Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? (13658 Views)

In Terms Of Employment: Good Grade Vs Age / Good Grade Still Matters, Work Hard For It / How I Got A Job In This RECESSION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by aumeehn: 3:15pm On Feb 22, 2017
Engrmustyboss come o!
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Celsony: 3:19pm On Feb 22, 2017
It can definitely give u a job, becos it provide u with platform to reach the level in which u will be able to apply for a certain position in an organization.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Feb 22, 2017
From the question "Can good grade fetch you a job in Nigeria? "
YES, it can!
But is never a guaranteed condition.
Depends on God's time and your hard work

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by samuelson06(m): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
Benita27:
A third class graduate in Nigeria with a job of above 100k monthly could only be come by by "man know man" or "God's grace" else, the kind suffer wey you go suffer to get reasonable job eeh!. grin

Even the 2.1 graduates are finding it difficult to secure jobs. In a nutshell, grade matters inasmuch as we do more of favouritism in this part of the world.

Yes. Only by His grace. We leave Him, we fall.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by chuggy(m): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
Whether 1st class or pass, good grades give confidence. Graduating with a good grade is hard-work and it is really worth it.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2017
samuelson06:

Yes. Only by His grace. We leave Him, we fall.
You still concured to my earlier submission. grin
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 22, 2017
AntiWailer:
Yes.

When the minimum is 2-1 nobody will hear you out with ur 2-2.

To keep it very simple.
Exactly why I'm struggling hard to come out with a strong 2-1 next year, so that I can get a lucrative work without connection.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by overtlyderanged: 3:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
It may not guarantee a job (maybe due to a person not interviewing well or some other reason) but it does give you an edge, at least in entry level positions.

Seeing job ads where employers restrict application to graduates within a certain grade range is indicative enough of that.

Another thing is, when you have applicants for an entry level position who have little to no experience, or unrelated experience for that position, in a situation where all things are equal (i.e both have solid interviewing skills, etc), who do you think gets the upper hand? That's right, the person with a better grade.

Although there's a strong debate about the link between good grades and intelligence, you can't really argue that finishing with an excellent result doesn't depict hard work and dedication (of course there are exceptions to this, especially in Nigerian universities), which are excellent qualities for any job.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by 1wolex85: 3:50pm On Feb 22, 2017
pcguru1:

100% Wrong, Cramming is just Garbage in garbage out (Data without processing) A Data is useless if information cannot be interpreted from it, if you don't understand it then it's a problem once you understand the underlying foundation of anything you won't need to cram infact you will find it easier to expland upon such knowledge, in the Software Dev field you need to understand what you are doing and why rather than just pouring out what you took in, doesn't work in the real world.

Wait, do you think someone who keeps cramming will not understand at a point?
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 4:35pm On Feb 22, 2017
definitely not guaranteed, but u ll have a slight edge over 2:2 nd 3rd class graduate.. but with connection u dont even have to be a graduate
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Teenaira: 4:43pm On Feb 22, 2017
ajalawole:
If buhari can become president with his JSS3 certificatesad
my brother, all things are possible to him that believecheesy

JSS3 ? How sure are u ?
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Alexk2(m): 4:44pm On Feb 22, 2017
aumeehn:
davide470 Alexk2 importexpert Youngmodulus lalasticlala poisonedone

I'm not good at writing so i will try and summarize my post.

I was having a conversation with my brother who is studying Electrical engineering in one of the federal universities in the country. He keep on saying that Good grades at school guarantees a Job, there is this neighbor of ours that have been unemployed since 2015 after graduating from School but my brother said the guy graduated with 2.2 that's why he is unemployed! i know that it's good to graduate with good grades but i dont believe 1st class or 2.1 can fetch you a job in this country.

Gurus in the house does 2.1 or 1st class guarantees a good job in this country?

Yes, good grades does go a long way but definitely not always.....so, this is the advice I have;
If you're in school, study hard as though only good grades will guarantee a smart and good job in record time after graduation...but if you're a graduate already, please just forget your grade; you need more than that. To some people, all they need is favour(some call it connection undecided); to some it's to start small and climb the ladder, to some owning a business is the solution; to some it's to discover/rediscover talent like that guy; to some, it'll be time to go back to school for masters with the hope of a better chance thereafter. In all, if you're not just lazy you'll find your place.
So if you're in school don't play with your books with an excuse that grade is immaterial and if you're a graduate, never write yourself off cos of your poor grade; with that your grade, you can still be all you ever want to be.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
1wolex85:

Wait, do you think someone who keeps cramming will not understand at a point?

Nope cramming and understanding are two different things, cramming means storing the data, understanding means processing and extracting information from the Data.

If my organization told me to get data for customer spending's over the last 20 years, and i just gave them the data, they will sack me, but if i analyzed it and gave them a report they will grasp it easily without consuming the data much. which is why students fail, cramming takes so much space compared to understanding. Although courses like Law and Biology are a different thing when it comes to exams Cramming is needed there.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by chukzonwa(m): 4:56pm On Feb 22, 2017
Educliq Tutors are group of private/home lesson teachers in Nigeria (all states) , we are devoted to discharge of education services to our prospective clients.

We are recruiting

Job Title: Home/Private Tutors/school teachers/adult tutors/trainers for smes
(as long as you impact knowledge in exchange for your money)

Locations: all states in nigeria

Apply through our website as a tutor : www.educliq.com
whatsapp: 08036362133
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Halo22: 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2017
Well it can....but not always true. My cousin graduated with 2.1 and yet spent about 7 years before getting a good job. Though he studied women course.....Mass comm.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by farouk0403(m): 5:08pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ekakamba:
Yes! + how well you defended it in an oral and practical interview! I'm a living testimony. I got a job while serving. Mind you good grade can only epp you get a job in private organizations not gidan gwapnati.

My grade? 3rd class lower!
tongue

grade doesn't matter in government work, be it federal or state.
dama private work din yake nufi ai.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by ajalawole(m): 5:10pm On Feb 22, 2017
Teenaira:

JSS3 ? How sure are u ?
sadwhere is buhari certificate.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Ekakamba: 5:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
farouk0403:

grade doesn't matter in government work, be it federal or state.
dama private work din yake nufi ai.
La'ila! Ai ban shina ba ai. Toh! Duk da haka babu shaka mutumi'na.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by farouk0403(m): 5:32pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ekakamba:
La'ila! Ai ban shina ba ai. Toh! Duk da haka babu shaka mutumi'na.
hmm daga sokoto kake koh Koh? you sound like them?
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by ephi123(f): 5:58pm On Feb 22, 2017
Luukasz:
You may go far in some aspect but u cant go as far as muhammed alli, malcom x, steve jobs et al who didn't even finish school not to talk of havn a good grade. We've laid to much emphasis on academics,certificate and good grades in NG and stil it aint gettin us anywhere. I wont stop sayn it academics has in no way added to the growth and development of Nigeria but instead it has givn birth to sets of people with no creativity nor innovation at all. Our Judiciary system is zero yet we av law as a course in our uni's,political system zero yet there's pol science also i can go on and on but i dont av time for being a nonentity to the society.

For each Steve jobs, Malcolm x etc, do you know how many people are languishing in a sub-par life because they have no education. It's easy to point at those that managed to make it, but they are not the norm, they are the exceptions otherwise the US would have banned high / grad school education.

The fact that you have a good grade does not imply zero creativity or innovation. Our educational system is far from perfect but those who excel in life will excel.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by 1wolex85: 6:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
pcguru1:

Nope cramming and understanding are two different things, cramming means storing the data, understanding means processing and extracting information from the Data.

If my organization told me to get data for customer spending's over the last 20 years, and i just gave them the data, they will sack me, but if i analyzed it and gave them a report they will grasp it easily without consuming the data much. which is why students fail, cramming takes so much space compared to understanding. Although courses like Law and Biology are a different thing when it comes to exams Cramming is needed there.

Ok, no need to argue. It's people that didn't finish with first class or anywhere near it that always have a need to ridicule it.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Maj196(m): 6:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
Not in Nigeria though, connection is very vital here.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by gabby280(m): 6:55pm On Feb 22, 2017
I have second class upper in mechanical engineering with cognates experience in maintenance and services, field support, fabrication, installations, overhauling of diesel engines. Still am still at home hoping on God mercy to feed even those interviews that I did well plus medicals, documentations, and every other things. So my dear it is luck and connection plus God irrespective of your grades
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by noziz(m): 7:03pm On Feb 22, 2017
o boy u too dey lie o e good for ur eye? y u sey na ur neighbour, talk truth for once grin
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by mrphysics(m): 7:07pm On Feb 22, 2017
pocohantas:
Yes it can.
Don't let anyone deceive you.
It creates opportunities for you, if you can defend the grade...you would definitely go far.
Are you serious? it has not done anything for anyone
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Luukasz(m): 7:47pm On Feb 22, 2017
ephi123:
"Those who will excel in life will excel"
Now U've spoken those who will,will. Even it all has different lvls but the fact stil remains the dropouts with no certs or grades whatever if,if and only if they are focused,determined and go after their dreams they do achieve greater feats of success than their fellows with certs. Aint condemnin certs cos i av mine too but sometimes when i look back i say to myself perhaps if i had gone after my dreams & shove school aside perhaps i would av been more successful than i am right now.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Studentcosmos(m): 7:48pm On Feb 22, 2017
5.0 Reasons a first class Honour Doesn't guarantee you success in future. www.studentcosmos.com/5-0-reasons-a-first-class-honour-doesnt-guarantee-you-success-in-future/
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by ephi123(f): 7:50pm On Feb 22, 2017
Luukasz:
Now U've spoken those who will,will. Even it all has different lvls but the fact stil remains the dropouts with no certs or grades whatever if,if and only if they are focused,determined and go after their dreams they do achieve greater feats of success than their fellows with certs. Aint condemnin certs cos i av mine too but sometimes when i look back i say to myself perhaps if i had gone after my dreams & shove school aside perhaps i would av been more successful than i am right now.

I see your point. But the truth is it's never too late to go after your dreams, and it also doesn't mean school and your dreams are incompatible.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 22, 2017
My question now is, what is poor grade?
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Ugosample(m): 9:11pm On Feb 22, 2017
amoduokoh:
My question now is, what is poor grade?

Good question
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by irewoleola(m): 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
Not anymore. I ran an interview last month when the HR came to address us and said 2.1 and masters degree should step aside.

People with recommendation letters or notes are asked to go in for the interview first.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 23, 2017
Benita27:
Try seeking for a job with a third class. Only then will you be able to answer this your question.

Don't let those who believe education doesn't matter deceive you.
is only in Nigeria DAT all so called 1st class are automated slaves

Always lookin for who to work for and get paid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-power Batch C: Deployment/physical Verification Will Be Communicated Via Email / Most Dangerous Jobs In Nigeria / Police Recruitment: 925 Names Smuggled Into Constable List - PSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.