Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa (3218 Views)

UK Tourist Visa Refusal - Green Card Holder / Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria / Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 18, 2009
Hello,

I just got my greencard and moving to Maryland, USA. Even though I've checked for online resources to know more about Maryland, i need one on one tips from people with experiences. I want to know how cheap or expensive housing and transportation is, what opportunities are available for schooling and all that.

Please, I welcome ideas, thanks,
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by hadexman(m): 12:51pm On Dec 19, 2009
pleasers:

Hello,

I just got my greencard and moving to Maryland, USA. Even though I've checked for online resources to know more about Maryland, i need one on one tips from people with experiences. I want to know how cheap or expensive housing and transportation is, what opportunities are available for schooling and all that.

Please, I welcome ideas, thanks,

Congratulation! Was that through the DV lottery?
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 19, 2009
yep, got ideas ?
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 8:52pm On Dec 19, 2009
I used to live in Maryland, Germantown in Montgomery County to be exact. Where exactly are U moving? Maryland is very expensive though.There are many Africans but it depends on your location. Public Transportation is very cheap. There is the Ride-on-bus that is very affordable. The metro(train) is not as cheap as the bus but is affordable. There are good job opportunities because Washington DC/Virgina is close by.Some Marylanders work in DC or Virgina by using the metro back and forth.Maryland have great Universities depending on your major. A friend of mine goes to the University Of Maryland @ College Park.Keep in mind that Maryland is expensive when it comes to housing though. It's a good state.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 19, 2009
I'm going to Bladensburg, the transportation details you gave sounds great and even the education system there, what do you know about housing around Blandensburg. Yea, my cousin works in Washington DC and lives in Bladensburg, was wondering until i was told how close those locations are.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2009
Never heard of Bladensburg. I did a little research though. According to research, it's a small town in Prince George's County. Bladensburg is 8.65 miles (13.92 km) from central Washington, DC. Population is about 7,661.The racial makeup of the town is about 16.42% White, 70.92% African American(including africans).

Appartment prices
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Maryland/Bladensburg/

More info

Compared to the rest of the country, Bladensburg's cost of living is 6.50% Higher than the U.S. average.

Bladensburg public schools spend $6,492 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 11 students per teacher in Bladensburg.

The unemployment rate in Bladensburg is 7.00 percent(U.S. avg. is 8.50%). Recent job growth is Negative. Bladensburg jobs have Decreased by 4.20 percent.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Bladensburg-Maryland.aspx
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 19, 2009
Thank you for the great info, Will ask more incase I have more questions, Thanks
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by omega25red(m): 11:27pm On Dec 19, 2009
hey i recently moved to virginia which is close to maryland, compared to VA maryland has cheaper accomodation and i like the area because their rent includes light water and gas most of the time. The metro system is not bad at all when you go to the train station, it actually displays the amount of time you have to wait before the train comes unlike NY which was where i lived before. also the buses are not bad at all they are cheaper like someone already said. Between DC, VA and MD you will run into lots of africans i see ethiopians in virginia and the pace of life is slower and very nice. Jobs are hard to find right now due to the economy but you surely can find one because this is the govt area. So much more but i'm tired of typing have a safe trip and dont ever go into a bank to pick up money for anyone and dont let anyone use your name to open any account if it's not yours and your social security number which you will get is to be protected with your life never disclose of it unless you are applying for a job opening an account or something important like that.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 11:52pm On Dec 19, 2009
omega25red:

hey i recently moved to virginia which is close to maryland, compared to VA maryland has cheaper accomodation and i like the area because their rent includes light water and gas most of the time. The metro system is not bad at all when you go to the train station, it actually displays the amount of time you have to wait before the train comes unlike NY which was where i lived before. also the buses are not bad at all they are cheaper like someone already said. Between DC, VA and MD you will run into lots of africans i see ethiopians in virginia and the pace of life is slower and very nice. Jobs are hard to find right now due to the economy but you surely can find one because this is the govt area. So much more but i'm tired of typing have a safe trip and dont ever go into a bank to pick up money for anyone and dont let anyone use your name to open any account if it's not yours and your social security number which you will get is to be protected with your life never disclose of it unless you are applying for a job opening an account or something important like that.

100% correct. You do not want someone stealing your identity. Make sure U also protect your account number. I recommend Wachovia by the way. wink

pleasers:

Thank you for the great info, Will ask more incase I have more questions, Thanks

More questions will be welcome. wink
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 3:06am On Dec 20, 2009
nigerians full that place.

You shouldnt have a problem getting around or networking.

You'll also meet people from everywhere you've lived in Nigeria including your hometown and the ones who can tell you your whole family history including how your grandparents met talkless your parents.

true talk oh!

1 Like

Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 20, 2009
Wow, those are great ideas, I will definitely watch out for those stuffs u have warned against, Thank u thank u for all these responses, If you remember something you have forgotten to add here, pls dont forget to update, Thanks loads.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 20, 2009
I'm presently studying psychology, I've got my transcripts from my school and intend to transfer, i intend to work until i am eligible for scholarship/fin aid. What certificate courses do you people recommend I can take to start with to find some jobs for a start? Any ideas
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 4:55pm On Dec 20, 2009
Once U have a permanent resident, U already qualified for Financial aid. I don't know about scholarships cause most are rewarded to US Citizens.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 20, 2009
Oh ok, smiley that's some good news
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2009
What school r u looking 2??
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 20, 2009
I've been looking at Washington college,University of Maryland College park and loyola university, am considering anyone of the three.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by omega25red(m): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2009
pleasers:

I've been looking at Washington college,University of Maryland College park and loyola university, am considering anyone of the three.
if i were you i will call the admissions dept to make sure they will accept your credits or if you have to take any other exams to make it happen. As far as work what are you interested in doing? or better yet what work wont you do? do you have other support systems for housing food etc because coming here with no degree yet wont land you a particular great job but hey we all start some where
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 20, 2009
Yes, I have support from parents as far as housing and feeding will be concerned, but just thinking of ways to start making money and saving for other needs that may surface.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 1:39am On Dec 21, 2009
Get enrolled in school first and then start looking for a job. What field are U looking at??
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 1:44am On Dec 21, 2009
pleasers:

Visit there websites and look for the admission information.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 21, 2009
loyola university is privately owned, I think.

University of Maryland is also chock full of Nigerians but it probably has the largest student population of the three colleges you listed.

however, wiki says black enrollment at UM has dropped- i wonder why.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 2:31am On Dec 21, 2009
tpia.:

University of Maryland is also chock full of Nigerians but it probably has the largest student population of the three colleges you listed.

Have U lived in MD before cause U know so much??
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 2:33am On Dec 21, 2009
tpia.:

Most go to Howard University which is in DC. Its an HBCU
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 2:58am On Dec 21, 2009
SeanT21:

Have U lived in MD before cause U know so much??

like Houston, the place is full of Nigerians. Full of Africans that is, but who you know more will depend on which country you're from.

I have friends who attended those colleges.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 3:01am On Dec 21, 2009
tpia.:

like Houston, the place is full of Nigerians. Full of Africans that is, but who you know more will depend on which country you're from.

I have friends who attended those colleges.

Yes, Africans plenty for MD as a whole. wink
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 21, 2009
definitely I am not considering a private uni anymore
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2009
pleasers:

definitely I am not considering a private uni anymore

are you in a private school back home?

Private schools in the US are most times comparable to the state owned institutions. The main difference is class size and maybe tuition.

Loyola college is Jesuit owned, so the standard is probably good.

dont know too much about Washington university for now.

If black attendance at UM is dropping, there must be a reason for that but you can still try there. Its a very good research institution.
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 21, 2009
I'm in a Federal uni here
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by SeanT21(f): 8:37pm On Dec 21, 2009
Here are some other good choices in MD.

Frostburg State University
University of Maryland, Baltimore 
University of Maryland, Baltimore County Catonsville/Arbutus   
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Maryland, Eastern Shore
Coppin State University
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by mamagee3(f): 8:49pm On Dec 21, 2009
Those are wonderful Universities. tongue
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for the info, I'll check these schools out,
Re: Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 15, 2012
Thanking everyone for their Input. I finally chose University of Maryland, College Park which I am extremely happy about. Very few of my college credits from Nigeria transferred because I changed major. I'm now in my junior year at College Park. Thanks to u all for your contributions.

(1) (Reply)

Visa Requirements For Those Who Wants To Go To Turkey / Booking On Hold And Paying On The Same Day On The Aero Website (help Needed) / Non Stop Flights To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.