Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Juat Alone By PEN - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Juat Alone By PEN (356 Views)

The Alpha Maze By PEN / The Letter (part 1 And Part 2) By PEN / The Evil Girl (flash-fiction ) By Pen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Juat Alone By PEN by Palmernuel(m): 10:49pm On Mar 08, 2017
JUST ALONE
It was Friday again and as you know, Mrs. Flora would be visiting, that day the rain fell till it was evening, though the rain was not that heavy I thought Mrs. Flora would not come. I was indoor throughout that day.
I was eating at about 5pm when I heard a knock at the door.
“Come in” I said, to my surprise I saw Mrs. Flora walking in.
“Oh! I thought you didn’t come” I said putting a spoon of beans in my mouth
“You know I would always come” she said as she sat on the chair
“I know you will, but the rain” I said
“We have been working inside the rain, it’s just a shower anyway” she said
“Do you mind joining me?” I asked, she stood up and took the spoon and ate out of it, then she sat back still chew her mouth.
“I never knew you can cook” she said.
“How will I survive if I don’t cook” I said.
“Well it’s delicious, I think I should have some” she said standing up to take another spoon
“It all yours, I am filled already” I said giving her the spoon she took the plate and began to eat
“But it’s still much here” she said.
“I don’t eat too much, you know am an old man, I don’t have as much space in stomach as I used to when I was much younger” I said.
“Hmmm! This is too delicious, this is such a nice meal” she said.
“A moment please” I said and went into my room to look for the keys of the door just opposite my room.
The room had been locked for over ten years, and after searching the whole room the keys were nowhere to be found, I went to the sitting room and checked the shelves and lockers there, then I sat down tired, I still could not find the keys.
Then Mrs. Flora walked out of the kitchen where she had dropped the plate after eating, she was holding a can of water when she came to the sitting room.
“What is it, are you searching for something” she asked
“Yes, the keys to my other room” I said.
“Have you seen it now?” she asked like someone who was ready to join me in the search
“No, but don’t worry” I said.
“Give me a second please” I said and walked into my room and brought out a hammer and began to hit the padlock of the door.
“What’s going on over there” I heard her screaming.
Finally the door was opened, what I saw was mouse running into different holes at the Conner of the room I saw the skin of a snake.
“A snake has been here before” I said to myself and walked to the sitting room.
“Come with me flora” I said and she followed me immediately.
“Why is this place so scatted” she asked.
“I have never opened it for over ten years” I drew out a dusty big metal box then I took the hammer and hit the little padlock and it was broken immediately then I opened the box.
“Wow”
“These are the clothes, shoes and bags of my mother” I said.
“But they are very new”
“Yes! my mother never used them”
“You mother must be rich to have bought this kind of expensive clothes” she said
“Yes she was, she was a business woman, she was far richer than my father and she even had a car then” I said.
Then she began to pack the clothes and bag inside the box again.
“You don’t have to, they are yours” I said
“Mine?”
“All of them”
“Thank you so much” she said
She was still looking at me amazingly,i looked around for a little box and found it under a writing desk, I took it and with the hammer I broke the padlock on the little box. It was containing all my mother’s jewelries.
“This is also for you” I said
“Thank you so much” she said happily.
We heard the sound of her car outside.
“Is that your driver?” I asked.
“Yes I told him to meet me here at 6am” she said glancing to her watch.
“One more thing” I said as I stood up and walked to the cupboard and brought out a briefcase, I opened it at once and brought out the documents of my mother’s two houses.
“I know you are a rich woman, but just keep this for me” I said “it is the document of my mother’s two houses” this time she knelt down crying as she took the documents from me.
“You don’t have to cry flora” I said
“Why are you giving me all this” she asked still crying while on her kneels
“I am passing my inheritance to you flora, you have been so nice to me, you came here every time even when you are to stay at home, you treat me like a father, so many times you give me money, sometimes you buy things for me from the city, many a time you even bring me food, thanks for making me happy at this final stage of my life, thank you” I said.
“Thank you!” she said standing up.
“you took me like a father, and I am giving you what a father would give to a child, so cheer up flora if only I have more, you deserve more than this” I said.
Then I went to my room and brought a rag and came to her again.
“I think you should go with the box” I said and began to dust it.
“let me do it” she said and took the rag from me and began to dust the box after dusting it she came out and called the driver who helped her to put the box on the car.
“Thank you very much” she said.
“Bye and my regards to you family” I said standing on the verandah watching the car as it was been reversed. As soon as the car left, I returned to my room and lay on the bed. I was for a while happy.
Now! In case I never mentioned this, I retired in 1985 as a General to this little house I have been staying. Being alone seems nice, but it keeps my mind from the present and made me think about the past. Most times it made me scared.
Each night I shared a couple of tears before going to bed. I took time every night to look at the picture of them all.
Every night I think about my father how he hugged me that night and told me he would see me the next day but I never saw him again.
I think about Paul how death took him away from us and left his mother insane till her death, I think about Julie and the love we share and how I lost her to death, I never forget about my mother most especially how I hurt her so much even till her death
And most especially Laura how the last hours of her life was horrible and how she was wasted for nothing.
And off course major abbey how he was laying dead bunt in that vehicle and how he saved me that very day.
Sometimes colonel Matins though he was never like a friend to me I still felt the hurts of his death and lastly myself how old I am still carrying the sad memories of the past on my mind.
at night I became even scared because, it seems to me that there are ghost around my house, I took this habit of staying alone because I liked it, at first it was nice and okay, I enjoyed it, but know it hurts me so bad and I can't take it anymore.
Sometimes when I lie on my bed watching the moon from the window I think about death, and when it would come for me. I don't think i can wait anymore. i too want to take my rest. and i really need to get this out of my mind, i think i want peace, it’s high time to end it all, to get this sad memories from my mind, i tried to get rid of it on my own but i could not, the picture of them kept flashing into my mind. at some point when i am trying to be happy they come into my mind again and spoil my mood, what i used to enjoy many years ago, had suddenly turn into a torment.
I just can't wait for that day when i would be at peace, when I would close my eyes here and open it in the other realm, when I would be far away from this lonely world where I live alone, when I would no longer cry, when the peace I have long waited for will find me, Because oh! God! Being alone and lonely now hurts.
THE END

(1) (Reply)

Ghost By Pen / Your Opinions On Chimamanda Ngozi's Latest Fortune / Fabmumng Holds First Mothers Event In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.