Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:52 PM

How To Prepare Oha Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare Oha Soup (2174 Views)

How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) / How To Prepare Oha Soup / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare Oha Soup by pcei: 6:39pm On Mar 08, 2017
Oha soup is a traditional dish for the South East regions of Nigeria. It`s similar to the bitter leaf soup, but the crucial element of Oha soup recipe is
the Ora leaves. Ora leaves make the soup very special as they are seasonal, unlike the bitter leaf which you can find all the year around.

How to cook Oha soup?

It`s almost unbelievable that one simple ingredient can make so much difference in the soup. Nevertheless, it`s true; the Ora leaves can entirely change the taste of the soup.

Oha Soup Ingredients:

•One teaspoon of Ogiri Igbo
•Two Stock Cubes
•Crayfish, salt and Chilli pepper to taste
•Stock Fish or Dry Fish
•Assorted beef
•Three cooking spoons of Red Palm Oil
•Eight Small corms cocoyam
•Ora Leaves

Preparation of Oha Leaves:

Oha is a unique vegetable that can`t be
substituted in the Oha soup recipe. If you don`t have cocoyam corms, then you can
substitute it with cocoyam flour or potato flour.

Ogiri Igbo is optional in this recipe. Still, it adds the traditional taste to Oha Soup!

Set up your cooking:

•Grind Chili pepper and crayfish in the separate bowl.
•Wash and Boil the Cocoyam until it`s soft. The Corms should be pound into the paste.
•Cut Ora leaves into tiny pieces with your fingers!

Oha soup cooking directions:

•How to cook Oha soup?
•Boil the cow tripe (shaki).
•Stockfish and dry it in the one litre of water.
•Wash the Beef and add it to the pot with the cow tripe. When the meat is done, you can add two stock cubes and continue cooking for five minutes.
•Add the Cray Fish, Ogiri Igbo and Chili pepper and cook for ten minutes.
•Add the cocoyam paste and palm oil.
•Cover the pot and cook the soup until the
cocoyam paste vanishes. You can add more water if the soup is too thick.
•Add Ora leaves and cook for five minutes.
•Add salt to taste.

The Oha soup is ready!
You can serve it with Pounded Yam, Amala, Semolina Fufu, Gari or Cassava Fufu.

2 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Oha Soup by adadike281(f): 11:26am On Mar 09, 2017
well done op, while cooking oha, I prefer using palm fruit or akwu to red oil and while shopping for ogiri, I do ask d seller to untie it so that I can view and sometimes taste what am buying coz ogiri and crayfish bu na ofe di uso.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oha Soup by Enoquin(f): 2:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
I prefer the adusa/ozuza leaves for my Oha oh.
Correct Oha soup with goatmeat and stockfish is bae
Re: How To Prepare Oha Soup by jospepper(m): 4:00pm On Mar 09, 2017
I am definitely going to try this out this Sunday.
Re: How To Prepare Oha Soup by 50shot(m): 9:24pm On Mar 10, 2017
nice recipe.......checkout this app,lots of recipes nd description included.a must have f https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glaanceafrique.nigeriancuisines
Re: How To Prepare Oha Soup by Chillext(m): 9:15am On Mar 13, 2017
you dey learn,

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Order Your Dry Ponmo Ijebu / I Just Killed My 3 Year Hunt (picks Attached).. Huge Enough For A Great Soup / Nile Place Restaurant Abuja Formally Le' Toile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.