Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter (1888 Views)

We Help You Ship Or Clear Agricultural Produce, Machines, Tools And Equipment / Nigerian States And Their Agricultural Produce. / Goodnews: Foreign Buyers Needed Your Local Food Stuff In U.k, Canada & U.s.a. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 5:08pm On Feb 17, 2017
Based on my own personal experience about cosmetics’ raw materials or farm food produce, I will run away from any impurities and harmful chemical preservatives in food. So many Nigerian farm produce had been rejected in some parts of the world because of their low quality parameters which the said countries never considered safe for human consumption. But if we consider it safe for our own consumption, then we must have a rethink that is not safe for us anymore. If other country food regulatory body condemns it for consumption then, together we must find a way to make it safe for us first before other countries will embrace it and buy from us.

Cosmetic industries need some basic raw materials for their production and considering the population of the world, one can conclude that food is the most important, and dieting on a good and healthy food becomes important to every living soul. Most of the times, I ask myself if Nigerian government has an agricultural extension body or agency that gives farmers information and strategies to improve their output. Most of the farmers found in Nigeria are illiterate and mostly poor, accessibility to up to date agricultural farmers program is very difficult and they end up relying on their own ideas and knowledge which is out dated.

“Sometimes back, a client called me from the United States for shea butter and requires specifically Shipment from Ghana. I felt embarrassed on why a client will force me to add to the economy of Ghana and not my country’s? I took the order and I use it as a basement for my research into the product, quality, availability, and market research.At the end of the day, I found out why Nigerian Shea butter are being rejected often internationally.”

If you ask me why Nigerian Shea butter is often rejected, then I will answer you with a question that; which company is producing the Shea butter and how are they producing it? Unlike in the developed countries. Even Ghana, where most of the Shea nut available in the market is being extracted and refined with semi automated machines given by their government to assist the Ghanaian women in running the business. The Nigerian counterpart leaves the production in the hands of local villagers using old and cruel ways of extraction to roast, extract, refine and preserve the butter leaving the final product with many impurities and bad odor. Every season of harvest, foreign buyers flood Nigerian markets to export the Shea nut for further processing that will meet up with their required standard. So if it were to be the Shea nut that is bad, then no buyer will come for it. It’s only the Shea butter they considered bad because of the extracting, refining and preservative methods.

Read More https://sehgatehub./2017/02/17/why-most-foreign-buyers-turn-down-nigeria-agricultural-produce-a-case-study-of-shea-butter-and-white-beans/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by domack99(m): 11:13pm On Feb 17, 2017
Nice post @op, this are the type of post we need on front page.

Do you have pictures of the automated shea butter extracting machine
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 8:55am On Feb 18, 2017
domack99:
Nice post @op, this are the type of post we need on front page.

Do you have pictures of the automated shea butter extracting machine

depending on the production capacity per day automated machines are available for small scale and large scale production plant. I was not authorised to get factory pictures in Ghana so I don't have one.

check online for pictures......

1 Like

Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by curiousmind11: 6:41am On Feb 19, 2017
I wish we as a country can look seriously into our standards. Also, we should preach value addition, and not only farming.

@OP, great post!
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 11:15am On Feb 19, 2017
curiousmind11:
I wish we as a country can look seriously into our standards. Also, we should preach value addition, and not only farming.

@OP, great post!

thanks. we can only earn more money by adding value to our agricultural produce...
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by plero(m): 6:56am On Dec 10, 2018
Surprisingly, there are few factory fabricating those machine and engine for better output...from my research I can only recommend one.
Reach me on 07035554522 for biz. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2018
plero:
Surprisingly, there are few factory fabricating those machine and engine for better output...from my research I can only recommend one.
Reach me on 07035554522 for biz. Thanks

Great....
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by Baroba(m): 3:22pm On Dec 12, 2018
Same reason Nigerian brown beans was rejected by the Irish, it came full of weevil..

Processing , storage and packaging is still below standard with regards to international standard practices..
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 10:37am On Dec 13, 2018
Baroba:
Same reason Nigerian brown beans was rejected by the Irish, it came full of weevil..

Processing , storage and packaging is still below standard with regards to international standard practices..

You are right....
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by kunleweb: 10:40am On Dec 13, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by hopevalley: 11:06am On Dec 13, 2018
SehgateTeam:
Based on my own personal experience about cosmetics’ raw materials or farm food produce, I will run away from any impurities and harmful chemical preservatives in food. So many Nigerian farm produce had been rejected in some parts of the world because of their low quality parameters which the said countries never considered safe for human consumption. But if we consider it safe for our own consumption, then we must have a rethink that is not safe for us anymore. If other country food regulatory body condemns it for consumption then, together we must find a way to make it safe for us first before other countries will embrace it and buy from us.

Cosmetic industries need some basic raw materials for their production and considering the population of the world, one can conclude that food is the most important, and dieting on a good and healthy food becomes important to every living soul. Most of the times, I ask myself if Nigerian government has an agricultural extension body or agency that gives farmers information and strategies to improve their output. Most of the farmers found in Nigeria are illiterate and mostly poor, accessibility to up to date agricultural farmers program is very difficult and they end up relying on their own ideas and knowledge which is out dated.

“Sometimes back, a client called me from the United States for shea butter and requires specifically Shipment from Ghana. I felt embarrassed on why a client will force me to add to the economy of Ghana and not my country’s? I took the order and I use it as a basement for my research into the product, quality, availability, and market research.At the end of the day, I found out why Nigerian Shea butter are being rejected often internationally.”

If you ask me why Nigerian Shea butter is often rejected, then I will answer you with a question that; which company is producing the Shea butter and how are they producing it? Unlike in the developed countries. Even Ghana, where most of the Shea nut available in the market is being extracted and refined with semi automated machines given by their government to assist the Ghanaian women in running the business. The Nigerian counterpart leaves the production in the hands of local villagers using old and cruel ways of extraction to roast, extract, refine and preserve the butter leaving the final product with many impurities and bad odor. Every season of harvest, foreign buyers flood Nigerian markets to export the Shea nut for further processing that will meet up with their required standard. So if it were to be the Shea nut that is bad, then no buyer will come for it. It’s only the Shea butter they considered bad because of the extracting, refining and preservative methods.

Read More https://sehgatehub./2017/02/17/why-most-foreign-buyers-turn-down-nigeria-agricultural-produce-a-case-study-of-shea-butter-and-white-beans/
The main reason is that many Nigerian exporters have not understood the contemporary dynamics of export trade. Click on the link on my signature for details.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by olaeffect(m): 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2018
And yet our past and present government's will keep saying they are investing heavily in agriculture. All they know is to make huge budgets for agriculture without any direct focus other than import and share fertilizer.
Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 2:48pm On Dec 13, 2018
olaeffect:
And yet our past and present government's will keep saying they are investing heavily in agriculture. All they know is to make huge budgets for agriculture without any direct focus other than import and share fertilizer.

Ofcus you are right....

1 Like

Re: Why Most Foreign Buyers Turn Down Nigeria Agricultural Produce; Shea Butter by SehgateTeam(m): 12:19pm On Oct 05, 2020
hopevalley:

The main reason is that many Nigerian exporters have not understood the contemporary dynamics of export trade. Click on the link on my signature for details.

Ofcus you are right....

(1) (Reply)

Best Fungicide, Insecticides And Nematocides For Farm / Tour Of Agro Commodity Markets In The North / Grain Purchase (pics) / Tractor Boom. Sprayer For Sale In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.