Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It (2636 Views)

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Rooting An Android Phone / Disadvantage Of Rooting Your Android Smartphone / How To Customize Your Android Launcher Without Rooting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 21, 2017
I’ve used quite a number of Android phones over the years, and more than 80% I made sure I rooted. Rooting was a major part of using an Android phone for me and a lot of enthusiasts who want to get the most out of their device. Installing custom ROMs to transform your device used to be fun, the total freedom you get with root access and those extra customizations you can mess with using Xposed Framework modules make rooting a worthwhile experience.

Lately, I’ve asked myself if it’s really worth it. Over the past one year or so, I’ve had less urge to root my Android devices. As a matter of fact, the Android device I’m currently using is unrooted, same with the last two.

The dangers of rooting
I’ve always understood the dangers of rooting, but that wasn’t even why I stopped. Rooting your phome opens your device to potential attacks. It makes it easier for hackers to gain access to private data. Certain Android malware are specifically targeted at rooted devices, stealing passwords, contact lists, credentials and other personal information.

Like I mentioned earlier, I didn’t stop rooting my Android devices because of this.

Better customized software from OEMs
Google has made Android OS a lot better with new features added at every major update. Managing app permissions used to be a feature you could only get through custom ROMs, but this now comes with Android OS by default. OEMs too have stepped up the game, adding new features to the operating system through their different custom UIs.

Most of the features you had to root your device to get now ship with your device by default. Unlike iOS, you don’t need root access to sideload third party apps, all you need to do is to allow installation of apps from unknown sources through the settings.

And when you talk about customizations, all OEMs now have their own custom user interfaces: Samsung has Touchwiz, Huawei has EMUI, Xiaomi has MIUI and Infinix has XOS. Every manufacturer wants to be different, leaving users even more options to choose from. Some even further let you personalize your device through themes. Even power management features are no longer exclusive to custom ROMs and apps.

Conclusion
Times have changed. I am a power user but I’ve come to realize that root access is no longer necessary for my day-to-day Android use. Is it just me or there are Android users out there who no longer feel it’s necessary to root their devices?

Don Caprio

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by shiftback: 11:12am On Feb 21, 2017
This post is all me.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Mikeshiangala(m): 11:27am On Feb 21, 2017
Though nowadays phones ship with all those new customizations,its nothing compared to rooting.

Rooting opens a door of doing what i want,when i want and how i want the device to appear....not get stuck to the manufacturers designs and customization.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2017
The last 3devices I used plus the current one========No Rooting
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by ib4real95(m): 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2017
Youre not alone bro.. i stopped rooting and tweaking of my devices about 2 yrs ago because it just became tiring and boring.. I just use the phone the way it came out of the box.. the only tweak present on my phone is the imei(1k for 3gb).. my nxt phone wld be an iphone cos i just want a speedy device with zero lags that runs my apps fine.

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 21, 2017
Praise the Lord someone has grown up

2 Likes

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by GoodyOG: 4:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
story for the gods......am still using my pone with full root access....

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Baroba(m): 4:33pm On Feb 21, 2017
The only reason I will consider rooting is for titanium back up, I pray for the day google will bake that feature into android.. android OS has come a long way, and man gat better things to do these days..It was fun while it lasted.. The MIUI am using even looks like a custom ROM with all those features you get with it.. dual space, clone app..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by tafat: 5:57pm On Feb 21, 2017
Na them who still dey root phones
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Mikeshiangala(m): 6:31pm On Feb 21, 2017
undecided Do you mean those who root phones are still babies??

asodane:
Praise the Lord someone has grown up

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by OGeeKush(m): 6:43pm On Feb 21, 2017
Android to most people is customization and to customise you have to root, so tell me wtf is android without rooting. You'd be better off with an iphone.

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by ekanDamie: 7:11pm On Feb 21, 2017
fonts, rooting, customs Roms, setting ringtone, changing themes n wallpaper every now and then is common with teenagers or those who just begin to use Android fones.
wen u grow up, u stop DOS shiii cos ur either waiting for alert or important call most of d time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Bahddo(m): 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2017
This is all shades of ignorant, and only applicable to users who are neither techy nor adventurous, those who like to pretend that maturity is the reason they don't know how to unleash the power of their phones.

Custom ROMS and fonts, and xposed installer are not the sole reasons every one who roots their phone does it. Don't expect everyone to be content with generic OEM bloatware and basic functionality.

There are apps like lucky patcher and titanium backup, I can't use a phone without them and they need root. If I'm using a phone, it has to feel like it belongs to me.

NB: Unrooted phones are susceptible to malware too. That's because you don't need root access to steal contact info and other private info. The secret of malware is in the suspicious permissions that the app needs, not the rooted state of your phone.

4 Likes

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Mikeshiangala(m): 7:32pm On Feb 21, 2017
my friend Just because you are not a lover of technology doesn't mean everyone is like you...some people live off this tech you call for teenagers.

The guy who introduced me to rooting is 47 right now and therefore age is not a matter here.

Stop genaralizing people...

ekanDamie:
fonts, rooting, customs Roms, setting ringtone, changing themes n wallpaper every now and then is common with teenagers or those who just begin to use Android fones.
wen u grow up, u stop DOS shiii cos ur either waiting for alert or important call most of d time
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by sajmark(m): 9:18pm On Feb 21, 2017
Rooting is a thing of the past! I rooted ma phone nd discovered it wasn't really necessary had to unroot it.
rooting was gr8 when we used older versions of android.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by ekanDamie: 10:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
Mikeshiangala:
my friend Just because you are not a lover of technology doesn't mean everyone is like you...some people live off this tech you call for teenagers.

The guy who introduced me to rooting is 47 right now and therefore age is not a matter here.

Stop genaralizing people...

lol. he introduced you cos he does tech ish for a living.
someone who doesn't use such to make money but just doing it cos he wants to change the UI of his fine is a teenager simple.

cos as a man. goin all out tweaking ur fone to look a certain way is d least of ur probs

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by ekanDamie: 10:26pm On Feb 21, 2017
Bahddo:
This is all shades of ignorant, and only applicable to users who are neither techy nor adventurous, those who like to pretend that maturity is the reason they don't know how to unleash the power of their phones.

Custom ROMS and fonts, and xposed installer are not the sole reasons every one who roots their phone does it. Don't expect everyone to be content with generic OEM bloatware and basic functionality.

There are apps like lucky patcher and titanium backup, I can't use a phone without them and they need root. If I'm using a phone, it has to feel like it belongs to me.

NB: Unrooted phones are susceptible to malware too. That's because you don't need root access to steal contact info and other private info. The secret of malware is in the suspicious permissions that the app needs, not the rooted state of your phone.
can you just show us images of special, off the hook features your done now has with ur rooted state. I can bet u, uld have nothing wow to tell
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Bahddo(m): 11:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
ekanDamie:

can you just show us images of special, off the hook features your done now has with ur rooted state. I can bet u, uld have nothing wow to tell
No I don't have anything wow to tell, and I'm not posting images either. What I do with my phone is based on what I need, not what can impress a stranger whose opinion doesn't matter. Rooting makes it easier to tailor-make your Android phone to suit your needs. Just three examples of what rooting does for me...

I can easily make any app a multi-profile app with one button touch on titanium backup. That way I can use an app like Whatsapp with as many accounts as I like without having to install any other app. This is important to me because there are times when I don't really want to talk to just anyone without having to ignore them, I can easily switch to a profile containing an account (on the same official app) with a number only a few important persons have.

I can easily backup and restore any app together with its data without having to connect to any cloud service on the internet. I experiment with stuff a lot and it's important that I'm able to easily restore apps if I mess them up. This also means I can transfer my backup to a new phone, restore backup and continue exactly from where I stopped on the old one.

With lucky patcher, I can re-engineer an app to remove some annoying features, like incessant ads that waste my data or fill up the whole screen. The only way to stop ads without rooting is to use the Android firewall to block the app. Now that would mean that the whole app wouldn't get access to the Internet. What if you want the connection but not the ads?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Nobody: 2:06am On Feb 22, 2017
Using an android phone without root access is like white rice without sauce. Sure, rooting and other customization have gotten boring over the years but...

For some of us, rooting is an addiction, some apps need to be on our phones and those apps need root access. For those set of apps we'd root android Z if we have to.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Mikeshiangala(m): 3:56am On Feb 22, 2017
and as i said...lovers of tech will do it regardless of their age...
its only in africa where "most" of the old people think that things should be done out of technology...like 'real' work is not in tech.

Come on...its 2017 and the world is full of techies who love it to the fullest...
Xiaomi company started as a result of tweakers of the tech....and just because someone is tweaking their phone doesn't mean they aint receiving serious calls......its a free world......no one has to live according to someone else's tunes...we create ours.
ekanDamie:

lol. he introduced you cos he does tech ish for a living.
someone who doesn't use such to make money but just doing it cos he wants to change the UI of his fine is a teenager simple.

cos as a man. goin all out tweaking ur fone to look a certain way is d least of ur probs

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Nobody: 3:58am On Feb 22, 2017
sajmark:
Rooting is a thing of the past! I rooted ma phone nd discovered it wasn't really necessary had to unroot it.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Mikeshiangala(m): 3:59am On Feb 22, 2017
thatkindthing:
You only root phone when u buy nonsense na, why would someone root a device like the DroiPad 10 pro II?

Turn to wikipedia and read about rooting again.
We out hear are rooting htc,sony,samsung,lg,xiaomi,tecno,....etc...etc
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Mikeshiangala(m): 4:02am On Feb 22, 2017
undecided and you also stopped watching television because its a thing of the 'past' huh!!

sajmark:
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Lexusgs430: 6:18am On Feb 22, 2017
So how do we poor pheasants appreciate Lucky patcher to its full potentials without rooting?
#Teamstillrooting

1 Like

Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by ekanDamie: 8:31am On Feb 22, 2017
Bahddo:
No I don't have anything wow to tell, and I'm not posting images either. What I do with my phone is based on what I need, not what can impress a stranger whose opinion doesn't matter. Rooting makes it easier to tailor-make your Android phone to suit your needs. Just three examples of what rooting does for me...

I can easily make any app a multi-profile app with one button touch on titanium backup. That way I can use an app like Whatsapp with as many accounts as I like without having to install any other app. This is important to me because there are times when I don't really want to talk to just anyone without having to ignore them, I can easily switch to a profile containing an account (on the same official app) with a number only a few important persons have.

I can easily backup and restore any app together with its data without having to connect to any cloud service on the internet. I experiment with stuff a lot and it's important that I'm able to easily restore apps if I mess them up. This also means I can transfer my backup to a new phone, restore backup and continue exactly from where I stopped on the old one.

With lucky patcher, I can re-engineer an app to remove some annoying features, like incessant ads that waste my data or fill up the whole screen. The only way to stop ads without rooting is to use the Android firewall to block the app. Now that would mean that the whole app wouldn't get access to the Internet. What if you want the connection but not the ads?

well, am not against techy stuff, in fact what u enumerated makes sense, esp 1 and 3. all am saying is those who just root cos dey wanna be changing fonts n such.
cool tho. well done.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by ekanDamie: 8:35am On Feb 22, 2017
Mikeshiangala:
and as i said...lovers of tech will do it regardless of their age...
its only in africa where "most" of the old people think that things should be done out of technology...like 'real' work is not in tech.

Come on...its 2017 and the world is full of techies who love it to the fullest...
Xiaomi company started as a result of tweakers of the tech....and just because someone is tweaking their phone doesn't mean they aint receiving serious calls......its a free world......no one has to live according to someone else's tunes...we create ours.
well, as u said it's a free world. I only voiced my opinion initially cos I was into all this lucky patcher, mobile uncle thingy wen I was still younger but now, I read tutorials n just look away. some people still wear snap backs n sag at d age of 40. so why am I even arguing about age in d first place, everyone should suit themselves jareh.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by An0nimus: 11:44am On Feb 22, 2017
I get ekanDamie, if you're a techy or make money of tech then rooting may be justifiable.

Thing is, there's a stage you get to you're like "men what's all this?". You don't even have time to sit and watch tutorial vids talk more of rooting. All you need are basic important apps and life goes on. No time bruv.

A similar thing applies to all these free internet hustle.
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Opistorincos(m): 11:46am On Feb 22, 2017
Rooting rocks.... It's as simple as that
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by olamitiwale(m): 11:59am On Feb 22, 2017
Age or maturity doesn't matter when it come to rooting.

"Most of the features you had to root your device to get now ship with your device by default"

You said "most" but not all. I had also try not to root my current phone when I bought it, bt @times I feel lyk am lacking some privilege on my phone. I even had to flash d fone and install lollipop 5.1 when am having difficulties in rooting the 6.0. As for me if I buy a new fone 2day I will surely root it

NB: It would have been better if u haven't tasted rooting b4
Re: Android Rooting: Why I No Longer Do It by Hysmady(m): 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2017
Yeah...Same thing to me also...I rooted and mod all my android phones I've been using since 2012 till 2016 and found out it doesn't worth it dat much and I craved for more security...So I opted in for iPhone...No jailbreak no rooting no mod...That's d way I want it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 5 Lite Vs Tecno Spark K7. / Infinix Smart 2 Unboxing / Mtn Mpulse Prepaid Plan - Get 1.2gb For N150 And 350mb For N50

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.