Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,716 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

10 Bible Verses On Tithing - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Bible Verses On Tithing (26972 Views)

Happiness: 7 Bible Verses On How To Live A Joyful Life / TB Joshua Speaks On Tithing As Daddy Freeze Praises Him (Video) / 10 Bible Verses To Read On OVERCOMING TRIALS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Opulentluv(m): 1:14pm On Mar 12, 2017
Lie lie
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by ZoneBslayer(m): 1:17pm On Mar 12, 2017
musicwriter:
[/b]

Honestly, I pity you.

Even when you've noted Jesus said there are more important things to do, yet your washed brain still deem it fit not to understand it.
get away from me thou simpleton! you all resort to insults when you encounter a point you can't refute..Christ also said man shall not live by bread alone but by the word which proceeds from the mouth of God..does it mean we don't have need for bread in our stomach again? He clearly said in plain words that we should not neglect the weightier things in life and concentrate on the smaller less important ones..does that condemn the less important things in your warped thinking? in plain English he meant, ' do this while also doing this'..jeez!

1 Like

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by dazzlingd(m): 1:17pm On Mar 12, 2017
ipreach:
Many people have argued much on this subject on and off social media especially on Nairaland.com, that's why i decided to bring to here

1. Because God commands it:

"A tithe of all you produce is the Lord's and it is Holy." (Leviticus 27:30)

2. Because Jesus commands it:

"Yes, you should tithe, and you shouldn't leave the more important things undone either." (Matthew 23:23) Tithing was the only thing Jesus commended the Pharisees for doing right!

3. Because tithing shows that God has first place in your life:

"The purpose of tithing is to teach you to put God first place in your life". (Deuteronomy 14:23 (LB) If God does not have first priority in your finances, He isn't really first in your life and your witness for Christ is false!

4. Because it reminds you that everything you have was given to you by God:
"Always remember that it is the Lord your God who gives you the ability to produce wealth." (Deuteronomy 8:18) Rather than feeling "I'm giving God 10% of my money," realize God is letting you keep 90% of HIS money. Without God's help, you would have nothing.

5. Because tithing expresses your gratitude to God for helping you earn income:
"How can I repay the Lord for all His goodness to me?" (Ps. 116:12) Here's the answer: "Each of you should bring a gift in proportion to the way the Lord your God has blessed you." (Deuteronomy 16:17)

6. Because refusing to tithe is stealing from God:

If you don't tithe, God says you are using money that rightfully belongs to Him. "God says: "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing me!' But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' God says: 'In tithes and offerings. Bring your whole tithe to My house.'" (Malachi 3:8-19) (God has a right to whatever He asks for from you.)

7. Because tithing gives God a chance to prove to you that He exists and wants to bless you:

"Bring me your tithe. Test me in this," says the Lord, "and see if I won't throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it, I will prevent pests from devouring your crops and the vines in your fields will be protected from plagues."

This is one of the most amazing promises in the Bible. God actually offers you a challenge. He says "I dare you!" Start tithing and watch what happens!" He not only promises to bless you with more, but He also promises to protect what you already have! In the Bible, tithing is the only way given that you can prove God exists. Start tithing and get ready for God's amazing blessings!

8. Because it is essential to spiritual growth:
"Just as you grow in everything in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in earnestness and love...see that you also grow in the grace of giving." Many Christians remain spiritual babies because they disobey God by not tithing.

9. Because tithing shows you really love God!
"Where your treasure is, your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21) Wherever you put your money is where your affection is going to be. Every time you give back to God you are drawn closer to Him. You may say you love God, but 2 Corinthians 8:8 says that you’re giving tests the sincerity of your love. You can give without loving but you cannot love without giving.
Jesus said, "If you really love me, do what I command." (John 14:15)

10. Because tithing is an investment for eternity:
Jesus told us to "Store up treasures in heaven." (Matthew 6:19-20) How do you do that? By investing your money in helping people get to heaven! Most of the things you spend your money on will not even last for ten years, much less last for eternity.

http://godsinspired..com.ng/2016/03/10-bible-verses-on-tithing.html

I am only interested in why you ignored Deuteronomy 14 vs 22 - 29.

Why have you chosen hypocrisy?
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by ZoneBslayer(m): 1:20pm On Mar 12, 2017
xest:
I don't subscribe to this. There is no amount of money given to God that will prove or compensate him for his grace upon us. I believe the poster is a pastor or ardent so called born again. In that Matthew 23:23 he was not commending the pharisees for paying there tithe, rather he was lashing at them for not doing the most important part of law. "woes(is wise a recommendation)? unto u Pharisees for u tithe mint, Cummins n herbs, but u forget to do the most important part of the law". If tithe is that important christ would hv said it, but rather he said "justice, mercy n faithfulness are more important than tithe. Let no man decieve u of given him ur hard earn money in the name of tithe. If tithe is important the disciples would have preached it through out there mission on earth. Christ main teaching is centered on given to D poor n d sick. So therefore give n u shall b rewarded by God. Not by tithing. Tithing is not mandatory but Voluntarily.
you of all people here has the most understanding.. Christ clearly said we should not neglect the things that matter most and focus on less important things.. BUT that doesn't mean he condemned those less important things.. how hard is that for people to understand?Christ did not condemn tithing in itself..
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Nigeriadondie: 1:39pm On Mar 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zZWvvaEaY

Please all in the should watch this video
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by musicwriter(m): 1:50pm On Mar 12, 2017
ZoneBslayer:

get away from me thou simpleton! you all resort to insults when you encounter a point you can't refute..Christ also said man shall not live by bread alone but by the word which proceeds from the mouth of God..does it mean we don't have need for bread in our stomach again? He clearly said in plain words that we should not neglect the weightier things in life and concentrate on the smaller less important ones..does that condemn the less important things in your warped thinking? in plain English he meant, ' do this while also doing this'..jeez!

I never meant to insult you as that's not my nature. I' am really sorry for your reading me wrong due to your misconceptions.

Jesus was also a preacher doing the work of God. Can you show me any place in the Bible where Jesus himself collected tithe from his followers. Where in the Bible did Jesus himself collect tithe? If you are able to show me, I'll delete my Nairaland account.

1 Like

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Nigeriadondie: 1:50pm On Mar 12, 2017
dazzlingd:

I am only interested in why you ignored Deuteronomy 14 vs 22 - 29.

Why have you chosen hypocrisy?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zZWvvaEaYhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zZWvvaEaY
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Heavance(m): 1:52pm On Mar 12, 2017
slurryeye:
This is my problem with my fellow Christian brethren. They know how to twist and modify the verses to suit what they want you to believe. As you all can see, most of the bible verses are from old testament, and the few one in the new testament talks about grace and not tithing. I have said and I will say it again, tithing is a Jewish tradition where landed tribes (other eleven tribes of Israel) gave part of their income to the Levites and Kohanim (the tribe that keep the tabernacle and the priests). Unless a pastor shows me he has lineage to the levites, ain't paying no tithes

Modified: Lemme elaborate a little on the Levites and their role in Jewish tradition. You see, when Joshua led the Israelites into the land of Canaan, the levites (who are the descedants of Levi the 3rd son of Jacob) were the only Israelite tribe among all the 12 tribes of Israel that were not allowed to be landowners because the Lord God of Israel Himself is their inheritance. These Levites kept the temple, and do absolute nothing else than give service to Yahweh. In order for the Levites to survive, the other 11 tribes that were landowners give portion of their income to the Levites. As you can see there is a huge difference between the Levites and our modern day pastors
All these you typed will only be understood when one decides to read the bible, not refuse to read and listen to pastors that only talk tithe.
I am strongly and have always been in support of your view......
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Werehkpe: 1:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
ipreach:
Many people have argued much on this subject on and off social media especially on Nairaland.com, that's why i decided to bring to here

1. Because God commands it:

"A tithe of all you produce is the Lord's and it is Holy." (Leviticus 27:30)

2. Because Jesus commands it:

"Yes, you should tithe, and you shouldn't leave the more important things undone either." (Matthew 23:23) Tithing was the only thing Jesus commended the Pharisees for doing right!

3. Because tithing shows that God has first place in your life:

"The purpose of tithing is to teach you to put God first place in your life". (Deuteronomy 14:23 (LB) If God does not have first priority in your finances, He isn't really first in your life and your witness for Christ is false!

4. Because it reminds you that everything you have was given to you by God:
"Always remember that it is the Lord your God who gives you the ability to produce wealth." (Deuteronomy 8:18) Rather than feeling "I'm giving God 10% of my money," realize God is letting you keep 90% of HIS money. Without God's help, you would have nothing.

5. Because tithing expresses your gratitude to God for helping you earn income:
"How can I repay the Lord for all His goodness to me?" (Ps. 116:12) Here's the answer: "Each of you should bring a gift in proportion to the way the Lord your God has blessed you." (Deuteronomy 16:17)

6. Because refusing to tithe is stealing from God:

If you don't tithe, God says you are using money that rightfully belongs to Him. "God says: "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing me!' But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' God says: 'In tithes and offerings. Bring your whole tithe to My house.'" (Malachi 3:8-19) (God has a right to whatever He asks for from you.)

7. Because tithing gives God a chance to prove to you that He exists and wants to bless you:

"Bring me your tithe. Test me in this," says the Lord, "and see if I won't throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it, I will prevent pests from devouring your crops and the vines in your fields will be protected from plagues."

This is one of the most amazing promises in the Bible. God actually offers you a challenge. He says "I dare you!" Start tithing and watch what happens!" He not only promises to bless you with more, but He also promises to protect what you already have! In the Bible, tithing is the only way given that you can prove God exists. Start tithing and get ready for God's amazing blessings!

8. Because it is essential to spiritual growth:
"Just as you grow in everything in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in earnestness and love...see that you also grow in the grace of giving." Many Christians remain spiritual babies because they disobey God by not tithing.

9. Because tithing shows you really love God!
"Where your treasure is, your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21) Wherever you put your money is where your affection is going to be. Every time you give back to God you are drawn closer to Him. You may say you love God, but 2 Corinthians 8:8 says that you’re giving tests the sincerity of your love. You can give without loving but you cannot love without giving.
Jesus said, "If you really love me, do what I command." (John 14:15)

10. Because tithing is an investment for eternity:
Jesus told us to "Store up treasures in heaven." (Matthew 6:19-20) How do you do that? By investing your money in helping people get to heaven! Most of the things you spend your money on will not even last for ten years, much less last for eternity.

http://godsinspired..com.ng/2016/03/10-bible-verses-on-tithing.html

2. Mathew 23:23 "how terrible of u teachers of the lwa and Pharisees. U hypocrites U give to God a tenth of even of the seasoning, herebs such as mint BUT U NEGLECT TO OBEY THE REALLY IMPORTANT TEACHINGS OF THE THE LAW SUCH AS JUSTICE, MERCY AND HONESTY. THESE U SHOULD PRACTICE WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS. U strain a fly out of your drink and drink a camel.....u wash the outside of your cups and leave their insides dirty"

My understanding here of this passage is that God is saying tithing is not important compared to things like justice, mercy and honesty, love etc.

I focused on this verse BECAUSE IT IS THE DIRECT QUOTE FROM JESUS HIMSELF. All other verses are mere "opinions" of fellow human beings like you and I.

Summary is Love God and love your neighbour. If this does not require you paying tithes to pastors then you are good to go. Pastors these days always try to use verses FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT to justify why you should pay your tithes to them. Then these pastors go ahead to buy the best cars and houses while we the congregation commute by okada, keke napep, old cars and public transport. God is a just God and He will judge everyone fairly according to our deeds and actions. I really pity pastors who collect tithes for the own personal gains rather than for the purpose of charity. They buy limousines, Rolls Royces etc and forget about the needy (COZA's Fatoyimbo comes to mind here). What they fail to realise is that even Jesus adviced that we sell all our properties and belongings to follow Him faithfully. Some Pastors these days are doing the direct opposite. Rather than giving up their personal wealth and spreading it to the needy, they are more concerned with acquiring more wealth

For me, I rather Love God and love my neighbours by catering for my neighbours who are in need. the homeless, the sick, the needy, the less privileged in society. This is the best way to go and if everyone does this, we will soon see that there is enough for everyone's needs but never enough for one man's greed.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 12, 2017
God Bless you Jare,

Verami:
My friend, don't quote what you don't know go and dont just read but study your Bible well.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Sylva2147: 2:12pm On Mar 12, 2017
labanji:
I don't do tithes, If I was a Xtian, I would rather give most of the 10% share to charities, orphanages etc and give the residual to the church for renovations and others. It's quite unfortunate that these yahoo pastors personalise the funds and use it for their selfish business investments. Some pastors don't even pay tithes or give to charities, they are just interested in your earnings to survive.
when you give God money you don't bother to know what they did with the money, just leave them with god. giving helping hand to the needy is not a bad idea but that is not tithe.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 12, 2017
My brother, thank God for God's wisdom upon your life to discern lies...

The OP should have told us the name of His church, rather than starting what he cannot finish,
I earn on monthly basis, yet I don't give my hard earn money to 'pastors' whose god is their belly

Werehkpe:

2. Mathew 23:23 "how terrible of u teachers of the lwa and Pharisees. U hypocrites U give to God a tenth of even of the seasoning, herebs such as mint BUT U NEGLECT TO OBEY THE REALLY IMPORTANT TEACHINGS OF THE THE LAW SUCH AS JUSTICE, MERCY AND HONESTY. THESE U SHOULD PRACTICE WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS. U strain a fly out of your drink and drink a camel.....u wash the outside of your cups and leave their insides dirty"

My understanding here of this passage is that God is saying tithing is not important compared to things like justice, mercy and honesty, love etc.

I focused on this verse BECAUSE IT IS THE DIRECT QUOTE FROM JESUS HIMSELF. All other verses are mere "opinions" of fellow human beings like you and I.

Summary is Love God and love your neighbour. If this does not require you paying tithes to pastors then you are good to go. Pastors these days always try to use verses FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT to justify why you should pay your tithes to them. Then these pastors go ahead to buy the best cars and houses while we the congregation commute by okada, keke napep, old cars and public transport. God is a just God and He will judge everyone fairly according to our deeds and actions. I really pity pastors who collect tithes for the own personal gains rather than for the purpose of charity. They buy limousines, Rolls Royces etc and forget about the needy (COZA's Fatoyimbo comes to mind here). What they fail to realise is that even Jesus adviced that we sell all our properties and belongings to follow Him faithfully. Some Pastors these days are doing the direct opposite. Rather than giving up their personal wealth and spreading it to the needy, they are more concerned with acquiring more wealth

For me, I rather Love God and love my neighbours by catering for my neighbours who are in need. the homeless, the sick, the needy, the less privileged in society. This is the best way to go and if everyone does this, we will soon see that there is enough for everyone's needs but never enough for one man's greed.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 12, 2017
Hey fellow, hush your mouth right there, you are propagating falsehood, are you an apostle?, what effrontery do you have to jeopardize the soul of the gullible, be careful and watch your soul!!!

Sylva2147:
when you give God money you don't bother to know what they did with the money, just leave them with god. giving helping hand to the needy is not a bad idea but that is not tithe.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by esty27: 2:57pm On Mar 12, 2017
holamiday:
I do not do tithing and never will. My guide on giving comes from 2Corinthians9:10. It says & i quote 'Every man as he purposes in his heart, let him give. Not grudgingly or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver'.

Let me explain it to you. You owe no church 10% of your salary per month. Rather, you owe the world every good thing you are capable of giving. Some folks pay tithes of millions of naira but cannot give 5k to a church member in need, talk less of a non-church member or non-christian. That's foolishness & such people are guilty before God, believe it or not. Generosity must be total. The scripture further says not of 'necessity'. That means, if you must pay tithes, pay it, but let it not be because of fear of the devourer or fear of being tagged a thief by God. Let it come from you cheerfully & freely. It also says 'not grudgingly'. Some christians feel punished paying their tithe. Such giving is a total waste.

When money comes to me, i give as i purpose in my heart. Sometimes i give all. Other times i give half, 20%, 10% etc it all depends on what i decide to do. Sometimes i don't even give at all. What's important is, i am happy and grateful to the God who has made it possible for me to give. That's the way it should be. Our people have taken holy words & mutilated them to soothe their own selfish desires & deceive many. Not me.

Whether you pay your money to a church or not, the name of God will never go down. That, i can tell you.

NB: who even said the bible referred to 'money' when talking about tithes?
ur post make die!

1 Like

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by emmasege: 3:04pm On Mar 12, 2017
holamiday:
I do not do tithing and never will. My guide on giving comes from 2Corinthians9:10. It says & i quote 'Every man as he purposes in his heart, let him give. Not grudgingly or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver'.

Let me explain it to you. You owe no church 10% of your salary per month. Rather, you owe the world every good thing you are capable of giving. Some folks pay tithes of millions of naira but cannot give 5k to a church member in need, talk less of a non-church member or non-christian. That's foolishness & such people are guilty before God, believe it or not. Generosity must be total. The scripture further says not of 'necessity'. That means, if you must pay tithes, pay it, but let it not be because of fear of the devourer or fear of being tagged a thief by God. Let it come from you cheerfully & freely. It also says 'not grudgingly'. Some christians feel punished paying their tithe. Such giving is a total waste.

When money comes to me, i give as i purpose in my heart. Sometimes i give all. Other times i give half, 20%, 10% etc it all depends on what i decide to do. Sometimes i don't even give at all. What's important is, i am happy and grateful to the God who has made it possible for me to give. That's the way it should be. Our people have taken holy words & mutilated them to soothe their own selfish desires & deceive many. Not me.

Whether you pay your money to a church or not, the name of God will never go down. That, i can tell you.

God bless you for this wonderful piece. I've always held same view point about Christian giving. The love of Christ should propel me to give even more than tithe to the cause of Christ, when I have the Grace, and it's not mandatory one gives a tithe when one finds himself in some difficult situations. Why should I give to the Lord grudgingly?
Only two categories of Christians will have problem with your comment.
1. Pastors and church workers who think "Christians" must be coerced and cajoled to give, lest they are starved of means of livelihoods.
2. Baby Christians who can't digest and discern biblical truths through the help of the Holy Spirit.

NB: I look forward to a time when I will even give God up to 50% of my earnings not grudgingly but cheerfully and i need no pastor to sermonise me that I'm a sinner for not paying tithe@ the moment.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Dfinex(f): 3:12pm On Mar 12, 2017
Koolking:
Op, you ended up not saying anything important on tithe. You refused to tell us that tithing was not money.

Your point no.6 doesn't even hold water at all. The instruction was not given to the people of Israel but to the Levitical priests. Mind you, if you're a descendant of the Levi, I am not. I repeat I am not a descendant of the Levi whose command to tithe was made. I am a descendant of a higher prophet in Melchizedek.

The annulment of the Levitical priesthood due to its imperfection annulled tithing. You're just wasting your time believing that tithing brings you prosperity. One of the good deeds that bring you prosperity is GIVING.

Come to think of it. Some of the richest men in the world are not Christians and are not privileged for the grace of God. Yet they continue to prosper. Why? Not because they tithe their 10% of income but because they build foundations and give back more than 10% to the poor, the society.

Keep being hoodwinked by your pastor into tithing.

do u realize that your higher prophet melchizedek..also received tithe of Abraham?
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by olabolawasiu(m): 3:22pm On Mar 12, 2017
U no go die?
seguntijan:
Buhari will die unless Im not called by God # Prophet Chukwudi. Time for the true children of God to worship the father in spirit and in truth.Lets worship and follow God,not men of God.
# happysunday #happynewweek
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by phkka1(m): 3:31pm On Mar 12, 2017
Deuteronomy 26:12
When thou has made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and has given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by nduchucks: 3:33pm On Mar 12, 2017
If people believe that tithing as mentioned in the OP's quotes is equivalent to foolishly making corrupt pastor's rich, then those people are worse than fools.

If Christians follow Jesus, I'd appreciate a direct quote from Jesus where he preached that people should tithe.

Christians should ask themselves why their pastor's hardly spend much time on what Jesus said were the 2 greatest commandments and vigorously preach about tithing.

If you claim to be a Christian and do not know what those 2 greatest commandments are but you know about tithing, then you should do some introspection.

I submit that you are better off giving alms, in an act of love to your needy neighbor than paying tithes.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Koolking(m): 3:37pm On Mar 12, 2017
Dfinex:

do u realize that your higher prophet melchizedek..also received tithe of Abraham?

My simple question to you, who is Melchizedek? Let see how you understand that passage.

Note: I intentionally refused to use 'who was' in the question.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by 1111uzoamaka(m): 3:41pm On Mar 12, 2017
very correct
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by linusbnn(m): 3:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
hefelove:
Some people will still say this is Photoshop

If your Pastor tells you to pay Tithe to the Church every month, he is breaking God’s law on Tithe therefore he is a sinner!In the bible, the tithes which were paid yearly, were for your personal use, like a personal savings plan, NOT to be given to the church. The Bible literarily says you can spend it on suya or peppersoup (Oxen), on beer (wine) or strong drink (Brandy or Whiskey) or anything you crave.The tithe to be given to the church was every three years- NOT every month or every year! This tithe was to be used for the poor and needy in the community- NOT for the Pastor’s personal use.If your Pastor does otherwise, he is defrauding God! Don’t argue with me, argue with Deuteronomy 14 vs 22-28 below.I am off to Church, it’s the first Sunday of the month, I need to pay my tithe!22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by linusbnn(m): 4:01pm On Mar 12, 2017
bonna4u:
@ the op, you chose the verses of the bible that support your argument but left the ones that contain the terms and conditions under which those laws can hold. It is just like engaging in an mtn promo without knowing the terms and conditions. Why didn't you quote numbers 18vs20-32?
Numbers 18vs20-32;
20. And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel.
21. And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
22. Neither must the children of Israel henceforth come nigh the tabernacle of the congregation, lest they bear sin, and die.

23. But the Levites shall do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations, that among the children of Israel they have no inheritance.
24. But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
25. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
26. Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
27. And this your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though it were the corn of the threshingfloor, and as the fulness of the winepress.
28. Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD's heave offering to Aaron the priest.
29. Out of all your gifts ye shall offer every heave offering of the LORD, of all the best thereof, even the hallowed part thereof out of it.
30. Therefore thou shalt say unto them, When ye have heaved the best thereof from it, then it shall be counted unto the Levites as the increase of the threshingfloor, and as the increase of the winepress.
31. And ye shall eat it in every place, ye and your households: for it is your reward for your service in the tabernacle of the congregation.
32. And ye shall bear no sin by reason of it, when ye have heaved from it the best of it: neither shall ye pollute the holy things of the children of Israel, lest ye die.
Please stop giving us half baked truth. Going by what is in numbers chapter 18vs32, if all the Preachers we have today were levites, most of them would have died like the sons of Eli

If your Pastor tells you to pay Tithe to the Church every month, he is breaking God’s law on Tithe therefore he is a sinner!In the bible, the tithes which were paid yearly, were for your personal use, like a personal savings plan, NOT to be given to the church. The Bible literarily says you can spend it on suya or peppersoup (Oxen), on beer (wine) or strong drink (Brandy or Whiskey) or anything you crave.The tithe to be given to the church was every three years- NOT every month or every year! This tithe was to be used for the poor and needy in the community- NOT for the Pastor’s personal use.If your Pastor does otherwise, he is defrauding God! Don’t argue with me, argue with Deuteronomy 14 vs 22-28 below.!22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

1 Like

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Dopeluiz(m): 4:03pm On Mar 12, 2017
in mathew 23 23, Jesus implied that there is no point in tithing if yur ways are crooked.. this poster shud understand the bible first.. Jesus said 'woe' woe isn't a word used to commend anybody
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by linusbnn(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2017
holamiday:

If your Pastor tells you to pay Tithe to the Church every month, he is breaking God’s law on Tithe therefore he is a sinner!In the bible, the tithes which were paid yearly, were for your personal use, like a personal savings plan, NOT to be given to the church. The Bible literarily says you can spend it on suya or peppersoup (Oxen), on beer (wine) or strong drink (Brandy or Whiskey) or anything you crave.The tithe to be given to the church was every three years- NOT every month or every year! This tithe was to be used for the poor and needy in the community- NOT for the Pastor’s personal use.If your Pastor does otherwise, he is defrauding God! Don’t argue with me, argue with Deuteronomy 14 vs 22-28 below.!22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by femmy2010(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2017
seguntijan:
Buhari will die unless Im not called by God # Prophet Chukwudi. Time for the true children of God to worship the father in spirit and in truth.Lets worship and follow God,not men of God.
# happysunday #happynewweek

and your prophet wont die in the end ?
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Dopeluiz(m): 4:07pm On Mar 12, 2017
tithing was a law for the Israelite alone... so that the levites who worked in the house of God and had nothing to survive on might eat.. dat can't be said in today's chuirches... the pastors of today are richer than those who pay the tithes.. initially God made tithing a law becos those levite priests were hungry
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by linusbnn(m): 4:07pm On Mar 12, 2017
Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by Dopeluiz(m): 4:11pm On Mar 12, 2017
[quote author=linusbnn post=54518373]

If your Pastor tells you to pay Tithe to the Church every month, he is breaking God’s law on Tithe therefore he is a sinner!In the bible, the tithes which were paid yearly, were for your personal use, like a personal savings plan, NOT to be given to the church. The Bible literarily says you can spend it on suya or peppersoup (Oxen), on beer (wine) or strong drink (Brandy or Whiskey) or anything you crave.The tithe to be given to the church was every three years- NOT every month or every year! This tithe was to be used for the poor and needy in the community- NOT for the Pastor’s personal use.If your Pastor does otherwise, he is defrauding God! Don’t argue with me, argue with Deuteronomy 14 vs 22-28 below.!22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands..

we Jehovah's Witnesses know the truth about tithing.. the churches have tailored this delicate topic to suit their greed.. Jesus himself ddnt preach on tithing for once.. tithing sef no dey law of moses... if we claim to be Jesus' followers.. we shud imitate him by duin things he did..

1 Like

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by aliya247(m): 4:34pm On Mar 12, 2017
Sir, you lied against Jesus He never commended the the religious Jews rather, He said "woe to them (shame) Jesus never preached about tithe neither the disciples took tithe from anybody because tithe is Law and Jesus is the end of the Law. Romance 10:4

1 Like

Re: 10 Bible Verses On Tithing by 0ubenji(m): 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2017
ZoneBslayer:

yes I AM an above average Nigerian reader.. did he say tithing was bad?? he simply said that there were more important things than tithing, which shouldn't be overlooked.. he ended up saying we should do those more important things as well as the less important ones..was that not obvious from the translations?? did he use parables there?
u stil have not answered the question. did JESUS endorse tithing in that passage or anywhere in the new testament?
coz sabinus like u will stil be the ones to quote IIcor 9:7 in one of ur evangelism sessions, yet stil claim tithing is very necessary for this and that..or this and that will not happen.

now lemme help u dissect Matthew 23:23 with respect to the emboldened in ur comment

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

P.S: what i emboldened in the bible verse above is to clarify to u that jesus alredi stated that the tithing he referred to is subjected to the law alone(jewish customs), this is why he never endorsed it anywhere in that bible with u.

the pharisees were bound by the law, the essence of jesus' coming and the new testament is to deliver us from the curse of the law, wherein we were to do some things as jewish tradition demands(i.e necessities such as this same tithing). Ppl like nicodemus was reportedly faithful with the law, yet jesus said he must be born again. This is to say that his redemption goes way beyond his observance of obsolete jewish customs.
contrastingly, most yahoo boi pastors enslave ur conscience to tithing as if without it, you are finished. young man, this means u are stil bound by the law, which the grace of God allegedly is to redeem us from. This is the essence of IIcor9:7 and other parts of the new testament that advises us to give voluntarily, atleast to provoke God's blessings on us.
READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Have NOTHING To Do With Panama Papers - TB Joshua / 19 Manipulative Tactics Nigerian Pastors Use To Collect Money By Aroms Aigbehi / Church Worshippers Kill Man With Stones In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.