WORD is course there is a difference between a course and degree or diploma

a course is ok if it very close related to current job if its not stop wating your time and money as a company would prefer some with a diploma or degree that certification from a course

may be you mean leaving the job and going back to uni and do a degree then that fine but if its just those courses, i would say stay on the job get more experience for your CV then eventually move to better company

Thank you brother, I already have an engineering degree like I stated. The course is aimed at boosting my competency, to be able to look an interviewer in the face and answer that "what can you do?" question with conviction.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by ndiko: 11:50am On Feb 19, 2017
So there you have it, staying in ur current place of work keeps u moving on a thread mill. Go for the training, network, discover, thinking positively,... Things will surely get better.

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:

I've been here 8months, you know the south east isn't as industrialized as the west, there aren't a lot of options here, it's even part of what is informing my decision to move.

8months is not that good enough, what is d company producing?_ make it one year then and move on.have u done HSE certification? what of ISO 9001-2015? if yes you are good to go...

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Zirah: 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
South east. South east. And they want Biafra. Stupid people. Pls if u wan move, don't consider coming to Lagos. We are tired of you all already.

SnowJay92:

I've been here 8months, you know the [b]south east [/b]isn't as industrialized as the west, there aren't a lot of options here, it's even part of what is informing my decision to move.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 19, 2017
angelusbrut:

8months is not that good enough, what is d company producing?_ make it one year then and move on.have u done HSE certification? what of ISO 9001-2015? if yes you are good to go...

I have done preliminary HSE, I don't wish to go for NEBOSH or other international certifications on safety because I don't want to be a safety professional, so the basics I have would be enough to guide my daily routine, or so I believe. Thanks, I'd look up the ISO 9001-2015
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by lereinter(m): 12:48pm On Feb 19, 2017
cant u find such training around the south east
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by babalolareal(m): 1:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
there is a particular mechatronics institute in ESA Oke . They trainer and Instructors there are German trained. its called Bola mechatronics Institute. (BMI) they are training people on Automation mechatronics for just 110,000 total package. The institute is approved by both NBTE and Ministry of Science and Technology. Google it for more details or contact me on babalolataiwot@gmail.com. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by olatayo1984(m): 1:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
If I will advice, I will share my own story with you and make some points. After youth service I was jobless for months before getting a job where I earned 20000 teaching 3 subjects (mathematics, physics and further mathematics ) for ss1 to 3. I met discouraged and frustrated staffs buy I decided I will not end like them and I applied for MSC and before I was given the admission, I got a job where they paid me 35k with same discouraged and frustrated set of workers. After I got the admission I resigned without any means of paying, either my parents couldn't help in the program bcs they are retired but I still took the leap. I finished the program in 2015, doing menial jobs and still adding to my skills and with prayer, God showed up in jan , 2017 and the skills I acquired over the years qualified me for a job I just secure which was a restoration job.
In conclusion, gather the money for the training and go and believe God you will get a job when you finish. Don't allow comfort to limit you.

4 Likes

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:

Thank you brother, I already have an engineering degree like I stated. The course is aimed at boosting my competency, to be able to look an interviewer in the face and answer that "what can you do?" question with conviction.

i think its waste of time and money unless if you want to do it as CV boost or it something of interest out of than the degree you have already
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by laksyde100(m): 2:37pm On Feb 19, 2017
gprincead:
My friend I understand your confusion so I want to pour out my heartfelt advise to you. One of our mistakes here is thinking that gathering certificates is proportional to success. I really don't know how educated dangote, Mark zuckerberg, bill gate, innoson, ibeto etc are. Many people are losing their jobs on daily basis and some wish if only they can get 40k job for sustainance at the moment pending when the economy will stabilize and you want to throw yours away for the sake of getting one certificate you will start carrying up and down?

Let me inform you that millions of Nigerians are working around the street with masters degree.

Now let me give you my advice.
Stay put in your job and develope a millionaire mentality.
Read books on wealth creation. e.g Think and grow Rich.
Embark on drastic saving habit. Set a time frame for a particular amount u must save and don't let anything alter it.
As you are doing these, search for better jobs. Don't get discouraged applying to as many as u can.
As your savings grow, the prospects of the economy will get clearer.
Look out for opportunities u can invest in. Don't be afraid of starting small because every iroko tree u see today was once a seedling.
With more stability u can still embark on as many studies as you wish and still be able to either stand on your own or work for whosoever u wishes.

Note: I'm not trying to underplay education. Education is very important but trying to equate certification to financial success may leave u more frustrated at the end.

All the best.

The best advise so far is what I quoted. I am a living witness... am still an undergraduate & earn nothing less than 50k per month..though recession is eating me up.
Finally my bro certification don't guarantee success in the market. No school of taught will teach you how to make money out there.
You can pin me if you intend to know more about being independent. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by jimb(m): 2:42pm On Feb 19, 2017
one bird at hand is better, when u go regret am dey come.. maybe age dey your side shaa.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by voizofone: 2:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
To me you are not really doing anything for now. I would advice that you start a little business with your savings. Find a store in the market of the city you dwell and start selling can drinks and plastic drinks like LA casera and co in whole sale level. Thank me later in the next six months if you are able to get a shop in a place where you make good sales per day. God be with you.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Ezionye(f): 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:

I feel moody all day, even when I do smile, it's just a cover can't remember ever being genuinely happy in the past 3months. But I know that's about to change, I feel it.

As for taking a step, I must, it's now a matter of if it's right now, or in the next 6months.

As for the direction, I have always wanted to be different, I don't believe in toeing the lines of great people with the intention that I'd succeed like they did, remember our destinies aren't same. I conceive ideas in my mind and I go for them,

Thanks for your kind words, I must become an entrepreneur full scale, it's now about what I must do to get set. Thanks

I can relate with the first paragraph. I like you already. You seem strong and determined.

Its not possible to combine the training with your work? Also I don't like the idea of ur having to borrow to complete d fees. Y don't u save up a little more and get more experience?

Good luck
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Christie212: 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
I have really learnt a lot.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by TheVictorious(m): 4:09pm On Feb 19, 2017
akaahs:

the only advice i 'll give u is take bull by the horn and change ur career path or remain where u re. Take action now!

lool. Are you advising lalasticlala?
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Gnen: 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2017
SnowJay92:
I couldn't quite find a suitable topic for this post, so please even if the topic doesn't fit, find time to read through...

I am a young petroleum engineer, who has struggled through life so much that I nearly started to see myself as an underachiever or should I say an underperformer. I wouldn't bore anyone with the story of my life and no, I won't wallow in self pity, I conquered that, to the glory of God.

At the moment, I'm at a crossroads in my life/career and I need well meaning nairalanders and people who have gone further than I have on this journey to please kindly help me out.

I currently work in a production plant somewhere in south east, I'm so dissatisfied with my work, because just like usual, I feel like I'm made to do more with my life, plus salary is not anything to go by (less than 50k), and I have to work from Monday to Saturday, no time to add any value to myself, my superiors are old school, can't share a new idea without getting a 'just do what you're told' shun. The only definition of hard work around here is when you can lift a good number of cartons per day and sweating profusely, no disrespect to them though, they were raised in a different generation and they foot my bills for now.

I recently got advised by a friend of mine, to attend a mechatronics course at IIT in Lagos, to help me broaden my knowledge in industrial automation and help me assume a more rewarding and technical role in the industrial sector. I also found out about Leland Tech academy, Ibadan that offers similar courses, this course goes for around 650k, and I can only raise like half of the cash from my savings, I could rally the rest from relatives, but should I choose to go for the course, it would be a bold step, should I spend my savings on the training, I don't see myself going back to my parents or anyone for financial support, so if I don't land a good job post training, on my own.

My confusion goes thus;

I am not certain of my prospects of getting a job after doing the mechanics program because I would have to leave my current job to go for the program, anyone who knows about the automation course at IIT or Leyland Tech, anyone who can predict my prospects out there with the knowledge I can grab from doing this course should please advise me.

Should I fearfully stay managing in my current place of work, there is zero chances of progression, I can only only do it for as much as I can endure, it would still end the same way, but I having cold feet and my people are not helping, they don't understand what I feel. Should I stay doing my job or should I take the make the jump, giving the lack of jobs and the economic situation of the country.

My aim in life has always been to be an independent person, I even attended a training at FIIRO on how to make fruit juice, late last year with the intention of going into entrepreneurship when since the labour market was so mean, I haven't been able to set up because of lack of funds, I equally recently took up a hobby in specialty chemicals, started with formulating a car wash and oil remover for local car washes. But to me all these are not falling together, I don't want to be a jerk of all trade, I need to take a definite route.

All well meaning contributions and advise would be welcome, criticisms will be appreciated.

Cc: Lalasticlala davide470 please I want people to read this, I need your input too. Thanks.
My advice is simple. Do not waste your money on IIT trainings. Bro be an hustler, Get a good laptop, Subscribe to video on mechatronics on YouTube and some torrent site. Use your day at work to practise the practical in your workplace and use your night for the video trainings. Try this for 6months and see the outcome.. If you won't improve. Bro, this is recession and am not sure you have a backup financial plan to run the training. Sincerely don't borrow to complete a training because the future of employment in any industry is not certain in Nigeria.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Aniedi30(m): 6:29pm On Feb 19, 2017
I know how the economy is as in now but going for another course for now will make u lose ur job and u have to spend money for another certificate mehn I will not support u going for the course now Pls just pray to God to open ur way for u.
SnowJay92:

Thanks bro, but what if I can barely make any savings from my current job?

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by ottawaboi: 7:20pm On Feb 19, 2017
oyb:
nobody is going to employ you because you have training and certifications if you do not have the relevant experience

to get experience ,I suggest he volunteers for like 6 months then move on from there

1 Like

Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ezionye:

I can relate with the first paragraph. I like you already. You seem strong and determined.

Its not possible to combine the training with your work? Also I don't like the idea of ur having to borrow to complete d fees. Y don't u save up a little more and get more experience?

Good luck

The exact same objection my mum raised. The battlefield is now in my mind, I hope I'd take the best decision. Thanks a lot.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
voizofone:
To me you are not really doing anything for now. I would advice that you start a little business with your savings. Find a store in the market of the city you dwell and start selling can drinks and plastic drinks like LA casera and co in whole sale level. Thank me later in the next six months if you are able to get a shop in a place where you make good sales per day. God be with you.

The job I quoted above takes up the better part of my day. still thanks for contributing.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 19, 2017
lereinter:

cant u find such training around the south east

None that I know of.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 19, 2017
Gnen:
My advice is simple. Do not waste your money on IIT trainings. Bro be an hustler, Get a good laptop, Subscribe to video on mechatronics on YouTube and some torrent site. Use your day at work to practise the practical in your workplace and use your night for the video trainings. Try this for 6months and see the outcome.. If you won't improve. Bro, this is recession and am not sure you have a backup financial plan to run the training. Sincerely don't borrow to complete a training because the future of employment in any industry is not certain in Nigeria.

Do you know IIT specifically before now, or are you saying trainings generally are waste of money? Thanks for your suggestion, thanks a lot.
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2017
jimb:
one bird at hand is better, when u go regret am dey come.. maybe age dey your side shaa.

can you be more elaborate, regret what course of action?
Re: Staying on my job or Further Training? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
ndiko:
So there you have it, staying in ur current place of work keeps u moving on a thread mill. Go for the training, network, discover, thinking positively,... Things will surely get better.

They sure will. I'll think seriously about my options.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘miracle’ Promotion: Army Officer Awaiting Retirement Elevated To Major General / Emotionally Abusive Bosses!!! / Sterling Bank Appoints Abubakar Suleiman As CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.