Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

How To Get A Divorce? Please Help - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Get A Divorce? Please Help (3593 Views)

Chike Eze Threatens To Kill His Wife Racheal If Court Doesn't Give Him A Divorce / I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / "My Wife’s Beauty Makes Me Sleepless, I Want A Divorce" - Zimbabwea Man To Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 9:37pm On Mar 05, 2017
please, how do I go about this?
Must it be in the court where I got married?
How long will the process take?
How do I get a lawyer? I don't know any chamber
I have an unborn baby, will this have any effect?
what is the first step?

thank you as I await useful responses...
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by dingbang(m): 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2017
What is this world turning into.. Why is divorce so rampant these days..
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by FirstCounsel(m): 9:46pm On Mar 05, 2017
We need to know the background facts about your marriage i.e was it at the Registry or not? This would determine what next step to take if you've really made up your mind about the divorce.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 9:46pm On Mar 05, 2017
FirstCounsel:
We need to know the background facts about your marriage i.e was it at the Registry or not? This would determine what next step to take if you've really made up your mind about the divorce.

yes it was in a registry...
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by busar(m): 9:49pm On Mar 05, 2017
It has finally gotten to this state.... May God help you
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by MummyIMadeIt: 9:57pm On Mar 05, 2017
IF THE FOUNDATION BE DESTROYED............... cry

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by sisisioge: 10:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
Chai! Chineme o! Your monkey finally entered the bush! Anyways, it is well. Some people are designed to learn not by observation but by direct participation!

Divorce is final babes. From getting a lawyer, paying a lot of cash for the fees, serving the respondent Court notices, appearing in court several times, opening cans of worms during examinations and cross examinations, etc...We are talking time and money here. Please take a deep breath and reaccess your situation. You could just consider a separation for now, at least till the baby arrives. Babies change everything. It is well.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 10:20pm On Mar 05, 2017
sisisioge:
Chai! Chineme o! Your monkey finally entered the bush! Anyways, it is well. Some people are designed to learn not by observation but by direct participation!

Divorce is final babes. From getting a lawyer, paying a lot of cash for the fees, serving the respondent Court notices, appearing in court several times, opening cans of worms during examinations and cross examinations, etc...We are talking time and money here. Please take a deep breath and reaccess your situation. You could just consider a separation for now, at least till the baby arrives. Babies change everything. It is well.

please, can you help me with an estimate of the cost?

I really don't want to do this but for my sanity I have to.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Montaque(m): 10:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
I presume ur marriage isn't 3yrs old yet. Consider separation for now. Court will hardly grant u a divorce at this stage, and they will push u to settlement first before granting u trial. Try and resolve abeg. Divorce proceedings are messy and shameful. I hold u in high esteem not to tow that part.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by FirstCounsel(m): 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2017
Maaamaaa:

yes it was in a registry...
Then the appropriate court to file for the dissolution of the Marriage is the High Court
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 10:55pm On Mar 05, 2017
Montaque:
I presume ur marriage isn't 3yrs old yet. Consider separation for now. Court will hardly grant u a divorce at this stage, and they will push u to settlement first before granting u trial. Try and resolve abeg. Divorce proceedings are messy and shameful. I hold u in high esteem not to tow that part.
Goodluck

I'm too emotional to let this linger on... I can't concentrate on my life anymore...

I do not wish for this but I'm tired... really tired...

I just want to move on and have my life back...

I'm barely three months old...i am opting for a separation now but I want to know the procedure and start immediately...
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Montaque(m): 11:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
Maaamaaa:

I'm too emotional to let this linger on... I can't concentrate on my life anymore...

I'm barely three months old...i am opting for a separation now but I want to know the procedure and start immediately...

Separation doesn't dissolve the union, it gives the parties a break, temporary while the marriage is legally in place. As young as ur union is, I will advice a mutual separation. You and ur hubby can sit and discuss on the modalities and how long its gonna be. That's almost what the court will do if u file for separation, the marriage remains intact but the parties live legally apart, subject to periodic visit.
So can u have that discussion with him? Tell him how u feel and that u need a little break to get urself back.
When this doesn't work, then u can proceed to court to have it done.
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:32am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:

Calm down Dear, I understand how you feel but calm down.

MODIFIED:
I see what's up now. I think you should consider a few things before going ahead with the divorce. I'm sorry you've been going through a lot and I hope you are able to manage your sanity. Honestly, I feel so touched by your series of stories... God Bless You
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by FirstCounsel(m): 12:50am On Mar 06, 2017
You may have to answer a few questions you'd consider private here but you may choose not to.
1.how long have you been married?
2. Do you still live with your husband presently?
3. If no how long have you been separated?
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by DBestDoc(f): 4:16am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:

It's like you guys just derive pleasure from rubbishing the marriage institution.
A few months ago you were advised and severely warned against that marriage but you went ahead with it anyway.

All suggestions to keep the marriage on hold at least until baby is born fell on deaf ears. Marriage is not something you walk in and out of at your convenience.
Carry your cross madam.

9 Likes

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Dyt(f): 4:18am On Mar 06, 2017
YOU AINT GOING NO WHERE WOMAN

YOU STAYING!!!!
angry angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 5:54am On Mar 06, 2017
FirstCounsel:
You may have to answer a few questions you'd consider private here but you may choose not to.
1.how long have you been married?
2. Do you still live with your husband presently?
3. If no how long have you been separated?

I may be slow with my response but I will try...
1. 3months
2. Yes, I do
3. I still do.
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by enoqueen: 6:18am On Mar 06, 2017
Av u talk to your mum?
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by sisisioge: 6:41am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:

Between 150k to 250k. The court will only be willing to dissolve it if you've been apart for 1 or 2 yrs. Your three months old marriage will only receive prayers from the court unless you could prove your life is threatened. Even at that, you would only be encouraged to try separation. It is well o. May God help you settle this.
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Nobody: 7:06am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:
please, how do I go about this?
Must it be in the court where I got married?
How long will the process take?
How do I get a lawyer? I don't know any chamber
I have an unborn baby, will this have any effect?
what is the first step?

thank you as I await useful responses...

Pls resolve ur issue wt ur husband,thank me later.
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by teemy(m): 7:43am On Mar 06, 2017
sorry maaamaaa for all you've had to go through. i went through your other threads and with this now i recommend taking a considerable time to think lest another mistake be piled on the existing ones. since there is no life threatening issue, ...
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by FirstCounsel(m): 7:47am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:

I may be slow with my response but I will try...
1. 3months
2. Yes, I do
3. I still do.
Three months is such a short time! Are you sure you've thought about this and weighed your options properly? Its best not to take any decision"in anger" if you get my drift. I'm a lawyer. You may wish to contact me privately. Thanks
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by teemy(m): 7:47am On Mar 06, 2017
a divorce would not be as quick as you would want. as the 2 years separation would be considered as well as asking you both to consult elderly advice. the only quick fix is only if you both agree presenting 'irreconcilable differences' as grounds.
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by teemy(m): 7:52am On Mar 06, 2017
back to what you are going through with hubby seeing you as a restriction to his life's joy, i believe you should get to be fulfilled on your own and not be seen as a leech by working towards self sufficiency. remove 'i need' from your vocabulary. ..
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by teemy(m): 7:57am On Mar 06, 2017
that man who understands doing right would one day turn around but that should not stop your new habbits of self sufficiency as men are not meal tickets. sexual sufficiency with toys from nigerian online stores would help the cravings for now. cheers
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 8:00am On Mar 06, 2017
sisisioge:

Between 150k to 250k. The court will only be willing to dissolve it if you've been apart for 1 or 2 yrs. Your three months old marriage will only receive prayers from the court unless you could prove your life is threatened. Even at that, you would only be encouraged to try separation. It is well o. May God help you settle this.

so I have to wait for 1year or 2years before I can file for a divorce?

I think my sanity is part of my life, is that enough grounds...
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Maaamaaa: 8:02am On Mar 06, 2017
FirstCounsel:

Three months is such a short time! Are you sure you've thought about this and weighed your options properly? Its best not to take any decision"in anger" if you get my drift. I'm a lawyer. You may wish to contact me privately. Thanks

Yes, I am very sure... my mind is made up...
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by sisisioge: 8:12am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:

so I have to wait for 1year or 2years before I can file for a divorce?

I think my sanity is part of my life, is that enough grounds...

Hmmm... Talk to a lawyer directly. Let him/her have all the facts to advise you with. It is well.
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by ahnie: 8:26am On Mar 06, 2017
Dyt:
YOU AINT GOING NO WHERE WOMAN

YOU STAYING!!!!
angry angry angry angry
dyt ti binu o.e take en easy. grin grin
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by Dyt(f): 8:29am On Mar 06, 2017
ahnie:
dyt ti binu o.e take en easy. grin grin

She must stay
angry angry angry
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by FirstCounsel(m): 8:31am On Mar 06, 2017
Maaamaaa:

Yes, I am very sure... my mind is made up...
Very well then. It's your decision
Re: How To Get A Divorce? Please Help by ahnie: 8:33am On Mar 06, 2017
Dyt:

She must stay
angry angry angry
She mustn't....i know she was warned.why you dey para like this?this bae z emotionally not sound?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marriage,convictions And Solidity / Must Wife Travel Every Christmas / Differences Between Men And Women (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.