Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,959 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View (8328 Views)

Tail Docking / Rotweiler Tail Docking / Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 1:01pm On Mar 16, 2017
Before I start I will like to explain some terms:

Tail Docking: Docking -- removing part or all of a dog’s tail, usually with surgical scissors -- is done when a dog is just a few days old and her tail’s still “soft.” This surgery is also known as “bobbing"

Ear Cropping: Cropping -- cutting off the floppy part of a dog’s ear -- is usually performed on anaesthetized dogs between 6 and 12 weeks old. The ears are then taped to a hard surface for several weeks while they heal so they stay upright.

please note, these procedures are extremely painful to the animals in question. There are some popular myths that believe it makes the Animal aggressive while some believe it is plain animal cruelty. What is your take on this? Let's have your views.

I will attach various Images of dogs with ears cropped and dogs without ears cropped. Let the discussion begin.

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by PenisCaP: 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2017
grin that pix

2 Likes

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 1:38pm On Mar 16, 2017
PenisCaP:
grin that pix
looks funny right? imagine if human ears were cropped. what is your view though?

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by PenisCaP: 1:46pm On Mar 16, 2017
DogCynophile:
looks funny right? imagine if human ears were cropped. what is your view though?

Yea dats very babaric i must say. .
The pic really touched me. angry
I was only laffing bcoz of d reaction of d human cartoon
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 3:06pm On Mar 16, 2017
PenisCaP:

Yea dats very babaric i must say. .
The pic really touched me. angry
I was only laffing bcoz of d reaction of d human cartoon
yeah, it is but some school of thoughts believe it makes the animal grow

visit this link to learn more: here

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by coolsegun2002: 3:21pm On Mar 16, 2017
We are humans..... we are higher than every other animal...if ear cropping or tail docking is considered barbaric or cruel....then what will chopping their head off, cooking and eating them be classified as..

We have domesticated some sets of animals and class them as man's best friend. Are other animals lesser than dogs?...by all mean NO!

What u hold dear to ur heart maybe what I don't give a shiit about...some don't like dogs..they like other animals like birds as pets...e.g the eagle, falcons pegions, parrots ..
damn! the first time I chop eagle and parrot..i know say chicken na preamble...

So all these classification of what I did to my pet as Okay, Cruel or Barbaric is based on individual tolerance and preference and not be taken as law. Nobody cares if I kill a cow, goat, chicken and eat in many parts of the world. Do u know some Indians considers cow very sacred and even marry them.
It's my pet, if I feel croping, docking, or cooking will satisfy watheva desire that's in me ...be it show off appearance, or hunger..allow us do it.. I don't feel it should be a considered barbaric or cruel or otherwise.

4 Likes

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 1:03pm On Mar 17, 2017
coolsegun2002:
We are humans..... we are higher than every other animal...if ear cropping or tail docking is considered barbaric or cruel....then what will chopping their head off, cooking and eating them be classified as..

We have domesticated some sets of animals and class them as man's best friend. Are other animals lesser than dogs?...by all mean NO!

What u hold dear to ur heart maybe what I don't give a shiit about...some don't like dogs..they like other animals like birds as pets...e.g the eagle, falcons pegions, parrots ..
damn! the first time I chop eagle and parrot..i know say chicken na preamble...

So all these classification of what I did to my pet as Okay, Cruel or Barbaric is based on individual tolerance and preference and not be taken as law. Nobody cares if I kill a cow, goat, chicken and eat in many parts of the world. Do u know some Indians considers cow very sacred and even marry them.
It's my pet, if I feel croping, docking, or cooking will satisfy watheva desire that's in me ...be it show off appearance, or hunger..allow us do it.. I don't feel it should be a considered barbaric or cruel or otherwise.

you have a point, but even in the animal kingdom there's classifications of animal, some animals rank higher than some, thats why in some advance countries, you have animal rights and all that. the fact that you gave birth to a son does that mean you have the right to end the life of your child?
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by coolsegun2002: 1:28pm On Mar 17, 2017
DogCynophile:

you have a point, but even in the animal kingdom there's classifications of animal, some animals rank higher than some, thats why in some advance countries, you have animal rights and all that. the fact that you gave birth to a son does that mean you have the right to end the life of your child?

Okay you wanna take it down to biology's taxonomy ....Btw, u r completely off point with the human analogy u mentioned in ur last sentence. Ur thread is about how we treat our dogs..if it's right or not..every one knows human right shuld be upholded everywhere, we are the image of the almighty even though Seun doesn't agree.

With respect to animal classification and ranking....cows, goats dogs etc all fall in the same rank of vertebrates, mammals, bla bla bla.....

So I still say the stupid law shouldn't hold as it looks like a law carved out of preference for a particular specie of animals...

I would understand if preference is given based on extinction reasons.. like the Panda bear, pangolins etc

No one gives a shiiit about the numerous goats and cows killed daily for beef...even hotdog isn't made from dog meat...just try and kill one dog in the US for consumption purpose..u go hear am bigtime if someone finds out.

2 Likes

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Nautillus(m): 2:12pm On Mar 17, 2017
im not a fan of cropping dog ears... i honestly can not phantom why its done.

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by smileysmiles(f): 3:21pm On Mar 17, 2017
Don't do it. Simple

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by blackboy(m): 4:21pm On Mar 17, 2017
Some breeds are known with certain features like Caucasian,cane Corso, pitbull and doberman pincher with their cropped ears but in reality they are not born like that but undergo cosmetic surgery which in many cases like in Nigeria very painful but can also be done without pain. I believe just like a normal surgery humans go through.
In Nigeria a child born with 6 fingers has a thread tied around it till it drops off don't know how it's done now.
I had a recent experience with my cane Corso and wanted it to have it have the look. Trust me I almost
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 4:43pm On Mar 21, 2017
blackboy:
Some breeds are known with certain features like Caucasian,cane Corso, pitbull and doberman pincher with their cropped ears but in reality they are not born like that but undergo cosmetic surgery which in many cases like in Nigeria very painful but can also be done without pain. I believe just like a normal surgery humans go through.
In Nigeria a child born with 6 fingers has a thread tied around it till it drops off don't know how it's done now.
I had a recent experience with my cane Corso and wanted it to have it have the look. Trust me I almost

continue na, was enjoying the tale.. you almost what? shocked embarassed
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 4:44pm On Mar 21, 2017
Nautillus:

for apearance purposes...check out the two pictures and tell me which one looks good

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2017
smileysmiles:
Don't do it. Simple
well, people have their own views
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 5:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
Nautillus:

Conventionally, cropping was done to herd dogs to prevent their ears from been bitten during a fight (if it is inevitable). Docking was for farm dogs to prevent their tails from being caught inbetween the wheels of a cart.
These reasons have faded away ver time, but cropping and docking are now done for aesthetic purpose. Me for one, I grew up knowing Rotts to b docked. so seeing one that is not docked is kinda abnormal.
I once came across an article that says dogs wit docked tails that are done in such a way that they have their anus exposed, are kind of timid. I don't know how true

2 Likes

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DogCynophile(m): 10:23am On Mar 22, 2017
okikiosibodu:

Conventionally, cropping was done to herd dogs to prevent their ears from been bitten during a fight (if it is inevitable). Docking was dog for farm dogs to prevent their tails from being caught inbetween the wheels of an cart.
These reasons have faded off over time, but cropping and dock are now done for aesthetic purpose. Me for one, I gree up knowing Rotts to b docked. so seeing one that is not docked is kinda abnormal.
I once can across an article that says dogs wit docked tails that are done in such a way that they have their anus exposed, are kind of timid. I don't know how true
Nice facts and write up. cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 6:44pm On Mar 22, 2017
DogCynophile:

Nice facts and write up. cheesy smiley
Glad you could read inbetween the typos...
I have finally gotten my Infinix note 3 pro. Rocking it now. But I wish it supports Glo's 4g
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by DocAdray(f): 9:31pm On Mar 22, 2017
I personally as a practicing veterinarian rarely carry out ear-cropping or worse off, tail-docking on dogs. I consider it cruel and often times attempt talking the client out of it or I refer the client to other colleagues who don't have a problem carrying out those procedures on pets.

2 Likes

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Drprecious92: 11:25pm On Mar 22, 2017
IMPORTED PUPPIES FOR SALE PURE BREED very affordable
CALL VET DR MRS 09068855871...VARETIES
GERMAN SHEPHERD PUPPIES-N30,000
BULL MASTIFF PUPPIES -N45,000
BOERBOEL PUPPIES -N35,000
GREATDANE PUPPIES-N45,000
CAUCASIAN PUPPIES -N35,000
NEAPOLITAN MASTIFF -45,000
ROTTWEILER PUPPIES -N35,000
SAMOYED pups N25,000
CHOWCHOW pups N120,000
LHASA APSO N30,000
Dobberman pups N50,000
Pittbull pups N55,000
Bull dog pups N60,000
SIBERIAN HUSKY pups N80,000
Labrador pups N40,000
Saint Bernard pups N40,000
MANY MORE FULLY VACCINATED AND DEWORNED..CALL OR WHATSAP FOR PICTURES OR VIDEO.
FREE DELIVERY NATIONWIDE
THANKS FOR YOUR PATRONAGE.

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by dhavel: 5:14am On Mar 24, 2017
okikiosibodu:

Glad you could read inbetween the typos...
I have finally gotten my Infinix note 3 pro. Rocking it now. But I wish it supports Glo's 4g

Wish to swap my infinix note 3 +cash for the note 3 pro. Any one interested should signify.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 12:15pm On Mar 24, 2017
dhavel:

Wish to swap my infinix note 3 +cash for the note 3 pro. Any one interested should signify.
I no do grin. But the majority difference is the 4g option... Online they said the 3 pro has 3gb ram, mine has 3gb ram, so I am still wondering if goggle was dishonest or I got another version.
For not, it is just like an ordinary phone without 4g option cos I browse with only Glo, and the phone doesn't support band 28. I hope we are not derailling this thread... If you wanna ask further questions, Pls mention me on any infinix note 3 thread, I will respond
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Nobody: 2:18am On May 24, 2018
But Ear Croping is the tradition of Pitbulls, Doberman and Cane Corsos it brings out the true beauty of these breeds. As for pain, everybody almost everybody goes through pain one way or the other as a baby, for example; most of us have been circumcised for hygiene purpose and to keep us from contacting diseases, same as ear Croping in these breeds; due to the floppy ears , they are more prone to fleas so cropping the ears help keeps them from contacting fleas infection.

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 8:55am On May 24, 2018
I bet many of us here that consider ear cropping or tail docking in dogs to be cruel will not even bat an eyelid when it comes to piercing the ears of their female child, or circumcising their child (male or female), not to talk about tribal marks...

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 9:00am On May 24, 2018
Rany4all:
I bet many of us here that consider ear cropping or tail docking in dogs to be cruel will not even bat an eyelid when it comes to piercing the ears of their female child, or circumcising their child (male or female), not to talk about tribal marks...
And, by the way, all of these procedures are carried out on our children on a daily basis without any form of anaesthesia...
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 9:30am On May 24, 2018
Rany4all:
And, by the way, all of these procedures are carried out on our children on a daily basis without any form of anaesthesia...

very true Doc very true as for me I can't buy a Rott or a BB with intact tail or a doberman, cane corso, Pitt bull, Caucasian etc with full ears partly becos when I knew those breed I knew them with docked tails or cropped ears, growing up I even thought that was how God created them. docked tails or cropped ears is their traditional look & right and I will always uphold doggie tradition there is no cruelty in it people still circumcise, pierce and do other things to their body all in the name of beautification which is not bad so I don't see anything wrong in trying to make our pets beautiful and in the end the pups will not remember anything and it won't affect it temperament or anything becos there are intact dogs that are haywire + some breeds are even prone to ear infection so cropping even helps to avoid things like that in the future plus many other benefits all this cruelty talk is just appeal to pity
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 10:13am On May 24, 2018
Jungpablo:

very true Doc very true as for me I can't buy a Rott or a BB with intact tail or a doberman, cane corso, Pitt bull, Caucasian etc with full ears partly becos when I knew those breed I knew them with docked tails or cropped ears, growing up I even thought that was how God created them. docked tails or cropped ears is their traditional look & right and I will always uphold doggie tradition there is no cruelty in it people still circumcise, pierce and do other things to their body all in the name of beautification which is not bad so I don't see anything wrong in trying to make our pets beautiful and in the end the pups will not remember anything and it won't affect it temperament or anything becos there are intact dogs that are haywire + some breeds are even prone to ear infection so cropping even helps to avoid things like that in the future plus many other benefits all this cruelty talk is just appeal to pity
I tend to look at it as a symbiotic relationship...they benefit from us and we benefit from them as well.

My dogs offer me friendship, loyalty, security, and may also endure a little pain on my behalf...and I'm okay with this since I also have things to offer to them like food, shelter, love, healthcare, etc. And, by the way, I also go through all sorts of pain from time to time on their behalf including financial pain, emotional pain and even physical pain occasionally.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't consider a once in a lifetime act of ear cropping or tail docking as cruel, as long as I fulfil my own part of the relationship. I love my dogs to bits and they know it.

It would be a completely different story, however, if I continuously maltreat them, like maybe not feeding them, torturing them, making them engage in dog fights, not caring about their health, or the way they feel, and so on.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 10:20am On May 24, 2018
Rany4all:
I tend to look at it as a symbiotic relationship...they benefit from us and we benefit from them as well.

My dogs offer me friendship, loyalty, security, and may also endure a little pain on my behalf...and I'm okay with this since I also have things to offer to them like food, shelter, love, healthcare, etc. And, by the way, I also go through all sorts of pain from time to time on their behalf including financial pain, emotional pain and even physical pain occasionally.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't consider a once in a lifetime act of ear cropping or tail docking as cruel, as long as I fulfil my own part of the relationship. I love my dogs to bits and they know it.

It would be a completely different story, however, if I continuously maltreat them, like maybe not feeding them, torturing them, making them engage in dog fights, not caring about their health, or the way they feel, and so on.

I agree with yu there are other things to offer a dog other than labelling aesthetics procedures as cruelty

and ehm yu can go through my thread yu will love it
https://www.nairaland.com/4252905/beauty-ful-diary
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 10:33am On May 24, 2018
Jungpablo:

I agree with yu there are other things to offer a dog other than labelling aesthetics procedures as cruelty

and ehm yu can go through my thread yu will love it
https://www.nairaland.com/4252905/beauty-ful-diary
Yeah, I've been going through ur thread. Beautiful dog u've got there!

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by davillian(m): 10:39am On May 24, 2018
Tail ducking has its advantages and disadvantages.
The tail of a dog is used for swimming, balance when they run and hit a curve and its for signals.
I won't like any part of my dog to be tampered with except for healtt issues.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 10:55am On May 24, 2018
A line must be drawn somewhere on what we consider as cruelty to animals, especially to dogs as they are so close to us.

I don't think dogs like to be chained or caged for instance, but I can bet most of us, if not all, will not consider that as cruelty. We do it because we just love to keep them around us, and to achieve that it must be in our own terms, for theirs and our safety. Is this act cruel, I think not...its one of the things that make this relationship work.

For me, any procedure I perform once in a lifetime to make my dogs look the part, look more presentable, and in fact more lovable, with even some health benefits for the dogs, should be below the cutoff mark for 'cruelty.'

Well, I've said my bit, and of course its just an opinion!

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 11:39am On May 24, 2018
davillian:
Tail ducking has its advantages and disadvantages.
The tail of a dog is used for swimming, balance when they run and hit a curve and its for signals.
I won't like any part of my dog to be tampered with except for healtt issues.

how many dogs have yu seen swimming in Nigeria? have yu seen a dog without tail that ran and fell? and which signals are yu talking about

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Just Imported This Male Caucasian Puppy From Moscow Russia...(not For Sale) / Cute Rabbits For Sale / Let's See A Photo Of Your Best Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.