Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,413 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:04 PM

Any Nigerian In Japan - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Nigerian In Japan (4947 Views)

Ikenna Nweke: I Declined 10% Of Money I Found In Japan / G20 Summit: Donald Trump's Motorcade Vs Vladimir Putin's Motorcade In Japan / Any Nigerian In Kigali, Rwanda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Nigerian In Japan by UrennaNkoli(f): 8:54am On Feb 23, 2017
What's it like to live in this lovely country . How have you fared so far ?
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:18pm On Jun 02, 2017
Few yrs ago, I wrote about it on a thread here, here is a copy as paste

i was living in Tokyo and life over there is no different than anywhere else around the civilized world. the language barrier might be a little troubling at first but then if you start to speak it then it will get much easier for you.
jobwise: if you dont speak japanese, you will have to probably find an english speaking firm that deals exclusively with the US (very hard to find) or work in a bar/club that caters exclusively for a foreign crowd(roppongi).
if you havent got a valid working visa, dont expect finding a well paid decent job.
Foreigners are well respected in Japan (blacks included) there are few odds of people who might not want to deal with a black man but that would probably be because of the foreigners that have been over there and made a fool out of themselves and the rest of us.
japanese are very respectful people, have good manners and as long as you come correct, people will mostly treat you the same way.

there are a bunch of nigerians in Tokyo and a great deal will be found working in Roppongi, the "foreigners playground". there are many Nigerian/Ghanians owned businesses over there from clubs/bars to restaurant.
be ready to be blown away by how amazing this country is.
as for the small bits and pieces:
- you always have to take off your shoes when going inside a home
- bowing when greeting someone is advised
- if you are lost, just ask anyone around and they will gladly help.
- wherever you eat, you will be given a warm cloth before the meal (oshibori). you should always use it to clean your hands (even if you just clean them) but never let it touch your face.
- if you like to eat fruits and vegetables at home, be ready to spend an incredible amount for that privilege in japan.
- japanese cannot pronounce the letter R and some form of L when speaking english.
yes you are absolutely right, and being late is seen as a lack of respect(even in dates).

here are some more
- when taking the subway in the morning, you will see a majority of the people sleeping in their seat and like an alarm clock, they always wake up just before their stops.
- japanese work very hard so if you are a lazy person, you wont make it compare to the locals.
- in the office, even if your finish time is 5pm, workers dont normally go home until 1)the job is done 2) the manager is gone
- japanese take work very seriously and their job is their biggest asset before their wife/children etc
- losing their job is like the end of the world for some and thats why many commit suicide when they do.
- the reason japanese dont often go on holidays from their work is because they are afraid that the person replacing them is going to outshine them at their duties.
- if you like your women to be open minded about their feeling then you btter find a japanese girl that was born and lived most of her life abroad
- japanese women do not shave and some are VERY hairy down there (japanese men love hairy women).
- japanese cant handle alcohol. they either drink a lot or dont drink at all. there is no middle way
- going to a karaoke is very common in Japan
- going to a hostess/strip club to conclude a business deal is very common in Japan
- doing business in Japan, you always have to have a business card and thats the first thing you give when meeting a prospective business partner.
- in the bedroom dont expect women to be very open minded and sexually freaky. even if they are, they are very shy and it takes time for them to let go.
- you dont often see fat people in Japan
- it is completely normal in Japan to see a grown man in the subway reading a comic book
- taking the subway on sunday can be worst than during the peak hour of the weekdays because all japanese go out with their families during the weekends
- japanese men rarely see their children because most leave home very early in the morning and never return before very late at night
- going to a karaoke/hostess club with your colleagues after work is part of life in Japan and most workers go at least twice a week
- you might make a lot of japanese friends but dont expect them to invite you home anytime soon
- dont expect to have a 100sqm flat in japan, for 1000$ per month, you are lucky if you get a 50sqm flat(rent in Japan is one of the most expensive in the world after Moscow)
- there is a good subway and train connection in Japan so living 1hr outside Tokyo is considered the norm to some.
- japanese are some of the biggest perverts in the world, its not unusual to see vending machine for used school girl underwear sealed in plastic bag to keep their "freshness" AND men stand in front of the machine choosing which one to buy with absolutely no shame!
- its a known fact that many shcool girl sell their used underwear to make extra money, they wear it for 3 days non stop and then sell them to the various shops who will ask the girl to take it off in front of them, then they will put it in a sealed bag, write the girls name on it and even some will have a photo of the girl to prove it,
- going to a love hotel with a girl is considered normal in Japan as most unmarried people still live with their parents
- most japanese dont leave home until they are married
- its not unusual to meet a japanese girl that look 17yrs old but in fact is well into her mid 30s
- in Japan, they recycle everything so if you dont separate your trash, they will bring it back to your front door(they did with me anyway).
- if you get arrested for any minor crime in Japan, as a foreigner they usually throw you in jail for 21 days.

https://www.nairaland.com/290824/anyone-living-japan-urgent

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by Afam4eva(m): 10:26pm On Jun 02, 2017
@MrBrownjay1
That's really comprehensive and impressive. I feel like i know Japan without ever being there. I'll love to visit Tokyo someday. it looks like a city built with an animation software.

@UrennaNoli
Tell us about your experience.

2 Likes

Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
Afam4eva:
@MrBrownjay1
That's really comprehensive and impressive. I feel like i know Japan without ever being there. I'll love to visit Tokyo someday. it looks like a city built with an animation software.

@UrennaNoli
Tell us about your experience.

Japan/Tokyo is an amazing city and everyone should discover their fascinating way of life and culture.
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by Love12345123456: 3:23pm On Jun 03, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Japan/Tokyo is an amazing city and everyone should discover their fascinating way of life and culture.
Mr brown please how's the visa processing and documents for someone attending conference in Japan and if Japan refuses you visa will they stamp your passport indicating you applied like UK does?
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by jayriginal: 4:48am On Jun 04, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Very nice write up there.
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by maestrojay(m): 2:08pm On Jun 11, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Pls are foreign students with students visa status allowed to work in japan??.. thanks
I wanna pursue an MA degree in japan
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by Beaufull(f): 1:18am On May 17, 2019
Hello please how do i apply for student and work visa in japan
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by peacefull(f): 8:00pm On May 17, 2019
Beaufull:
Hello please how do i apply for student and work visa in japan

Hello, this Travel section have another Topic about Japan. I hope that Topic can help you.
I'm sorry, I still don't know how to put link on here embarassed
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by Beaufull(f): 4:30pm On May 23, 2019
peacefull:

Hello, this Travel section have another Topic about Japan. I hope that Topic can help you.
I'm sorry, I still don't know how to put link on here embarassed
Can you please send your email or number so i can contact you
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by Avedonn: 3:07pm On Jul 02, 2023
Beaufull:
Can you please send your email or number so i can contact you
Hi, are you still in Japan?
Please what are the interview process for a work visa?
Because I understand you said you applied on line.
Was it through Borderlink?
Re: Any Nigerian In Japan by blackbriar: 4:19am On Jul 03, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
Few yrs ago, I wrote about it on a thread here, here is a copy as paste

i was living in Tokyo and life over there is no different than anywhere else around the civilized world. the language barrier might be a little troubling at first but then if you start to speak it then it will get much easier for you.
jobwise: if you dont speak japanese, you will have to probably find an english speaking firm that deals exclusively with the US (very hard to find) or work in a bar/club that caters exclusively for a foreign crowd(roppongi).
This incorrect. There is the English teaching jobs and factory jobs
if you havent got a valid working visa, dont expect finding a well paid decent job.
No Work Visa, No work
Foreigners are well respected in Japan (blacks included) This is in correct, Japnaese are suspicious of all foreigners. Japanese are very very scred of Blacks especially Africans, and would keep their distance.
there are few odds of people who might not want to deal with a black man but that would probably be because of the foreigners that have been over there and made a fool out of themselves and the rest of us.
japanese are very respectful people, have good manners and as long as you come correct, people will mostly treat you the same way.
Japanese are also human beings, they are bullies, liars, cheaters etc.

there are a bunch of nigerians in Tokyo and a great deal will be found working in Roppongi, the "foreigners playground". there are many Nigerian/Ghanians owned businesses over there from clubs/bars to restaurant.
be ready to be blown away by how amazing this country is.
as for the small bits and pieces:
- you always have to take off your shoes when going inside a home
- bowing when greeting someone is advised
- if you are lost, just ask anyone around and they will gladly help.
- wherever you eat, you will be given a warm cloth before the meal (oshibori). you should always use it to clean your hands (even if you just clean them) but never let it touch your face. not everywheere, but mostly in traditional japanese establishments
- if you like to eat fruits and vegetables at home, be ready to spend an incredible amount for that privilege in japan. Bananas are the chepest fruits in Japan
- japanese cannot pronounce the letter R and some form of L when speaking english.
yes you are absolutely right, and being late is seen as a lack of respect(even in dates).

here are some more
- when taking the subway in the morning, you will see a majority of the people sleeping in their seat and like an alarm clock, they always wake up just before their stops.
- japanese work very hard so if you are a lazy person, you wont make it compare to the locals. work very hard, or gibve the impression of working very hard?
- in the office, even if your finish time is 5pm, workers dont normally go home until 1)the job is done 2) the manager is gone This in incorrect, Such companies are known as black companies. Although you can stay after 5pm for overtime work at your discretion.
- japanese take work very seriously and their job is their biggest asset before their wife/children etc becuase work is their only source of income
- losing their job is like the end of the world for some and thats why many commit suicide when they do. This is no longer true, as japanese now change jobs
- the reason japanese dont often go on holidays from their work is because they are afraid that the person replacing them is going to outshine them at their duties. Please google "Golden Week "& "Silver Week", Also compare the amount of national holidays in japan to naija
- if you like your women to be open minded about their feeling then you btter find a japanese girl that was born and lived most of her life abroad. Speak the language fluently and its gets better
- japanese women do not shave and some are VERY hairy down there (japanese men love hairy women). "How would you know this? You have seen all Japanese women?
- japanese cant handle alcohol. they either drink a lot or dont drink at all. there is no middle way. This is incorrect, Please google "last train and izakaya"
- going to a karaoke is very common in Japan .Because it is a pub
- going to a hostess/strip club to conclude a business deal is very common in Japan. This is very very very incorrect and a big red flag. You mean the booses at Toyota, Sony, Mitsubishi will take their clients to girls bar for multi billion dolar deals? please thereei scorporate white collar world in Japan
- doing business in Japan, you always have to have a business card and thats the first thing you give when meeting a prospective business partner. This is expected of all Salary men
- in the bedroom dont expect women to be very open minded and sexually freaky. even if they are, they are very shy and it takes time for them to let go. This is same for all women of all nations on Earth
- you dont often see fat people in Japan. This is very very very very incorrect. There are several fat popular showtime personnel in Japan, and Yes Japanese food is not healthy.
- it is completely normal in Japan to see a grown man in the subway reading a comic book or a novel , or watching youtube, or sport highlight, or reading office mail
- taking the subway on sunday(not correct) can be worst than during the peak hour of the weekdays because all japanese go out with their families during the weekends They use their cars on weekdays, and they go into country side for weekend hangout
- japanese men rarely see their children because most leave home very early in the morning and never return before very late at night. This is incorrect. Japanese kids get home form scholl by 11pm-12 am, so father not to blaim
- going to a karaoke/hostess club with your colleagues after work is part of life in Japan and most workers go at least twice a week. I think you are confusing a hostess club for a pub. there are very distinct items
- you might make a lot of japanese friends but dont expect them to invite you home anytime soon
- dont expect to have a 100sqm flat in japan, for 1000$ per month, you are lucky if you get a 50sqm flat(rent in Japan is one of the most expensive in the world after Moscow) Tokyo is the cheapest capital city in the world,and you can get a 2 bedrrom apartmernt in tokyo for $1000. the farther away from Tokyo CBD , the more affordable
- there is a good subway and train connection in Japan so living 1hr outside Tokyo is considered the norm to some. This is correct[b][/b]
- japanese are some of the biggest perverts in the world, its not unusual to see vending machine for used school girl underwear sealed in plastic bag to keep their "freshness" AND men stand in front of the machine choosing which one to buy with absolutely no shame! This is not correct, please can mention the location sof these venfding machines?
- its a known fact that many shcool girl sell their used underwear to make extra money, they wear it for 3 days non stop and then sell them to the various shops who will ask the girl to take it off in front of them, then they will put it in a sealed bag, write the girls name on it and even some will have a photo of the girl to prove it,
- going to a love hotel with a girl is considered normal in Japan as most unmarried people still live with their parents. People do it for fun,they also have sex in their bedrroms. Most unmarried people live in their rented apartments($500-$1000). Luckly people live with thie rparents and do not pay rents($500-$1000 saved)
- most japanese dont leave home until they are married. this is so incorrect

- its not unusual to meet a japanese girl that look 17yrs old but in fact is well into her mid 30s. it is easy to distinguish betwwen a 17year old and 30 year old japanese lady
- in Japan, they recycle everything so if you dont separate your trash, they will bring it back to your front door(they did with me anyway).
Recycle everything !!!!!! REALLY. Japan just have a garbage dispoisla system, glasses and cans on Mondays, burnable items on tuesdays, magazines and books on Wednesday etc.
- if you get arrested for any minor crime in Japan, as a foreigner they usually throw you in jail for 21 days.

https://www.nairaland.com/290824/anyone-living-japan-urgent

(1) (Reply)

Moving To Botswana.but Need First Hand Information / Travelling To Nigeria Without A Visa Or Nigerian Passport / Nigeria’s Export Earnings Rise By 10% To $14.4bn In Q1 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.