Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,940 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! (30729 Views)

Underwear Mistakes You Are Making As A Lady / Okechukwu Ozumba: US Arrests Doctor For ‘Sexually Assaulting’ Patients / Yes, You Can Sue Your Doctor For Misdiagnosing You!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by chieveboy(m): 11:32am On Feb 26, 2017
In Nigeria, most nurses will insult and even beat pregnant women during delivery cry

1 Like

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 26, 2017
Very informative. Most medical doctors walk away with this misconducts, just because many patient are ignorance.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Kennitrust(m): 11:35am On Feb 26, 2017
Is there no constitution in Nigeria that limit the absence of a sitting President
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by SirVintageCock: 11:36am On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:
Abi ooo. How can one examine breast lump and not "fo.ndle" the breast? How can you do VE and u try so hard to locate a posteriorly located internal os, or the level of fetal head in relation to the ischial spines and you won't fon.dle the v.agina?

To prove offences like these against your doctor, you will need to have real real and real facts, not rubbish
just look at it damn it and diagnose grin
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 11:37am On Feb 26, 2017
frenchwine:

What the layman calls fondl.ing may actually be a routine step in a comprehensive examination.
Before you feed hungry lawyers with ur hard earned cash in the name of suing your doctor, be sure you are dead cert he did the wrong thing, else you would pay more for damages.
That said, any Doctor who evaluates a patient without a chaperon(e) is on his/her own. That's a mistake I would never make, even if na life and death.
I guess you've never found yourself in a place that is grossly understaffed and very busy at the same time.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 11:38am On Feb 26, 2017
SirVintageCock:
just look at it damn it and diagnose grin
Na to go and install an MRI machine into one's eyes remain be that

1 Like

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by SirVintageCock: 11:40am On Feb 26, 2017
chieveboy:
In Nigeria, most nurses will insult and even beat pregnant women during delivery cry
Very suable case but trust the woman to buy drinks after giving birth to show appreciation for the said beating. Nigerians are so pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by akintom(m): 11:40am On Feb 26, 2017
For the following reasons;

* the way medical records are managed in hospitals,

* the way clinical examination rooms are designed in hospitals,

* the level of enlightenment of most Nigerians on health matters,

It will be as a camel passing through the needle eye, to be a able to establish a criminal case against a medic in Nigeria.

Actionable matter IS as viable as the EVIDENCE(S).

For now, the surest way to escape the avoidable criminal negligence of medics in Nigeria, is continuous health education (Google is the place to start from), and early consultation.

Consulting a medic at the emergency(for cases that started at warning phase) stage of disease, makes you highly susceptible to criminal negligence.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by gretblue: 11:41am On Feb 26, 2017
frenchwine:

Tell them my brother.
And these days, when it comes to examining of female patients, Doctors do request the presence of female Nurses.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by SirVintageCock: 11:41am On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:
Na to go and install an MRI machine into one's eyes remain be that
Exactly. Study like a jackass and you are expected to work like a magician. God pass them
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Ezionye(f): 11:42am On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:
Abi ooo. How can one examine breast lump and not "fo.ndle" the breast? How can you do VE and u try so hard to locate a posteriorly located internal os, or the level of fetal head in relation to the ischial spines and you won't fon.dle the v.agina?

To prove offences like these against your doctor, you will need to have real real and real facts, not rubbish

What of headache and cough? Do they require to f.ondle breast ( mammary glands as they will cal it) to provide prescription too?
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 26, 2017
I can see that most of u commenting here does not know what it takes to sue a doctor who is doing his job that his is trained for. How can u called breast examination fondly? Or vaginal examination an assault? Go and do ur research well before commenting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 11:44am On Feb 26, 2017
SirVintageCock:
Exactly. Study like a jackass and you are expected to work like a magician. God pass them
Sure
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:
I guess you've never found yourself in a place that is grossly understaffed and very busy at the same time.
Chief I have ooo but I wouldnt throwaway my years of training and practice just because I wanna do heroic stuffs.
IN THE HOSPITAL SETTING I honestly wouldn't touch a patient (emergency or not) if my nurse or nurse aide isn't with me. No law compels a doctor to handle every presenting case, I only become responsible for the cases I decide to handle.
When the chips are down, these are the persons who would defend me if things go south. Let's put sentiments aside, the world is looking for the downfall of the doctor as evidenced by the comments on this thread.
For me I've been once bitten, and I would be 'always shy'. grin

4 Likes

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by highwaist: 11:46am On Feb 26, 2017
There is cluses in number one.if patients is ebola. It's dangerous to keep her medical history
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 11:46am On Feb 26, 2017
Ezionye:

What of headache and cough? Do they require to f.ondle breast ( mammary glands as they will cal it) to provide prescription too?
No sane doctor will examine your breast or v.agina on the basis of cough and headache, except of course if you complain of other things related to those regions. Will the patient be so dumb too not to question the doctor about the correlation of her complaints to the areas he wants to examine?
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by profmsboi(m): 11:49am On Feb 26, 2017
frenchwine:
Surely no doctor worth his salt would commit these mistakes.
These are good points.

What do you wanna understand there, is it your handwriting? grin grin
Those who the writing is meant for (paramedics) aren't complaining. tongue

Ahbi... but me too I suppose know weting I want buy/consume first before I buy am na
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by juman(m): 11:49am On Feb 26, 2017
DollarAngel:
Do you mean in Developed and developing countries or in an underdeveloped and lawless country as ours
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 11:51am On Feb 26, 2017
frenchwine:

Chief I have ooo but I wouldnt throwaway my years of training and practice just because I wanna do heroic stuffs.
IN THE HOSPITAL SETTING I honestly wouldn't touch a patient (emergency or not) if my nurse or nurse aide isn't with me.
When the chips are down, these are the persons who would defend me if things go south. Let's put sentiments aside, the world is looking for the downfall of the doctor as evidenced by the comments on this thread.
For me I've been once bitten, and I would be 'always shy'. grin
Well, since you said you've been once bitten, then I totally understand your stance.

As per the world looking for our downfall, it didn't just start today. They only love our service not us per se

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by DoctorAbu(m): 11:51am On Feb 26, 2017
Damian2016:
it is a form of sexual assault and hence a criminal offence. Thanks
Why don't you ask him to define what 'fon.dle' means, as the standard steps in breast or Vaginal examination may appear as handling to the layman?

4 Likes

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 11:54am On Feb 26, 2017
Damian2016:
I laugh in Swahili

1 Like

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Ezionye(f): 11:59am On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:
No sane doctor will examine your breast or v.agina on the basis of cough and headache, except of course if you complain of other things related to those regions. Will the patient be so dumb too not to question the doctor about the correlation of her complaints to the areas he wants to examine?

Err... Well, I dunno sire. I experienced it once dats y I asked and I dint complain of other things related to that region sad, unless he felt from his experience that that region was affected . I dint ask cos I felt he knew wat he was doing, like general body examination to determine other ' causes' and 'effects' . Lol

Well that was a long time ago. Saw d topic and decided to ask
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 26, 2017
profmsboi:

Ahbi... but me too I suppose know weting I want buy/consume first before I buy am na
Trust me if you ask the doctor about his assessment of your condition and his treatment approach, he would tell you. You have a right to know.
I do that all the time even without being asked, no matter how busy the clinic is.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by seguno2: 12:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Great post.
More informative threads like this are needed on the FP.

1 Like

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by PMIcon(m): 12:11pm On Feb 26, 2017
innovate3751:
What about doctors who fundle the breasts and genitals of women on the pretense of carrying out a medical examination
What do you mean by "fundle " and "pretense"?
I get a lot of people saying "I went for another reason entirely and the doctor wants to 'examine' my breast!"

1. Doctors have been sued or queried for failing to detect breast cancer (which is usually painless and looks insignificant at early stages) because they did not conduct a full physical examination to detect things more serious than patients present with (common).

2. You have the right to REFUSE the examination but Doctors are trained to look out for things you won't bother about but can destroy you or your career. So they have the right to REQUEST to perform a full examination WITH A CHAPERONE (a witness sort of) standing by.

3. If I am the doctor and you refuse, no problem. I'll just DOCUMENT IT: "Requested to conduct X or Y examination, reason provided but patient declined."

SIMPLE.NO FIGHT AND NO NEED TO ABUSE THE DOCTOR.
IF ANYTHING HAPPENS IN FUTURE THE DOCTOR WILL BE COVERED.

* Damian2016 please take note

2 Likes

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by worlexy(m): 12:11pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ezionye:

Err... Well, I dunno sire. I experienced it once dats y I asked and I dint complain of other things related to that region sad, unless he felt from his experience that that region was affected . I dint ask cos I felt he knew wat he was doing, like general body examination to determine other ' causes' and 'effects' . Lol

Well, if the guy is actually a genuine doctor, he took advantage of you to satisfy his lust. Such a doctor deserved to be sued if truly you didn't complain of other things besides the headache and cough. But even if you complained of symptoms relating to those places, you still have the right to say you don't want him to examine you and he can't force you. it's your right to either accept or decline treatment, examination and investigations or anything your doctor offers you
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Ronaldinnioh(m): 12:12pm On Feb 26, 2017
highrise07:
Nigeria is full of half baked , semi baked , un baked doctors.

When a fool talks.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by AreaFada2: 12:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
Damian2016:
This is not always easy to decide. Some people are more tactile than others. Others need to do more thoroughly to get the full picture others less.
I think you should emphasize the importance of a chaperone during physical exams.

I would have thought that your first 4 points should be known to every educated adult already.

The 5th about prompt referral is more complex. Especially in a place like Nigeria where many families have money issues.

Assuming a patient is admitted with a neurological problem and your facility has no MRI/CT scan for best imaging and you want to refer them to another with better expertise but more cost. They cannot go because of money & patient suddenly takes a turn for the worse, whose fault is it then?

What I mean is that some situations may not be so clear-cut.

Anyway, I'm not that familiar with Nigerian system. To remedy things (if indeed some colleagues are so unscrupulous as you claim),
proper ethical training should begin on day one in med school. It is as important as clinical training.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by ikbnice(m): 12:33pm On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:

hope the patient be informed beforehand as to what the examination will entail
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

When a fool talks.
your father is a fool.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by sainty2k3(m): 12:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
worlexy:
Well, if the guy is actually a genuine doctor, he took advantage of you to satisfy his lust. Such a doctor deserved to be sued if truly you didn't complain of other things besides the headache and cough. But even if you complained of symptoms relating to those places, you still have the right to say you don't want him to examine you and he can't force you. it's your right to either accept or decline treatment, examination and investigations or anything your doctor offers you

Don't let us assume the Doc is guilty yet. How do u even listen to breath sound, auscultate the heart,, vocal resonance, checking for apex beat and other things involved in chest and CVS examination without 'fondlingg' with the breast. I think the most important thing is to be sure a chaperon is present. And maintain decorum

1 Like

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by DonX001: 12:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ezionye:

Ezionye:

worlexy:
Well, if the guy is actually a genuine doctor, he took advantage of you to satisfy his lust. Such a doctor deserved to be sued if truly you didn't complain of other things besides the headache and cough.
But even if you complained of symptoms relating to those places, you still have the right to say you don't want him to examine you and he can't force you. it's your right to either accept or decline treatment, examination and investigations or anything your doctor offers you

@Worlexy, I beg to disagree a bit Sir, on the bolded part.
For the purpose of enlightening the young lady (Ezionye) and others, I'll explain.

It really depends on the doctors clinical acumen and his clinical diagnosis.

You may examine areas that are apparently totally unrelated to the complaints, if you feel they may help your diagnosis.

For example, if someone comes complaining of ONLY headache or dizziness or change in vision, you may examine the breasts for milky discharge that may suggest a prolactinoma. (a type of brain tumor).

If someone complains of cough, you may examine the breasts to check for a lump, that may be metastatic breast cancer.

In both examples above, you could actually be sued for negligence if you did not examine the breasts and it turns out to be the key to diagnosing the problem.
Despite the fact that the patient has NO breast complaints whatsoever when coming to you.

As a real life example, I've had a patient come with just cough and difficulty in breathing due to a pleural effusion, and the cause turned out to be a very small breast lump (breast cancer) which was not noticed by the patient, her husband, or previous doctors. (The woman had large breasts, and she was a young woman o). She had absolutely NO BREAST COMPLAINTS.

So its possible for a doctor to wish to examine the breasts or vagina for seemingly totally unrelated complaints, it depends on what he is thinking about as his diagnosis.
If the patient declines, he just documents it, and is covered.

I had to clarify this, so that some poorly informed patients will not go around and start calling a doctor a quack because he requested to examine their breasts, when their complaints appear totally unrelated to those areas.

Besides, as a doctor, we are taught in medical school to do a full body examination as the standard, as that has saved lives in many cases by picking up things in the early stages that the patient might not have noticed, whether or not they are related to the patient's primary complaints.
Its just the practical constraints of time and a busy clinic that prevent most people from doing this.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My HIV Test Result - Farside / Pile (homorrhoids) Is Dealing With Me, Please Help / Man To Hold Thanksgiving After Doctor Mistakenly Cut Off His Intestine. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.