Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,360 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? (2375 Views)

Man Who Married 2 Wives In Order To Have A Male Child Now Has 6 Daughters. Photo / My Wife Saved A Male Number With A Female Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Braggante(m): 1:21pm On Mar 08, 2017
I am not a Sexist. But am I wrong to be uncomfortable seeing a male teacher in my daughters crèche? I need advise please parents, because I am about to raise the issue with the school administration.
Please note: parents aren't allowed in the school area, rather you wait at the reception while a teacher goes in to bring your child. They say it's for security reasons, and even though that isn't a very compelling argument, we accept, without adequately knowing what goes on in the classes.
Today, I left work midday to pick my daughter, I walked in straight without notifying the receptionist, only to find a man (rough looking man, I might add) taking care of the children, majority of them being girls.

Is this right? Or should I have reasons to be concerned?
Please advise.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by brandonobi(m): 1:36pm On Mar 08, 2017
u feel alarmed bcus he's a man and a man in your mind would be dangerous to your child, but all the same if he has been taking care of kids all along then don't be alarmed
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Mimzyy(f): 1:36pm On Mar 08, 2017
I will definitely raise an alarm immediately. I feel it is not right. Why on earth will a male be assigned to a creche?

To crown it, the parents were not even notified of an addition to the members of staff. Iru kileleyi

8 Likes

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Braggante(m): 1:42pm On Mar 08, 2017
brandonobi:
u feel alarmed bcus he's a man and a man in your mind would be dangerous to your child, but all the same if he has been taking care of kids all along then don't be alarmed

It's her second week there. When we first visited the school, we met a lady who said they are three women who mind the children. But now seeing a man, without the initial woman there...I don't know.
Besides The kids there are barely 2 and can't report what happens in their class.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by babythug(f): 1:45pm On Mar 08, 2017
You should feel concerned and raise it with the school admin. Try to get the buy in of other parents too!!!

For practical reasons males wouldn't ordinarily care for toddlers and children who would need thier privates exposed from time to time eg to use the loo/ have diapers changed.

Not that there are no female molesters but the percentages are way lower, with women carers likely issues will be abusing the child by beating or not feeding as at when due type of stuff

I feel any school that isn't able to let parents into where their children are being cared for directly is engaging in practises they know they shouldn't be doing!

Pay more surprise visits if you can to the Creche henceforth and kick up a fuss on the matter please

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Braggante(m): 1:52pm On Mar 08, 2017
babythug:
You should feel concerned and raise it with the school admin. Try to get the buy in of other parents too!!!

For practical reasons males wouldn't ordinarily care for toddlers and children who would need thier privates exposed from time to time eg to use the loo/ have diapers changed.

Not that there are no female molesters but the percentages are way lower, with women carers likely issues will be abusing the child by beating or not feeding as at when due type of stuff

I feel any school that isn't able to let parents into where their children are being cared for directly is engaging in practises they know they shouldn't be doing!

Pay more surprise visits if you can to the Creche henceforth and kick up a fuss on the matter please

Thank you very much. My thoughts exactly. I didn't want to mention the issue of molestation because that might be going too far. And good affordable crèches are hard to find. But with things we see these days, One can't be too careful. I think I will speak with the headmistress about it.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by brandonobi(m): 1:59pm On Mar 08, 2017
Braggante:

It's her second week there. When we first visited the school, we met a lady who said they are three women who mind the children. But now seeing a man, without the initial woman there...I don't know.
Besides The kids there are barely 2 and can't report what happens in their class.
I don't know what else to say, but if u fill more comfortable with a woman minding ur kid then no problem, I just wonder what he would think bout all this, but still ur choice, no one would blame u for wanting ur child's safety
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by babythug(f): 3:00pm On Mar 08, 2017
brandonobi:
I don't know what else to say, but if u fill more comfortable with a woman minding ur kid then no problem, I just wonder what he would think bout all this, but still ur choice, no one would blame u for wanting ur child's safety

I've learnt that it's better to go with your instincts and gut feelings when it comes to doing right by your children. It's better to be safe than sorry irrespective of what a third party may say or feel!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by babythug(f): 11:35am On Mar 09, 2017
@OP do update us so that others too can learn.

Did you speak with the school admin? What's the situation now? Are you able to spring another surprise on them today?

Cheers
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by uyiekpenm(f): 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2017
OP please make a formal report to the management of the crèche.
no matter how free minded we would like to be, it is not ok for a man that is not related to be handling kids of that age.
personally I would not be comfortable with that arrangement. most kids of that age are still on diapers, so you can imagine if that man need
s to change it.

the days are evil.

this is my opinion as a mother oh.

hian male teacher in a crèche.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 09, 2017
Better to be safe than sorry so no, particularly given Nigeria's molestation proclivity
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Jahblessme: 7:41pm On Mar 09, 2017
I don't have issues with males in creches.Males also have a right to do whatever jobs which suit them

Molesters abound in male and female form.

However if you are not.comfy,take your child.out asap for your own peace of mind

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 09, 2017
Please don't wait until the male teacher molests your daughters o.

Either the man is replaced with a female or your child is placed in a new creche.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 10, 2017
I'm a Professional Teacher.
I can tell you vividly that there are many male staff that can take care of the little children even MORE than a Mother

once its his profession and he can deliver well, Sis you have nothing to worry about.

There is a major Educational course in the University that both female and male student studied.

ECCE (Early childhood care Education)

Except you have a complain then you can meet the Management

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by megareal: 9:26am On Mar 10, 2017
Sometimes, males even understand these little darlings more than the female. But the current world we live in isn't conducive for taking chances.

If you feel even the slightest frission of alarm, please alert the school and ask for his removal. Get other parents to support too.

Most times instincts is all we need to prevent a terrible future occurence.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by NL1960: 9:31am On Mar 10, 2017
OP, raise this issue with the management and if they refuse to replace the male teacher, i will advise you look for another creche. There are certain jobs that are better handled by females and there are certain jobs that are better handled by males. Even if you are told that he has been replaced, you will need to pay another unscheduled visit to the creche to confirm.

People saying that there is nothing wrong with it are like saying that there is nothing wrong in a male being the boarding house master of a girls boarding school or girls boarding hostel and vice versa.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by eyinjuege: 9:35am On Mar 10, 2017
Lizzyangel:
I'm a Professional Teacher.
I can tell you vividly that there are many male staff that can take care of the little children even MORE than a Mother

once its his profession and he can deliver well, Sis you have nothing to worry about.

There is a major Educational course in the University that both female and male student studied.

ECCE (Early childhood care Education)

Except you have a complain then you can meet the Management

Don't be surprised that in a bid to cut costs, the person involved might just be a primary school certificate holder since he's not going to be teaching the 2 year olds anything serious.
Not all schools employ qualified people for the job
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Bism(m): 9:44am On Mar 10, 2017
I dont know why females think that all or most men are pervert. From my observation recently i also fear women on issue of sexuality because they have very shocking desires that they hide from people. After all when i was at college women do wash our convience and no incidence was ever recorded during my stay there

1 Like

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by LewsTherin: 9:50am On Mar 10, 2017
I have no issue with the sex of care givers in a creche. However, keeping parents away from where the kids are being kept is a major red flag. I will not accept that under any conditions.

I remember when I had to place my daughter in creche. I ade it a point to show up unexpected and unannounced at random times. They new that. And I am sure it led to better care of my daughter.

Male or no-male, not a problem. But keeping you out, that should be a deal breaker. For that reason, get your kid out.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by NL1960: 10:01am On Mar 10, 2017
Bism:
I dont know why females think that all or most men are pervert. From my observation recently i also fear women on issue of sexuality because they have very shocking desires that they hide from people. After all when i was at college women do wash our convience and no incidence was ever recorded during my stay there

There is a difference between college and creche. In addition, there is also a difference between washing of convience in a college and taking care of a creche of 2 year old female kids. Were the women washing the convience in your college also bathing you or cleaning you up when you poopoo?. Btw, how old were those women that were washing your college convience?.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by joliefille(f): 7:43pm On Mar 10, 2017
@OP, is the crèche a girls only crèche? So it's ok for female teachers to change boys but wrong for male teachers to change girls?

Most crèche classrooms and changing rooms are usually semi open and not places that are hidden and could give anyone enough privacy to molest children.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Mar 11, 2017
eyinjuege:

Don't be surprised that in a bid to cut costs, the person involved might just be a primary school certificate holder since he's not going to be teaching the 2 year olds anything serious.
Not all schools employ qualified people for the job

is the school located in a rural area? if NO, there is no standard school that will employ an ssce holder, except the school is not yet approved . especially Lagos where Bsc is begging to teach primary section just to make ends meet
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by YourCoffin: 4:31pm On Mar 11, 2017
Avoid putting yout kid in a creche. Problem solved...
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Adeemi2(f): 7:54pm On Mar 11, 2017
I feel it is not appropriate and you need to be concerned. In this generation that we are, you cannot just trust anybody. Express your concern to the school authority and if nothing is done, please, take your daughter to another creche.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by tabithababy(f): 7:11am On Mar 12, 2017
Op, abeg raise the issue. So many demons around undecided
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by kazyhm(m): 7:48am On Mar 12, 2017
Don't be misandric op

It is very good to care about your child and who takes care of s/he

I think you re just being unfair or should i say irrational

Its a creche for that matter abi is there a creche school for daughters only ?

Just relax man, that creche should contain daughters and sons

I still don't understand why you think male can't handle such class......

I advice you take your child to somewhere else if there are other geneine issues with the school not this baseless and myopic phobia of yours
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by dangotesmummy: 9:12am On Mar 12, 2017
Haaaa there's everything wrong with it .the first question that will raise my phobia is
1.IF YOU DONT WANT PARENTS TO ENTER When a male minder was employed WHY WASN'T I INFORMED TO KNOW WHO TAKES CARE OF MY KIDS BEHIND MY BACK
2.WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT AT THE RECEPTION. SO I CANNOT SEE MY KID AGAIN ON TOP OF MY MONEY THAT I PAID AND ON TOP OF MY CHILD?
3.IS THE MALE MINDER THE ONLY PERSON TAKING CARE OF MY CHILD OR THERR ARE OTHER WOMEN THERE?
4.IS IT THE MALE MINDER THAT WILL FEED MY CHILD,ROCK HER TO SLEEP,TAKE HER TO THE TOILET AND OFF her PANTS WITHOUT ANYTHING VIBRATING IN HIS BOXERS
5.HOW AM I SURE YOUR STAFFS ESPECIALLY THE MALES AREN'T PEDOPHILES WHO DO NASTY STUFFS TO KIDS WHEN EYES AREN'T AROUND

WE LIVE IN A VERY DANGEROUS WORLD WITH ANIMALS LURKING AROUND PARADING AS HUMANS so I will not take any risks with my child if these questions aren't answered SATISFACTORILY especially in this part of the world where any small carelessness or looseness by a parent will bring avoidable trouble for the child and the mother and no one will give a damn

Call me paranoid,sexist,whatever, I don't care.your opinions are completely irrelevant when my kids are at stake here undecided
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 12, 2017
Mimzyy:
I will definitely raise an alarm immediately. I feel it is not right. Why on earth will a male be assigned to a creche?

To crown it, the parents were not even notified of an addition to the members of staff. Iru kileleyi

The scope of your imagination is severely limited.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 12, 2017
Gender discrimination in its most ugliest form.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by byvan03: 9:24am On Mar 12, 2017
I don't care for political correctness, no male, molester or not will baby sit a girl child for me. Better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by aameyah(f): 9:37am On Mar 12, 2017
Change that creche.
Re: Is It Acceptable To Have A Male Teacher In A Crèche? by juman(m): 12:59pm On Mar 12, 2017
I think background checking is necessary for a male to work around children.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Save Your Mother's Number In Your Phone? / What Would You Do If You Discover That Your 13 Year Old Sister Is Pregnant? / Enjoy Ileya Promo Price With Your Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.