Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,459 members, 7,808,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode (826 Views)

Buhari Approved The Release Of National Stadium, Surulere To Lagos State / Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode / Photos Of Armed Policemen At The National Stadium Ahead Of The Planned Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by uniquechukwuma: 6:10pm On Mar 01, 2017
Owing to the deplorable state of the Surulere National Stadium, Governor of Lagos state, Akinwunmi Ambode, has asked the federal government to let the state government take over the sports facility, raise it to world standard, and deploy it for youth empowerment and employment.
He made the request on Wednesday after embarking on an extensive inspection tour of the facilities in the Stadium alongside the Minister of Youth and Sports, Mr. Solomon Dalung, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President, Mr. Amaju Pinnick and other top government functionaries.

Ambode expressed preparedness to hit the ground running towards restoring the old glory of the Stadium once officially handed over to the State.

The Governor, who recalled how enthusiastic and interesting it was for people in the past to visit the Surulere Stadium even with their families to watch matches and catch fun among others, said repositioning the Stadium would not only help to bring about layers of employment but that it would also facilitate family bonding.
“With the state of affairs here, we cannot fold our arms and just leave this monument to just waste away. The last match that was played here was about fifteen years ago but the truth is this, the inner key to youth empowerment and youth employment is actually in re-establishing this edifice to its real world class standard.‎

“What we ask for in Lagos is not as if we are being aggressive, we just think that we need to stand up for leadership here and take over the National Stadium,

“This visit is very historic. I recall that during our campaign, we promised that we are going to use tourism, entertainment and arts and sports to drive youth employment as well as drive excellence. So, this is just one chapter in that roadmap to growing the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Lagos.” the Governor said.
Source: https://www.igodotv.com/2017/03/01/why-we-want-to-take-over-surulere-national-stadium-ambode/

Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by sarrki(m): 6:12pm On Mar 01, 2017
It's because we are able and capable
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by Ajibel(m): 6:12pm On Mar 01, 2017
Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode on Wednesday declared the readiness of the State Government to take over the Surulere National Stadium from the Federal Government and transform the facility from its present deplorable condition to a world class sporting centre.

Speaking after embarking on an extensive inspection tour of the facilities in the Stadium alongside the Minister of Youth and Sports, Mr. Solomon Dalung; Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President, Mr. Amaju Pinnick and other top government functionaries, Governor Ambode said it was unfortunate how things had degenerated, but expressed preparedness to hit the ground running towards restoring the old glory of the Stadium once officially handed over to the State.

The Governor, who recalled how enthusiastic and interesting it was for people in the past to visit the Surulere Stadium even with their families to watch matches and catch fun among others, said repositioning the Stadium would not only help to bring about layers of employment but that it would also facilitate family bonding.

He said: “This visit is very historic. I recall that during our campaign, we promised that we are going to use tourism, entertainment and arts and sports to drive youth employment as well as drive excellence. So, this is just one chapter in that roadmap to growing the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Lagos.

“With the state of affairs here, we cannot fold our arms and just leave this monument to just waste away. The last match that was played here was about fifteen years ago but the truth is this, the inner key to youth empowerment and youth employment is actually in re-establishing this edifice to its real world class standard,” he said.

The Governor thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for graciously approving that the Ahmadu Bello Stadium be given to Kaduna State as well as Enugu Stadium and Calabar Stadium be given to Enugu and Akwa Ibom State Governments respectively.

“What we ask for in Lagos is not as if we are being aggressive, we just think that we need to stand up for leadership here and take over the National Stadium,” the Governor said.

The Governor also commended the Sports Minister for spearheading the move to handover the Stadium to Lagos State and expressed optimism that the journey which had started would eventually lead to a formal pronouncement.

He said aside the fact that the State Government was already planning to construct five stadia in the five administrative divisions of the State to grow sports, the government also has a functional agency in charge of facility management, assuring that the Surulere Stadium would be properly and efficiently managed once handed over to the State.

Earlier, Dalung lamented the dilapidated condition of the Stadium which he described as a national disaster, just as he called for serious and comprehensive action to reposition the Stadium and return it to its pride of place.

While expressing confidence in the ability of the State Government to transform it, Dalung specially thanked Governor Ambode for his interest and commitment to the success of the move to reposition the Stadium.

“We have gone round and we have seen the edifice in a sorry state. Whatever we can do to arrest the situation, we must do it. In my village, there is an adage, which says once there is fire disaster, there is no choice of liquid and any liquid that can contribute to extinguish the fire, must be mobilized including liquor. But today, we have a disaster and we must do everything possible to extinguish it.

“I want to thank the Governor for finding time to come. I have received what I can call football gossip from football federation that if the Surulere Stadium is handed over to Lagos and renovated in six months, the next match of Nigeria against Zambia would be played here,” the Minister said.

He also appealed to Governor Ambode to revamp the Stationary Stores Football Club of Lagos.

Some of the facilities inspected at the Stadium include the Molade Okoya Tennis Hall, 3000 Capacity Multi-Purpose Indoor Sports Hall, Beach Soccer Pitch, Synthetic Football Pitch and the 38,000 Capacity Main Bowl Football Field

Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by realborn(m): 6:13pm On Mar 01, 2017
Ambode, epitome of strategic and exceptional leadership.

Amazing steps so far.

Keep it up Sir from a grateful Lagosian!
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by SalamRushdie: 6:13pm On Mar 01, 2017
So the minister of sports is saying he can no longer handle just two stadia in the country ..Abuja is moribound so is Lagos ..Good move by Ambode buy I suggest the state govt move to buy it before fixing in it due to the instability of federal govts and decision changes
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by Ajibel(m): 6:21pm On Mar 01, 2017
Dalung visits Ambode in Lagos state governments house

Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by Ajibel(m): 6:23pm On Mar 01, 2017
SalamRushdie:
So the minister of sports is saying he can no longer handle just two stadia in the country ..Abuja is moribound so is Lagos ..Good move by Ambode buy I suggest the state govt move to buy it before fixing in it due to the instability of federal govts and decision changes

Do you think any federal government after this would take back the stadium from LASG?
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by SalamRushdie: 6:26pm On Mar 01, 2017
Ajibel:

Do you think any federal government after this would take back the stadium from LASG?

You can never say sha
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by Ajibel(m): 6:27pm On Mar 01, 2017
He also appealed to Governor Ambode to revamp the Stationary Stores Football Club of Lagos.

I think the LASG shouldn't take up any football club. They could rather revive the club and sell it to an investor.
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by Ajibel(m): 6:29pm On Mar 01, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You can never say sha

Well, nothing is impossible.

During Fashola's era, he tried to get GEJ's administration to hand over the facility to LASG, the sports ministry under GEJ politicised the whole thing sadly.

But I believe once LASG takes ownership and renovation work begins, it wont be possible for any successive FG to revoke LASG ownership.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by nerodenero: 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2017
I don't like supporting polithiefcians but Lagos governors of recent have always been able to think outside the box. I believe they're corrupt too.

Give National Stadium, Lagos to Lagos State and see how it will be transformed. I believe NFF will rush to host Eagles matches there. They should remember that Lagos fans no get joy.

Eko oni baje o. O baje ti.
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by tripoli007(m): 6:32pm On Mar 01, 2017
I will be glad to watch another match in this stadia again
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by Lanretoye(m): 6:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
Lagos is always one step ahead
Re: Why We Want To Take-over Surulere National Stadium – Ambode by slimfit1(m): 6:54pm On Mar 01, 2017
Sell it abeg we don't need the waste of time and money it is never going to be used again.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Chieftain Formally Decamps To APC / President Of Which Country Is This? / Fire Outbreak, IPOB Accuses FG Of Planning To Assassinate Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.