Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (68323 Views)

My Toyota Corolla 2007 Model (bank Type) Vibrates At Between 110 - 120km/h / Man Caught 'Driving Without A Steering Wheel' / Car Vibrates At Above 100 Km/ph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by yinkobert(m): 12:38pm On Sep 24, 2010
thanks so much,it only happens whenever I put on my A/c .I use honda accord 2004 4 plugs
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by adanny01(m): 3:17pm On Sep 24, 2010
Its possible your idle RPM (Slow) is very low. Let your mechanic adjust it to about 700 - 800 rpm without A/C if its less than 500 rpm.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by earthrealm(m): 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2010
injector cleaner wont do much good now, its clogged already, it has 2 be mechanically/manually unblocked

hv u done the spark plug test i told u?
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by akinsoji66(m): 1:27pm On Jan 05, 2011
Hello,

Please the answer to this problem, kindly change ur break pad. its the best solution so far, trust me
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by bdek(m): 12:45pm On Apr 03, 2011
If d engine vibrate when is Idle is cause by bad engine mount or vacumm that control the back engine mount, the vacumm is difficult to notice , all u need to do is to a pysical check on the mount .if there is no damage the vacumm will be the prob, this mostly got worst when u put on A/C .

On the issue of steering wheel vibrate at high speed , when u have a new latest Automoble tend to feel the performance despite the risk , this is Natural to human , this is mostly cause by the stabilizer imbalance , most ppl always got it lucky on the wheel balance or thought is disk warp, althought those too cause this kind of problem 80% of car has this two prob, , please check the stabilizer rod , remove it and see if it happen , remember the oyinbo that put it there , knows it importance.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 03, 2011
Possible causes of steering wheel wobble / vibration at certain speeds above 50 mph can be split into two groups: Suspension and rotary.

ROTARY

1) Front or rear wheel/s out of balance.
2) Front or rear wheel/s buckled from impact with kerb.
3) Front or rear tyre/s has damaged tread / sidewall (bulge).
4) Driveshaft/s bent.
5) Propshaft bent, or out of balance.
6) Propshaft centre support bearing worn.

SUSPENSION

1) Front suspension track control arms / wishbone bushes worn.
2) Steering track rod ends worn.
3) Upper / lower ball joints worn.
4) Strut top mounts worn.
5) Suspension dampers worn / leaking.
6) Subframe mounting bushes worn.

2 Likes

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by akinfx45: 3:56pm On Apr 03, 2011
i suggest also you check your brake pads, i have experienced this also and after my break pads were change, i can go as far speed as i want without vibration

1 Like

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 03, 2011
akinfx45:

i suggest also you check your brake pads, i have experienced this also and after my break pads were change, i can go as far speed as i want without vibration

Worn brake pads will cause a "grinding" noise. Warped brake pads will certainly cause judder and vibration, however, this will only occur when the brakes are applied. It won't cause vibration during fast driving.

1 Like

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by akinfx45: 6:14pm On Apr 03, 2011
Guess you are right, was just an idea, i am not a mechanic though cheers all d way
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Bossmd: 5:34pm On Aug 14, 2014
toba: Poster listen.When u experience such,first check tyre balancing at a good balancers shop not petrol station balancer.A very good balancer will tell u if ur tyrod,ball joint,upper or lower arms are bad.Im talking from what i experienced in May.A balancer fixed it for.It has nothing to do with shaft ok.More free advice if u need it

@Toba where did you do your balancing. This problem is presently happening to my car. Whenever I exceed 100km/hr my steering starts to vibrate. Initially I thought it was my tyres so I bought four brand new tyres yesterday, but today again while I was travelling, the problem persists at above 100km/hr. I really don't know what could be responsible for this.

All experts in the house should please come to my aid.
My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Bossmd: 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
pannyman: Thanks guys for your contributions. I had another wheel balancing and alignment done today. The guy who did the job really knows his stuff. He even opened up my steering wheel and made some adjustments. Did a test run and all was well. No more shaking. Problem solved. smiley

@Pannyman pls where did u have your balancing done?
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by tsiriman(m): 6:42pm On Aug 14, 2014
Bossmd:

@Toba where did you do your balancing. This problem is presently happening to my car. Whenever I exceed 100km/hr my steering starts to vibrate. Initially I thought it was my tyres so I bought four brand new tyres yesterday, but today again while I was travelling, the problem persists at above 100km/hr. I really don't know what could be responsible for this.

My 2008 honda accord was suffering from the same problem as your camry, that was even after I had bought brand new Michelin Primacy 3 tires and balanced the wheels after fitting the new tires. The car was still vibrating when ever I reach 100-120km/hr.

So I decided to go and do the balancing at another place in warff road Kaduna, lo and behold a dent was identified on the inner part of my rear alloy wheel after it had been removed. The outter part was perfect so you'd never suspect the dent at the other side.
They then removed my tire and TMPS sensor then took the alloy to panteka in kaduna and straightened then balanced it, they then inspected the other alloy wheels and confirmed them Ok then they balanced them in the shop.
After that it I could reach up to 140-150km/hr without feeling any vibration.

Guy if you have new tires then check the alloy or rims them self, one or more could be bent due to impact or something else, but if all Ok then you might want to look at some other parts.

1 Like

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Bossmd: 8:32pm On Aug 14, 2014
tsiriman:

My 2008 honda accord was suffering from the same problem as your camry, that was even after I had bought brand new Michelin Primacy 3 tires and balanced the wheels after fitting the new tires. The car was still vibrating when ever I reach 100-120km/hr.

So I decided to go and do the balancing at another place in warff road Kaduna, lo and behold a dent was identified on the inner part of my rear alloy wheel after it had been removed. The outter part was perfect so you'd never suspect the dent at the other side.
They then removed my tire and TMPS sensor then took the alloy to panteka in kaduna and straightened then balanced it, they then inspected the other alloy wheels and confirmed them Ok then they balanced them in the shop.
After that it I could reach up to 140-150km/hr without feeling any vibration.

Guy if you have new tires then check the alloy or rims them self, one or more could be bent due to impact or something else, but if all Ok then you might want to look at some other parts.

@Tsiriman pls can you give the exact address where you did the job at Kaduna, I will be in Kaduna this weekend for an assignment. Will be waiting please. Thanks.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by tsiriman(m): 8:37pm On Aug 14, 2014
Bossmd:

@Tsiriman pls can you give the exact address where you did the job at Kaduna, I will be in Kaduna this weekend for an assignment. Will be waiting please. Thanks.

Almuhamsay on warff road, there is a Honda sign on top of the shop and it's beside Fahimta(if I remember the name correctly) community bank
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by 19naia(m): 3:28am On Aug 15, 2014
If you tried wheel balance, then you are left with two more simple options..

Before considering alignment, Have some one sit at the steering of the car and then have another lay under the front of the car and put their eyes and Ears into the front end drive system and especially the steering tie rods where they connect to the wheel spindle and also where they connect to the rack and pinion( the hydraulic piston used to push the steering tie rods)... The tie rods are joined in a ball joint configuration and over time the ball loosens the core it sits in.. Its starts early signs with vibration at high speeds and exactly like a poor balancing of the tires..
But as time goes on ,it gets worse and very dangerous as one day the tie rod is forced out of place at speed and the side that goes out looses all steering control and very deadly senario..

The test is to have some one listen under the car around the sterring mechanisms ,tierods and rack and pinion.. All the way from the wheel spindle of one tire all the way over to the other and the rack and pinion is in the center between the two front tires..
Have some one at the steering giving very small jerks to the steering to make the wheels move strong short movements.. Very small movements but hard jerk of the wheel... If there is a loos tie rod joint of gap anywhere in the steering linkage, it will make a small or big clicking sound even before the tire gets a chance to respond with movement...

If you hear the clicking, you must look for it to see it in action.. It may be covered with a rubber bushing or sleeve and not visible due to grease and dirt... If you hear it there, then test again and be sure its consistent sound and that you locate it... Then take your car to have the tie rods replaced and it is best to replace boths sides and some cars like subaru require the entire rack and pinion with tie rods to be removed and its costly.. Most cars allow tie rods to be replaced while keeping the rack and pinon.. Have the car checked for the tie rod and rack and pinion, ITS NO JOKING MATTER, its one of the most fatal mishaps to have due to lack of repair.. If there is only one thing you repair on your car, make sure its always the tie rods to the rack and pinion...At least with no brakes, you can steer away from most accidents.. Its worse with no steering....

I have gone through this problem with two cars, one subaru and just recently the mazda copy of ford ranger.. Subaru was no cheap fix.. The Mazda was as are most cars, needing only tie rod replacements...

I would always do this steering test first for clicking sounds while parked, if i don't observe any sounds or gaps, then its simply balance and alignment..
I also had a sound more like a high frequency thumping in the wheel but it didn't vibrate the steering, it only offset the steering alignment..That problem was abad ball joint and it prevented even a proper alignment service from restoring my steering wheel to proper center... The ball joint sounds where not so bad or as dangerous as the tie rod issue but any vibration and imbalance allowed to persist in the steering and tire stability during driving motion, it will put undue strain on the tie rods and make them more subject to dangerous loosening..
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
Bossmd:

WITH AN OLD MAN IS LAGOS STREET AT EBUTE METTA. call him on 08033844192
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Edunwa302(m): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
pannyman: Thanks guys for your contributions. I had another wheel balancing and alignment done today. The guy who did the job really knows his stuff. He even opened up my steering wheel and made some adjustments. Did a test run and all was well. No more shaking. Problem solved. smiley
oh better, tnx for stopping dis fight of crazy en reasonable option war
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by davo3286: 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
rasputinn: It's not wheel balance,his brake discs are fuccked up

Yeah, you are right man! Brake disc can cause vibrations too. I have 2010 Honda Accord 3.5L V6 which the steering keeps vibtrating whenever I accelerate to or even coast at 60mph (100km/h). I observed that when I get past 100, 120 to 140km/h the steering stops vibrating...checked tires, wheels (rims) -OK...did balancing and alignment no headway. Checked suspension parts...all OK. But as I changed my brake pad and disc the steering stops vibrating...my braking distance reduced and returned to normal...my car handles better...drivability - smoooth!
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 8:38am On Aug 16, 2014
With more years of experience as a car user, I know that sticking calipers can also cause vibrating of the steering when driving at high speeds.

It's advisable to have the calipers serviced annually if you live in Nigeria because of all the dirty water one drives through.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Bossmd: 7:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
I had my wheel balancing done using a digital wheel balancer at a Total Service Station. Now the steering vibrations have subsided.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Bossmd: 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
tsiriman:

Almuhamsay on warff road, there is a Honda sign on top of the shop and it's beside Fahimta(if I remember the name correctly) community bank

Thanks tsiriman, Even though I did the wheel balancing at a Total Service Station, I later noticed the steering still vibrates at 100km/hr.

So on my trip to Kaduna I stopped over at Almuhamsay for them to look up the car. They have a screen that displays the accuracy of each tyre. Lo and Behold, they did the job and now the steering no longer vibrates at all.

To be candid if your steering vibrates at high speed, the problem is inaccurate wheel balance. The reason the problem persists for some people like myself after the so called wheel balancing has been done is because it was not properly done. Beleive me, if it was properly done just like I did mine today, the vibration will cease.

Cheers.

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Bashino: 8:04am On Nov 24, 2014
Guys, listen. Shakes while on speed is abnormal and has different causes, and you need try to know the cause by the following:

- Align and balance your tyre and try in while on same speed.
- Check if you have loose tyre knots.
- Make sure you are using the right specification of tyre required manufacturer... Check drivers door to find out
- Reverse your front tyres and take the rear ones forward. Try on same speed again.

Your tyres may have lost the round circumference due to fake tyres purchase, worn tyre.

If it still persists, then it has to do with either weak linkage, bad bushing and most probably your bearing.

If it shakes when brake is held, check your brake pads and brake disc.

Sincerely I experienced it with my Honda Accord 2006 V6. I did wheel balance and exchanged the front tyres for the rear ones and it stopped.

Take it step after steps. Cheers
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by hentech911: 3:49pm On Nov 26, 2014
also check ur tyre for any bulge..
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by ezeizu: 9:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
Hello all. My steering also vibrates when I hit above 80 km/hr but stabilises when I exceed 120km/hr. I also feel the impact of gallops on my steering even at low speeds. My mechanic said there was no linkage rod in my car(Toyota avalon 2002) that it has been removed. Please do u go ahead to make the replacement. I am actually scared of allowing mechanics do a major change in my car. Please advise.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Oluabayomi1(m): 7:46pm On Feb 07, 2015
[quote
author=toba post=5120987]Im not a mechanic but can offer advice.What
may cause vibration at 100Km/hr or about,could be bad suspension i.e
upper/lower arm,tyrod,ball joint&faulty steering.If all these are
good replace 2front tyres to new not tokunbo,then do wheel balancing in a
very good place not road side petrol station.I did all these on May 1st
This yr&im enjoyin my accord till this night[/quote]
I agreed wt u broda coz mine(VW Vento) started vibrating 2weeks ago @a particular speed.D gd news is dt, i just changed my two front tyres wt Tokunbo n d vibration ceased.
God bless
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by jimcarry: 9:34am On Aug 09, 2016
You must contact to Locksmith working in Margate,they are much affordable and reliable for the problems regarding steering wheels.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by stephcruse(m): 11:06am On Aug 09, 2016
You guys are wonderful, you have make good points, you can go for a good aliment shop where they can inspect all your tyres and rims, let them also check suspension ,except your car has had an accident before now, I you should have solution to that problem. Good luck stephcruise autocare
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by faith2ogesco(m): 6:35pm On May 03, 2019
One simple test to determine if its your engine seating. Rev your car up in park mode. If the car vibrates, change your engine seating before continuing trouble shooting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Army Jeep Innoson Motors Produced / This Tiny Car For Wheelchair Users Costs 9 Million Naira / Arthur Eze Buys 2019 Roll Royce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.