Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? (13684 Views)

Boy Who Slept With A Girl He Met For The First Time Now Finds It Hard To Urinate / whi is smoking not Completely Banned / Is Smoking In The Public Against The Law In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by hothead(m): 5:39pm On Dec 08, 2009
Been smoking for 6years now, I am sick and tired of the shit.
I have tried different techniques but none just works
I wake in the morning and my mouth feels horrible and the only thing that makes it feel better is a cigarette. WTF mehn!!!
I see it's effects on my skin, eyes & teeth but yet the addiction is so hard to QUIT!!!
SOMEBODY HELP!!!
PRAY FOR ME BEFORE I SMOKE MY LIFE OFF
THIS IS ONE THING I NEED A BREAK FROM!!

AHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry

1 Like

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by ibrohari: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2009
Im so sorry to say you cant quit smooking becouse you are in the system and there is knw way for you. i was a real smooker since 1981 up to date youre own is just a play. sorry the only thing is if you have pastor or imam let them pray for uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 08, 2009
Nicotine patches may help you.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 11:12pm On Dec 08, 2009
Guy, if u realy want to quit smoking, there a lot of ways, and things to consider as well. You don't just say u want to quit smoking. U need a system, ideas from people that has been set free from "nicotine" bondage. @ www.stopsmokinghow2.com you will find a lot of help that will easily get u out of smoking habit. Stopsmokinghow2.com is the only way out.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by dapsycool(m): 11:20pm On Dec 08, 2009
you are On Your Own cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by dominique(f): 11:55pm On Dec 08, 2009
poor you, nicotine is highly addictive. once you're in, it takes a lot of commitment to get out permanently.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by mamagee3(f): 2:35am On Dec 09, 2009
Nicotine/tobacco is highly addictive
It gets on your nervous system and you get addicted to it
There's no going back
. tongue
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Tontodike(f): 2:40am On Dec 09, 2009
hothead:

Been smoking for 6years now, I am sick and tired of the poo.
I have tried different techniques but none just works
I wake in the morning and my mouth feels horrible and the only thing that makes it feel better is a cigarette. WTF mehn!!!
I see it's effects on my skin, eyes & teeth but yet the addiction is so hard to QUIT!!!
SOMEBODY HELP!!!
PRAY FOR ME BEFORE I SMOKE MY LIFE OFF
THIS IS ONE THING I NEED A BREAK FROM!!

AHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry

I know what you mean dude, I'm going through the same sh!t right now.

Do you have any smoking cessation classes in your area ? enroll in one of there classes, most of them will work with you to quit.

The classes are normally free and are sponsored by the ALA.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by agathamari(f): 5:09pm On Dec 10, 2009
yu have a nicotine addiction. basicaly your brain chemistry (dopamine receptors) have been altered and crave that nicotine which inturns relases dopamine. it will take alot of will power to quit cold turkey. best bet is to slowly ween yourself off. mind you once you stop smoking those receptors will still be there but wont be craving the nicotine but if you have even one cig years later they will roar back to life
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by donjon: 1:11am On Dec 11, 2009
If you really cant stop, pls switch to igbo (marijuana)! And
B4 you know it, it will change 4rm addiction to a recreational thingy, then you can slowly wean urself off.

Cigrette will only damage ur liver & burn fat, making you look thin!
I am yet to see a fat cigrette smoker, meanwhile hemp gives you an appetite, making you gain weight, it even makes you reason better, handling situations from a calm & cool perspective
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by mamagee3(f): 1:37am On Dec 11, 2009
Nicotine makes one a mumu. tongue
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by donjon: 3:56pm On Dec 13, 2009
No, it doesnt
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nobody: 6:56am On Dec 14, 2009
Because you dont eat kola after smoking
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by echobee(f): 7:17am On Dec 14, 2009
just like sex.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2009
mama-gee:

Nicotine/tobacco is highly addictive
It gets on your nervous system and you get addicted to it
There's no going back
. tongue
I strongly disagree. I smoke for good 15years now is going to 4 years that i have been set free from mr Nicotine bondage. though it takes a lot of challenges, but there still way out if really you want to quit.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by slimes(m): 8:48am On Dec 17, 2009
Since it's become a habit then trying to change it will be be difficult. Nicotine is a depressant that is absorbed directly by the brain just like alcohol. The qty adds up till an addiction is reached. There may be success stories of 'pullin out' bt I doubt if the process was easy. One good method I have found to change a habit is to discover a better substitute. The old habit will gradually weaken as a replacement arrives.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Dclique(m): 10:15am On Dec 17, 2009
Am not going to lie to you, its almost impossible to quit.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 2:17pm On Dec 18, 2009
The fact is, there are no miracle or magic cures for Nicotine addiction, but there some methods that have shown great promise to finally help smokers to kick out the addiction.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 2:05am On Dec 20, 2009
The Perfect Christmas Present For The Person Who Love You-Quit Smoking Now
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by coolier(f): 9:43am On Dec 20, 2009
Dclique:

Am not going to lie to you, its almost impossible to quit.

You lie!!! He can do it.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Regiblinkz(m): 10:01am On Dec 20, 2009
Once u start smoking and get addicted to it.its always hard to quit but i can quit if i were a smoking it only takes determination (LORD BLINKZ)

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 5:49pm On Dec 20, 2009
No matter how we look at it, countless studies have already proven that smoking can, indeed, kill, but why is it that people still find it hard to quit smoking even after leaning about its danger. I tell you need an expert tips.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by chiogo(f): 5:11am On Dec 21, 2009
Anything addictive is hard to quit, nicotine being one of them.

With the right attitude and effort, quitting is possible. That's the first step - Be determined to quit!

It's been said that most smokers quit on their own and not through therapies and the likes. So, work on yourself and find things that you also enjoy which do not harm your body and health.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by okele193N: 5:39am On Dec 21, 2009
Hey guy are you born again? Why not think about doing that, it will surely help!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by CarlosVent(m): 6:03am On Dec 21, 2009
cos the Devil is so wicked
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Odunnu: 6:44am On Dec 21, 2009
Shey ur ?? is 'why its hard2 quit, ?its hard bcz its addictive.Bt d gud news is 'YES U KAN quit'.Seriously,u kan.Whtevr u do consistently for 21days becomes a habit.Consciously pull ur self 2geda for 21days and say NO to d stick and see wht comes out of it
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by slap1(m): 6:59am On Dec 21, 2009
If u go 2 church, tell ur pastors & prayers warriors ur problem. First of all, be sure u REALLY want 2 quit & pray 4 urself too, cry 2 God 4 ur life wich u r gradually loosing. . .
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by imconfused(f): 7:54am On Dec 21, 2009
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by r231(m): 8:00am On Dec 21, 2009
Smoking is an addiction. The drug is nicotine and it is as bad an addiction as any other drug.

You need willpower for sure and you need the support of those around you.

It is particularly difficult to stop when smoking is part of what everyone does when you are out together.

There are no short cuts, but nicotine patches do help you to get over the addiction phase while you crack the habit and the social pressures.

If you haven't tried the patches yet I'd recommend them.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by airzzee(m): 8:31am On Dec 21, 2009
@Poster

Don’t listen to cynics. You need only one thing—your attitude! And that is located within you.

Listen to these:
”Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can.” (Willis R. Whitney).
THAT REASON IS A POSITIVE ATTITUDE!

What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen. Henry David Thoreau.

THAT THING THAT IS WITHIN YOU IS YOUR ATTITUDE. WHAT ONLY YOU (AND NO OTHER PERSON) HAS SOLUTION TO. NOT EVEN YOU IMAN OR YOUR PASTOR CAN RESCUE YOU HERE.

If you are a Christian, please, read these words; if you are not, there is nothing wrong in gaining knowledge from any source:
- The man with the negative attitude says: “Oh, that I had wings like a dove, I would fly away and be at rest” (Psalm 55:6)

- But the one with positive attitude says “…I will mount up wings like the eagles… I will run and never get tired” (Isaiah 40:31)

- “I can do all things through Christ who strengths me” – Philippians 4:13

Yes, you can!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by sodconfirm: 9:03am On Dec 21, 2009
donjon:

If you really cant stop, pls switch to igbo (marijuana)! And
  B4 you know it, it will change 4rm addiction to a recreational thingy, then you can slowly wean urself off.

Cigrette will only damage your liver & burn fat, making you look thin!
I am yet to see a fat cigrette smoker, meanwhile hemp gives you an appetite, making you gain weight, it even makes you reason better, handling situations from a calm & cool perspective 

Only a wise and reasonable smoker will take this for an advice. I don't understand why 'novists' will not just accept the fact that marijuana is better than cigarette.

The real difference is that tobacco companies pays d government well and that contributes to their pockets and d country's economy but marijuana smugglers do not have anyway to favor the government instead they spoil markets for tobacco companies due to the high rate at which people are switching over from cigarette to marijuana thereby making them to crackdown on marijuana by all means.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by seyenko(m): 9:11am On Dec 21, 2009
I smoked for more than 10 years before i decided it was time to quit. It is very difficult to quit but you must develop a strong will to quit. Let me tell you my method - i started having at least one smoke free day, usually a sunday - since i just left church service and the spirit level is high it was possible for me to keep most sundays smoke free. Then i started hanging out less and less with friends who smoke - the smell of nicotine is very powering and invigorating for a smoker. Then i stopped drinking - i really didn't enjoy a smoke without a beer, so i decided to cut back on the 2. Then i stopped buying cigarettes in packs, i started to buy in sticks. Then i stopped going to clubs and parties because the social interaction is a trigger to let off steam and start smoking.

Usually i couldn't go to bed without having a nicotine rush - instead of smoking multiple sticks before sleeping i drag a single stick of  cigar very deep into my lungs so i smoke just 1 stick instead of many. I stopped sitting down with the abokis in my neighborhood, i stopped having lengthy conversations with a lot of people who have some influence on my smoking habit - friends and abokis in the neighborhood.

I must confess it took more than 2 years before i finally quit and after quitting it took another 3 or more years of avoiding cigar smell, clubs, friend etc - before my brain could adjust that it doesn't need nicotine to function. So you see, you need a very strong will to quit, you are likely to give up a lot of friends and make a lot of personal sacrifices. Take care

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Improving Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant With Self Fertility Massage / World Hepatitis Day 2016: How His Parents Caused His Death / How To Use Oriflame Milk And Honey Sugar Scrub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.