Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? (7856 Views)

500 Nigerians Deported From The UK Arrive Lagos / 4 Ways To Keep Your Car Safe When Travelling / Calabar Monorail Coaches Arrive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by koolchicco: 5:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

Infact, where is Ogidi-boy and Mama-gee, please i am begging, COME AND CONTINUE YOUR FULL TIME JOB AS THREADS DERAILIERS grin grin grin grin grin

na beg i dey beg una now, this thread is not worth it embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

ROFL grin grin
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 5:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
koolchicco:

ROFL grin grin

embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by etaurus(m): 5:26pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nigeria is not as black as people paint it @ Poster
Please feel free
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 5:38pm On Dec 17, 2009
hang on. when did nigeria become an eldorado?
just because an "akatarian" sought advice on NL and all the bad belle people that have struggled all their lives to travel overseas have ganged up on him. all these peasants sef wink
@ poster
please take precaution when coming to naija. the fact that you are from overseas will make you an atractive target to numerous hoodlums. dress simple, dont show off in appearance, words or behaviour. make your movements unpredicatble, tell hardly anyone where you are putting up. dont use expensive gadgets mobile phones etc.
prevention is better than cure. "life no get duplicate". its better to err on the side of caution.
meanwhile enjoys yourself this christmas.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Lolladey(f): 6:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
please get urself a phone called nokia "oniwo", (horn) it is an old phone and therefore it comes very cheap.another thing is that u make sure that u do not bring clothes into the country but u can come in ur boxers and any free size cheap shirt that u have. dont dare with money cos u might end up being kidnapped once people get to know that u came into the country with as much as 5,000 naira. good luck to u
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Parohfrey(f): 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
@Poster

Carry a gun wherever you go.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by emeke123(m): 7:23pm On Dec 17, 2009
This is a good topic. I have been in the yankee for over 10years and have not been back since. I eventually plan on comming back some time in the near future. I heard Naija don change ever since I comot but how do a person like me get to fit in once more. My accent has changed, looks, behavior, etc.

I love naija but my fear is not being attacked by robbers but trying to fit in. Please keep the advice comming.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 7:30pm On Dec 17, 2009
Paroh_frey:

@Poster

Carry a gun wherever you go.
you well
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by mamagee3(f): 7:30pm On Dec 17, 2009
OgidiBoy:

***ogidiboy comes back into the thread looking for mama-gee to wound for disrespecting a grown MAN****

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

*Mama-gee sights him and gives him a karate kick out of the thread* angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by kpofkpof: 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2009
emeke_123:

This is a good topic. I have been in the yankee for over 10years and have not been back since. I eventually plan on comming back some time in the near future. I heard Naija don change ever since I comot but how do a person like me get to fit in once more. My accent has changed, looks, behavior, etc.

I love naija but my fear is not being attacked by robbers but trying to fit in. Please keep the advice comming.

angry sad some people sef!!!
Jack Bauer is still alive, you can come with him and scofield.

nonsense, your accent has changed ko, your accent has changed ni. Abeg go siddon
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by emeke123(m): 9:31pm On Dec 17, 2009
kpofkpof:

angry sad some people sef!!!
Jack Bauer is still alive, you can come with him and scofield.

nonsense, your accent has changed ko, your accent has changed ni. Abeg go siddon

LOL. got to luv your response. grin
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
People,people. Yes,you are right. Nigeria is very very unsafe and nigerians can snatch the very shirt off your back. But i have various protection packages. Not very expensive. My amulet will make you invisible to all kidnappers and thieves. And even your bling-bling will not bling in their eyes so you will be very very safe. Just call me. I do home delivery. I have crash protection. So if your plane crash,it will keep you safe and unharmed. As for those that want to 'fit in' i have a two hour crash program for you too. At a very affordable price. So just call me. Anytime,anyday. I am at your service.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by touchmeder: 10:01pm On Dec 17, 2009
the only reason people like poster run into problem is their mindset. ur mind is full of negativity its most likely to hit you
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by shilling(f): 10:07pm On Dec 17, 2009
I'm usually more concerned about mosquitoes than my safety. Make sure you get your vaccines before travelling. I guess it goes without saying that you shouldnt walk around at night and during the day time, if possible move around with someone who knows the city. Wont be able to help if you're travelling to rural areas but I guess it's basically the same. Common sense goes a long way.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by orisebawo(m): 10:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
@Poster,

You are so funny, how can you stay safe in America, i guess you dont go around waving a gun in peoples faces in the states since you and i know what will happen. To stay safe in Nigeria you need to use your common sense as you would in any part of the world, the fact that you have quoted a $450 watch and mobile phone gives me the impression you actually want to be noticed, but you will be dissappointed as your prized assets dont really rank amongst the expensive stuff .

I came back from naija two weeks ago and i was there during the sallah break , you can never dress better than a naija babe/guy because efiziness belongs to lagos, maybe if you dress like you want to be noticed with all the bling bling face cap and really looking out of place with the annoying accent, then maybe to teach you a lesson they will collect everything you have on and leave you with your boxers shorts.

You never know your prized phone might be tagged "pure water"

i travellled by air to Abuja and back and the flight was fine.

There is nothing you take to naija that will blow there minds

It is sad that you think naija is so poor that they will rub you of your $450 watch or phone.

Almost everyone i met had a blackberry and they even showed me some features on mine that i didnt know existed.

Just keep your cool, dont start quoting the law to police at checkpoints and you will be fine
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 10:11pm On Dec 17, 2009
touchmeder:

the only reason people like poster run into problem is their mindset. your mind is full of negativity its most likely to hit you
If you like fill your mind with positivity or electric current. It does not change the fact on ground that Nigeria is one of the most dangerous place to live on earth; that has been confirmed by various international research.
Everyone returning from overseas should ignore the comments of the several immature minds here. Dont throw caution to the wind. You have suffered too much for your money; so you deserve the much needed break you came to naija for.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 10:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
@ orisebawo

You talk as if everywhere in naija is lagos and abuja. During your trip to Nigeria, did you visit warri, benin, the eastern states, ph, bayelsa, the list goes on.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Beaf: 10:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
You have little to fear. I'm in between Lagos and Warri this period, just came in as well. There are a thousand and one places to go in both places where you can chill out with pals peppersouping and suyaing into the night. There are night clubs. . .
Come home and flex to the max dude, just make sure you are always in an area where your flexing ain't out of place (only kres man go flex for Oshodi grin).
Nigeria is sweet, everybody is so damn happy.

People will always be able to pick you out wherever you go (na only you go dey sweat for night wen cold dey catch oda pipul), so you need some modicum of common sense in your appearance and speech, above all, when you want to buy something like oranges, remember it is NAIRA, don't ask how many dollars for one orange; na bringing out be dat.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by emeke123(m): 10:14pm On Dec 17, 2009
orisebawo:

@Poster,

You are so funny, how can you stay safe in America, i guess you dont go around waving a gun in peoples faces in the states since you and i know what will happen. To stay safe in Nigeria you need to use your common sense as you would in any part of the world, the fact that you have quoted a $450 watch and mobile phone gives me the impression you actually want to be noticed, but you will be dissappointed as your prized assets dont really rank amongst the expensive stuff .

I came back from naija two weeks ago and i was there during the sallah break , you can never dress better than a naija babe/guy because efiziness belongs to lagos, maybe if you dress like you want to be noticed with all the bling bling face cap and really looking out of place with the annoying accent, then maybe to teach you a lesson they will collect everything you have on and leave you with your boxers shorts.

You never know your prized phone might be tagged "pure water"

i travellled by air to Abuja and back and the flight was fine.

There is nothing you take to naija that will blow there minds

It is sad that you think naija is so poor that they will rub you of your $450 watch or phone.

Almost everyone i met had a blackberry and they even showed me some features on mine that i didnt know existed.

Just keep your cool, dont start quoting the law to police at checkpoints and you will be fine

I think you hit the nail on the head. this post should cover it all.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Beaf: 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2009
snowdrops:

@ orisebawo

You talk as if everywhere in naija is lagos and abuja. During your trip to Nigeria, did you visit warri, benin, the eastern states, ph, bayelsa, the list goes on.

Na so una go dey talk nonesense. No be Wafi I dey?
I bet you have never visited Warri in your life. angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by orisebawo(m): 10:28pm On Dec 17, 2009
@ Snowdrop,

Do you expect me to visit all the 36 states of the country to answer the question, the poster asked for anyone that had visited nigeria recently.

yes i visited warri as you can tell from my name it is the first place i will visit.

I dont think there is need to refer to any " immature minds", you have a right to give your advice without putting anyone down.

no one has said you should throw caution to the wind and please how much money are we talking about and is he going to be moving around with his life savings?.

Lets be realistic Nigeria might be the worst place to live according to international research, so what is the result of your own research?

Dont get carried away, we all want Nigeria to be better but dont rub it in by protraying us to be very bad.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 10:31pm On Dec 17, 2009
Beaf:

Na so una go dey talk nonesense. No be Wafi I dey?
I bet you have never visited Warri in your life. angry
Beaf beaf.
You are now on travel section vomitting your usual nonsense.
The village slowpoke has been found
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Beaf: 10:35pm On Dec 17, 2009
snowdrops:

Beaf beaf.
I am now on travel section vomitting my usual nonsense.
I am the village slowpoke come and save me.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

Ode.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 10:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
orisebawo:

@ Snowdrop,

Do you expect me to visit the all 36 states of the country to answer the question, the poster asked for anyone that had visited nigeria recently.

yes i visited warri as you can tell from my name it is the first place i will visit.

I dont think there is need to refer to any " immature minds", you have a right to give your advice without putting anyone down.

no one has said you should throw caution to the wind and please how much money are we talking about and is he going to be moving around with his life savings?.

Lets be realistic Nigeria might be the worst place to live according to international research, so what is the result of your own research?

Dont get carried away, we all want Nigeria to be better but dont rub it in by protraying us to be very bad.

This is not about portraying Nigeria better or worse.
There is miles of difference between optimism and realism. You be the former and i the latter.
Look there is no where in the world that is crime free, but the frequency, severity, audacity and deterance is where Nigeria struggles.
Take Benin which turns into a ghost town after 7pm. Only the brave or stupid stays out later than that time.
A friends neighbour was attacked by armed robbers few weeks ago. The hoodlums were operating for over one hour. No one dared interven. A 15 yr old girl was raped and killed. The poilce were called and as usual they had no bullets/petrol. We all know this things. For now you are enjoying your swim in the sea of denial. Becareful not to drown though.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 10:41pm On Dec 17, 2009
Beaf we all know you now. Na tolerate we dey tolerate you.
Afterall your cage for Ibadan zoo still dey empty.
When you ready, tell the porter to give you your night meds.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Beaf: 10:52pm On Dec 17, 2009
snowdrops:

Beaf we all know you now. Na tolerate we dey tolerate you.
Afterall your cage for Ibadan zoo still dey empty.
When you ready, tell the porter to give you your night meds.

What is that meant to be? Another threat?
Sorry, you can't know who I am. I can sign on as who I like, identities are a dime to the dozen.

You people think you own the World and power is to be abused. Believe me, it really isn't clever.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by greateliso(m): 11:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
@ poster u were given wrong information about the New Nigeria of Today. please make a re-THINK
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Fonewhiz: 11:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
I dey laugh so tey,  so tey, so tey, so tey,  how do u xpect a pakorian to behave wen he suddenly becomes a butterian. where da'heck is the poster coming from anyway? And wat makes him think dat he's bettr dan Ajegunle boys? U cannot yahoo your way out of Naija and feel reluctant to fall back in! hahaha!! grin grin grin
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 11:14pm On Dec 17, 2009
If home is too dangerous for you to come to, please stay where you are. no one will miss you.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by kokoye(m): 11:25pm On Dec 17, 2009
Unfortunately, this poster sounds like he wants to show off when he gets to naija - so he's most likely bound to be robbed.

Whether we accept it or not, Nigeria is an unsafe country for anyone - diasporian or not.

Coming from abroad, there are places you will go to in Nigeria and you will look like a poor man and there are also places where you'll go and you'll be the local champion.

There is so much wealth in Nigeria but is it only accessible to less than 5% of the population - the remaining 95% do anything to survive, some including stealing.

You'll go into clubs with all your foreign cash and you cannot even afford a glass of wine in Nigeria - there is so much pressure to be rich and oppress like several people are oppresed daily in Lagos. that's why there will always be stealing in that country.

If you keep ur head down you will be fine. but if you are trying to be a star, you will come back broke and penniless. Cos you will not be able keep up with Lagosians when spending money. And the remaining masses you can afford to oppress will steal your money.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by slimes(m): 11:30pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nigeria is not that bad!
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 11:59pm On Dec 17, 2009
Beaf:

What is that meant to be? Another threat?
Sorry, you can't know who I am. I can sign on as who I like, identities are a dime to the dozen.

You people think you own the World and power is to be abused. Believe me, it really isn't clever.
Yet again you have started your gibberish. What threat? Who cares who you are or the cave you live in.
Your problem is in your craze to make as many posts as possible on the boards you have completely lost the plot on this one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Loses 11.8 Million Naira To US Immigration / How Do I Get To Ogudu GRA From Egbeda / First Hotel In Mars By Elon Musk Is Set To Open Soon At $5 Million Per Night (SE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.