Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? (5595 Views)

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" / See One Yoruba Word That Has several Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
Is there an archaic word for "grandma' and "grandpa" in Yoruba? or it has always been "iyaiya" and "babababa" I'm asking cuz this doesnt sound as eloquent as I know the Yoruba language to be , so i thought there might be a "ijinle" – Archaic word for both. Thanks!
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Topestbilly(m): 7:38pm On Feb 25, 2017
Iya-agba and Baba-agba grin

4 Likes

Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 25, 2017
Topestbilly:
Iya-agba and Baba-agba grin

lol, i think these words are generally for old babas and mamas...
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 4:58am On Feb 26, 2017
AbdelKabir:
Is there an archaic word for "grandma' and "grandpa" in Yoruba? or it has always been "iyaiya" and "babababa" I'm asking cuz this doesnt sound as eloquent as I know the Yoruba language to be , so i thought there might be a "ijinle" – Archaic word for both. Thanks!

Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by MetaPhysical: 11:35pm On Feb 26, 2017
Grandma in Yoruba is Gogo
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 4:32am On Feb 27, 2017
MetaPhysical:
Grandma in Yoruba is Gogo

gogo? wow! never heard of that before, how is it pronounced?
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 6:54am On Feb 27, 2017
AbdelKabir:

gogo? wow! never heard of that before, how is it pronounced?

Na Ilorin ppl sef dey use am gaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by evergenuine(m): 6:59am On Feb 27, 2017
From my Yoruba dictionary.....

Sayin baba - - grand dad
Sayin mama-- grand mum

Don't ask me for pronunciation..

1 Like

Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 7:30am On Feb 27, 2017
RABIUSHILE04:

lol, you know say i no understand Yoruba wella na, but sincerely never heard it before, how is it pronounced?

i Wonder why I've not heard this before upon all my stay in Ilorin.
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by femi4: 11:08am On Mar 06, 2017
RABIUSHILE04:

And you think those with more than one wife doesn't have mistress? Dey there dey deceive yourself. You are not a woman, you don't understand what having a rival under the same roof means
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 06, 2017
femi4:
And you think those with more than one wife doesn't have mistress? Dey there dey deceive yourself. You are not a woman, you don't understand what having a rival under the same roof means

and why is this on this thread?

1 Like

Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Mar 06, 2017
femi4:

Oya no ves undecided
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 06, 2017
AbdelKabir:

and why is this on this thread?

Na d painMent CUZ am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 9:33pm On Mar 07, 2017
Baba Agba ati Iya Agba.
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Raintaker(m): 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2017
Iyalaya and Baba baba
Gogo is South African
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by lepasharon(f): 3:41am On Mar 16, 2017
grandma- yeye? No?
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 5:51am On Mar 16, 2017
lepasharon:
grandma- yeye? No?

yeye is mother, those from osun use it mostly....
Re: What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? by Nobody: 5:54am On Mar 16, 2017
Raintaker:
Iyalaya and Baba baba
Gogo is South African

Thought as much, cuz i did a little search on the word..... my friend i asked even said, "gogo" is used by the "takpa" speaking people.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian English Not Pidgin English A Myth Or Reality A Foreigner's Perspective / The Indigenous People Of America - Documentary / 5 Good And Bad Things About Nigerian People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.