Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (68322 Views)

My Toyota Corolla 2007 Model (bank Type) Vibrates At Between 110 - 120km/h / Man Caught 'Driving Without A Steering Wheel' / Car Vibrates At Above 100 Km/ph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by chrischima(m): 8:22am On Dec 17, 2009
I cant believe that some people still clock 140km/hr and still be comfortable to say it in public forum like this when u know that speed kills, My People please speed kills cos definitely ur reaction rate will be decrease, Let us be cautious,
@ poster, the solution to the problems re not far from what i have seen here, from my own experience just do the Wheel Balancingand the Alignment then check ur Tyres, Good luck
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by adeyemik: 10:41am On Dec 17, 2009
It is unfortunate that my car owners take their car to various workshops where manual wheel balancing and alignment are carried out on the cars. I took my car to one of such workshops and my car came out worse of. I struggled to put the car straight with the car when I drove it out of the workshop. I had to call someone who direct me to where I could do the alignment and wheel balancing digitally, and the rubbish down manually was corrected. And to my surprise the cost was very reasonable.

Anyone that loves his/her live and car, should do their alignment and balancing digitally.

Adeyemik
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Kx: 10:44am On Dec 17, 2009
It is possible that your front tyres have expired.
Funny enough not everybody knows that tyres have expiry dates.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 8:12am On Dec 18, 2009
@Kx, my tyres can't have expired yet. They were manufactured in 2008.

@Adeyemik, thanks for the info about the digital wheel balancing and alignment. I will ask around about it.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by ttemi16: 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2009
I registered to Nairaland so I can probably help you with my suggestion, what happened to your camry happened to my car in 9ja then,
it is can be annoying, you ll just be changin tyres , wheel balancing, and shaft without any change.
Bruv, just change the engine seat of your car, i am very sure you will thank God!.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by TopeFl(m): 5:25pm On Dec 18, 2009
Same Happened to my 2001 Camry 6 months ago. It was really bad. Do you know what the cause was? ONE OF THE TIRES HAD BALOONED. Last week, my wifes car did the same and I jumped out to go look at the wheel and alas, a big bubble in the left front tire. Please check your tires.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by kayoday(m): 3:52am On Dec 19, 2009
@ poster
vibration at high speed is caused by wheel balancing. Most of the naija road side auto wheel balancing do rubbish. try using computerised wheel balancing & alignment. One at Iluobe filling station Wuse market or Wheel & Tyre Jibowu Lagos. It does not cost must and you get value for your money.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by steadieus: 9:38am On Dec 19, 2009
Try wheel balancing and alignment, if that doesn't solve the problem the Check the brake disc. as a bad brake disc can cause a car to vibrate at that speed.
All the best.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by johhnnie(m): 1:55pm On Dec 19, 2009
It may be normal, when not excessive. But my best bet is, find out if the car was initially a rightee before it was converted. If yes it might mis allignment during the conversion. in which case the conversion was not properly done.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by tunene: 3:33pm On Dec 19, 2009
Nairalanders get experience no be small o. Someone just said his wheels shake at highspeed and just imagine how solutions began to fly. Well, just try this thing. Go now to a mechanic check your brake, if your car uses a brake pad especially front pads, it is mostly likely the one, if the brakes are intact (i.e. new or relatively new) then check your barke disc aside this all those allignment, tire or wheel balancing thing na fa fa foul. If the car is tokumbo and the brake pads looks new or of adequate, it is not a guarantee the brake pads are good it could have absorbed water. Best of luck.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by bayol2001: 6:35pm On Dec 19, 2009
make sure ur rims are not bent,check ur tyres .if u still av the problem, u av to change ur complete brake disc, the 2 sides, trust me u will be ok, am sure ur street as a lot of potholes, dats wat causes it,
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 10:36pm On Dec 19, 2009
Thanks guys for your contributions. I had another wheel balancing and alignment done today. The guy who did the job really knows his stuff. He even opened up my steering wheel and made some adjustments. Did a test run and all was well. No more shaking. Problem solved. smiley

3 Likes

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Igwe9(m): 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2009
pannyman:

Thanks guys for your contributions. I had another wheel balancing and alignment done today. The guy who did the job really knows his stuff. He even opened up my steering wheel and made some adjustments. Did a test run and all was well. No more shaking. Problem solved. smiley
congrats, buddy! smiley
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by friendl: 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2009
Are u sure if it wasn't converted from rhd to lhd?wheel balance or the bolts are lose in the steering rack,inshort see a professional
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 8:02am On Dec 21, 2009
@Friendl, it's not a converted car, all is well now
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by earthrealm(m): 8:56am On Dec 21, 2009
the tyroid [op i got the spelling right!], can also cause the steering 2 vibrate @high speeds, infact its the first sign, of tyroid wear/failure,
try changing the tyroid, tis not expensive abt 6k or so.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 10:05am On Dec 21, 2009
Amazing how guys respond to threads without reading through the earlier posts.

1 Like

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by N9528GB: 11:55am On Dec 22, 2009
grin grin grin grin by now this poster has got the message and am sure he has found the solution and @poster abeg I suggest u change ur b4 it causes an accident GOD FOR BIT it!

But flying on 100km/h and ur wheels r shaking omo that is serious danger oooo shocked
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by chelseabmw(m): 9:46pm On Sep 04, 2010
nice thread
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by samenk(m): 12:37am On Sep 21, 2010
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by seal777(m): 9:39am On Sep 22, 2010
i am suprised i have not seen thi thread before now, this is my experience:

i had the same problem with my camry 99, had wheel balancing and alignment done almost three times, the tyres we rotated between the legs but no solution, changed complete shaft and gear end, leakages and so on as prescribed by my mechanic, had the four tyres changed to new ones but no solution.

I was forced to invite another mechanic to check the car and behold he detected that there is a montain which holds the gear end shaft to the gear, its an iron bulid with a rubber typed guide in it that looks like an engine mountain but the shaft end goes thru it and tighten to the engine fromthe lower arm directly infront of the passenger side in the hood. (the rubber within the mountain had cut thereby causung the vibration at high speed with much intensity when u apply the brake). Y ou can have a look at it through the front tyre on the hood at the passenger side.

Funny enof it cost just 1500 at ladipo though it position seems a bit hard to install. Having done that, had alignment and balancing done and that was all.

Let ur mechanic have a check.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by yinkobert(m): 7:21pm On Sep 22, 2010
My own experience with my honda accord 04 is almost the same but the diffrence is that my stearing vibrates volently while in holdup and u can easily see my bonnet vibrates seriously,i have adjusted my slow several time but to no avail.it was adjusted once and stable but the enging running was too high so had no option to return it back to normal slow but still vibrates.please can someone in the house advise me on what i should do,a rewire once told me that my injector mouth need to be changed .please help.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by earthrealm(m): 8:13pm On Sep 22, 2010
@yinkobert.so it vibrates only when u r in hold up?, it doesnt vibrate on speed?
ur answer can help pinpoint the ssolution.

@original topic.
same s,hit happened 2 me, did balancing n allignment n tyre rotation, but the s,hit didnt stop.

i later changed the tierod n linkages wch were obviously bad, i cud see it myself when they were loosened n then did allignment n balancing in a good place where they used computer .it was there that i found out that my front rim was bent [had run into a road divider some months back], the bent rim now introduced uneven rotation on the linkage n tierod n that made dem go bad.
so the computerised alligmnet n balancing spotted out the bad ty/rim, wch i promptly changed. now i hit 160km on the highway, no shaking, ws nearly tempted 2 hit 180 on the onitcha asaba expressway! cool
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by yinkobert(m): 8:35pm On Sep 22, 2010
yes it does not vibrate on speed but it only vibrates on hold up
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by zinaLPF: 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2010
Hey there, old thread, but could not help but add this as I hope it helps someone else -

My policy is always to take care of the simple fixes first, before the more complex (read expensive) fixes!
I have had the exact same problem in 2 vehicles in the past - a 2003 VW Golf VR6 and a 1997 Range Rover.
Both ended up in exactly the same fix - tire (tyre) replacement!
Sounds ridiculous, right? So I thought too, until I paid for a new set of tires, and wheel balancing and voila!

I remember the LR service tech in Atlanta suggested that I replace the air suspension on the RR ($4000)!!
Remember the older RR's had that messed up air suspension that would always go bad after about 50K miles?
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by adanny01(m): 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2010
My own experience with my honda accord 04 is almost the same but the diffrence is that my stearing vibrates volently while in holdup and u can easily see my bonnet vibrates seriously,i have adjusted my slow several time but to no avail.it was adjusted once and stable but the enging running was too high so had no option to return it back to normal slow but still vibrates.please can someone in the house advise me on what i should do,a rewire once told me that my injector mouth need to be changed .please help.
For this i can only guess that 1 or more of your engine sitting is bad and that would make the whole car feel the engine movements and vibrates especially when you start moving but stops shaken when already moving moving. Have mechanics check the engine sitting.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by yinkobert(m): 9:00am On Sep 23, 2010
For this i can only guess that 1 or more of your engine sitting is bad and that would make the whole car feel the engine movements and vibrates especially when you start moving but stops shaken when already moving moving. Have mechanics check the engine sitting.

thanks a lot I checked my engine sits and discoverd one was bad and I have it changed immediatelly but the problem still persists
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by earthrealm(m): 9:35am On Sep 23, 2010
ok
2 things cud cause it 2 vibrate on hold up
1.en gine sitting

2. clogged injector/bad plug

so since 1 is ruled out, then its prolly 2
follow the steps below
start the car n open ur bonnet.locate the distributor head [the cables that power the spark plug].uplup dem 1 after the other n watch the engine sound/performance
ie uplug one, listen.if no change put it back n unplug anoda.
the one that u unplug n no change in the car sound is the culprit, change the spark plug, n if it still persists, go n regrind ur injector nozzles.its clogged.its a simple ops

also.is ur car firing well?, i mean on the highway is it sluggish?
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by yinkobert(m): 9:50am On Sep 23, 2010
@earthrealm
the car fires very well on high speed infact the only time i enjoyed the car is when am travelling
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by zhukafa(m): 11:35am On Sep 23, 2010
@yinkobert

your problem is solved, what car do you use. (1) check the engine sitting, i presume it happens more when you put on your a/c.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by earthrealm(m): 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2010
chk ur injector nozzles, they r clogged.they hv to take it out n regrind, do the spark plug test i told u.its a normall thing in cars that buy bad fuel/dont use the injector cleaner etc.
na simple job, dont let the mechanics deceive u
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by adanny01(m): 10:29am On Sep 24, 2010
Why do not injector cleaner?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Tiny Car For Wheelchair Users Costs 9 Million Naira / The Army Jeep Innoson Motors Produced / Arthur Eze Buys 2019 Roll Royce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.