Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

The Youth Of Today? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Youth Of Today? (1582 Views)

Photos From The Scene Of Today's Riot In Oshodi,Lagos / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic / Look At What PDP Published On Page 5 Of Today's Guardian News Paper. (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 12:38pm On Dec 12, 2009
15 years ago, the current situation in Nigeria wouldn't have been possible.
Where has the energy to resist gone?

[list]
[li]Gani Fawehinmi would have gone to court (with his jail bag packed and ready)[/li]
[li]Students would have rioted and closed down the country, from North to South (the same way they contributed heavily to the "stepping aside" of IBB)[/li]
[li]The labour union would have held rallies all over the country[/li]
[li]Fela would have released several new albums and damned the consequencies[/li]
[li]Balarabe Musa would have screamed blue murder[/li]
[li]The youth would have been out on the streets in every major city[/li]
[/list]

Here are some reasons why?
[list]
[li]The president preferred a "trip" to Saudi Arabia to a UN surmit as a "snub to Obama"[/li]
[li]The president is ill and there is nobody to sign the 2010 budget[/li]
[li]We are stuck with a duff constituition that allows a democracy to run as a dictatorship[/li]
[li]There have been serious government moves to relegate fellow Nigerian abroad to second class status[/li]
[li]Nigeria is an e-commerce pariah in an increasingly connected World[/li]
[li]The police and army kill citizens with impunity[/li]
[li]Visionless 2020 and the 7 pointless agenda[/li]
[li]Half of Nigeria’s annual revenue is spent to maintain the lifestyle of Nigeria’s 18,000 [s]elected public officials http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4444:what-you-must-know-as-a-nigerian-&catid=116:sr-readers-letters&Itemid=393[/li]
[/list]

Nigeria offers the perfect jamboree for thieves and carreer criminals. Yet todays youth are cowardly and don't know the first thing about politics. Rather than solve problems that are within their power to resolve, they pray to God. . . Well, get this, God's ears are blocked to cowardice and stupidity, help yourself and pray only for strength and wisdom.
Nigerian youth are like a new husband that does not know what to do with his wife at night, so asks his pastor to come and intercede. . .

[size=14pt]Take back the country![/size]

Re: The Youth Of Today? by kosovo(m): 2:40pm On Dec 12, 2009
Nigerians always entertain great Hope, but Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by chosen04(f): 4:13pm On Dec 12, 2009
This nigeria still worth fighting for?*****i doubt it****
Re: The Youth Of Today? by mamagee3(f): 8:11pm On Dec 12, 2009
Nigerian Youths are becoming something else. tongue
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 10:24pm On Dec 12, 2009
I read a lot of stuff from some of the younger ones here, they rightly feel that generations before them have laid waste to the country. That is certainly true, but equally true is the fact that the hardest fighters for the common good (female and male), also all belong to the preceding generations. Todays youth are as docile as an overworked donkey.

Where is the fire of youth? Where is the fertile ground for tomorrows revolutionary ideas? Where is the courage that will see through tomorrows change?

The current Nigerian youth has never seen a helicopter flown in anger or witnessed the spine chilling sight of an approaching amoured car column. . . And, bare chested, stood their ground.
That is exactly what needed to be done when there was a coup against the Nigerian people, with the annulment of the June 12 1993 election.
The youth mostly represented by teens and twenty somethings, took to the streets enmasse, despite shoot to kill orders and the rolling out of fearsome military machinery against unarmed civilians.
The country was brought to a complete standstill, sadly 45 lives were lost in Lagos alone, but that action led directly to the easing of the military out of politics and to todays democracy.
All of that was done in an era when fear was an instrument of rulership. Why can't the youth rise today?

The June 12 generation are now an age where they can look back at their time as a teens and twenty somethings with immense pride. Imagine if every generation could fight as hard as the June 12 generation or the independence generation.

Will those of you in their teens and twenties today be as proud as the June 12 generation tomorrow?
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 12, 2009
your fire image means what exactly?

burn everything down?

thats what being a youth means to you?

and for some reason, you feel it's never been done before.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by redsun(m): 10:40pm On Dec 12, 2009
It means burn down babylon.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 10:54pm On Dec 12, 2009
tpia.:

your fire image means what exactly?

burn everything down?

thats what being a youth means to you?

and for some reason, you feel it's never been done before.

Don't preach cowardice.
I feel it has been done before and must be done again and again. Gold is purified by fire, when the dross is removed, what is left is valueless.

redsun:

It means burn down babylon.

Exactly.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 12, 2009
Beaf:

Don't preach cowardice.
I feel it has been done before and must be done again and again. Gold is purified by fire, when the dross is removed, what is left is valueless.

Exactly.

well, light the fire in your LGA then get back to us and let us know how it went.

or you prefer others do it while you monitor things from afar?

Nigerians and lawlessness.

If it means burn down babylon then head to Iraq and burn it down.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 11:01pm On Dec 12, 2009
^
Let the youth reply, my dear. Its their country now, you've done your years anyway (and most likely never threw a single stone at evil in your time).
Re: The Youth Of Today? by redsun(m): 11:11pm On Dec 12, 2009
tpia.:

well, light the fire in your LGA then get back to us and let us know how it went.

or you prefer others do it while you monitor things from afar?

Nigerians and lawlessness.

If it means burn down babylon then head to Iraq and burn it down.

Tpia,how is nigeria better than iraq?Because nigerians don't have the liver to blow themselves yet like the arabs?ehh,nigerians are still yet to understand the hopelessness and needlessness of living in man made bondage.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 12, 2009
Beaf:

^
Let the youth reply, my dear. Its their country now, you've done your years anyway (and most likely never threw a single stone at evil in your time).

i'm not sure what your definition of youth is but i guess the thread is a call for cultists and almajiris, of which nigeria has plenty anywhere you want to name.

and what do you mean by "its their country now"? for your info, foreigners own Nigeria more than you. You've also done your anarchy bit, so move aside and let rational brains rule, if there are any left.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 12, 2009
very deceptive thread title btw.

I actually thought it was about something constructive, forgetting that on NL, people construe youth to mean waywardness.

a generation is lost.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 11:32pm On Dec 12, 2009
tpia.:

i'm not sure what your definition of youth is but i guess the thread is a call for cultists and almajiris, of which nigeria has plenty anywhere you want to name.

and what do you mean by "its their country now"? for your info, foreigners own Nigeria more than you. You've also done your anarchy bit, so move aside and let rational brains rule, if there are any left.

I meant exactly that. The time for old cowards is past. You claim to be 45, so where were you after the annulment of the June 12 election? Hiding?
Abeg, leave the show for the youth to reply. I said this earlier;

I read a lot of stuff from some of the younger ones here, they rightly feel that generations before them have laid waste to the country. That is certainly true. . .

You have nothing to offer. So young people fighting for their future are "cultists and almajiris"? I'm not even going to bother replying your cowardice anymore. Get thee behind me Satan! grin grin grin
Re: The Youth Of Today? by SapeleGuy: 11:35pm On Dec 12, 2009
kosovo:

Nigerians always entertain great Hope, but Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

We must always reference our quotes / works or people will think these words were yours.(Friedrich Nietzsche in your case)

Don't disparage nigerians for hoping, it is the foundation of our future.

"Hope is not blind optimism. It's not ignoring the enormity of the task ahead, or the roadblocks that stand in our path. It's not sitting on the sidelines or shirking from a fight. Hope is that thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us if we have the courage to reach for it, work for it, and fight for it." - Barack Obama
Re: The Youth Of Today? by redsun(m): 11:37pm On Dec 12, 2009
Tpia is illusive.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 12, 2009
Beaf:

I meant exactly that. The time for old cowards is past. You claim to be 45, so where were you after the annulment of the June 12 election? Hiding?
Abeg, leave the show for the youth to reply. I said this earlier;

You have nothing to offer. So young people fighting for their future are "cultists and almajiris"? I'm not even going to bother replying your cowardice anymore. Get thee behind me Satan! grin grin grin

i doubt you see beyond your nose and i'd better leave you to your almajiri fantasies.

if learning to be law abiding is cowardice to you, then i'll let oyibos teach you the essence of order after they ship you away.

there's a reason why US jails are full of young black males from all continents.

Of course they'll encourage you to display your almajiri nature in your own land, but try that mess in oyibo territory and see how far you get.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 11:48pm On Dec 12, 2009
^
---Ignored, get thee behind me Satan! grin---
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 12, 2009
dont ignore nah.

light up babylon wink

satan is guiding you so no need telling him to get behind you when he's already comfortably ensconced in your brain
Re: The Youth Of Today? by redsun(m): 11:51pm On Dec 12, 2009
tpia.:

if learning to be law abiding is cowardice to you.

Do you mean law abiding in nigeria?A country where the attorney general is a plain criminal,you must be joking.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by SapeleGuy: 12:03am On Dec 13, 2009
redsun:

A country where the attorney general is a plain criminal,you must be joking.

Lord Goldsmith, the Attorney General in england campaigned for corruption charges in the british aerospace case and saudi arabia to be dropped. He said anything less would be a 'dereliction of responsibility'.

Two questions:

on what basis / evidence are you inferring the criminality of the attorney general.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by redsun(m): 12:09am On Dec 13, 2009
An attorney general that presides over an outrightly lawless country like nigeria is of course lawless,he is the gang master.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by redsun(m): 12:41am On Dec 13, 2009
It is time to groove,rock on people.

Tpia,u wish u are in england.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 1:46am On Dec 13, 2009
The Wall Street Journal, Shell and several other websites are now carrying a story about Nigeria's unseriousness. There are contracts to sign, but the president is absent. Of course, cowardly Nigerians like Tpia are praying. . .

http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2009/12/12/nigerian-presidents-absence-stymies-foreign-firms/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126058305365988411.html
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Tsiya(m): 1:48am On Dec 13, 2009
You failed to put 20 years ago, the military would have taken over the country.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 1:56am On Dec 13, 2009
Tsiya:

You failed to put 20 years ago, the military would have taken over the country.

Sorry, I don't believe in any of those primitive men in uniform that have only ever taken this country backwards. The present crop of politicians and fu.cked up constituition are their making. Gani and Fela spent most of their lives fighting the army.
Time to get up and fight and not expect anybody else to do it.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Tsiya(m): 2:14am On Dec 13, 2009
I don't fancy military. I remember the hardship during IBB and Abacha regime all the time.

But we cannot avoid to discuss the reality of our history. There is no doubt, if this was 20 years ago, we should be bracing ourselves for the faithful Radio Broadcast from a general.

Fela and Gani fought hard for this democracy, but they have been failed by the beneficiaries of the system that their agitators brought.

It is the duty of every Nigerian, and the Institutions that hold Nigeria together to call for the proper hand over to Goodluck, even if they guy cannot resign. And it is the duty of Institutions that are meant to protect Nigerian society to call for immediate recognition of Mr Jonathan as their commander-in-chief.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by paddylo1(m): 2:15am On Dec 13, 2009
Half of Nigeria’s annual revenue is spent to maintain the lifestyle of Nigeria’s 18,000

beaf stop repeating this falsehood. . .about half bla bla bla

its a lie and u seem educated enough to know better,so i wonder why u still repeat it
Re: The Youth Of Today? by SEFAGO(m): 2:21am On Dec 13, 2009
We are partying in clubs, let us enjoy our lives- is it our fault our leaders are inept?
Re: The Youth Of Today? by paddylo1(m): 2:25am On Dec 13, 2009
ill give u an example. . .Federal govt budget for 2010 is N4.3 trillion

of this amount,approx N127billion was budgeted for the national assembly. . .thats less than 3% or thereabouts

now if u go to the states. . .i will take lagos state for example

they budget,N430bln for 2010

60% is capital projects. .as seen below
The Capital Expenditures Estimate is made up of Core Capital with N209.207 billion, Capital Development N22.804 billion, Matching Grants N5.021 billion, Counterpart Funding N5.246 and Special Expenditure N8.500 billion while Recurrent Expenditure is made up of Total Personnel Cost of N55.079 billion and Total Overhead Cost of N123.739 billion.

while recurrent personnel expenditure is only N55bln. .and this is for all employees of lagos state,not just the elected ones

replicate this among the 36states,and see there is no way that statistic u quote is true

its just a figment of sahara reporters imagination
Re: The Youth Of Today? by Beaf: 2:25am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

beaf stop repeating this falsehood. . .about half bla bla bla

its a lie and u seem educated enough to know better,so i wonder why u still repeat it

I tagged that info with the source link. If you can disprove it credibly, please do so.
Re: The Youth Of Today? by paddylo1(m): 2:27am On Dec 13, 2009
I tagged that info with the source link. If you can disprove it credibly, please do so.
i just did

(1) (2) (Reply)

In One Word, What Is Your Political View / Us: Atiku Abubakar In $40million Money-laundering Accusation With Wife, Jennifer / Lagos Launches Website For Unemployed Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.