Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,503 members, 7,781,535 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:24 PM

Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View (8279 Views)

Tail Docking / Rotweiler Tail Docking / Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 11:50am On May 24, 2018
Rany4all:
Yeah, I've been going through ur thread. Beautiful dog u've got there!

thanks
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 12:14pm On May 24, 2018
davillian:
Tail ducking has its advantages and disadvantages.
The tail of a dog is used for swimming, balance when they run and hit a curve and its for signals.
I won't like any part of my dog to be tampered with except for healtt issues.
You may feel these procedures have no health benefits for your dogs, and I'll completely agree with you, because that is simply your preference...you LOVE your dog with ears and tail intact, and that is the best you can offer your dog.

For me, tail docking my rotts, but not my GSD's, have MASSIVE health benefits for them, and I'll show you why in a moment....just take a seat and grab a popcorn!

The most important thing one can offer ones dog is LOVE...if you love your dog, every other thing will follow, including better healthcare. One is usually more willing to sacrifice ones time and material resources for ones dog if LOVE is there.

Whether you like it or not, love is conditional...there is nothing like unconditional love. You love your dog because of the breed, its behaviour, and even its looks. If a docked tail or cropped ear will make you love your dog more, then I believe it's better for the dog, after all those procedures do not usually have any longterm effects.

I love my rotts more with docked tails, the same way I love my GSD's more with their tails intact. This increased love I have for them, partly because of their looks, makes me more willing to spend more time with them and also sacrifice my hard earned income to provide for them, food, shelter, healthcare, etc. This LOVE I show to my dogs, undoubtedly, makes them happier and healthier in the long run.

Just my opinion!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by davillian(m): 2:00pm On May 24, 2018
Jungpablo:

how many dogs have yu seen swimming in Nigeria? have yu seen a dog without tail that ran and fell? and which signals are yu talking about
You don't know anything.
And I'm not here to educate you
Since you chose not to educate yourself.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 2:13pm On May 24, 2018
davillian:
You don't know anything. And I'm not here to educate you Since you chose not to educate yourself.
And yu know everything? some people don't just know how to talk and it's bad
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 3:10pm On May 24, 2018
Tolerance, my friends, tolerance! One doesn't have to agree with another's opinions, but we should, at least, be mature enough to respect each other's views.

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 7:54pm On May 24, 2018
Jungpablo:

how many dogs have yu seen swimming in Nigeria? have yu seen a dog without tail that ran and fell? and which signals are yu talking about
Wow. Been a long time on this thread.... I guess canine communication was being referred to by the SIGNAL.
My man, long time no see, how you dey?

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 8:06pm On May 24, 2018
davillian:

You don't know anything.
And I'm not here to educate you
Since you chose not to educate yourself.
Bro, this is not a nice way to convey your opinion... You don't know they person behind the moniker you bash on this faceless forum. If you were him, will you be willing to take correction from anyone that talks to you this way?
Let's correct and convert our opinions with love..... That is where constructive criticism comes in. One love
Me for one will prefer a docked Rott over and undocked one.... However, the stout should be sufficient to convey canine information.

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 8:48pm On May 24, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Wow. Been a long time on this thread.... I guess canine communication was being referred to by the SIGNAL.
My man, long time no see, how you dey?

okikiosibodu my man I greet yu too...... Ohk now I get It well it's true dogs use their tails to show humans how they feel but if yu are very close to yur dog yu can tell their reaction without their tail I for example notice how my dog moods changes when faced with different people and situations and most times tails of dogs are not fully docked it is usually dock at the 3rd vertebrae am not talking from what I read online but from personal experience

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 9:29pm On May 24, 2018
Jungpablo:

okikiosibodu my man I greet yu too...... Ohk now I get It well it's true dogs use their tails to show humans how they feel but if yu are very close to yur dog yu can tell their reaction without their tail I for example notice how my dog moods changes when faced with different people and situations and most times tails of dogs are not fully docked it is usually dock at the 3rd vertebrae am not talking from what I read online but from personal experience
Yeah, I comprehend, just as Bespokeset was able to identify his canine out of for sale. This words of his got me so emotional the very first time I read it
"When you've owned a dog from 7 weeks old till almost 6 months old you can almost sniff it from afar not to talk of markings."
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 9:38pm On May 24, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Yeah, I comprehend, just as Bespokeset was able to identify his canine out of for sale. This words of his got me so emotional the very first time I read it
"When you've owned a dog from 7 weeks old till almost 6 months old you can almost sniff it from afar not to talk of markings."

yeah yu just cited a perfect example

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by davillian(m): 2:08am On May 26, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Bro, this is not a nice way to convey your opinion... You don't know they person behind the moniker you bash on this faceless forum. If you were him, will you be willing to take correction from anyone that talks to you this way?
Let's correct and convert our opinions with love..... That is where constructive criticism comes in. One love
Me for one will prefer a docked Rott over and undocked one.... However, the stout should be sufficient to convey canine information.
I got pissed when he asked which signal dogs give with their tail.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 5:39am On May 26, 2018
davillian:

I got pissed when he asked which signal dogs give with their tail.

Oya on his behalf, I am saying sorry. Probably he didn't get that part. He is a cool guy, and I am quite sure you are a cool person too. Two wrongs don't make a right. Let us let peace reign..... You mind apologising (even if you think you were right and he was one on the wrong)?
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Scrooge(m): 1:05pm On May 26, 2018
I am sorry (on his behalf)

Before you dock or crop, please ask your puppy what he thinks.

Ear piercing and fore skin removal is not akin to chopping off an earlobe or an appendage, that’s false equivalence!

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 1:36pm On May 26, 2018
Scrooge:
I am
(on his behalf)

Ear piercing and fore skin removal is not akin to chopping off an earlobe or an appendage, that’s false equivalence!
Maybe we should also ask them what they think before we imprison them by caging or chaining or the next time we spank them . The question is where do you draw the line and what are your reasons for saying one is OK and another is not?

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 1:55pm On May 26, 2018
Scrooge:
I am sorry (on his behalf)

Ear piercing and fore skin removal in 'humans' may not be the equivalent of docking or cropping in dogs, but still they cause pain, are of little or no benefit to the 'human' recipients and we do not seek the opinions of the recipients before we inflict such pain.

Maybe we should also be advocating for the rights of our babies too, rather than just jumping on the band wagon of animal rights activists in faraway lands.

2 Likes

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by otarunero2015(m): 3:25pm On May 26, 2018
DogCynophile:
for apearance purposes...check out the two pictures and tell me which one looks good

Second dog with the full tail and ear doesn’t look half as intimidating
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by davillian(m): 3:34pm On May 26, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Oya on his behalf, I am saying sorry. Probably he didn't get that part. He is a cool guy, and I am quite sure you are a cool person too. Two wrongs don't make a right. Let us let peace reign..... You mind apologising (even if you think you were right and he was one on the wrong)?
Yeah I have no problem saying sorry will do that now

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by davillian(m): 3:47pm On May 26, 2018
Jungpablo:

Sorry about my harsh reply ok.
All the things I stated are actually facts.

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 3:49pm On May 26, 2018
davillian:

no qualms. yu are correct just that sometimes I say things based on real life experience

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 5:25pm On May 26, 2018
davillian:

grin
You have my respect.... Thank you.
Oya Jungpablo, your turn to apologise..... Oya apologise to our Davillian who is a gentle man (even if you think you are right, and he was wrong).
You know one thing I have discovered is that when two grow ups are having a disagreement over an issue, they usually are both right, juts that they may be limited in their degree of being right. They both will understand each other better is they both view each other from the same perspective.
Jungpablo, oya do the needful.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Scrooge(m): 5:29pm On May 26, 2018
Rany4all:
Ear piercing and fore skin removal in 'humans' may not be the equivalent of docking or cropping in dogs, but still they cause pain, are of little or no benefit to the 'human' recipients and we do not seek the opinions of the recipients before we inflict such pain.

Maybe we should also be advocating for the rights of our babies too, rather than just jumping on the band wagon of animal rights activists in faraway lands.

Humans mutilate female Instruments, we are advocating for the right of the girl child, that’s a band wagon I’m happy to jump on.

If your child grows up and realizes you gave her an ear piercing or removed his fore skin they won’t hate you for it, but mutilating an animal or a child is the issue and I’m only saying it’s not the same thing.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 5:50pm On May 26, 2018
Scrooge:

Humans mutilate female Instruments, we are advocating for the right of the girl child, that’s a band wagon I’m happy to jump on.

If your child grows up and realizes you gave her an ear piercing or removed his fore skin they won’t hate you for it, but mutilating an animal or a child is the issue and I’m only saying it’s not the same thing.
And who says my rott, who is now 1yr old, hates me for docking its tail when it was just a few weeks old?

If you don't want it done to dogs, then please don't do it to your own blood, male or female!
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Scrooge(m): 6:05pm On May 26, 2018
Rany4all:
And who says my rott, who is now 1yr old, hates me for docking its tail when it was just a few weeks old?

If you don't want it done to dogs, then please don't do it to your own blood, male or female!

And who says he doesn’t?

I don’t know how else to explain false equivalence as you keep drawing these parallels. My intention was to have a healthy discuss, not argue.

Look around you, cropping and docking is dying, albeit slowly but still dying. Rotties once assumed to be born without tails are now being shown intact the world over.

There will I guess always be die hards who will want to keep the old traditions kinda like our East African brothers who still mutitlate their baby daughters at birth and find reasons to justify their actions.

So you win, for now.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2018
Scrooge:

And who says he doesn’t?

I don’t know how else to explain false equivalence as you keep drawing these parallels. My intention was to have a healthy discuss, not argue.

Look around you, cropping and docking is dying, albeit slowly but still dying. Rotties once assumed to be born without tails are now being shown intact the world over.

There will I guess always be die hards who will want to keep the old traditions kinda like our East African brothers who still mutitlate their baby daughters at birth and find reasons to justify their actions.

So you win, for now.

I don't need a human to tell me that my rott hates me because my rott tells me otherwise every single day...he may not speak human, but I still hear him loud and clear through his eyes and his body language.

It's not about keeping old traditions for me, far from it...like I said before its all about loving your dog. I have seen people stop loving their dog just because they saw a neighbour's better looking dog of same breed. Same thing also happens when some are told their dog wasn't pure. Whether we like it or not, the love we have for our dogs is basically conditional, and one of the conditions is the way our dogs look...if a docked tail makes me show more love to my dog, then, believe me, my dog is better for it.

And by the way, you have not given me any plausible reason why you feel docking is not equivalent to circumcision (male or female). Now you are against female circumcision, but support male circumcision, but do you know that there are actually activists out there right now advocating for the rights of the human baby & precisely against male circumcision? When this becomes popular trend tomorrow, I guess you'll jump on that band wagon as well.

The world as we know it will not exist without nonconformists. Just because the world says docking is wrong today, does not make it so...afterall it was right a few years ago, so who says it can't be right again tomorrow.

It's just my opinion anyway, right or wrong, and I stand by it any day!
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Scrooge(m): 9:08pm On May 26, 2018
Rany4all:
I don't need a human to tell me that my rott hates me because my rott tells me otherwise every single day...he may not speak human, but I still hear him loud and clear through his eyes and his body language.

It's not about keeping old traditions for me, far from it...like I said before its all about loving your dog. I have seen people stop loving their dog just because they saw a neighbour's better looking dog of same breed. Same thing also happens when some are told their dog wasn't pure. Whether we like it or not, the love we have for our dogs is basically conditional, and one of the conditions is the way our dogs look...if a docked tail makes me show more love to my dog, then, believe me, my dog is better for it.

And by the way, you have not given me any plausible reason why you feel docking is not equivalent to circumcision (male or female). Now you are against female circumcision, but support male circumcision, but do you know that there are actually activists out there right now advocating for the rights of the human baby & precisely against male circumcision? When this becomes popular trend tomorrow, I guess you'll jump on that band wagon as well.

The world as we know it will not exist without nonconformists. Just because the world says docking is wrong today, does not make it so...afterall it was right a few years ago, so who says it can't be right again tomorrow.

It's just my opinion anyway, right or wrong, and I stand by it any day!

“A docked tail makes me show more love to my dog” lol

If your your love finds new heights what will you cut off? His head?

If I were your rott, I’d want you to love me with my tail and all body parts in place. Lol

Seriously though I’m happy you love your dog, and we are all entitled to our opinions even if they are informed by prejudices.
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 9:30pm On May 26, 2018
Scrooge:

“A docked tail makes me show more love to my dog” lol

If your your love finds new heights what will you cut off? His head?

If I were your rott, I’d want you to love me with my tail and all body parts in place. Lol

Seriously though I’m happy you love your dog, and we are all entitled to our opinions even if they are informed by prejudices.
Lol, thankfully you are not my rott...but you probably think that way because you're blessed with loved ones...some, even humans, would gladly give up an eye just to be loved...lol

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Jungpablo: 10:44pm On May 26, 2018
okikiosibodu:

grin
You have my respect.... Thank you.
Oya Jungpablo, your turn to apologise..... Oya apologise to our Davillian who is a gentle man (even if you think you are right, and he was wrong).
You know one thing I have discovered is that when two grow ups are having a disagreement over an issue, they usually are both right, juts that they may be limited in their degree of being right. They both will understand each other better is they both view each other from the same perspective.
Jungpablo, oya do the needful.

OK sir grin sorry sir davillian

1 Like

Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 6:37pm On May 27, 2018
Scrooge:

.My intention was to have a healthy discuss, not argue.
I seriously am enjoying this healthy debate. But have you taken a rear seat, to observe that molossers/ mastiffs with solid bodies a have more aesthetics with docked tails, and cropped ears for those that are cropped? Consider Rotts, Boerboels, Great Dane, Pitts, Presa Canario, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Boxer, Cane Corso, Italian Mastiff, etc..... They have more beauty and more stern looks (though this is not its purpose). Whether the cropping and docking are properly done or not, is another topic of discuss.
Canines with long muzzle however, are better off with their tails, it gives more beauty to them. Consider GSD, Belgian Malnois, Dutch Shepherd, labrador retriever, golden retriever, etc are more beautiful wit their tails intact.
Where I think the cruelty comes in is if the cropping and docking was done as an adult...... It will be like amputation to the dog cos it can already control those muscles and is probably putting them to some use. For a dog that twitches its ears to and fro, it might not be able to do so again if cropped. For a dog that coils its tail into a sickle shape (as many Rotties do), it won't be able to do so again. They might be feeling incomplete. But if it was done as a puppy before the could control those muscle, I think it is OK.
#MyOpinionThough
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 9:02pm On May 27, 2018
wink Why are you trying to reignite this debate when one party has already thrown in the towel?
okikiosibodu:

I seriously am enjoying this healthy debate. But have you taken a rear seat, to observe that molossers/ mastiffs with solid bodies a have more aesthetics with docked tails, and cropped ears for those that are cropped? Consider Rotts, Boerboels, Great Dane, Pitts, Presa Canario, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Boxer, Cane Corso, Italian Mastiff, etc..... They have more beauty and more stern looks (though this is not its purpose). Whether the cropping and docking are properly done or not, is another topic of discuss.
Canines with long muzzle however, are better off with their tails, it gives more beauty to them. Consider GSD, Belgian Malnois, Dutch Shepherd, labrador retriever, golden retriever, etc are more beautiful wit their tails intact.
Where I think the cruelty comes in is if the cropping and docking was done as an adult...... It will be like amputation to the dog cos it can already control those muscles and is probably putting them to some use. For a dog that twitches its ears to and fro, it might not be able to do so again if cropped. For a dog that coils its tail into a sickle shape (as many Rotties do), it won't be able to do so again. They might be feeling incomplete. But if it was done as a puppy before the could control those muscle, I think it is OK.
#MyOpinionThough
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by okikiosibodu(m): 11:12pm On May 27, 2018
Rany4all:
wink Why are you trying to reignite this debate when one party has already thrown in the towel?
My humble and sincere apologies
Re: Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View by Rany4all(m): 11:26pm On May 28, 2018
smiley Apologies not necessary bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

German Rottweiler Puppies 4 Sale / Cute Rabbits For Sale / I Just Imported This Male Caucasian Puppy From Moscow Russia...(not For Sale)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.