Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,630 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

The Composite Nature Of Man - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Composite Nature Of Man (1730 Views)

The Allegory In The Garden Of Eden Account Of The Fall Of Man By Reno Omokri / Funeral Home Denies Involvement In Alleged Ressurection Of Man By A Pastor / The Whole Duty Of Man, Please Read Through (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2017
Do we believe in the composite nature of Man - Soul, Spirit and Body? Then, what is the soul, spirit and body
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 9:11pm On Mar 10, 2017
Paul says 'I pray God that your spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ' - I Thess 5:23
So we can affirm that every man has a composite nature.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 10:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
Every created Man is a Spirit that has a Soul and lives in a Body.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 11:44pm On Mar 15, 2017
x x x x x
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 9:56am On Mar 16, 2017
PastorAIO:
How do you punctuate that?

Maybe he meant: I pray for your Soul: spirit and body.

Thus the soul is comprised of two 'parts' the spirit and the body.

That which is born of flesh is flesh and that which is born of spirit is spirit.
Every created man is a Spirit, we are created in Gods image...
Natural birthing envelopes the Spirit in the body.
The soul is the mental capacity, intelligence of the Man.
Every Man communicates with God via the Spirit!
Jesus says the true worshippers worship 'in Spirit and Truth'
Man is a Spirit, he has a soul and housed in a body!
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 12:02pm On Mar 16, 2017
x x x x x
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 12:22pm On Mar 16, 2017
PastorAIO:

What about uncreated man? Is he a spirit too? Like Jesus, begotten not made.

If the spirit is enveloped in the body, meaning that there spirit is contained within the body, then in what part of the body can we find the spirit?

If the soul is the mental capacity then what about the emotions? Is that spirit or soul or body?

If the spirit communicates with God then what does the mental capacity do?

Obviously I don't agree with this idea of a composite nature, but I am interested in why you are convinced of it.
The Life of a Man is the Spirit. Would you ask where is the Life?
Your existence is Spirit. At death, the Spirit is separated from the body on a final journey back to the creator as it were.
The Spirit is emotional not the soul! Isnt God emotional?
The soul is the reasoning faculty, its the choice you always have to make, your meditation happens in the soul.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 4:45pm On Mar 16, 2017
x x x x x
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 4:50pm On Mar 16, 2017
What do you think of Ecclesiastes 3:21?

Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth?
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 5:22pm On Mar 16, 2017
PastorAIO:
What do you think of Ecclesiastes 3:21?

Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth?
Beuautiful!
The Man, Spirit returns to God while the Spirit of the animal is buried with the body.
The mans body decays while the Spirit returns to God!
At death, the righteous man spirit goes into paradise while the unrighteous spirit goes to hell. That of the animal is buried with the body and remains there.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 5:24pm On Mar 16, 2017
PastorAIO:

I would ask 'where is the life' if you told me that 'the life is enveloped in the body'? If you can envelope something then it has a location.

So If I get you straight:

The Life of a man is the Spirit
The Existence is the Spirit
Spirit is emotional
Spirit is enveloped in the body.

I see emotions as a very human trait, not a divine trait.

Emotions is both human and divine!
Its a Spirit xtic - thats the real man, the body only plays out the script of the spirit.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 8:16pm On Mar 16, 2017
enshy:

Beuautiful!
The Man, Spirit returns to God while the Spirit of the animal is buried with the body.
The mans body decays while the Spirit returns to God!
At death, the righteous man spirit goes into paradise while the unrighteous spirit goes to hell. That of the animal is buried with the body and remains there.

That is not what the passage says!!! undecided undecided undecided

It's a question that is actually an admission of ignorance.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 8:17pm On Mar 16, 2017
enshy:

Emotions is both human and divine!
Its a Spirit xtic - thats the real man, the body only plays out the script of the spirit.

Why do you say so? What are your reasons?
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 9:12am On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

Why do you say so? What are your reasons?
God's breathe of life is the Spirit in Man. God is emotional and God is Spirit so also is Man.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 9:20am On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

That is not what the passage says!!! undecided undecided undecided

It's a question that is actually an admission of ignorance.
No I disagree with you.
Its rhetorical...Read from verse 18-22.
He talked about the certainty and equality of the end of both Man and Beast in death!
vs 21, he differentiates the conditions of after life for both Man and Beast: in particular he mentions the destination and end of both spirits. vs 19-20, he states the end and destination of both flesh/bodies ending in the dust.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

No I disagree with you.
Its rhetorical...Read from verse 18-22.
He talked about the certainty and equality of the end of both Man and Beast in death!
vs 21, he differentiates the conditions of after life for both Man and Beast: in particular he mentions the destination and end of both spirits. vs 19-20, he states the end and destination of both flesh/bodies ending in the dust.

18I said to myself concerning the sons of men, “God has surely tested them in order for them to see that they are but beasts.” 19For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity. 20All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust. 21Who knows that the breath of man ascends upward and the breath of the beast descends downward to the earth?

Please where is the differentiation in saying that they all have the same breath and they all go to the same place.

The passage is saying that those who are differentiating the destination (ie such as yourself) are merely speculating and talking about what they do not know.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 11:25am On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

God's breathe of life is the Spirit in Man.
God is emotional and God is Spirit so also is Man.

Let us do a proper study of the passages you are drawing from.

When Yahweh 'breathed' into Haadam so that he became a living being that was called Nismat. Yes? So Yahweh breathed Nismat into Haadam.

It would be a mistake to conflate Nismat with Ruach. I believe that Ruach is what you are trying to refer to when you talk of the spirit of God and the Spirit of Man. Nismat is just the air that goes into and out of our lungs.

Let us look at Genesis 7:22
22Everything on the dry land in whose nostrils was the breath of life died.

The actual Hebrew says: All that had the Nismat of the Ruah of Life died.

These are two totally different things. So Ruach can Nismat, ie Ruach can breathe. But Ruach is NOT Nismat.

Furthermore we learn that all living beings have this Ruach of Life so it is not something exclusive to humans.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 11:55am On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

Let us do a proper study of the passages you are drawing from.

When Yahweh 'breathed' into Haadam so that he became a living being that was called Nismat. Yes? So Yahweh breathed Nismat into Haadam.

It would be a mistake to conflate Nismat with Ruach. I believe that Ruach is what you are trying to refer to when you talk of the spirit of God and the Spirit of Man. Nismat is just the air that goes into and out of our lungs.

Let us look at Genesis 7:22
22Everything on the dry land in whose nostrils was the breath of life died.

The actual Hebrew says: All that had the Nismat of the Ruah of Life died.

These are two totally different things. So Ruach can Nismat, ie Ruach can breathe. But Ruach is NOT Nismat.

Furthermore we learn that all living beings have this Ruach of Life so it is not something exclusive to humans.
No I firmly disagree with your postulations.
The twist is: The breathe is what makes us all living bodies.
We are all Spirit beings; it wasnt just air, it was LIFE!
The air makes it possible for the Spirit to live in bodily form..When the air is ceased, the Spirit departs from the body and returns to the creator!
Spirit of Man never dies, only the body dies...Its eternal!
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 12:05pm On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

18I said to myself concerning the sons of men, “God has surely tested them in order for them to see that they are but beasts.” 19For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity. 20All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust. 21Who knows that the breath of man ascends upward and the breath of the beast descends downward to the earth?

Please where is the differentiation in saying that they all have the same breath and they all go to the same place.

The passage is saying that those who are differentiating the destination (ie such as yourself) are merely speculating and talking about what they do not know.
Hey bro:
See this, vs 18-20, talks about the flesh i.e the body...It goes same place to the ground, its buried and decomposes: thats how it returns to the dusts
vs 21, this now differentiates the destination of the Spirit, your version calls it breathe...Gods breathe is Spirit having physical life through the body.
Thats why your version calls it breathe, my version - KJV calls it Spirit...Mans Spirit returns to the creator for judgment while that of beast is buried in the grave.
Rem ' it is appointed unto man once to die, after this judgment' - Heb 9:27
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 12:49pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

No I firmly disagree with your postulations.
The twist is: The breathe is what makes us all living bodies.
We are all Spirit beings; it wasnt just air, it was LIFE!
The air makes it possible for the Spirit to live in bodily form..When the air is ceased, the Spirit departs from the body and returns to the creator!
Spirit of Man never dies, only the body dies...Its eternal!

Men, you can disagree as firmly as you like, as firm as a pharmacy if you like, that doesn't change what the passage is saying. And it is not my postulation it is simply what the passage says.

Nismat is not Ruach. That's all.

What Yahweh breathed into Haadam was Nismat. All living beings have Ruach so it is not something that is unique to Mankind. Therefore these your postulations on composite nature of man are just things that you are making up as you go along.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 12:51pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

Hey bro:
See this, vs 18-20, talks about the flesh i.e the body...It goes same place to the ground, its buried and decomposes: thats how it returns to the dusts
vs 21, this now differentiates the destination of the Spirit, your version calls it breathe...Gods breathe is Spirit having physical life through the body.
Thats why your version calls it breathe, my version - KJV calls it Spirit...Mans Spirit returns to the creator for judgment while that of beast is buried in the grave.
Rem ' it is appointed unto man once to die, after this judgment' - Heb 9:27

Why are you dribbling yourself like this na?

Forget my version your version KJV whatever. What does the original Hebrew say? Where and when does it use Nismat and where and when does it use Ruah?
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 1:39pm On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

Why are you dribbling yourself like this na?

Forget my version your version KJV whatever. What does the original Hebrew say? Where and when does it use Nismat and where and when does it use Ruah?
Was the Bible translated from French? Isnt it from Hebrew?
Do I now need the Hebrew Bible to understand scriptures? Must I understand Hebrew to read Bible?
That passage explains itself and shouldnt cause much tension to understand.
Is God in natural body form? Isnt He Spirit? Ask yourself in what form was Man created? In what form do we return to God? Answer the questions to help your undertstanding.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

Men, you can disagree as firmly as you like, as firm as a pharmacy if you like, that doesn't change what the passage is saying. And it is not my postulation it is simply what the passage says.

Nismat is not Ruach. That's all.

What Yahweh breathed into Haadam was Nismat. All living beings have Ruach so it is not something that is unique to Mankind. Therefore these your postulations on composite nature of man are just things that you are making up as you go along.
I have never said they are directly same. I have said Gods Breathe gave the Spirit life/existence through the body for all Man is created a Spirit! Birth brings the natural existence in body form.
And where did the Ruach come from if God breathe Nismat? You said all living beings have Ruach, where did it come from?
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 2:02pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

Do I now need the Hebrew Bible to understand scriptures? Must I understand Hebrew to read Bible?
That passage explains itself and shouldnt cause much tension to understand.
Is God in natural body form? Isnt He Spirit? Ask yourself in what form was Man created? In what form do we return to God? Answer the questions to help your undertstanding.

It is quite unfortunate that instead of simply answering my questions to follow the point I'm trying to show you you respond with more questions that betray your lack of understanding. N E way I'll be generous and answer your questions.
No, the bible was not translated from French it was translated from Hebrew and often a lot gets lost in translation which is why I'm trying to help you by referring you to the original text.

It would help you greatly in understanding the scriptures if you made reference to the Hebrew bible. Luckily for you you don't have to go and learn Hebrew before you can study the original hebrew. We live in an information age and all this information is readily available for those that truly seek to be informed.

In answer to you question I'll do you as you do me, I'll respond with a question.
What do you think of this bible verse and it's relevance to what you are asking me?

24And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel,f for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 29Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel,g saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.”

And this one:

And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the ...
Genesis 3:8

What form was Yahweh in these passages, Physical or non physical?

1 Like

Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 2:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

I have never said they are directly same. I have said Gods Breathe gave the Spirit life/existence through the body for all Man is created a Spirit! Birth brings the natural existence in body form.
And where did the Ruach come from if God breathe Nismat? You said all living beings have Ruach, where did it come from?

I believe it was created.
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 2:07pm On Mar 17, 2017
Here is a very popular and good resource for studying the bible in it's original languages. I hope you'll find it useful.

http://biblehub.com/text/genesis/2-7.htm
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 2:15pm On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

I believe it was created.
If you believe the spirit was created, what is the purpose of nismat? What role does it play?
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 2:20pm On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

It is quite unfortunate that instead of simply answering my questions to follow the point I'm trying to show you you respond with more questions that betray your lack of understanding. N E way I'll be generous and answer your questions.

No, the bible was not translated from French it was translated from Hebrew and often a lot gets lost in translation which is why I'm trying to help you by referring you to the original text.

It would help you greatly in understanding the scriptures if you made reference to the Hebrew bible. Luckily for you you don't have to go and learn Hebrew before you can study the original hebrew. We live in an information age and all this information is readily available for those that truly seek to be informed.

In answer to you question I'll do you as you do me, I'll respond with a question.
What do you think of this bible verse and it's relevance to what you are asking me?

24And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel,f for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 29Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel,g saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.”

And this one:

And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the ...
Genesis 3:8

What form was Yahweh in these passages, Physical or non physical?
Bro, your nismath gave rauch a living existence in body form!
Rauch is Spirit and its created.
Nismat is breathe, life, existence not just air!
Its not exacly same yet not so distinct!
The two complemented the creation and birth of man.
No gain saying here...Its simple and straight!
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 2:31pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

If you believe the spirit was created, what is the purpose of nismat? What role does it play?

I have no idea. I'm not the Creator. And unlike some people I know, I'm not inclined to pretend to know the things that I don't know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 2:35pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

Bro, your nismath gave rauch a living existence in body form!
Rauch is Spirit and its created.
Nismat is breathe, life, existence not just air!
Its not exacly same yet not so distinct!
The two complemented the creation and birth of man.
No gain saying here...Its simple and straight!

It's not simple and straight anything. You are still just making up doctrines. Yahweh breathed Nismat into Clay and it became a living thing. There is no mention of Ruach in the passage. Can you support anything you've just said from a biblical passage?

and nismat is not 'my nismat'. I am not a hebrew, it is not my language and it is not a concept that I made up. I found it there when I was studying the bible. Please don't give me the ownership of something that I don't own, I cannot afford to offend the owner.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by enshy: 2:47pm On Mar 17, 2017
PastorAIO:

It's not simple and straight anything. You are still just making up doctrines. Yahweh breathed Nismat into Clay and it became a living thing. There is no mention of Ruach in the passage. Can you support anything you've just said from a biblical passage?

and nismat is not 'my nismat'. I am not a hebrew, it is not my language and it is not a concept that I made up. I found it there when I was studying the bible. Please don't give me the ownership of something that I don't own, I cannot afford to offend the owner.
If God breathe into clay, where was the spirit? how did spirit come by?
God created man in His image, is this the clay? what is the image at creation?
My point is nismat isnt air save if your own nismat is air! Nismat is breathe not air!!
Nismat and Rauch are almost same yet distinct! They are complementary of the other!!
Re: The Composite Nature Of Man by PastorAIO: 3:21pm On Mar 17, 2017
enshy:

If God breathe into clay, where was the spirit? how did spirit come by?
God created man in His image, is this the clay? what is the image at creation?
My point is nismat isnt air save if your own nismat is air! Nismat is breathe not air!!
Nismat and Rauch are almost same yet distinct! They are complementary of the other!!

None of these your questions are concerns of mine. If you have anything you want to say about Yahweh in the bible and the creation of Man as told in the bible then I insist that you back up what you are saying with passages from the bible. Otherwise you are just making things up.

From the op to now everything you've said has been pure confection from your imagination. Nothing to do with the bible or Hebrew thought on the matter.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

"The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? / Some Men And Women Who Mocked God And Died Untimely How True Is This? / Mayowa Olaiya Vs Funke Adejumo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.