Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names (47109 Views)

Aerial Photos of some areas in Anambra State / Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa / Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Noneroone(m): 10:21pm On Feb 25, 2017
Who is the op decieving

names of most popular places in lagos have edo origin. All those names that start idu... clearly shows history of Benin ownership and even oshodi
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by akeensbussy(m): 10:29pm On Feb 25, 2017
Ikeja is own na lie......

Ikeja was coined out of A town called Akeja in Ota, Ogun State. Ikeja was formally called Akeja but because strangers who later settle around that side could not pronounce the name "Akeja" now started pronouncing Ikeja.

Till today, when you come to Ota, you will see a place there called Akeja and they are the heirs to the throne in IKeja.

If u doubt this, go and do your findings very well.

am currently living at Akeja, Ota. Majority of the kings and Bales in Lagos are from Ota including Elegusi and that is their lineage home.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by senitorspeaker(m): 10:31pm On Feb 25, 2017
Bros where oshodi, palm grove, cele, infact SURULERE beat all in popularity u listed above
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Dareomo(m): 10:39pm On Feb 25, 2017
Very infomative. Good one.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Odingo1: 10:45pm On Feb 25, 2017
[/b]The original inhabitants of Lagos are the Egun,Ijaw and Aworis[b].people just twisting facts to give it Yoruba origin,that was why Dahomey women came and enslave Lagos and Benin empire salvage it,while British hijacked it from Binis which gave the migrant Yorubas upper hand to manipulate it and gave it Yoruba names before the independence.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by GuyFawkes: 10:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
Noneroone:
Who is the op decieving

names of most popular places in lagos have edo origin. All those names that start idu... clearly shows history of Benin ownership and even oshodi

Oshodi is Nupe (tapa). Nothing Benin about that.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by GuyFawkes: 10:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
akeensbussy:

Ikeja was coined out of A town called Akeja in Ota, Ogun State. Ikeja was formally called Akeja but because strangers who later settle around that side could not pronounce the name "Akeja" now started pronouncing Ikeja.

Till today, when you come to Ota, you will see a place there called Akeja and they are the heirs to the throne in IKeja.

am currently living at Akeja, Ota. Majority of the kings and Bales in Lagos are from Ota including Elegusi and that is their lineage home.

FALSE
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by delpee(f): 10:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
Anyone who wants to understand the origin of Old Lagos should read the history of the Aworis who are descendants of Oduduwa.

During the time of the British, there was Lagos Colony comprising the Island, Ikoyi, VI and Yaba. Ikeja, Mushin, Ilupeju etc upwards were all part of the Western Region. Thus all the Industrial Estates, GRAs etc were planned/owned by the old Western Region.

#BringBackHistoryToOurSchools

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 10:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
Funny people.
The only people that can be officially traced as the original dwellers of Lagos are the Edos.

Some people keep trying vigorously to deceive history Mscheww..... undecided
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Nedsnow(m): 11:10pm On Feb 25, 2017
felixomor:
Funny people.
The only people that can be officially traced as the original dwellers of Lagos are the Edos.

Mtchew. See as i just dey look your comment like say make i dey your side just dey flog you. Y una edo people just like dey claim wetin no relate to una. Na how una reach Lagos self. Or u wan tell me say all those states sharing borders with Lagos were also Edo before dem steal am abi?
Na so una talk say na una language be Oba say na Yoruba thief am from una. Una no just dey think before una talk at all? Ahh!! Oga gan lara yin o

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by femolii: 11:24pm On Feb 25, 2017
close ur dirty mouth name can look alike yorubas hv oba benin have the name too that does t mean benin is owner of that name.tell me where benins occupy in lagos. the name port harcourt is name of a white man does t mean port harcourt belong to that man idiot benin have no culture in lagos nothing. all d oba in lagos no one come from benin ask ur self why.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by bilulu(m): 11:42pm On Feb 25, 2017
masseratti:
we all know that,goan sit down abeg,
if u no dat already it therefore shows dat Lagos belongs to d binis
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Nobody: 11:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
wondering how Oyingbo got its own name.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 11:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
Nedsnow:

Mtchew. See as i just dey look your comment like say make i dey your side just dey flog you. Y una edo people just like dey claim wetin no relate to una. Na how una reach Lagos self. Or u wan tell me say all those states sharing borders with Lagos were also Edo before dem steal am abi?
Na so una talk say na una language be Oba say na Yoruba thief am from una. Una no just dey think before una talk at all? Ahh!! Oga gan lara yin o

Abeg tell us the meaning of "Lagos* in yoruba.
Or the name came with Oduduwa from "saudi arabia" abi?
I am waiting....
If u no fit, abeg first flog yourself o.....
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by bakynes(m): 11:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
felixomor:
Funny people.

So because the Oba of Bini Kingdom which was a very powerful empire in the old days ceased Lagos now means it belongs to Bini or Edo people. The Oba of Bini ceased Lagos not the Bini people and there were people there( the Aworis) before it was ceased. When the British ruled they returned power back to the Awori king so how do u guys own Lagos. Or is it because we decided to maintain the name "Eko" thats wat is making u think you own Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Evinsco(m): 11:55pm On Feb 25, 2017
AyamConfidence:
who be this one sef Shey na you I dey follow talk

guy Bleep off and stop embarrasing ya sef
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 11:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
bakynes:

So because the Oba of Bini Kingdom which was a very powerful empire in the old days ceased Lagos now means it belongs to Bini or Edo people. The Oba of Bini ceased Lagos not the Bini people and there were people there( the Aworis) before it was ceased. When the British ruled they returned power back to the Awori king so how do u guys own Lagos. Or is it because we decided to maintain the name "Eko" thats wat is making u think you own Lagos.

Brother, its not a Political debate.
Its recorded in the most authentic of history sources...
No need to argue much.

[url]theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace[/url]
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by bakynes(m): 11:57pm On Feb 25, 2017
felixomor:

Abeg tell us the meaning of "Lagos* in yoruba.
Or the name came with Oduduwa from "saudi arabia" abi?
I am waiting....
If u no fit, abeg first flog yourself o.....
My friend Lagos is a Portuguese word. And Edo or Bini people do not own Lagos. The Awori, ijebu and Egba people all Yoruba clans owns lagos.Lagos was only a colony under the rule of Oba of Bini just like Alexandria in Egypt was ruled by Mark Anthony of Rome doesn't mean Egypt is a Roman land.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 11:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
bakynes:

My friend Lagos is a Portuguese word. And Edo or Bini people do not own Lagos. The Awori, ijebu and Egba people all Yoruba clans owns lagos.Lagos was only a colony under the rule of Oba of Bini just like Alexandria in Egypt was ruled by Mark Anthony of Rome doesn't mean Egypt is a Roman land.

Lagos is a Portuguese word.
So who were the people who brought portugeese to nigeria?
I am sure your history will die here now.... grin
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 12:02am On Feb 26, 2017
bakynes:

It was only a colony.
Please tell us when the date of the colonization took place?
At least the date alexander conquered egypt was recorded.

Besides your song is beginning to change tune fron the one u were singing at first.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by bakynes(m): 12:05am On Feb 26, 2017
felixomor:

Brother, its not a Political debate.
Its recorded in the most authentic of history sources...
No need to argue much.

[url]theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace[/url]

It doesn't even say anything about Lagos.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by bakynes(m): 12:10am On Feb 26, 2017
felixomor:

It was only a colony.
Please tell us when the date of the colonization took place?
At least the date alexander conquered egypt was recorded.

Besides your song is beginning to change tune fron the one u were singing at first.
What song is changing, don't you know how powerful empires establish colonies every where they conquer. The romans conquered the Anglo-saxons and named their land Britannia( present day Britain) but Britannia was never occupied by Romans it was just a colony under the rule of a military Governor appointed by the Emperor of Rome. Likewise is Lagos an all powerful Bini empire established it's authority over the settlement called Lagos named it Eko" but the people of that area were Aworis a village of fishermen.

What is so difficult for ur brain to understand there.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by bakynes(m): 12:15am On Feb 26, 2017
felixomor:

Lagos is a Portuguese word.
So who were the people who brought portugeese to nigeria?
I am sure your history will die here now.... grin
Mumu so to you Bini people travelled to Portugal to invite Portuguese people down to Lagos?

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 12:23am On Feb 26, 2017
bakynes:

Mumu so to you Bini people travelled to Portugal to invite Portuguese people down to Lagos?

U r the mumu here o.....
Only u ignorant,
Only u still insulting... lipsrsealed
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 12:24am On Feb 26, 2017
bakynes:

What song is changing, don't you know how powerful empires establish colonies every where they conquer. The romans conquered the Anglo-saxons and named their land Britannia( present day Britain) but Britannia was never occupied by Romans it was just a colony under the rule of a military Governor appointed by the Emperor of Rome. Likewise is Lagos an all powerful Bini empire established it's authority over the settlement called Lagos named it Eko" but the people of that area were Aworis a village of fishermen.

What is so difficult for ur brain to understand there.

I am still waiting for your official date of the colonization.
U seem to love arguing with assumptions rather than facts.....
It will take u nowhere undecided
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Postboiswag(m): 12:26am On Feb 26, 2017
oju -elegba
eye - cane
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by felixomor: 12:30am On Feb 26, 2017
bakynes:

It doesn't even say anything about Lagos.

https://global.britannica.com/place/Benin-historical-kingdom-West-Africa

I know your google wont work in times like these.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by yom2(m): 12:50am On Feb 26, 2017
realtalk19:

http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/original-meaning-areas-lagos/?geoip&country=GH
realtalk19:

http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/original-meaning-areas-lagos/?geoip&country=GH
let me add d ones i know: (1) maryland; after d construction o f d bridge and d bye pass in d early days there was dis petty trader close to d bridge whos little daughter wondered off to go and peep at d edge of d bridge, as soon as d mother noticed she called out to a young lady around whos name was mary to help caution and secure her daughter. As she shouted in yoruba -' mary bami la ni idi',' mary la ndi', which means 'mary slap her bum bum'. D white man at d construction sight was amused and grabbed d phrase 'maryland' 'maryland'. Eventually d bridge was christined maryland and d whole area became known as maryland. na so i hear 0..

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by deeptechcool(m): 12:54am On Feb 26, 2017
masseratti:
am not sure of the name,but am pretty sure there was no Akeja in that area in 1960.

Okay. I will research more on it. Thanks.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by deeptechcool(m): 1:00am On Feb 26, 2017
akeensbussy:

Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by Lloydfather(m): 2:02am On Feb 26, 2017
ALABA. the first set of Igbo that reside at Alaba area along mile 2 orile was ABA business men they name the place which is the home of electronics then as ALABA which mean in Igbo (ALA ABA) ABA LAND, when they moved to ojo area as new site in the early 80's they adopted the name ALABA for Alaba international, or the Alaba in ojo area which is ojo Alaba.
Re: 10 Most Popular Areas In Lagos And The Origin Of Their Names by oyejideogunjumo: 2:06am On Feb 26, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) / Cynthia Precious Imhansi-Jacob Certified As Pilot By US Flight Academy / Hyena And Magnificent Antelope Spotted At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi. Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.