Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:03 PM

The Definition Of Hunger. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Definition Of Hunger. (1290 Views)

What Is Your unique Definition Of An Outwardly Cute man Or Beautiful Lady? / Many Women Will Die Of Hunger If Married Men Stay Faithful - Lady Says / Hilarious Definition Of "Slay Queen" In The Urban Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:13pm On Mar 13, 2017
Section I

It was a hot Saturday afternoon, four months ago - a day i can never forget. We had finished our semester examinations the previous day and most students on campus had vacated for their various homes, i was one of the few that were still in school. I didn't have any money on me to foot my transport fare home, afford a plate of food or even buy airtime to inform my parents who had no idea about the status quo. I was a practically a penniless pauper.

I laid down on my mattress, staring at the ceiling with my phone beside my head, hoping for a "miracle call” from home. An hour past, another past, yet no call came in. I looked at my watch, it was 12:00pm already and i haven't had breakfast.

I stood up and walked to my provisions locker majestically as though i didn't know the only food stuffs i had were palm oil, Maggi seasoning and a piece of dry fish heavily infested with ants. There was a left over cup of garri too. With these items, i could only prepare ‘eba’ and ‘water soup’. I had to make do after all what other options were at my disposal’, i muttered.

I have seen hungry people many times, on TV and on the streets but i haven't really had a first hand experience of what it feels to be really hungry for like a day. I hadn't eaten since i wrote my last exam the previous day, i resorted to gulping down water in cups. By my rough estimate i had drunk 25 litres of water from the previous day to that Moment. There was no better " definition of hunger ” than this.

"Was God punishing me for a sin i committed hitherto?", " have my parents disowned me?”, " Nobody cares about me any more, i must disown my parents when i eventually get home ”, i kept muttering to my self while starring casually at the ceiling. Suddenly, i heard the earsplitting sound of a speaker playing music down the street of my lodge and decided to go check out the reason for such nuisance......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by WHITEWIZARD(m): 4:17pm On Mar 13, 2017
Following..
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 13, 2017
OK
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Joshrob(m): 4:30pm On Mar 13, 2017
The worst thing that can happen to a man is hunger without hope..i hv experience it several times when i was still in school,you will regret why you choose to school far from home.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:33pm On Mar 13, 2017
Section II

From my cursory investigation, a family house down the street was about to hold a reception party for their eldest son that had his white wedding earlier that day. Peeping into the venue, i noticed that everything was in place already for the occasion - chairs were neatly arranged, the attendants were dressed already, guests mostly in suits were already trooping in and most importantly, food and drinks would be served obviously.

"God don answer my prayer, na God win o, na God win o...” , i exclaimed to myself and rushed back to my room to get dressed for the event. Apparently, corporate wear was the dress code, so i reached out for my suit that i had only worn once since my mum bought it for me a year ago. " Mama, i love you. You certainly knew a day like this was gonna come and you got me ready for it, sweet Mama”.

In 15 minutes, i was fully dressed up but i decided to delay my movement and get there at the "right time” - the time for the distribution of item 7.

1 Like

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2017
WHITEWIZARD:
Following..
hope you enjoying it?
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:36pm On Mar 13, 2017
Joshrob:
The worst thing that can happen to a man is hunger without hope..i hv experience it several times when i was still in school,you will regret why you choose to school far from home.
On point.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:39pm On Mar 13, 2017
Section III
Approximately two hours later, i began to walk down to the venue majestically with a gait that oozed class. After all, who wouldn't look smart in an italian suit? On getting to the gate of the compound, i paused and took out my handkerchief to wipe my face while i had my eyes roving round to check for any unoccupied seat. The gate man couldn't even summon the courage to ask if i was invited or not, probably because of the class and charisma my dress sense exuded.

Luckily for me, the last seat on the last row just a few steps away was empty, but then i noticed a tag on it that read "Uche Bolaji” and it dawned on me that the guests came on invitation. Well, as a sharp "area” boy that was hungry, this wasn't solid enough to deter me from taking this opportunity,so i went ahead and took the seat.

Almost as soon as i sat down, i noticed a lady that seemed to be managing the event walking up to my direction; immediately i put on the countenance of a “big man” to avoid suspicion.

“Good evening sir, you must be uhm Engr. Bolaji”, she asked with an electrifying smile on her face. “Yes, I'm Ben Bolaji”, i replied and cleared my throat in a bid to sound more confident. She then looked confused and checked the paper she was holding.
“ But sir, this seat was reserved for Uche Bolaji and.. ”, “Yes, I am Uche's younger brother, he asked me to stand in for him, cant you see we share same surname?”, i cut in immediately to avoid the wave of suspicion.
She then smiled and apologised for the inconveniences she caused me. “Don't worry, its okay. Just serve me something ”, i instructed her.

A few minutes later she came back empty handed with an apologetic look. " sir, im really sorry. Your elder brother Uche contacted earlier and made provisions for his share of the food and drinks to be sent to his house, after he gave the family cogent reasons as to why he wont be able to attend this event.
“ooh, i see.”,i was practically weeping inside me when i heard this, i decided to cast my self esteem away and beg her in humility. After all, who self esteem epp?

“sister, abeg, find me food chop abeg”, i asked her in a low tone. She smiled and said “Bros, food don finish totally, na you i carry this pure water come for”, and handed me a satchet of table water.

My eyes became red; in short, tears were at the verge of rolling down my eyes, so i quickly stood up and left the venue back to my room to avoid embarrassments. cry

2 Likes

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Dhanidhamy(m): 4:45pm On Mar 13, 2017
oh oh, can't stop laughing
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:48pm On Mar 13, 2017
SECTION IV

Back in my room, i was left with one option -Eba and water soup. Water soup was quite easy to prepare: boil water, add palm oil salt and maggi. With my eba, i gulped down the soup and slept off.
That was a perfect definition of hunger, i don't think any earthling has a better definition.

SOURCE: www.ogabenji..com
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:50pm On Mar 13, 2017
Dhanidhamy:
oh oh, can't stop laughing
lol, oya, tell Lalasticlala to push it to FP so that others can laugh too
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 4:51pm On Mar 13, 2017
Joshrob:
i concur, have you eaten garri with bread or eba with water soup in school?? Lol
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by WHITEWIZARD(m): 5:13pm On Mar 13, 2017
Capableben:
hope you enjoying it?
yes i am.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2017
Lol... Hungerbad sha
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 13, 2017
Joshrob:
True talk broda.
same reason I want to change school and go closer to home.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2017
skillful01:

True talk broda.
same reason I want to change school and go closer to home.
How you wan take change school? Inter uni transfer or Jamb?
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 13, 2017
Capableben:
How you wan take change school? Inter uni transfer or Jamb?
JAMB
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by jworos(m): 6:07pm On Mar 13, 2017
Menhhh, hungry bad gan...
I remember one semester like that, we just finished exams so Hostel was dry, just I and another guy.
I didn't have a Dime on me, but I received some money from my elder Bro via Africash,
Just the thought of that money I slept very well with empty stomach till the next day.

Next day I got up, took my bath, dressed up then trekked to the Bank, on getting there I already got the details of the transfer, but they said I needed to open an account first thinking it was moneygram transfer.
Na so I open account looked for referee and other stuffs before them open the account time was 4, they closed was still there with them, until the guy actually input the ref number on the moneygram site, that was when we realized there was a problem.

I called my bro then he told me that the person he sent used Africash instead of Moneygram, I just weak that moment. Na so I trek go Hostel.

I just lay down on my small flat mattress dey look ceiling without hope of eating for that day.
Around like 11pm my hostel mate knocked on my door I got up once cause that kind Hunger no go fit allow anybody sleep.
Then he asked if I've eaten I said no, naim he cat better Egusi soup with big bowl of Eba...
I almost tears that day.

Next day I Trekked to Uba and got the money within An hour.
First thing I got was a very chilled Coke and better Banga soup with fresh fish.

Hunger bad

2 Likes

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 6:26pm On Mar 13, 2017
jworos:
I remember one semester like that, we just finished exams so Hostel was dry, just I and another guy.
I didn't have a Dime on me, but I received some money from my elder Bro via Africash,
Just the thought of that money I slept very well with empty stomach till the next day.

Next day I got up, took my bath, dressed up then trekked to the Bank, on getting there I already got the details of the transfer, but they said I needed to open an account first thinking it was moneygram transfer.
Na so I open account looked for referee and other stuffs before them open the account time was 4, they closed was still there with them, until the guy actually input the ref number on the moneygram site, that was when we realized there was a problem.

I called my bro then he told me that the person he sent used Africash instead of Moneygram, I just weak that moment. Na so I trek go Hostel.

I just lay down on my small flat mattress dey look ceiling without hope of eating for that day.
Around like 11pm my hostel mate knocked on my door I got up once cause that kind Hunger no go fit allow anybody sleep.
Then he asked if I've eaten I said no, naim he cat better Egusi soup with big bowl of Eba...
I almost tears that day.

First thing I got was a very chilled Coke and better Banga soup with fresh fish.

Hunger bad
hahahahaha lol.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2017
skillful01:

JAMB
You can do INTER UNIVERSITY TRANSFER and continue in the same level and course, except of you dont like your current course.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2017
Lalasticlala, food is ready here
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by helinues: 6:39pm On Mar 13, 2017
jworos:

I almost tears that day.

Hunger bad

Chai Hunger is really bad..
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by McBrooklyn(m): 6:46pm On Mar 13, 2017
cheesy
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 7:18pm On Mar 13, 2017
McBrooklyn:
cheesy
hahahahaha fly go enter your mouth o. Wetin come make you dey laugh?
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 7:19pm On Mar 13, 2017
WHITEWIZARD:
Following..
hope you followed to the end?
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 7:19pm On Mar 13, 2017
grin Oga Lalasticlala
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by McBrooklyn(m): 7:24pm On Mar 13, 2017
Capableben:
hahahahaha fly go enter your mouth o. Wetin come make you dey laugh?

Lol, this your story funny like madt... Wehdonesir cheesy

cc: lalasticlala cool

1 Like

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 13, 2017
Capableben:
You can do INTER UNIVERSITY TRANSFER and continue in the same level and course, except of you dont like your current course.
It won't be possible for my course.
in 2nd year now,still got 4-5yrs.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 8:54pm On Mar 13, 2017
McBrooklyn:

Lol, this your story funny like madt... Wehdonesir cheesy

cc: lalasticlala cool
Thank you sir... Help me beg Lalasticlala abeg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Capableben(m): 8:55pm On Mar 13, 2017
skillful01:
It won't be possible for my course.
in 2nd year now,still got 4-5yrs.
Alright. I was inquisitive because i am a product of inter university transfer.
Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by Yinkey6(m): 10:16pm On Mar 13, 2017
grin
jworos:

I almost tears that day.

Hunger bad
angry
jworos:

I almost tears that day.

Hunger bad

Re: The Definition Of Hunger. by McBrooklyn(m): 12:02am On Mar 14, 2017
jworos:

I almost tears that day.

Hunger bad

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before You Marry That Your Second Wife (photo) / Checkout This Couple's Pre-wedding Shoot, Love Story And Amazingly Deep Love / PHOTOS: Couple Gets Stuck During Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.