Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,005 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid (14111 Views)

3 Terrible Financial Mistakes You Are Making As A Youth / Four Common Financial Mistakes Most People In Nigeria Make / 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by dammy13(m): 7:28am On Mar 02, 2017
Money will always be a huge challenge for any entrepreneur who owns a new business. It is never enough. So, as a new business owner, there are some money mistakes you should not commit no matter the kind of business you are engaged in. If this happens, you will discover that you are just throwing unavailable resources at your business without having the desired impact. Jumia Travel shares some of the money mistakes you should commit to memory if you own a new start up.

1. Having a combined personal account and business account
Whether you are alone in the business or in a partnership, it is important for you to separate your personal account or money from the business. This will not only help you know the viability of your business, you will be aware of how much the business is making. Even if you collect money from your personal account to invest in the business, don’t forget to return it.

2. No budget for your business
For any serious new business with long term goals, it must have a pragmatic and realistic budget. A budget that is not above the available capital. The budget simply tells you how to spend money and the things you need to spend on. Ensure you strike out the things that you don’t critically need for now.

3. Making big purchases
You are in the teething stage of your business, so you don’t need big purchases even if you have bottomless finances. Buying cars, computers and going big on advertising is a no no for any new businesses. It is advisable to be strategic in spending and leave the big purchases for later.

4. Not saving for emergencies
You don’t know when a business emergency will happen. Hence, you always want to be prepared for it. This means that no matter how much you are making, ensure you save for unforeseen circumstances. This is important for small businesses if they want to survive the growing stages of their business.

5. Not paying taxes and utility bills
As a new business owner, you are tempted to avoid payment of taxes and utility bills. But know that you may escape it now but you will unarguably pay for it later. So, pay your taxes and utility bills as at when due to prevent it from piling up and avoid paying unnecessary fines that come with late payment.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/03/5-financial-mistakes-new-business.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by eezeribe(m): 7:47am On Mar 02, 2017
Thanks op.
I recently launched my business in Awka and by God's grace I am doing everything you wrote and more.
The sky is just my foot mat.
I DEDICATE this FTC to the few Nigerian youths who think outside the box and still believe in dignity in Labour.
Don't be discouraged by the many get rich quick schemes and their participants who may want to intimidate you with their Tokunbo cars.
In the journey of life... It's not how fast, but how well.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by dabwan123(m): 7:58am On Mar 02, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by sam4noow(m): 7:58am On Mar 02, 2017
OK we don hear
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Jeffrey12(m): 7:58am On Mar 02, 2017
ok
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Donald7610: 7:58am On Mar 02, 2017
* If you are too proud, don't do business.
* if can't smile, I pity your business
* Emotions have no place in business, unless you do business with them.
* friendship does not equate business, business does not equate friendship.
* The success combination in business is: Do what you do better... and: do more of what you do.
* Don't ever break someone's trust. Once you do, then nobody wants to do business with you.
* Doing business and doing good are not mutually exclusive

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by ymarts: 8:00am On Mar 02, 2017
Nice tips smiley

‎Do you want to make money online by selling things you imported from China on: konga, jumia, kaymu (jumia market), olx, etc but you don't know how to do that because u live outside Lagos? Ymarts and Zuma Marketing Ltd will help you sell any item you want to sell online fast even if you don't live in Lagos, how?

1. We will help you keep your products in our retail warehouse in Lagos and help you print/process and ship your orders on ‎konga, jumia, olx and other e-commerce websites you want.

2. We will help you collect your returned items from konga, jumia, etc and store for you till you get new orders for them.‎

3. We will help you carry your package from CBO when it arrives Lagos and store for you or send to your location.‎

We can also help you sell on our own online platforms, but you must send the items you want us to sell for you to us to keep in our warehouse for easy delivery to buyers. You get paid for any sale the next day after delivery of the item to the buyer.

‎For those in Lagos, we also do cash on delivery service to your buyers in Lagos, Agbara (Ogun State), Abuja and Port-harcourt. We don't accept items above 5kg for now. We only accept items below 5kg for now. We can come to your office, shop or house to pick up the item to deliver, but we will charge you extra money for the pick-up, plus the delivery charge to the buyer.‎

Once you are ready to start, we can help put you through for free (free mini importation training). We are serving more than 15 mini importers on nairaland already, who are making good money monthly and expanding rapidly. We will train u on how to start mini importation from China for free.‎ If you are busy (working class, student or whatever), we will help you manage your online sales stores and you sit back and monitor your sales and profit while we do the rest of the job for you like many nairalanders are doing already; that is called your money working for you.

Don't invest in Ponzi scheme that has no future or expansion, invest your hard earned money in real business you have total control over.

You can start with 150k and above, in facts it's even too much, and u will be making huge profit immediately. We will help put you through for free.‎ We will teach u how to get $$ to import things from China at cheaper rate less than black market rate.

Also, if you have something u want to send from Lagos to Kenya, kindly let us know and help you. Very affordable rate. Chat us on whatsapp for details‎

For more. details about our services, chat with us on whatsapp: 08037295021‎

See more details here too>>>‎https://www.nairaland.com/3657522/make-money-online-fast-via

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by kolikay(m): 8:01am On Mar 02, 2017
Nice
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by akaahs(m): 8:08am On Mar 02, 2017
Impressive, but still dey hustle for money to start my business. This piece is useful at letter date. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by dongalaxy(m): 8:09am On Mar 02, 2017
am a serving apprentice, though will be settled soon. This has given me immense knowledge on how to mange soon coming investment. God bless my vision#

3 Likes

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by shams040(m): 8:12am On Mar 02, 2017
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by ariesbull: 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
This the kind of post that should be gracing this forum

5 Likes

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by raphealolami(m): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017
Great Stuff!!!
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 02, 2017
eezeribe:
Thanks op.
I recently launched my business in Awka and by God's grace I am doing everything you wrote and more.

Congrats bro.Sure,the sky is your stepping stone.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by CaptainKodak(m): 8:28am On Mar 02, 2017
Nice one
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by 2016v2017: 8:28am On Mar 02, 2017
dammy13:
Money will always be a huge challenge for any entrepreneur who owns a new business. It is never enough. So, as a new business owner, there are some money mistakes you should not commit no matter the kind of business you are engaged in. If this happens, you will discover that you are just throwing unavailable resources at your business without having the desired impact. Jumia Travel shares some of the money mistakes you should commit to memory if you own a new start up.

Whether you are alone in the business or in a partnership, it is important for you to separate your personal account or money from the business. This will not only help you know the viability of your business, you will be aware of how much the business is making. Even if you collect money from your personal account to invest in the business, don’t forget to return it.

For any serious new business with long term goals, it must have a pragmatic and realistic budget. A budget that is not above the available capital. The budget simply tells you how to spend money and the things you need to spend on. Ensure you strike out the things that you don’t critically need for now.

3. Making big purchases
You are in the teething stage of your business, so you don’t need big purchases even if you have bottomless finances. Buying cars, computers and going big on advertising is a no no for any new businesses. It is advisable to be strategic in spending and leave the big purchases for later.

You don’t know when a business emergency will happen. Hence, you always want to be prepared for it. This means that no matter how much you are making, ensure you save for unforeseen circumstances. This is important for small businesses if they want to survive the growing stages of their business.

As a new business owner, you are tempted to avoid payment of taxes and utility bills. But know that you may escape it now but you will unarguably pay for it later. So, pay your taxes and utility bills as at when due to prevent it from piling up and avoid paying unnecessary fines that come with late payment.

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by eezeribe(m): 8:29am On Mar 02, 2017
DBriteLitehouse:

Congrats bro.Sure,the sky is your stepping stone.
Thanks Bro... You are destined for greatness.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by bunsuq: 8:38am On Mar 02, 2017
eezeribe:
Thanks op.
I DEDICATE this FTC to the few Nigerian youths who think outside the box and still believe in dignity in Labour.
Don't be discouraged by the many get rich quick schemes and their participants who may want to intimidate you with their Tokunbo cars.
In the journey of life... It's fnot how fast, but how well.

Thanks for the encouragement. What business are you into?
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by mokkalu1(m): 8:40am On Mar 02, 2017
Nice one. Mine is few weeks old and the challenges are really here. I know they will pass with time.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by bunsuq: 8:40am On Mar 02, 2017
Donald7610:
* The success combination in business is: Do what you do better... and: do more of what you do.
* Don't ever break someone's trust. Once you do, then nobody wants to do business with you.
True talk
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by bunsuq: 8:43am On Mar 02, 2017
Donald7610:

Hmn, very insightful. I am noting this down and study it till it sinks. Thanks guys, great stuff
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by CellTabRepairs: 8:50am On Mar 02, 2017
Very sound analysis...

**Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!**
Don't wait in perpetuity for job invitations after applying! March is here already today! The thief you harbour is PROCRASTINATION! Therefore don't wait until the whole year runs out!

Great dreamers don't stay idle at home. They take steps!
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by geraob1: 9:10am On Mar 02, 2017
eezeribe:
Thanks op.
In the journey of life... It's not how fast, but how well.

Oga do ur biz n leave does surviving.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by tivta(m): 9:24am On Mar 02, 2017
No 3 is false, how will people know about your service if you don't advertise? Do you know how much Samsung spends on advertising every year? It is only in Nigeria that small businesses don't see the value of advertising

2 Likes

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 02, 2017
Remove all personal Emotions from business..
Do not play or joke with staff ( sometimes they take the piss as they get comfortable)
Always have a start up float or funds . Try as much not to lend money ( alot crumble after repayments are not made )

Thats what i have learnt so far .. wink

1 Like

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by queenfav(f): 9:33am On Mar 02, 2017
Thanks @op..I am guilty of not having a business account. All my personal monies, salary, business funds and profit are lumped together in one account which is very wrong. It has made me unaccountable so much that I don't keep good financial records. Thankfully,that would be remedied this month.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by PRINCEWAHAB88(m): 9:55am On Mar 02, 2017
Very good post
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by histemple: 10:16am On Mar 02, 2017
tivta:
No 3 is false, how will people know about your service if you don't advertise? Do you know how much Samsung spends on advertising every year? It is only in Nigeria that small businesses don't see the value of advertising

The OP said "going big" on advertising should be a NO for "new" businesses.

However, it's just a piece of advice from a concerned fellow. You can either inculcate or discard it.

1 Like

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Nobody: 10:26am On Mar 02, 2017
I would like to add the following:

1. Borrowing from a bank to start a business: you should start with savings and money from relatives

2 Starting a business because your friends, neibors and church members own a business: you don't know the source of their wealth

they truly own a business.

3 Going into a business you know nothing about.

4 Selling to all your customers on credit.

5 Introducing the business to your relatives, neibors and co workers: bad idea.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by uvalued(m): 10:28am On Mar 02, 2017
dammy13:

3. Making big purchases

Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 02, 2017
eezeribe:

Thanks Bro... You are destined for greatness.
Amen with my two hands wide open. What a prayer this morning.
Re: 5 Financial Mistakes New Business Owners Should Avoid by Charlieoyi: 11:46am On Mar 02, 2017
Op your post is really nice and educative. I will only speak about the last point which is about taxes and utility bills.I feel strongly that FIRS has a huge role to play in letting people know the type of tax they ought to pay.Not just FIRS but other tax agencies.People need to be educated and informed on tax matters regularly.Before registering a business, I think FIRS and the others have to organize orientation for people.We need to know the tax we ought to pay and how we ought to pay them.They don't just sit at their office and expect one school cert who just registered a business to know that he has to pay tax for this and that.
Meanwhile:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Freelancing: Nigerian's Only Hope Of Earning Legitimately Online / How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) / Selling Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.