Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,755 members, 7,806,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? (6113 Views)

How Can Your Snails Survive During This Harmattan? / Horse Like Tree Trunk � / What Could Have Killed This Chicken & How Would The Chicks Survive? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 9:18pm On Feb 20, 2017
There's this fish they sell in the market, it's called horse. I have been wondering if any fish farmer is into it.

I have researched and I haven't found anyone into such fish specie.

Do you have any clue on how to rear such fish and where to get it?

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by matrixme(m): 10:09pm On Feb 20, 2017
It is a marine fish, caught in the high seas and specific zones around the world. It is not exactly a cultivable species.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 7:18am On Feb 21, 2017
matrixme:
It is a marine fish, caught in the high seas and specific zones around the world. It is not exactly a cultivable species.

Aww
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by midastouch: 9:44am On Feb 21, 2017
matrixme:

Tuna is also a marine fish, and it has been successfully cultivated around the world. Never say never!

1 Like

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by sellers4buyers(m): 4:16pm On Feb 21, 2017
Anything is possible and workable in Nigeria here, it's matter of determination and sacrifice it will work. God bless.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 7:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
Lalasticlala Seun help our ministry.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 7:24pm On Feb 21, 2017
sellers4buyers:
Anything is possible and workable in Nigeria here, it's matter of determination and sacrifice it will work. God bless.

To get this fish is where the koko is. I would like to experiment with it.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
I think this is Atlantic Mackerel (a.k.a Titus in Nigeria) not Horse Mackerel (a.k.a Kote in Nigeria).
You would have to somehow recreate the seawater conditions under which this fish normally grows.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Tintinnoty(m): 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2017
Following
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Tintinnoty(m): 9:39pm On Feb 21, 2017
Seun:
I think this is Atlantic Mackerel (a.k.a Titus in Nigeria) not Horse Mackerel (a.k.a Kote in Nigeria).
You would have to somehow recreate the seawater conditions under which this fish normally grows.
Maybe you can help move this to fp for more meaningful contribution. Who knows someone with superior knowledge might see it and key in meaningful contribution
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 1:33am On Feb 22, 2017
In Japan, it is been cultivated in a fish farming tank. The process isn't cumbersome but the machines used would be expensive and the experts needed to monitor the process no be beans.
I watched the documentary in school during a course in fish farming. It's been a while but what they did was to provide machines which could mimick the conditions the fish needed to survive, a oxygen purification equipment and salty water, I was whaooed.

I know the same thing can be done anywhere if you are willing to spend and maintain what is known as quality and standard. It ain't gonna be easy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 7:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
Youngzedd:
There's this fish they sell in the market, it's called horse. I have been wondering if any fish farmer is into it.

I have researched and I haven't found anyone into such fish specie.

Do you have any clue on how to rear such fish and where to get it?
capital intensive but possible to raise marine species

Floating farm on high seas
matrixme

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 7:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
nurey:
In Japan, it is been cultivated in a fish farming tank. The process isn't cumbersome but the machines used would be expensive and the experts needed to monitor the process no be beans.
I watched the documentary in school during a course in fish farming. It's been a while but what they did was to provide machines which could mimick the conditions the fish needed to survive, a oxygen purification equipment and salty water, I was whaooed.

I know the same thing can be done anywhere if you are willing to spend and maintain what is known as quality and standard. It ain't gonna be easy

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 9:29pm On Feb 22, 2017
mikolo80:
capital intensive but possible to raise marine species

Floating farm on high seas
matrixme

This would have been nice but remember he would need the Atlantic Ocean for it. With our stupid maritime law, the way things work in this country, he would have to settle a lot of pockets, do a lot of paper and leg work, in fact it would be better to just build a offshore farm tank
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 12:44am On Feb 23, 2017
nurey:

This would have been nice but remember he would need the Atlantic Ocean for it. With our stupid maritime law, the way things work in this country, he would have to settle a lot of pockets, do a lot of paper and leg work, in fact it would be better to just build a offshore farm tank
which permit
Who go hold am.
Our brown water Navy?
Or who.
Besides if he has enough to do what I am seeing in those pictures then he has enough to do the needful.
Or do you get land for fishpond or farming for free ?
Cost of doing business.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 9:35am On Feb 23, 2017
mikolo80:
which permit
Who go hold am.
Our brown water Navy?
Or who.
Besides if he has enough to do what I am seeing in those pictures then he has enough to do the needful.
Or do you get land for fishpond or farming for free ?
Cost of doing business.

very funny, seems you dont know the kind of law we run in Nigeria, you think you can just carry canoe/boat any how in Nigerian waters, we have inland water ways security (police) their head quaters in lagos is close to military hospital Ikoyi.

the mackerel grows in salty ocean water not river or lagoon. Besides have you seen the water close to Nigerian shores, is that the kind of water you want to grow your own mackerel? prepare to be selling fish with plastic, dirt and oil (petrol, diesel, engine oil)found inside, i dont think the international market will buy from you as quality is compromised.

The documentary i watched was an offshore farm tank in a building not open sea water.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by frisky2good(m): 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2017
It will be cheaper to buy a trawler and get fishing license then go out there and get them.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by SaintMorris: 1:49pm On Feb 23, 2017
frisky2good:
It will be cheaper to buy a trawler and get fishing license then go out there and get them.
Then militants hijack your trawler and shoot you dead...end of Solomon grandy grin

2 Likes

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 11:26pm On Feb 23, 2017
[quote author=nurey post=53976794]

very funny, seems you dont know the kind of law we run in Nigeria, you think you can just carry canoe/boat any how in Nigerian waters, we have inland water ways security (police) their head quaters in lagos is close to military hospital Ikoyi.
[/quote ]

It's Nigeria
Anything goes
Shoot everything goes
How many canoe police get
Police can be bribed
Ocean is not inland waterways

the mackerel grows in salty ocean water not river or lagoon.
[/quote ]

Duh?
[quote]
Besides have you seen the water close to Nigerian shores, is that the kind of water you want to grow your own mackerel?

[/quote ]

What's wrong with the water
What's the difference with the picture I sent
[quote] prepare to be selling fish with plastic, dirt and oil (petrol, diesel, engine oil)found inside, [/quote ]

What oil plastic in Lagos lagoon
[quote]
i dont think the international market will buy from you as quality is compromised.
[/quote ]

We have about 200 million hungry consumers
What the f do we need international (further 600 million in Africa)
To hell with white man
[quote]
The documentary i watched was an offshore farm tank in a building not open sea water.
Hmmm
Building
On water
Gotta love the white man
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 6:58am On Feb 24, 2017
[quote author=mikolo80 post=54001453][/quote]

That's what am saying, the lagoons won't work, the fish needs salty water so you have to go through beach. The last time I checked, all the beach in Nigeria are privately owned

Also if the beach permission is given, you need to site your water tank far off shore, the last time I checked you need a permit from the Nigerian Navy to go that far offshore, you need to rent/lease the sea, your own transportation vessel for food, medicine etc. All this can be done but it is either you pay for it or press button the naija style.

Now oil and plastic, shows you don't buy Nigeria to grow Nigeria if you actually buy local fish caught in the sea or reared in the lagoon (makoko people) you will know what I am talking about.

Now you talk about local consumers, you very funny last time I checked cat fish is more nutritious and has better value than the mackerel in fact you can buy 2 mackerel with the price of one cat fish.

Also you said to hell with international market, shows you don't know the power of agribusiness instead of agriculture. If I was rearing mackerel and it is sold at 2dollar 50cent to international market and I have to sell at 300naira at local market, do you think I won't prefer the dollar?
At 320 naira to a dollar my mackerel goes for 800naira,so if I could make more, why will I settle for less.

Also on this point have you been patronize by a middleman in Nigeria, I guess not because the way they price your product like tomorrow will not come is appalling

grin
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:46am On Feb 24, 2017
It's cheaper to catch fish than to farm them, and the mackerel is very abundant in the seas. Farming is best for endangered or scarce species.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by midastouch: 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2017
@Seun has a point. If you watch Documentaries on how Trawlers haul entire schools of Mackerel on board their boats, with GPS assisted technology and all that stuff, you will know that if you farm them, you can never compete on price. They are not an endangered species for now.
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2017
[quote author=nurey post=54005089]

That's what am saying, the lagoons won't work, the fish needs salty water so you have to go through beach. The last time I checked, all the beach in Nigeria are privately owned
[/quote ]

When were akwa ibom or ondo or ogun or ph or Bayelsa beaches privatised
Lagos is not the only beachy coastline Mr know it all

Also if the beach permission is given, you need to site your water tank far off shore, the last time I checked you need a permit from the Nigerian Navy to go that far offshore, you need to rent/lease the sea, your own transportation vessel for food, medicine etc. All this can be done but it is either you pay for it or press button the naija style.

[/quote ]

The same Nigerian Navy that can not stop sea pirates abi
The ocean is a very large place my friend
You can start now and pay later or just move around
[quote]

Now oil and plastic, shows you don't buy Nigeria to grow Nigeria if you actually buy local fish caught in the sea or reared in the lagoon (makoko people) you will know what I am talking about.
[/quote ]
and you my friend are pretending like you're not a Nigerian
Where ppl dug up buried bird flu chicken
Is it oil and plastic that will starve them
Abeg talk something serious

[quote]
Now you talk about local consumers, you very funny last time I checked cat fish is more nutritious and has better value than the mackerel in fact you can buy 2 mackerel with the price of one cat fish.

[/quote ]

My point exactly
Why buy cater when mackerel is cheaper
Abi you think say everyone get moni like you

[quote]

Also you said to hell with international market, shows you don't know the power of agribusiness instead of agriculture. If I was rearing mackerel and it is sold at 2dollar 50cent to international market and I have to sell at 300naira at local market, do you think I won't prefer the dollar?
At 320 naira to a dollar my mackerel goes for 800naira,so if I could make more, why will I settle for less.
[/quote ]

We cant feed ourselves yet you're worried about int'l market
And if int'l market is willing to pay more then I don't see the problem
You're only worried when int'l market can out produce you and crash price not when they pay more

[quote]
Also on this point have you been patronize by a middleman in Nigeria, I guess not because the way they price your product like tomorrow will not come is appalling

grin
time to sell directly to consumers
If you have enough to start a giant project like thirty have enough to market direct to consumers.
And if it's too hot for you, get the fork out the kitchen and allow serious ppl see road (figure of speech, not you personally)
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 4:28pm On Feb 24, 2017
[quote author=mikolo80 post=54021158][/quote]

I won't fault some of your answers anyway but you tried, I think we have all added positively to the ops business plan, I don't have much info about animals in agriculture for now I have a thing for crops grin

One love brother
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2017
nurey:

I won't fault some of your answers anyway but you tried, I think we have all added positively to the ops business plan, I don't have much info about animals in agriculture for now I have a thing for crops grin

One love brother
ah my guy
I need advice on crops o
Plantain
Pineapple
Rice
Maize beans soya
Mowu chat Abeg
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 4:44pm On Feb 24, 2017
mikolo80:
ah my guy I need advice on crops o Plantain Pineapple Rice Maize beans soya Mowu chat Abeg
OK boss, contact in mah signature
Re: Can Horse Mackerel Fish Survive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 12:49am On Feb 25, 2017
nurey:

OK boss, contact in mah signature
will do

(1) (Reply)

You Must Read This! Before You Start Your Farm. / The Agony Of An Agric. Student / Before You Start A Pepper Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.