Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns (1696 Views)

Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language / ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AloyEmeka6: 12:51am On Dec 09, 2009
Yoruba Language may be lost in 10 years - Alao-Akala warns
By Dare Adekanmbi
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
UNLESS conscious efforts are made at reversing its neglect by young and old, Yoruba Language may go into extinction in the next 10 years, Oyo State governor, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, has warned.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/8/605.html

Chief Alao-Akala dropped the warning on Monday at the opening ceremony of the maiden Oyo State festival in Ibadan. The governor, who lamented the premium being placed on English Language at the expense of the indigenous codes, charged the older generation of Yoruba to prioritise transmitting of culture values, especially the language of the ethnic group, to younger generations.

He enjoined policy makers and those in government to borrow from the example of countries like Japan and China, who had adopted the policy of educating students through their indigenous languages, adding that the leadership of such countries should enthral Nigeria.

While stressing the need for teachers to impart quality Yoruba culture in the pupils, Alao-Akala said Nigeria could not be indifferent to the cultural re-awakening and revival sweeping through the world.

“The festival, which begins today, will set the pace for the revival of our cultural heritage. There has, for a long time, been a misconception of what cultural values stand for. A clear distinction should be made between religion and culture. One evil effect of colonialism is the assault on our culture. We were actively encouraged to forget our past,” he added.

The governor also bemoaned the neglect of the practice of divining the future of newly born children, adding that the practice should not be misconstrued as glorification of idolatry.

He said that the state would use the festival to rebuild and energise the tourism potential, with a view to transforming all sectors of the state’s economy.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by MrCrackles(m): 12:53am On Dec 09, 2009
Alao AKala should get fuc.king lost. . .
He wants to been seen as a relevant fella but the dude is a top grade buffoon who knows jac.k shi.t
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by Nobody: 12:55am On Dec 09, 2009
NEVER!!!!!!!!!

My children's children's children will speak it in good and bad times.

Egbe omo Yoruba and its identity, I hope, will continue to thrive cool
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AloyEmeka6: 12:58am On Dec 09, 2009
I don't know why  the bleaching gay*got didn't predict the demise of bleaching cream in 10 years if global warming continues.

Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by mamagee3(f): 12:58am On Dec 09, 2009
Yoruba, lost in 10 years. shocked shocked
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AloyEmeka6: 1:01am On Dec 09, 2009
Happy after a dose of bleaching cream. Governor I-MUST-BE-YELLOW.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/205714_Alao_Akala_jpg8ca3c39b5a378dbf0f484eae5870b5b9
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AloyEmeka6: 1:02am On Dec 09, 2009
mama-gee:

Yoruba, lost in 10 years. shocked shocked

There is no Nigerian language that will go into extinction in the next 200 years as long as there are people from those areas who communicate with it.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by mrperfect(m): 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2009
The prediction is too short, thus unlikely.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AndreUweh(m): 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2009
Put bleaching aside. His message is very clear i.e promotion of yoruba ways of life. A similar call was made by Anambra state Governor late last year and by May this '09, Anambra lawmakers responded with some positive bills on culture.
In as much as I like the Yorubas to promote Yoruba culture, methinks it will not die. Here in the UK, I know lots of third generation Yorubas who speak the language. The Yoruba race of 40 million people worldwide, no the language will not die.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by foyeks2001(f): 5:03pm On Dec 09, 2009
Alao Akala the betrayal
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by ijeoma2619: 2:31am On Dec 11, 2009
and what has that got to do with you @ emeka?
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by ijeoma2619: 2:33am On Dec 11, 2009
yoruba language may be lost in 10yrs, i bu onye yoruba??
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AndreUweh(m): 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2009
ijeoma2619:

yoruba language may be lost in 10yrs, i bu onye yoruba??

No, he is not a Yoruba man, but he is a man who does not want African languages to face extinction. I buy some of his ideas.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by ijeoma2619: 4:12am On Dec 13, 2009
thats good to know, onye oma emeka. lol
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by Sammy107d(m): 5:45am On Dec 13, 2009
dat nigger reeks filth!
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AloyEmeka6: 7:26am On Dec 13, 2009
Sammy107_d:

dat nigger reeks filth!

Alao Akala is not a nigger o. His skin is not black.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AndreUweh(m): 11:43am On Dec 13, 2009
The tribal marks may be lost in ten years. That should be Alao-Akala's worry.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by Tsiya(m): 11:59am On Dec 13, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

There is no Nigerian language that will go into extinction in the next 200 years as long as there are people from those areas who communicate with it.

There are many Nigerian Languages, especially in the north, that are on the path to extinction. The only reason why some languages in the North are still surviving is the micro nature of the economy of the Northern Nigeria. Hausa Language is gradually making numerous languages in the North irrelevant and they will definately go extincts. All the ethnic groups sandwitch in larger hausa territories, risk their language disappearing. I certainly know of ethnic groups and tribes in Bauchi, Gombe and Plateau that are automatically on the path to extinction and nothing can stop that

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by semid4lyfe(m): 11:21pm On Dec 13, 2009
Tsiya:

There are many Nigerian Languages, especially in the north, that are on the path to extinction. The only reason why some languages in the North are still surviving is the micro nature of the economy of the Northern Nigeria. Hausa Language is gradually making numerous languages in the North irrelevant and they will definately go extincts. All the ethnic groups sandwitch in larger hausa territories, risk their language disappearing. I certainly know of ethnic groups and tribes in Bauchi, Gombe and Plateau that are automatically on the path to extinction and nothing can stop that

Gbam!
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AloyEmeka6: 7:15pm On Dec 14, 2009
Tsiya:

Are Gombe and Bauchi not 100% hausa states?
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by AndreUweh(m): 8:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
Gombe and Bauchi states are predominantly Hausa. There are pockets of non-Hausas in those states and they are chiefly christians.
Re: Yoruba Language May Be Lost In 10 Years - Alao-akala Warns by Afam4eva(m): 3:04pm On Sep 18, 2012
I just had to bring this thread back to life because this has to be one of the most stup1d statements made in this century. Even the smallest language in Nigeria cannot be lost in the next 30 years not to talk of Yoruba in 10 years? Thank God these guy was showed the way out else he would have said that "Ijaw is the most popular language in Yorubaland". Pls can someone confirm if this guy is still in jail?

(1) (Reply)

How The Yoruba Cap And Igbo Cap Came From The Crown Of The Egyptian Pharaoh / What's Professor Umaru Shehu's Ethnicity? / 10 Fascinating Cultures That May Soon Disappear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.