Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

How To Save Fuel When Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Save Fuel When Driving (22572 Views)

10 Ways To Save Fuel For Your Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Save Fuel When Driving by AutoReportNG2: 7:40am On Mar 04, 2017
With the recession going on in the country now, it is wise that one is resourceful in how we spend our money on some items that are worth spending for. Every time you get behind the wheel, there’s an opportunity to save. Improve the fuel economy of your car in the following ways

These are some fuel-saving tips

Stay aerodynamic

Wind resistance increases fuel consumption so try to keep windows closed at high speeds and remove roof racks and boxes when not in use. Removing a roof-top cargo box can save as much as 20% on fuel over a year.

Slowdown

According to the AA, dropping from 80mph to 70mph could save you up to 25% in fuel. And if you’re on smaller roads, slowing down from 70mph to 60mph could save another 10% .

Maintenance

Get your car serviced regularly to maintain engine efficiency and make sure you’re using the correct engine oil (check the handbook).

Be sensible while driving

Read the road ahead, anticipating the actions of other drivers and potential hazards. The less braking and acceleration, the less fuel used. For instance, drive smoothly in heavy traffic and avoid driving fast to catch up to the car in front, then having to brake.

Drop the revs

Some motorists let the revs (revolutions per minute or RPM) run to 3,000 per minute (petrol car) and 2,500 (diesel) before changing up a gear. It’s more efficient to move up a gear at 2,500 (petrol) and 2,000 (diesel). Also, use high gears such as fifth and sixth gears sooner than later.

Look after the tyres

Well maintained tyres are essential for safe and economical driving. Check tyre pressures regularly (especially before a motorway journey). The RAC claims that correctly inflated tyres can improve fuel consumption by up to 2%.

Reduce the weight of your car

A lighter car will use less fuel, so don’t drive around with unnecessary items in your boot and unless you’re on a long journey, consider running your fuel tank half full or less.

Limit your Speed bumps

Braking hard, accelerating, then braking for the next speed bump is inefficient and uses extra fuel. Try to drive along at a steady 15-20mph instead.

Air condition or open window

Air-conditioning increases fuel consumption, especially at low speeds. If it’s a hot day, use the air conditioning for high-speed driving, but open the windows around town.

Ditch the car

It sounds obvious, but the simplest way to save on your fuel costs is to cut your car use – try walking, cycling or public transport for shorter journeys, or car sharing for your commute.

Drive a manual car

According to the AA, automatics use 10% to 15% more fuel than manuals.

However, the gap is closing as modern, efficient semi-automatics become more popular. There’s also little difference between automatics and manuals on motorways.

Work out how much fuel you use every week. Now try slowing down for a week and see what difference it makes.

Find out the facts when thinking about whether you need a car, and make sure you know how much different types of cars cost to run.

Stay updated for more tips and reviews.

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/how-to-save-fuel-when-driving.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by AutoReportNG2: 7:41am On Mar 04, 2017
Whats your take on these tips? Any addition or subtraction?

See more here

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/how-to-save-fuel-when-driving.html

2 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:44am On Mar 04, 2017
Does this apply to lagos driving? You know you have to close up that gap in front of you if not pesin go chuck head grin

Meanwhile you can bring down the windows in the morning, but not in every area.

43 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by beycity(m): 7:47am On Mar 04, 2017
Nice tips. Will keep them in mind till I buy my car.

8 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by blackylola(m): 7:52am On Mar 04, 2017
In addition avoid V8 engine if you really want to save fuel and Benz and volvo model consume fuel more than Toyota and mazda "penny wise"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by nurey(m): 8:48am On Mar 04, 2017
blackylola:
In addition avoid V8 engine if you really want to save fuel and Benz and volvo model consume fuel more than Toyota and mazda "penny wise"

This is the most myopic comment we have seen in a long time in car talk.

I guess a Toyota landcruiser with 5.7L V8 is more fuel economical than a Mercedes Benz A140

18 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by blackylola(m): 11:26am On Mar 04, 2017
nurey:

I guess a Toyota landcruiser with 5.7L V8 is more fuel economical than a Mercedes Benz A140

Use your common sense, u can't compare landcruiser jeep with small engine Benz. Is like comparing 9/11 truck to sport car please let be reasonable

21 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by nurey(m): 11:44am On Mar 04, 2017
blackylola:

Use your common sense, u can't compare landcruiser jeep with small engine Benz. Is like comparing 9/11 truck to sport car please let be reasonable

Another myopic reply. You were quick to jump into conclusion without facts, fuel economy isn't measured by manufacturer, it's measured by a whole lot of things.

Will you then say a toyota landcruiser with 5.7L V8 is more economical than a Mercedes Benz ML500 with 5.0L V8

Cause I don't get your conclusion that Toyota is more fuel efficient than Benz across the board

9 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by blackylola(m): 11:49am On Mar 04, 2017
nurey:

Another myopic reply. You were quick to jump into conclusion without facts, fuel economy isn't measured by manufacturer, it's measured by a whole lot of things.

Will you then say a toyota landcruiser with 5.7L V8 is more economical than a Mercedes Benz ML500 with 5.0L V8

Cause I don't get your conclusion that Toyota is more fuel efficient than Benz across the board

You can covey your opinion without ridiculing anybody, am entitled to my opinion and what I said is base on my 18yrs experience with automobile.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by nurey(m): 11:57am On Mar 04, 2017
blackylola:

You can covey your opinion without ridiculing anybody, am entitled to my opinion and what I said is base on my 18yrs experience with automobile.

Your comment shows your 18years experience is adulterated.

Even we they call gurus don't have the data only to show fuel economy of all cars, we have sites that have done the test and have first hand data we consult.
A 2017 V6 can have a better fuel economy than a 2000 I4 even if the 4 cylinder has a smaller engine.

It just annoying when people keep saying Toyota has better fuel economy than Benz without been specific. I am sorry if my comment is too harsh I mean no harm, one love brother/sister

10 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by blackylola(m): 12:06pm On Mar 04, 2017
nurey:

Your comment shows your 18years experience is adulterated.

Even we they call gurus don't have the data only to show fuel economy of all cars, we have sites that have done the test and have first hand data we consult.
A 2017 V6 can have a better fuel economy than a 2000 I4 even if the 4 cylinder has a smaller engine.

It just annoying when people keep saying Toyota has better fuel economy than Benz without been specific. I am sorry if my comment is too harsh I mean no harm, one love brother/sister

I rest my case Sir

9 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by diportivo: 1:37pm On Mar 04, 2017
Baseless arguments

Dats why people buy lemons all in d name of wanting Toyota

undecided

10 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by valarinz: 11:21am On Mar 05, 2017
blackylola:

You say you have 18yrs driving experience and yet you spill this kind of thrash, just so pathetic. Just wtf does this comment of yours actually mean, I can buy any car with the Toyota logo inscribed on it and I'm sure to get to get a better mpg to any other one with volvo logo on it, right?

18 yrs experience?? Did I read that we'll again? 18yrs doing exactly what? Washing cars and bringing them out of the compound for the owners to ride away or what? And this is how you guys will go on and keep buying scrap toyota cars for twice the price of a good Benz or volvo and keep suffering on a daily basis on the hands of the kazeems and spare parts sellers

I assume your 02 avalon has a better fuel economy than an 02 volvo S40 too? Smh

3 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by blackylola(m): 11:59am On Mar 05, 2017
valarinz:

You say you have 18yrs driving experience and yet you spill this kind of thrash, just so pathetic. Just wtf does this comment of yours actually mean, I can buy any car with the Toyota logo inscribed on it and I'm sure to get to get a better mpg to any other one with volvo logo on it, right?

18 yrs experience?? Did I read that we'll again? 18yrs doing exactly what? Washing cars and bringing them out of the compound for the owners to ride away or what? And this is how you guys will go on and keep buying scrap toyota cars for twice the price of a good Benz or volvo and keep suffering on a daily basis on the hands of the kazeems and spare parts sellers

I assume your 02 avalon has a better fuel economy than an 02 volvo S40 too? Smh

Silent is the best answer for you

9 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by 3kay945(m): 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2017
Make Una no fight o, am already learning here o,. cool

2 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by valarinz: 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
blackylola:

Silent is the best answer for you

Yes of course, given the present circumstances, that's your only option, to avoid further embarrassment, tnx

3 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by lonelydora: 7:08am On Mar 06, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by Launcher: 7:08am On Mar 06, 2017
I don't really see a solution. Everything still consumes fuel, as I no get car yet............... I will comment when I buy one grin

7 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by magnesium: 7:10am On Mar 06, 2017
Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by Tazdroid(m): 7:10am On Mar 06, 2017
- Use less AC and enjoy the natural breeze

- Don't drive like a maniac when you get frustrated in traffic, your car still won't fly

- Avoid breaking traffic rules- you may have to drive the Traffic Police Inspector or LASTMA official to their office and back

15 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 06, 2017
Whatever you do, never switch off your engine while driving.

Some people - especially commercial drivers, or local men in the countryside - do this to conserve fuel.

It's an invitation to the grave as the steering may become stiff.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by yomalex(m): 7:11am On Mar 06, 2017
Great tips.
have you checked my signature?
Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by MotoringNigeria: 7:14am On Mar 06, 2017
nurey:

*holds laff*
Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by Wiseoldman: 7:14am On Mar 06, 2017
Jarus:
Whatever you do, never switch off your engine while driving.

Some people - especially commercial drivers, or local men in the countryside - do this to conserve fuel.

It's an invitation to the grave as the steering may become stiff.

Why? I'm interested.

1 Like

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by tribalistseun: 7:14am On Mar 06, 2017
Ask Kemen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by hucienda: 7:15am On Mar 06, 2017
Nice tips.

Educative posts as always by the OP.

Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by jeeqaa7(m): 7:16am On Mar 06, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by oseiwe(m): 7:18am On Mar 06, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Whats your take on these tips? Any addition or subtraction?

Lalasticlala, Seun
My tank is always full, why is it bad? I always use AC, I have never used natural air once, apart from that, I'm good.
Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by DollarAngel(m): 7:20am On Mar 06, 2017
Nice tips, getting my car this year

3 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by wtfCode: 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
[Quote] Nice tips. Will keep them in mind till I buy my car. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by sweatlana: 7:24am On Mar 06, 2017
nurey:

I used Toyota Land cruiser v8. Hmmm it is God that deliver me out of financial bandage in buying fuel. The newer models of benz consume less full. I've used both.

2 Likes

Re: How To Save Fuel When Driving by kingi777: 7:34am On Mar 06, 2017
I see no difference driving with or without AC with my corolla. I only experience elevated fuel consumption when I drive above 120 or so but with less than 100 km/h or 60mph the fuel consumption is so low.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Viecar VC002-A/B Mini OBDII Bluetooth Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool (4.5K) / INNOSON Partners With Sterling Bank- PHOTOS / Relate Your Bad Experience Of Buying A Bad Car Without Proper Inspection.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.