Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) (78870 Views)

Coldest States In Nigeria / 12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by blackgold90(m): 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2018
Am from delta but the kind pidgin English when River State they speak when Nah bomb

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Alezy(m): 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2018
1Sharon:

Pidgin ain't a proper language mate
don't be deceived, this same delta is the only state u won't hear tribal intonations when its indigins speaks correct English.

U can't say same of the likes of hausas, Igbo's or Yorubas.

Did you know there was a pidgin English commentary on super sports all through the world cup? Pidgin English Is fast becoming part of our lingual franca here in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Amberon11: 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2018
Girl I am from Delta State and you can't know my state more than me. Look up the history of Pidgin and you'll see that it originated as a result of different ethnic groups not being able to understand each other hence needing a unifying language.

Delta State is one of the most ethnically diverse states in Nigeria with at least 6 different languages. Do you then expect these people to speak their languages to one another when they obviously wouldn't understand each other?
1Sharon:

I also know a few ppl from the same ethnic group in delta and they still choose to speak pidgin over their language. So all you all you wrote are excuses and you are being dishonest

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by UfuomaUN(m): 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
pidgin isn't good!

It destroys your proficiency in English. Should be utilized while typing? ... pretty cool

Spoken? should not be used at all unless you've run out of options.

Park well! how many Nigerians in the villages understand correct English

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Amberon11: 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2018
A fake trolling one tongue
justtoodark:

fvck you...am still urhobo....
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Alezy(m): 6:37pm On Jul 20, 2018
blackgold90:
Am from delta but the kind pidgin English when River State they speak when Nah bomb
their pidgin dey pain ear jor

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Produke(m): 6:38pm On Jul 20, 2018
Take vitafoam go sleep.Which pidgin Auchi and the whole Edo north de speak?Sapele and Warri alone lie dis ehh,cover d full Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Amberon11: 6:40pm On Jul 20, 2018
You know not what you're saying.
erico2k2:

Go and check very well, the best way to preserve a language is to speak it, what good is it to write down a language and it not spoken
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by chrisb2r200: 6:41pm On Jul 20, 2018
Amberon11:
Girl I am from Delta State and you can't know my state more than me. Look up the history of Pidgin and you'll see that it originated as a result of different ethnic groups not being able to understand each other hence needing a unifying language.

Delta State is one of the most ethnically diverse states in Nigeria with at least 6 different languages. Do you then expect these people to speak their languages to one another when they obviously wouldn't understand each other?
Make una ignore that Sharon ...NA small fish....I guess she nor go pass 18 years....all this "small gals with big God"...in delta even when u say 6 or so languages ..amongst thes six ..the languages are further diversified ..that u barely understand each other..... I sure say d Sharon nor fit stand me for proper English....#irepdelta!

3 Likes

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Sinistami(m): 6:42pm On Jul 20, 2018
Alezy:
don't be deceived, this same delta is the only state u won't hear tribal intonations when its indigins speaks correct English.

U can't say same of the likes of hausas, Igbo's or Yorubas.

Did you know there was a pidgin English commentary on super sports all through the world cup? Pidgin English Is fast becoming part of our lingual franca here in Nigeria.

It's not the only state Portharcourt and Yenagoa also Lagos people who don't speak Yoruba too has that characteristic.
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by AsapKen(m): 6:43pm On Jul 20, 2018
From Alaka junction to ekpan afa
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Adefemiaderoju1: 6:45pm On Jul 20, 2018
Thank God say Na only Lagos dey from all the south west state we are proudly Yoruba, we are proud of our language we don't want any foreign language to come dominate our language, culture etc.

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by blackgold90(m): 6:46pm On Jul 20, 2018
Alezy:
their pidgin dey pain ear jor

Yes.... E deY make person laugh.... When I went there the always like me to talk because they enjoyed Warri langua

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by GistFullGround: 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2018
KangaIye:

You no fit compare Language Wey dey Edo with Dialect Wey full Yoruba.

You well so?
Delta wey get Asaba Igbo, Agbor Igbo, Ndokwa Igbo, Urhobo, Ijaw, Itsekiri, Isoko etc

Edo, get Bini, Emai (People from Owan) Afemai & Akoko. All these dialects when you speak am everybody dey understand. You no fit speak Urhobo and Asaba man go understand.

Just like Ijebu Yoruba, Ibadan Yoruba, Oyo Yoruba, Lagos Yoruba, Ekiti Yoruba, Od=ndo Yoruba etc. If dem speak, all yorubas dey understand.

So which one be Delta own?
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1Sharon(f): 6:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
Amberon11:

My comment went over ur head. I am not talking about the different tribes trying to communicate with each other. I am talking about ppl within the same tribes talking and still preferring to speak pidgin. I see it a lot in ppl from delta.
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1Sharon(f): 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2018
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1Sharon(f): 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2018
GistFullGround:

You well so?
Delta wey get Asaba Igbo, Agbor Igbo, Ndokwa Igbo, Urhobo, Ijaw, Itsekiri, Isoko etc

Edo, get Bini, Emai (People from Owan) Afemai & Akoko. All these dialects when you speak am everybody dey understand. You no fit speak Urhobo and Asaba man go understand.

Just like Ijebu Yoruba, Ibadan Yoruba, Oyo Yoruba, Lagos Yoruba, Ekiti Yoruba, Od=ndo Yoruba etc. If dem speak, all yorubas dey understand.

My friend, you guys still prefer to speak pidgin/English when you have a bunch of ppl from the same ethnicity in delta
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by GistFullGround: 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2018
Amberon11:

Girl, you no know nada, because dat no be reason people dey speak am!!!
I sure say you be girl wey dem born between 1985-1997

People also know Pidgin English as Broken English.
After the craze people from Europe enter Naija through Warri, in the name of Christianity, dem dey speak English to people from Warri reach Benin but the people no sabi speak am back so they come to speak am as dem like, that's why it's broken English.

Pidgin English na him people of old dey use to communicate with the English people or Europeans, especially Portuguese wey enter from sea.

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by johnmattew: 6:57pm On Jul 20, 2018
UNIBENDON:
Dem no know!

Who no go no know!

If you like be Professor for Edo state,if you no sabi Pidgin,you be correct obote!
hehe...me wey dey use pidgin brush teeth.....u don hear where Edo man wey school for uniben no sabi yarn pidgin?

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1Sharon(f): 6:59pm On Jul 20, 2018
Amberon11:

Lol you don't even the history on how pidgin originated lol.So much dishonesty
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by UNIBENDON: 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2018
1Sharon:

Why did you bring Fela into this convo? What's ur point.
It's not just about language. You lot mostly bear English names too.

Beautiful languages but you don't want to speak it
Fela na real ofrukpe nigga dat very year because say him sabi yan Pidgin and most of him songs na for Pidgin.

Most of us sabi speak our ancestors language but na within nuclear family and extended family but immediately we dey outside na FULL Pidgin we go dey nak or speak.

Na so we dey also dey answer our indigenous names.
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by RexTramadol1: 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2018
fratermathy:
Akwa Ibom nor follow at all for this matter. Na only Ibibio and good English dem dey yarn here. Dey nor sabi catapult pidgin at all. Even the small ones wey open eye for the matter sef nor sabi am wella. Their pidgin dey sound like good English mixed with Ibibio.

As for Anambra, na Igbo dey reign for there. Pidgin nor too follow. Na only for Onitsha dem dey speak small pidgin based on Asaba influence and based on say strangers boku for there. So Onitsha nor too follow up. Even Asaba sef, na Waffarians dey spoil that town. Normally, na Igbo dem dey yarn but Waffi boys don change am follow them. Some Asaba people don even get Warri tongue now sef.

For Bayelsa matter ehn, Yenagoa na correct pidgin area. The people wey get the town na Epie/Atissa dem dey speak normally but Izon people and Ogbia people plenty for the cabal so na pidgin naim dem take dey control their matters for there.

Lalasticlala and Seun, how una see this thread na? E nor suppose to loss like that. Make dem reason the matter na.

Guy u sabi Bayelsa wella

For Ogbia.....dem dey tear pidgin like say Na pillow case.

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1Sharon(f): 7:02pm On Jul 20, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:
Thank God say Na only Lagos dey from all the south west state we are proudly Yoruba, we are proud of our language we don't want any foreign language to come dominate our language, culture etc.

And the only reason Lagos is there is because Lagos is cosmopolitan and it's people from other cultures that speak pidgin hardly yorubas

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by UNIBENDON: 7:03pm On Jul 20, 2018
I too like Erigga Pidgin English raps,dat guy na correct living legend!
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1Sharon(f): 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
UNIBENDON:
Fela na real ofrukpe nigga dat very year because say him sabi yan Pidgin and most of him songs na for Pidgin.

Most of us sabi speak our ancestors language but na within nuclear family and extended family but immediately we dey outside na FULL Pidgin we go dey nak or speak.

Na so we dey also dey answer our indigenous names

Lies at the bolded.

And what was the reason for Fela speaking pidgin? Wasn't it to get across to other ethnicities? Yorubas hardly speak pidgin to each other. It's odd.
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by KangaIye: 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
GistFullGround:

Them no be the same. All the Yoruba dialect wet u list so, all of them names Yoruba dem be but those Edo and Deltans no dey hear demself if them talk.

You well so?

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by UNIBENDON: 7:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
johnmattew:
hehe...me wey dey use pidgin brush teeth.....u don hear where Edo man wey school for uniben no sabi yarn pidgin?
You sabi d OT!
Edo man na worldwide orientation we get na im make us no dey rigid or dull.
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by 1930revival(m): 7:15pm On Jul 20, 2018
Obiaruku..
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by justtoodark: 7:23pm On Jul 20, 2018
Amberon11:
A fake trolling one tongue

i can still mess you up in urhobo.....
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by UNIBENDON: 7:23pm On Jul 20, 2018
1Sharon:

Lies at the bolded.

And what was the reason for Fela speaking pidgin? Wasn't it to get across to other ethnicities? Yorubas hardly speak pidgin to each other. It's odd.

Certain ethnicities want to mock Yorubas but they should be taking notes
You dey controversial!

Just check out d names of d current Edo governor,2 of im 3 names na Edo ones and im sabi fluent Bini(Edo),English and Pidgin English. Na so Patrick Obahiagbon sabi Edo,Pidgin and English.

Fela no dey rigid na im make am sabi d Pidgin yans. Most Hausa and Yoruba dey very rigid to learn Pidgin English.

Na matter di weight of elephant eno fit cause earthquake!
Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by vspecial(m): 7:24pm On Jul 20, 2018
Wey e com to pidgin English matta people dey quick tuk sey na warri dey kari first. Dis na haw I si di matta; wey e com to pidgin wey clear and free from slangs na Edo carry first, but for di one wey dem dey speak wit many slangs inside na waffi version top. The waffi version Nor go fit qualify for official 'status' if dem take di language Mata reach dat level, e go always remain on di street.

The one wey sure pass na pidgin for Edo. Any pidgin wey go ever get official status na di one wey go dey clear across many people even among people wey nor sabi am well.
So make we try si am as e bi , pidgin wit slangs and pidgin wit out slangs.

1 Like

Re: 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) by Amberon11: 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2018
Nope...if you're not that good at it like you said then trust me I can school you at it.
justtoodark:

i can still mess you up in urhobo.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Professor Pius Adesanmi Dies In Ethiopia Airlines Plane Crash - John O. Oba / Akwa Ibom And Europe Standard Of Road Na 5&6 .. Photos / Train Goes Through The Centre Of A 19-storey Block Of Flats In China(photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.