Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,537 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:28 PM

Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West (1865 Views)

Audu:apc We Will Stick To Constitution / Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? / Who Wins According To Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 12:06am On Dec 18, 2009
North West: Echoes of Sharia reverberated

The just concluded Zonal Public Hearing on the proposed Alteration to the provision of 1999 constitution in Kano saw the North West states canvassing for the supremacy of Sharia legal system over the constitution on one hand and calling for the entrenchment of population as the bases for sharing the proceed of oil wealth.

The North West block was unanimous that the staus quo ante should be maintain on Land matters, while jettisoning the current arrangement that concede 13%derivation to oil producing states of the Niger Delta Region.

Thei Kebbi state Government gave a hard knock to the current arrangement that concede 13 percent of the total oil revenue to the Niger Delta suggesting it to be reduced to 8%.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/12/17/constitution-review-what-geo-political-zones-want-from-senate/

These positions tell me what will ultimately happen in Nigeria. The two trains (North and South South) are inevitably headed for collision.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 12:11am On Dec 18, 2009
I often wonder how northerners see Nigeria. So Sharia is now superior to the Nigerian constitution
Na Wa ooooo! shocked shocked shocked
Dis one na open duplicity!
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 12:13am On Dec 18, 2009
So basically what they are saying is that they should get more oil money, and then practice Sharia which basically discourages the owners of the money from living among them. Even colonial masters were more benevolent! Na wa for  naija! shocked
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:22am On Dec 18, 2009
The solution to this madness is for Nigeria to break up. That way, the North will be free to use the Sharia law as their own constitution without anybody asking them questions. Bunch of illiterate idiots angry angry
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Nobody: 12:28am On Dec 18, 2009
I have said before the Nation is not ready for wholesale constitutional reform. They should stop wasting our time

All we should be fighting for now for is full scale implementation of the Nigerian constitution as it is.

We have so much mistrust, mis-direction to agree on a common law. we have to continue to make do with that which was forced down on us by the milatary boys.

I have taken time to read our current constitution and it is good enough for now. We can however continue to change parts of the constitution which there are universal concensus that they should be changed through bills sent to the NASS. e.g watering down the immunity clause for Governors.

They should sstop the wholesale constitutional reform, its waste of time and resources for now.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by WilyWily: 12:53am On Dec 18, 2009
Sunny_bobo:

The solution to this madness is for Nigeria to break up.
That is the only Solution, break up is nearer.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by sjeezy8: 1:07am On Dec 18, 2009
The poster is dumb, with all the quality info in the article the idi.ot only outlined the North and sharia nonsense.

contrary to what odes think, The SW geopolitical Zone is the ONLY region that actually put both electoral reform and fiscal federalism to the forefront. wow!

North central is good in someway

The others did what was expected of them. Same story more oil money "allowance"(north) and more divison (East) only federalism is the main concern not free and fair elections( south south)
lol
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by THEAMAKA1: 1:09am On Dec 18, 2009
it should be distrubted based on the population of each state, ect ect.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Nobody: 1:15am On Dec 18, 2009
sjeezy8:

The poster is dumb, with all the quality info in the article the idi.ot only outlined the North and sharia nonsense.

contrary to what odes think, The SW geopolitical Zone is the ONLY region that actually put both electoral reform and fiscal federalism to the forefront. wow!

The others did what was expected of them. Same story more oil money "allowance"(north) and more divison (East) only federalism is the main concern not free and fair elections( south south)
lol

Is it possible to achieve fical fedralism without having true fedralism?

We should just stop wasting our time. Stick to what we have.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Nobody: 1:21am On Dec 18, 2009
Before we blackmail the word federal as a dirty word let us be reminded that we are called the FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA. Just that we dont mean it in practice.

I don't know why some are scare if you mention the word federalism.
And then some want to say to call for true federalism means division while to call for fiscal federalism means what?

I say we are not ready for constitutional reform, lets just stop wasting everyone's time
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Sagamite(m): 2:20am On Dec 18, 2009
Fiscal federalism should only apply to what you grow or manufacture or when you provide service, where you keep 50% of revenue and give 50% to government.

Anything that is natural resources (minerals or commodities dug from the ground) should be status quo of 87% to government.

No lazy-arsing by any region. Work hard and be industrial.

Out of all challenges on the ground, dimwits are asking for Sharia law and state creation.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by rasputinn(m): 3:24am On Dec 18, 2009
,,,,,and the guns and bombs in the Niger Delta are superior to the useless sharia.
Useless idiotic parasites
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 6:52am On Dec 18, 2009
I think the South east decided to stick to the state creation demand because during the last conference, we supported the south south on everything but ended up losing even the third position in the national leadership. Today we are the weakest politically among the six geopolitical zones.

I have no doubt in my mind that the south east would support resource control and state police;but, we are no longer willing to stake our national positions to save others. If others are only scheming to consolidate their national clouts, why should we care about anything else other than our interests? I think Ndigbo are learning fast.

It is clear that the north is not interested in dropping Sharia or even be fair with Niger Delta. The time has come for Niger deltans to lead the struggle for equity in Nigeria. We've done our bit, paid for it, and history vindicates us.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by edoyad(m): 6:52am On Dec 18, 2009
When speaking we should know how to pick categorize and and generalise like our lazy journalists.
The north is north is not made up of hausa muslims alone. When you hear of religious riots and churches being burnt who do you think are the target of such attacks ? From southern kaduna to adamawa south, taraba to plateau state, There are people with their own languages, customs and identities that the hausa muslim has been trying to subjugate (in futile) since the days of Othman Danfodio.
When you hear of people like MI- taraba, Jeremiah Gyang(Plateau) or Even senator Folashade Bent(yoruba woman married to who removed Jonathan Zwingina) of adamawa, do you think these are hausa muslims ?
But ofcourse the media who collaborate with their hausa masters try to give that impression that the northern part of Nigeria is only hausa and muslims. Come to kaduna where i live and see a city like jerusalem with hausa on one side and the people of southern kaduna on another side together with people from other parts of Nigeria. The hausa man has a natural enemy that exists right next to him and doesn't need to travel to porthacourt to find him. These are the people that suffer their parasitic nature but still resist their archaic hegemony.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 6:59am On Dec 18, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol

Spoken like a goat as always grin

BTW No one trusts the southwest anymore in Nigeria. How sure are we you that your folks won't sneak out again in the dead of the night to sell out the southern position? It has happened several times before.

That the southwest "supports fiscal federalism" doesn't mean it will actually fight for that position when the chips are down.
Jobless fool.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 18, 2009
Ha ha ha ha ha! Chineke mee! ( a beg, make I have some lafs in Igbo).

Can the leopard change its sports? No!
Can a snake give birth and the child is not long and possesses venom? No!

"So therefore", the jihadists can not change from their campaign of conquest till Nigeria divides either by peace or by war.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Ibime(m): 10:57am On Dec 18, 2009
Sagamite:

Fiscal federalism should only apply to what you grow or manufacture or when you provide service, where you keep 50% of revenue and give 50% to government.

Anything that is natural resources (minerals or commodities dug from the ground) should be status quo of 87% to government.

No lazy-arsing by any region. Work hard and be industrial.

Sharrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!

South-South and South-West got some good proposals.

I wonder who is representing South-East at this meeting? Does the South East know how to build political alliances?

South-South, South-West and South-East should be singing from the same hymn-sheet at this point in our existence.

North-central is OK, but they're not addressing the most pertinent issues.

North-West is chatting crap.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Sagamite(m): 11:01am On Dec 18, 2009
Ibime:

Sharrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!

South-South and South-West got some good proposals.

I wonder who is representing South-East at this meeting? Does the South East know how to build political alliances?

South-South, South-West and South-East should be singing from the same hymn-sheet at this point in our existence.

North-central is OK, but they're not addressing the most pertinent issues.

North-West is chatting crap.

Sharap say wetin? grin

Everyone should toil the soil and brain for wealth, not say we are drilling.

Work hard for your money.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 6:37pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sagamite:

Sharap say wetin? grin

Everyone should toil the soil and brain for wealth, not say we are drilling.

Work hard for your money.

Your argument is really incongruous. You say let the states keep 50% from products and everything over ground but surrender 87% of everything underground. What if I own oilfields or coal mine other minerals, should I then surrender 87%? Just like some states have fertile lands (north for instance) others (Niger delta) have polluted lands and rivers. How can those states survive?
If you want to be honest why not do so and stop being duplicitous!
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Sagamite(m): 7:22pm On Dec 18, 2009
Onlytruth:

Your argument is really incongruous. You say let the states keep 50% from products and everything over ground but surrender 87% of everything underground. What if I own oilfields or coal mine other minerals, should I then surrender 87%? Just like some states have fertile lands (north for instance) others (Niger delta) have polluted lands and rivers. How can those states survive?
If you want to be honest why not do so and stop being duplicitous!

You don't own it. It is natural deposit miles underneath the ground or offshore, you did not work for it.

Every kind of land has some kind of use. Even some things grow in the dessert. So that is not even an argument.

If you maintain you don't have fertile land, do something else with the land. For all I care, build a car park and charge people for use.

Work for your money.

The 87% going to government is for vital federal level projects which can include historical spillage clean-up. The 13% alone is significant enough to support or rearrange skills of locals on the short term.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Beaf: 7:22pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sharia to be supreme to the constituition? shocked Damn!

Does that mean that the union with the North West will be defined by some unknown marabout? The whole thing is just too ridiculous, aren't there any credible leaders from that area?
They are only signifying their disinterest in Nigeria, lets allow them leave to set up sharia paradise.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Beaf: 7:26pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sagamite:

You don't own it. It is natural deposit miles underneath the ground or offshore, you did not work for it.

Every kind of land has some kind of use. Even some things grow in the dessert. So that is not even an argument.

If you maintain you don't have fertile land, do something else with the land. For all I care, build a car park and charge people for use.

Work for your money.

The 87% going to government is for vital federal level projects which can include historical spillage clean-up. The 13% alone is significant enough to support or rearrange skills of locals on the short term.

Disingenuous.
Who owns the water in your borehole? The government? If you decide to sell that water, will anyone stop you? If not, why is oil different?
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Sagamite(m): 7:29pm On Dec 18, 2009
Beaf:

Disingenuous.
Who owns the water in your borehole? The government? If you decide to sell that water, will anyone stop you? If not, why is oil different?

Mate, too weak a comparison argument.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Beaf: 8:44pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sagamite:

Mate, too weak a comparison argument.

How?
My illustration showed up the deep flaws in your argument. Water from a borehole is dug up from under the gound every bit as is oil, therefore, by your argument 87% should go to the FG (if not, why is oil different?).
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by SapeleGuy: 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2009
^^^ Great analogy, there is no comeback for that.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by edoyad(m): 9:30pm On Dec 18, 2009
Actually if you pay for the borehole and extraction of the water from it by yourself why not ? But in a case where the govt has to be the one to invest money to extract the water and make laws that pertain to modalities for It's extraction then the govt should own a fraction of it, dont you think ?
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by presido1: 9:55pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sagamite:

Are u in Primary school?  From your argument the oil does not belong to Nigeria as well.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Beaf: 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
edoyad:

Actually if you pay for the borehole and extraction of the water from it by yourself why not ? But in a case where the govt has to be the one to invest money to extract the water and make laws that pertain to modalities for It's extraction then the govt should own a fraction of it, dont you think ?

The govt has flunked seriously in that direction, the private sector can do a better job. Some examples of shoddy management:

[list]
[li]The Niger Delta one of the most polluted areas in the World (definitely the most polutted in Africa)[/li]
[li]After all these years, the FG has not been able to provide indegenous oil services (eg steel plants, oil rig manufacturing, electronics etc)[/li]
[li]Nigeria's development has stalled, rather oil has fuelled corruption, everyone is in a mad dash for oil (we lose $1.5 billion to bunkering mostly by the elite and ex generals)[/li]
[li]Cocao and the groundnut pyramids are history, all "development" waits for oil money[/li]
[/list]

The FG can make the laws, but it does not need to give money for extraction; that is the problem for the person on whose land the oil sits. The same should go for gold, tin, gems and whatever other minerals Nigeria has.
Our constituition is based on the US one, so why not treat oil the same as in the US? Simple answer is that oil is an easy avenue to loot huge sums; it doesn't serve Nigeria any good. Hillary Clinton, just before she arrived here, made a very telling statement. She said, it is a pity the foreigners know more about Nigeria than Nigerians and that only 1% of our population benefits from oil.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by edoyad(m): 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2009
@beaf don't get me wrong, i was just giving a case why the govt should have a share of the proceeds- atleast by tax.
On the contrary, i am 100% in support of full federalisation and not even in the form we know it. I'd prefer if we were organised into local government councils and each one contributing It's quota to national development. By so doing the communities where the oil is situated will benefit from their oil and anybody that wants to enjoy oil money can come and become gardeners and drivers in their land instead of signing cheques in abuja or crying for bigger share from border with Niger republic.
If we made things that way we'll see whether Nigeria will not diversify It's revenue base instead of talk we hear always.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Ibime(m): 10:46pm On Dec 18, 2009
edoyad:

Rubbish. . . . we never asked FG to come and invest. . . . oil coys will fall over themselves to bid for the contract. . . . oil production will not miss a beat if the land owners were the one tendering the contract to oil coys. . . . infact, production will increase. . . .

I am fed up of the arrogance of Nigerians. . . . the fact is, we agreed to become part of Nigeria on a contract where we had ownership of our resources. . . . we agreed to pay 50% tax to the government. . . . some military men brought their guns and changed the contract. . . . well, we dont care. . . . either go back to our original agreement or Pharoah, let my people go!!!
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by honeric01(m): 11:21pm On Dec 18, 2009
See wetin oil dey cause, some people wey no fit even drill oil for their life want to eat from it.
Re: Share Oil Wealth Based On Population, Sharia Superior To Constitution-North West by Onlytruth(m): 10:08am On Dec 19, 2009
presido1:

Are u in Primary school?  From your argument the oil does not belong to Nigeria as well.

grin grin grin

I don't think the guys can think that far! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Turmoil At Aso Villa, Heavy Gun Fire Heard Coming From The Area As Soldiers Also Storm Media Houses / Ribadu To Be Named Acn Presidential Candidate . / Aiyetoro - Itele, Ogun State Under Government Neglect For More Than 2 Decades.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.