Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,691 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

My Winning CV. Check It Out - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Winning CV. Check It Out (4923 Views)

Nairaland CV Thread: Tips, Advice & Strategies To Help You Write A Winning CV / At Last Npower 2018 Final Selection Lists Is Out See How To Check It Here / How To Write A Winning Cv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 5:57am On Feb 19, 2017
I do apply for jobs esp with NGOs that do require me to list all my job functions. I do twist my cv most importantly, to fit in the job description am aplying to. Got a few invites here and there.
What do you think of a 4-5 pages cv? Is this cv good enough and what do i need to drop and add? If you were the HR, WHAT WILL YOU THINK OF THE ME?

I do have anoda cv (2pages) which i interchange with this when applying for jobs.
HR personnels, cv gurus and others, your inputs are highly needed please
NOTE: I intentionally name the title of this thread so as to draw attention,.

1 Share

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 6:01am On Feb 19, 2017

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by umbo: 7:26am On Feb 19, 2017
/
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by serverconnect(m): 7:47am On Feb 19, 2017
Nice one

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by Sleezwizz: 8:17am On Feb 19, 2017
Shey this one no too much? Its too overcroded.

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 8:28am On Feb 19, 2017
umbo:
/
Am stil waiting for your input
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 8:28am On Feb 19, 2017
serverconnect:
Nice one
Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 8:30am On Feb 19, 2017
Sleezwizz:
Shey this one no too much? Its too overcroded.
I drop some skills when its not relevant to the post am aplying. What do i do to make it less crowdy? Your opinion
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by dingbang(m): 8:54am On Feb 19, 2017
Too long... I will toss it .

2 Likes

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by maspero22(m): 9:14am On Feb 19, 2017
first of all (go down low) , it is too long. Two or three pages is ok because no recruiter has the time to go through all that amidst thousands of other cvs.
secondly, ur cv shudnt have 'curriculum vitae' as the title. Instead, use ur full name as the title.

6 Likes

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 19, 2017
It's true, very long

Try and summarise your points further

Also remove some details like tribe

2 Likes

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 9:22am On Feb 19, 2017
maspero22:
first of all (go down low) , it is too long. Two or three pages is ok because no recruiter has the time to go through all that amidst thousands of other cvs.
secondly, ur cv shudnt have 'curriculum vitae' as the title. Instead, use ur full name as the title.
I normally reduce my job description and skills to fit the advertised position am applying, hence becomes 3 or 4 pages at most. Some recruiters like it bulky doe, as a matter of fact am scheduled for an interview with an international NGO next week, and i used diz particular cv
Thanx for your contribution, its most useful
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 9:25am On Feb 19, 2017
Muafrika2:
It's true, very long

Try and summarise your points further

Also remove some details like tribe
No tribe there.
English, hausa, pidgin and hausa are my spoken languages. Wil summarize further as u suggested, tanx
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by napoleon77(m): 10:01am On Feb 19, 2017
praxs:
I do apply for jobs esp with NGOs that do require me to list all my job functions. I do twist my cv most importantly, to fit in the job description am aplying to. Got a few invites here and there.
What do you think of a 4-5 pages cv? Is this cv good enough and what do i need to drop and add? If you were the HR, WHAT WILL YOU THINK OF THE ME?

I do have anoda cv (2pages) which i interchange with this when applying for jobs.
HR personnels, cv gurus and others, your inputs are highly needed please
NOTE: I internationally name the title of this thread so as to draw attention

You have less than 3 years post graduate work experience but a 4-5 page CV? I have over 14 years experience gained from UK and Nigeria but my CV is just 3 pages! You obviously do not know how to summarise. Do you know how many CVs recruiters view each day? Do you think a recruiter would have time to read a 4 page CV of an individual with just about 3 years experience?

What do you mean by you internationally name the title of this thread so as to draw attention? What does internationally name mean??

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 10:22am On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

You have less than 3 years post graduate work experience but a 4-5 page CV? I have over 14 years experience gained from UK and Nigeria but my CV is just 3 pages! You obviously do not know how to summarise. Do you know how many CVs recruiters view each day? Do you think a recruiter would have time to read a 4 page CV of an individual with just about 3 years experience?

What do you mean by you internationally name the title of this thread so as to draw attention? What does internationally name mean??

Intentionally meant to write.
I stil have to 2 page cv that i use. I started using this cv jan this year and got job interview twice. I guess so recruiters have the time of going through bulky cv, just like how it can be boring to others.
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by gunuvi(m): 11:38am On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

Nice one. Please can you suggest what he should remove and how he can make it like 2 or 3 pages so we all can learn from it. It's always not easy for me too to summarize my cv.

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by napoleon77(m): 12:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
gunuvi:

Nice one. Please can you suggest what he should remove and how he can make it like 2 or 3 pages so we all can learn from it. It's always not easy for me too to summarize my cv.

1 full page for "job-related skills"? completely unnecessary.
Publications and conferences? Not necessary
9 lines for communication skills??
Over 10 lines for organizational/managerial/leadership skills
The lines for work experience could have been significantly reduced.
Listing your courses under Msc and Bsc?? not necessary.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by MyGeneration(m): 12:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
Its poor
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by Mikkyjay17(m): 3:13pm On Feb 19, 2017
MyGeneration:
Its poor

Display yours that is not poor, or gives an imperative suggestion to make the poor rich(cv)
Piffle.

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by mokoso: 3:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
A startup company solving real-world challenges, is looking for passionate young proposal writer, 0-2 years experience. Must reside within Ajah, Lagos environs.

But must be fluent in software like MS Excel, Power Point. Start

Please send your CV to nlightinog@gmail.com
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by munezo(m): 4:05pm On Feb 19, 2017
This wan na book o, e don pass CV
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by amicable09(f): 5:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
Lol.
OP, sincerely this CV of yours is indomie like no other.

I'm looking at it, the information contained, the font size, the plenty description of already stated skills and I'm wondering what you say when you go for interviews that is not on your CV.

It's not as if when you appear before an interviewer you 'read' the CV out to their hearing. In my opinion, this CV no win am.

You have a heading called 'Position Applied For' or something of that sort. Please strike that out. It should be the subject of the email when sending out your CV (job application).

Others have mentioned some things too, please make the necessary changes and if you can, those skills need not be explained in detail like that. HR guys aren't zombies.

I think your font size is too small. I may be wrong. I may be right.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 5:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:
Lol.

I'm looking at it, the information contained, the font size, the plenty description of already stated skills and I'm wondering what you say when you go for interviews that is not on your CV.

It's not as if when you appear before an interviewer you 'read' the CV out to their hearing. In my opinion, this CV no win am.

You have a heading called 'Position Applied For' or something of that sort. Please strike that out. It should be the subject of the email when sending out your CV (job application).

Others have mentioned some things too, please make the necessary changes and if you can, those skills need not be explained in detail like that. HR guys aren't zombies.

Good luck!
Good observation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by joseph1832ng: 6:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:
Lol.

Good luck!
Funny thing is if the OP knows OBJ or Atiku or even IBB all what you stated won't matter.

I've long given up on writing 'breath taking' CV's since the day it dawned on me that in Nigeria, 'who you know' create ways like Moses created a way for the Israelite to pass the Red Sea. grin

2 Likes

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by amicable09(f): 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2017
joseph1832ng:
Funny thing is if the OP knows OBJ or Atiku or even IBB all what you stated won't matter.

I've long given up on writing 'breath taking' CV's since the day it dawned on me that in Nigeria, 'who you know' create ways like Moses created a way for the Israelite to pass the Red Sea. grin
I totally disagree!
I have seen connection fail time and time again. In fact, I spent a considerable time after church service today discussing with a friend in church who is out of job.

Her parents are very influential. She studied abroad and has a master's degree but she couldn't keep a job.

Connection is like a beautiful face on a woman. It will fetch you suitors and may even get you a marriage partner but won't guarantee you a lasting marriage that is successful.

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by Nobody: 7:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
dingbang:
Too long... I will toss it .
I will do the same.

1 Like

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by joseph1832ng: 7:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

I totally disagree!
I have seen connection fail time and time again. In fact, I spent a considerable time after church service today discussing with a friend in church who is out of job.

Her parents are very influential. She studied abroad and has a master's degree but she couldn't keep a job.

Connection is like a beautiful face on a woman. It will fetch you suitors and may even get you a marriage partner but won't guarantee you a lasting marriage that is successful.
Wrong! Connection is everything. I'm telling you, your friend whose parents are influential is lacking something, the sane ingredient everybody wants and likes to associate with: Intelligence.

No offence, if her parents are that influential and she's having difficulty in getting a job, then I'm left to believe she's just a pretty face with a foreign degree.

Connections only fail those who don't know how to use it, or those who are dumb and outrightly depend on who they know to survive.

An intelligent man who knows what he wants, who makes nepotism his best friend, have the sky, not as his limit, but as his starting point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by amicable09(f): 7:37pm On Feb 19, 2017
joseph1832ng:
Wrong! Connection is everything. I'm telling you, your friend whose parents are influential is lacking something, the sane ingredient everybody wants and likes to associate with: Intelligence.

No offence, if her parents are that influential and she's having difficulty in getting a job, then I'm left to believe she's just a pretty face with a foreign degree.

Connections only fail those who don't know how to use it, or those who are dumb and outrightly depend on who they know to survive.

An intelligent man who knows what he wants, who makes nepotism his best friend. have the sky, not as his limit, but as his starting point.
No! No! No! No!
Connection is not everything. Connection can fail. It has been failing since the days of Methuselah sef.

Talent, they say, is never enough.
Connection, I say, can never be enough.

An intelligent man doesn't rely on connection alone. Believe you me. He's too intelligent to know that who you know only helps when you're knocking on doors, when the doors open, what comes out from your mouth had better be sense making.
Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by kaboninc(m): 7:38pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

I totally disagree!

Connection is like having a First Class...

Both can take to the door and in some cases cross the door..

But neither of them can keep you in the job or sustain the job...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 7:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:
Lol.

Good luck!
Madam, i like your observation but one thing is the cv isnt indomie-like as you asserted. I applied for 5 jobs with diz cv in january and got an invite from two. One of the invite is even a USAID while the other is a dutch organization. I guess the HRs are zombies for going tro that and inviting.

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by joseph1832ng: 7:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

No! No! No! No!
Connection is not everything. Connection can fail. It has been failing since the days of Methuselah sef.

Talent, they say, is never enough.
Connection, I say, can never be enough.

An intelligent man doesn't rely on connection alone. Believe you me. He's too intelligent to know that who you know only helps when you're knocking on doors, when the doors open, what comes out from your mouth had better be sense making.
Not when the person opening the door know you're related to OBJ. Tell me, do you honestly think any HR would want to give any form of BS to someone he or she knows is related to OBJ? Come on now.

Yea, I know connection isn't everything. That's why intelligence and connection work well hand in hand, like bread and butter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Winning CV. Check It Out by praxs(m): 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2017
joseph1832ng:

I got diz invites without connection or anytin of that. Connection will get u mostly the Govt jobs. Exp, skills and ur ability will get u private or Non-govtmental job.
My 2 cent

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Are Hiring / Action Aid Interview - What's Their Pay Structure Like? / Globacom Secondment Recruitment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.