Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ (38234 Views)

Top 5 Dog Breeds That Are Best For Guarding Nigerian Homes / Checkout The Most Dangerous DOG Breeds. / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by LastSurvivor11: 10:12am On Jun 29, 2017
Nma27:
I'm IBO. I've never tasted it yet.

Nne it's Igbo not Ibo biko..
Igbo no get phonetics, always correct ur fellows who make that mistake if ur truly nwa afo.
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by banmee(m): 10:13am On Jun 29, 2017
mrtegation99:
OP can lie. If it's not our Mumu local Nigerian dog it's not it at all. All other dogs are fake

There is nothing like local dog. It all depends on how you treat them. Treat them like crap and they'll look like crap. The concept in Nigeria is if you have a pot belly and big, you are the shiit. Lol. A dog does not not have to be furry and fat to be well bred.
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 29, 2017
LastSurvivor11:

Nne it's Igbo not Ibo biko..
Igbo no get phonetics, always correct ur fellows who make that mistake if ur truly nwa afo.
Chimu... Correction noted.

1 Like

Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Akalia(m): 10:21am On Jun 29, 2017
DogLover24:
Over the years there have been a lot of speculations and questions about the origin of the Nigerian local dog, some of which were raised when I wrote on the Basenji. While the group’s origin is largely unknown (due to lack of research on our part), there are a few breeds that I can not help but notice share a keen resemblance and possibly common ancestors with the local dog. These breeds are listed below;

The Africanis

The Africanis, also known as the African Hunting Dog is a breed indigenous to Africa, particularly Southern Africa. It is believed to be of ancient origin, directly descended from hounds and pariah dogs of ancient Africa, introduced into the Nile Valley from the Levant. The Swahili name for the breed is umbwa wa ki-shenzi meaning common or mongrel or “traditional dog”. The Africanis is medium sized with a slender build, it comes in a variety of colours, with very short, hard and thick coats.

The Africanis is very loyal and courageous with tremendous stamina. It is very playful, intelligent and good with kids. The breed is recognised by the Kennel Union of Southern Africa has a Landrace (emerging breed).

Pharaoh Hound

The Pharaoh Hound is one of the oldest domesticated dogs in recorded history. The breed’s exact origin is unknown, but some believe it began in ancient Egypt. The Pharaoh Hound is independent-minded, highly intelligent, and occasionally stubborn, yet very trainable when positive methods are used.

Numerous Egyptian artifacts and writings show a dog that is probably a direct ancestor of the Pharaoh Hound. The preservation of the breed can be credited to Malta (and Gozo) where it is known to have existed for over 2,000 years. The breed was recognised by the AKC in 1983 and is the national Hound of Malta.

Azawakh

The Azawakh is a sight hound originating from West Africa, particularly from, Algeria, Mali, Niger, and Burkina Faso, they are also bred and owned by other ethnic groups such as the Peulh, Bella, and Hausa. For hundreds of years, this breed has been the companion of the nomads of the southern Sahara, they are named after the Azawakh Valley which spans the region. The Azawakh is a working dog used to hunt small to medium animals and to guard the household. They are relatively uncommon in Europe and North America.

The Azawakh is an excellent training companion for runners and is nearly impervious to heat, it will happily run in weather over 100 degrees Fahrenheit that would kill other dogs. The breed was first recorded in the AKC foundation in 1997 and was recognised by the United Kennel Club on January 1, 1993.

Basenji

Originating from Central Africa, the Basenji is thought to be one of the world’s oldest breed of dog, dating back to the 4th dynasty (of Eygpt) over 4000 years ago. The Basenji has been used as a hunting and tracking dog since time immemorial and is placed in the hound group, specifically, as a sight hound.

The breed’s most unique characteristic is that it does not bark, this is as a result of its unusually shaped larynx. Although the breed is known to make a variety of sounds (yodelling and howling), it is usually quiet, a trait which gives the basenji the nickname ‘barkless dog’.

Pariah Dog

Pariah is a term which was initially coined to describe feral or stray medium-sized dogs found inAfrica, India, or southeastern Asia, However, throughout the 20th century, cynologists have been using the term “Pariah” to describe a primitive naturally selected breed of dogs that have the same physical appearance in all parts of the world in which they are found.

While most pariah dogs are free-ranging, not all free-ranging dogs are genetically pariah dogs, they are also not “mongrel” or “mutt,” which means a dog of mixed breed—although most mix-breed dogs are partly pariah. Individual dogs may be stray pets, descended from strays, or from litters abandoned by owners.

Source :WOOFLINE PETS http://wooflinepets.com/2017/01/29/dogs-similar-to-the-nigerian-local-dog/
OP we need visual aid so as to relate more to these varying breeds. Attach photos abeg. I heart dogs big time especially hybrids. Op is that ur dog a pitbull or some mastiff?
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by oneape: 10:22am On Jun 29, 2017
DogLover24:
Over the years there have been a lot of speculations and questions about the origin of the Nigerian local dog, some of which were raised when I wrote on the Basenji. While the group’s origin is largely unknown (due to lack of research on our part), there are a few breeds that I can not help but notice share a keen resemblance and possibly common ancestors with the local dog. These breeds are listed below;

The Africanis

The Africanis, also known as the African Hunting Dog is a breed indigenous to Africa, particularly Southern Africa. It is believed to be of ancient origin, directly descended from hounds and pariah dogs of ancient Africa, introduced into the Nile Valley from the Levant. The Swahili name for the breed is umbwa wa ki-shenzi meaning common or mongrel or “traditional dog”. The Africanis is medium sized with a slender build, it comes in a variety of colours, with very short, hard and thick coats.

The Africanis is very loyal and courageous with tremendous stamina. It is very playful, intelligent and good with kids. The breed is recognised by the Kennel Union of Southern Africa has a Landrace (emerging breed).

Pharaoh Hound

The Pharaoh Hound is one of the oldest domesticated dogs in recorded history. The breed’s exact origin is unknown, but some believe it began in ancient Egypt. The Pharaoh Hound is independent-minded, highly intelligent, and occasionally stubborn, yet very trainable when positive methods are used.

Numerous Egyptian artifacts and writings show a dog that is probably a direct ancestor of the Pharaoh Hound. The preservation of the breed can be credited to Malta (and Gozo) where it is known to have existed for over 2,000 years. The breed was recognised by the AKC in 1983 and is the national Hound of Malta.

Azawakh

The Azawakh is a sight hound originating from West Africa, particularly from, Algeria, Mali, Niger, and Burkina Faso, they are also bred and owned by other ethnic groups such as the Peulh, Bella, and Hausa. For hundreds of years, this breed has been the companion of the nomads of the southern Sahara, they are named after the Azawakh Valley which spans the region. The Azawakh is a working dog used to hunt small to medium animals and to guard the household. They are relatively uncommon in Europe and North America.

The Azawakh is an excellent training companion for runners and is nearly impervious to heat, it will happily run in weather over 100 degrees Fahrenheit that would kill other dogs. The breed was first recorded in the AKC foundation in 1997 and was recognised by the United Kennel Club on January 1, 1993.

Basenji

Originating from Central Africa, the Basenji is thought to be one of the world’s oldest breed of dog, dating back to the 4th dynasty (of Eygpt) over 4000 years ago. The Basenji has been used as a hunting and tracking dog since time immemorial and is placed in the hound group, specifically, as a sight hound.

The breed’s most unique characteristic is that it does not bark, this is as a result of its unusually shaped larynx. Although the breed is known to make a variety of sounds (yodelling and howling), it is usually quiet, a trait which gives the basenji the nickname ‘barkless dog’.

Pariah Dog

Pariah is a term which was initially coined to describe feral or stray medium-sized dogs found inAfrica, India, or southeastern Asia, However, throughout the 20th century, cynologists have been using the term “Pariah” to describe a primitive naturally selected breed of dogs that have the same physical appearance in all parts of the world in which they are found.

While most pariah dogs are free-ranging, not all free-ranging dogs are genetically pariah dogs, they are also not “mongrel” or “mutt,” which means a dog of mixed breed—although most mix-breed dogs are partly pariah. Individual dogs may be stray pets, descended from strays, or from litters abandoned by owners.

Source :WOOFLINE PETS http://wooflinepets.com/2017/01/29/dogs-similar-to-the-nigerian-local-dog/
hope ya not phuc**king ya dog?

cos this days women use to do unlawful things with their dogs.

let me not suspect you with such act shall!
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Yomzzyblog: 10:22am On Jun 29, 2017
fratermathy:
Quite informative. Nigerian local dogs are unacknowledged due to the "foreign is better" mentality of Nigerians.

CC:
Seun, Lalasticlala
So true..
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by einsteine(m): 10:27am On Jun 29, 2017
In Benin, we used to call those local dogs, Pharoahs for their resemblance to Egyptian sculpture
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by SaulRazor: 10:28am On Jun 29, 2017
Nma27:
Mongrels a.k.a 404... I heard d meat is addictive... How true is that?

Most of the dogs listed there are not mongrels but pure breeds , I think the Basenji is even the only dog breed that can't bark
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by jonero4(m): 10:31am On Jun 29, 2017
Why i like Nigeria's dog,is because they are good for hunting

1 Like

Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Giannakopoulos(f): 10:32am On Jun 29, 2017
Nma27:
which part of igbo are you
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 29, 2017
Giannakopoulos:
which part of igbo are you
Anambra. You?
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 29, 2017
SaulRazor:

Most of the dogs listed there are not mongrels but pure breeds , I think the Basenji is even the only dog breed that can't bark
Basenji! In naruto's voice... Noted.

1 Like

Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Giannakopoulos(f): 10:39am On Jun 29, 2017
Nma27:
Anambra. You?
abia
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 29, 2017
Giannakopoulos:
abia
Cool. smiley
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by LastSurvivor11: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2017
Nma27:

Lol dalu..
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by phranq(m): 11:20am On Jun 29, 2017
OP, our bingo no get any similar oooooo. You better respect yourself oooooo........they can come after you and bro.....dem go chop your leg.....favorite part.
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by NevetsIbot(m): 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:
My people from calabar and Ondo, food don land o...
Ondo people no dey chop dog that much again o
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Lexusgs430: 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2017
NevetsIbot:
Ondo people no dey chop dog that much again o

Haba, dog don scarce?
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by NevetsIbot(m): 12:35pm On Jun 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Haba, dog don scarce?
no o. For where? Dem dey keep their dogs as pets..... Nobody dey chop dogs.... Na only on Ogun festival dem dey chop dog sometimes
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Lexusgs430: 12:40pm On Jun 29, 2017
NevetsIbot:
no o. For where? Dem dey keep their dogs as pets..... Nobody dey chop dogs.... Na only on Ogun festival dem dey chop dog sometimes

LOL...... You don chop dog before?
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by NevetsIbot(m): 12:52pm On Jun 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:

LOL...... You don chop dog before?
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed God forbid. Which kain hunger wan wire me to the extent Wey I go dey chop those beautiful animals? I'm a dog lover. I prefer them to human beings sef

Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by bishop4life(m): 3:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
fratermathy:
Quite informative. Nigerian local dogs are unacknowledged due to the "foreign is better" mentality of Nigerians.

CC:
Seun, Lalasticlala

Who told you Nigerian dog is not acknowledged?
Please be guided.
Each dog breed has its area of special acknowledgement. Pet, security etc.
Nigerian local dogs are highly acknowledged in hunting and or 404.
N
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 29, 2017
nigerian Shena dog aka okala dog...The og that runs away from nylon blown by breeze
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 29, 2017
The native West African terriers are the best breed of dogs in the world....it's just that we never value anything. Now oyinbo people have discovered that our native West African dwarf goats know how to do yoga not only isi ewu...the next thing they will discover is our dogs have high I.Qs, we will be there asking why God sent us to Africa.
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by rugipp(m): 8:13pm On Jun 29, 2017
I sense first page
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by DogLover24(f): 8:44pm On Jun 29, 2017
fratermathy:

CC:
Seun, Lalasticlala

Thank you! It was very interesting coming up with the article. You can find more like it at wooflinepets.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by jbblues24(m): 2:58pm On Jun 01, 2019
This boldness blew my mind. cry
Re: Dog Breeds Similar To The Nigerian ‘local Dog’ by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 02, 2019
doglover24:
Thank you! It was very interesting coming up with the article. You can find more like it at wooflinepets.com

cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos From A Ram Fighting Event In Lagos / Man Frantically Runs Into His Burning Home To Save His Dog In California(Photos) / Dogs In Nairobi Banned From Having Sex In Public.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.