Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,713 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? (7552 Views)

Lady Takes A Selfie With Her Dogs In The Background. See What They Were Doing. / Biggest Dogs In Nigeria Thread (Photos) / Top Most Dangerous Dogs In Nigeria (beware Of Dogs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2017
From what I've seen, it's quite likely that the number of dogs bred all over the country vastly exceeds the number of people who want those dogs and have the resources to take care of them adequately. What happens to the dogs that breeders can't sell, owners don't want, etc?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Bookiemart01(f): 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2017
We send them to Calabar and make dog soup tongue

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by siegfried99(m): 1:50pm On Feb 23, 2017
Bookiemart01:

Kwakwakwa grin
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by acenazt: 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2017
my guys Edikan,akpan,ekanem And Kponoabasi Na Professors On This Subject Matter,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by MaziOmenuko: 2:37pm On Feb 23, 2017
Lol...funny question. Haven't you seen trucks packing dogs like goats? They are marketed at popular dog markets and they end up as delicacies in various pots.

4 Likes

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 2:40pm On Feb 23, 2017
Seun:
From what I've seen, it's quite likely that the number of dogs bred all over the country vastly exceeds the number of people who want those dogs and have the resources to take care of them adequately. What happens to the dogs that breeders can't sell, owners don't want, etc?
they end up inside our belly
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by blackmantis: 2:50pm On Feb 23, 2017
Any Calabar man can show you practically. grin

6 Likes

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Baroba(m): 2:54pm On Feb 23, 2017
Too many breeders with not enough knowledge, everything is business in Nigeria, have you noticed most folks are always looking for female dogs; even those who have never owned a dog before..

It won't be long before we see Caucasian, Rotts, Ilasa, GSD's scavenging waste dumps in Nigeria.. Keeping and maintaining a dog ( especially foreign breed) does not come cheap..

Anyway, those dogs will either turn stray, die of disease, get killed or eaten.. its that simple.

9 Likes

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 23, 2017
Give away
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by ichommy(m): 4:21pm On Feb 23, 2017
Bookiemart01:

grin

@Seun, It is difficult to recognise Unwanted Dogs. Some Dogs leave their owners House for Days and Return Back.

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Flexherbal(m): 4:32pm On Feb 23, 2017
Bookiemart01:
Hahahahahha!
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2017
Somewhere in Nigeria, someone is looking for how to get this unwanted dogs... abeg make the owners/sellers pack am go calabar, they will welcome him delightfully...

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by jnrbayano(m): 5:55pm On Feb 23, 2017
No such thing as "unwanted dog" to a Calabar man

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 23, 2017
Bookiemart01:
its not funny dude angry

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 23, 2017
Those pple eating dogs,its not fair at all.dogs aint meat :-(.they are special animals used for great things.You eating a dog,are wasting a valuable animal's life. Plz try and stop it.unwanted dogs could be very useful if properly trained,who knows

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by ikombe: 9:31pm On Feb 23, 2017
when calabar people hear u have an unwanted dog grin

Sai Baba in CDQ's voice
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 23, 2017
Anything like unwanted Dogs in Nigeria? When Millions of Nigerians eats dogs.
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by HardMirror(m): 7:22am On Feb 24, 2017
Seun:
I think it makes sense they end up with those willing to turn them to food (calabar, ondo, Angas, people will put them to good use). Better than the millions of dogs america puts to sleep and still costs them a lot to dispose the bodies.

4 Likes

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by HardMirror(m): 7:26am On Feb 24, 2017
Missperfect28:
its not funny dude angry
Why?
But it is funny when chickens, goats, cows, turkeys etc are used for food right?
I don't eat dogs and don't think I can, but meat is meat and the world is not as fair as we want to assume. The reality is Humans feed on animals and dog or goat, all have the "right" to be eaten by us.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by HardMirror(m): 7:34am On Feb 24, 2017
Missperfect28:
Those pple eating dogs,its not fair at all.dogs aint meat :-(.they are special animals used for great things.You eating a dog,are wasting a valuable animal's life. Plz try and stop it.unwanted dogs could be very useful if properly trained,who knows
My dear, don't be ignorant.
Pigs are also VERY intelligent. Even in terms of the use of their sense of smell and trainability. Pigs have done more sophisticated tasks than dogs. The only advantage dogs have over pigs is maintenance of dogs is far more easier.
Let's stop making it look so bad that dogs are eaten. Else we all have to agree no animal deserves to be eaten, then we have to form a commitee to go and explain our resolution with the lions and other carnivores so we stop killing "each other".
Do a google search on the millions of unwanted dogs the United states puts to sleep every year. Imagine that volume of protein going to waste.
That amount of meat would have been better used as fish food so we can raise fish with them and then eat the fishes so people who don't eat dogs can benefit instead of wasting all those tonnes of protein.

I promise you would enjoy reading this article www.livescience.com/39717-are-pigs-as-smart-as-dogs.html

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Chrispal: 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2017
You put them up for adoption. People are willing to take care of them. They may have the resources to take care of them but won't have the mind to spend huge amount of money to purchase them. Most of these costly breeds we crave for here are stray dogs in some countries.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Bookiemart01(f): 7:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
Ok miss cheesy

Missperfect28:
its not funny dude angry
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Donshegxy10(m): 3:11am On Mar 01, 2017
oga seun nah baba Friday at ilaje bariga be the solution o.
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 01, 2017
Seun please i want to be able to post new topics soon. I've come across many things and events but there is no way of posting.
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by DutchNegro(m): 7:25pm On Apr 06, 2017
Donshegxy10:
oga seun nah baba Friday at ilaje bariga be the solution o.

U sabi person o... I dey suspect u o!
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Donshegxy10(m): 7:09am On Apr 07, 2017
DutchNegro:

U sabi person o... I dey suspect u o!
I am ibile my brother, grew up in that hood.
Re: What Happens To Unwanted Dogs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:10am On Apr 09, 2017
Missperfect28:
Ehen so cows and goats with chicken are the ones meant to serve as food ba
I smell small hypocrisy sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

BOBBY SAXY Dog Tour To South Africa...visited The Breeder Of PINACLE HAVOC / Samoyed Dogs For Sale / Diaries of Tokyo my GSD pup...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.