Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? (21014 Views)

2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? / Nigerian University Dropout Who Became A Pilot Flies Mum (photos) / Aniema Violet Enahoro: Female Pilot Who Is Married To A Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by LOSKYXANDER: 6:49pm On Mar 17, 2017
Phunkyposh:
One thing i know is you must have a very good eyesight ,be an AA and be perfectly OK healthwise. I stand to be corrected.
That's a fat lie!!!! contact lenses are accepted when needed

2 Likes

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by jude33084(m): 6:55pm On Mar 17, 2017
Start with MS flight Sim X,.......then join the flight school in Ilorin, Kwara state wink

You can also join our group Flightsim Enthusiast and get the latest info lols cool
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 17, 2017
Simeon244:

Aviation schools in Canada are cheaper compared to the US and other countries relatively due to the low cost of fuel.
There are a few aviation schools in Canada that charges international students the same tuition as for their domestic students. One of the best is Langley Flying School and it costs 40K Canadian dollars which is about 30K US dollars to be a professional pilot (both the private and commercial license plus instruments and night rating)...it's just 10K Canadian dollars for a private pilot license.
I also aspire to be a pilot, but this will be after my degree. These days commercial airlines hire pilots with degrees. Plus, I'd have something to fall back on in case anything goes wrong and I'd have had the opportunity to work and save towards my pilot training.
First thing first, you have to be medically fit and pass the medical test type 1,2,3 to become a professional pilot.
Get your degree first.
After you've gotten your commercial pilot license, you don't get to work automatically, you'll need a minimum of 2000 flight hours to work for an airline you'd have achieved not less than 200 hours before completion of your commercial pilot license. To make up for the remaining flight hours, you'll also have to work part time as a flight instructor for 2 years, helping other students obtain their private pilot license.
The 40K Canadian dollars include your living costs and expenses.

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by smartty68(m): 7:00pm On Mar 17, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:
Hot to South Africa. Thats the closest place. Zaria dont teach the whole thing
You mean the Xenophobic country?
God forbid

1 Like

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by smartty68(m): 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
Seek scholarship from the Government but won't be easy though. A close friend who wanted to become a pilot applied for scholarship from the state government, part of the money was awarded to him. Seek funding... Don't give upsmiley
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by ajalaolanr(m): 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
martynsnet:

because I have none? Guy I just described my CV for u, I had my ATPL from CAE Oxford, so please keep calm, did u see the post about loads of pilots that are driving cabs?

U think living in America gives u an international view? Pick a place in the US and I will meet u there in a week, dont come and form shit here on NL when u dont know who is who. Swerve and let the realist people talk......

Buckhead is Fine, Anywhere on Piedmont.

Because you have an Air Transport Pilots Licence and you have not achieved much does not mean others will not succeed because you failed. we are both Pilots, i fly small planes you fly big planes, all planes follow the same laws of physics and aerodynamics, so don't spew like you know anything special.

When you have a PHD then you can go proud like you have achieved...Common ATPL , you are jumping up and down.

Remember, Buckhead , Anywhere on Piedmont rd we can meet next friday. That's the period you requested . Drinks on me, don't bother to bring money!
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by jude33084(m): 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
smartty68:
Being a pilot has always been my dream but since there was no funds to apply I settled for something else. In other news I have flown an airplane/helicopter/jet in Grand Theft Sand Andreas grin

Try Xplane 10 and FSX,...a step away from the real training. smiley

1 Like

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by smartty68(m): 7:24pm On Mar 17, 2017
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by babz11(m): 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2017
am an aviation student just finish my ground school i will like to help if u dnt mind..08160163226

1 Like

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by TundeHashim(m): 7:34pm On Mar 17, 2017
chauchy:
Hello Nairalanders,
I am an undergraduate in a Nigerian university and I totally dislike my course of study. I never picked it anyways.

My passion is to become a pilot, and I'm ready to give it up here to pursue the dream. But I currently don't know how to go about this.

I need help about aviation schools I can apply to, both in nigeria and abroad, when thier application opens and insight about how friendly the fees are.

Please, I'll be grateful if anyone can give me insight of those that gives scholarships or loan to students, that can be paid back when once starts practising.

I'll greatly appreciate if the Mods can let this grace the front page.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-fSeDuHH6EcE/VvKSyFk5FLI/AAAAAAABGOU/XQFPqw_vbKkj2tx4Wp_EwA5wahS9CHJDg/s640/Omotola-Jalade-Ekeinde-and-Matthew-Ekeinde-20-Years-Marriage-Anniversary-2016-AlabamaUncut.jpg[/img]
go to kwasu..they've got pilotry there..lol
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by OmniSparrow: 7:38pm On Mar 17, 2017
Meet me at the cashew tree at oregbeni market tonight.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 17, 2017
anchor xyz deck
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by TheGreatIYANU: 7:47pm On Mar 17, 2017
martynsnet, ajalaolanr ...

y'all agbayas should calm down. But martynsnet you shock me o! You have money for ATPL in CAE Oxford and you did not consider this - www.nairaland.com/2330282/qatar-wings-qatar-airways-pilot

To all of you saying OP needs a science degree (or any degree for that matter), good eyesight, A+ Blood Group, and all the other RUBBISH you're spewing on here, may the Lord forgive you and may destiny blockers not block you from achieving your own dreams.

PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE NOT GONE, NOT SURE OR DON'T KNOW, KEEP YOUR PIE HOLE SHUT!

chauchy just like you, I also dream of Flying Commercial, then later, Private (mine) someday. My younger brother is already in CFA, US. I could have been a Captain in an International Airline now, but I missed my chance. I will still get it.

However for you, please block out all the rubbish Nairalanders are spewing on here. To become a Pilot, all you need is your Brain and Cash. A LOT OF CASH!

If you want to follow the normal route you'll go to a flight school, preferably one in the US, get your CPL, PPL, IR, ME then comeback to Naija. If your mummy knows Sir Johnson Arumemi of Arik air or you have an uncle or cousin or whoever who knows some top person in any of the Nigerian airlines, tell them to hook you up ASAP.

In fact before finishing your CPL, you should start alerting all your relations in Nigeria. If any one knows the Chief Pilot of any of the airlines, they can also help you. Once the link is established and you are accepted, they will tell you the TYPE of aircraft you need to TYPERATE for.

You will have to travel back abroad for this.

Once done, come back for Line training. Once completed, you get your 2 bars and start work as a Second Officer on the Right or Jump Seat of a Nigerian Airline.

PS: This is a really abridged version of your journey if you chose to thread the path that leads up. It will take you at least 2 years, millions of naira, your tears, sweat and blood.

PSS: Finish you degree before thinking of doing this. It is not assured that your mummy or daddy knows anybody!

5 Likes

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by olmde(m): 7:51pm On Mar 17, 2017
It's really expensive now especially cause of the dollar exchange rate but I would advise that if you really wanna do this, your first choice should be the United States, if it's difficult cause of Trump's immigration policy, you could settle for South Africa. Sadly, Nigeria should be your last choice, I did my airplane training in Ilorin so take it from me when I say you are better off going to the US.
As per fees, it's gonna be about 15 to 18 million naira (could even be slightly higher). You don't need a university degree but it doesn't hurt to have one.
First, apply to a school of your choice, pay the acceptance fee and all, get the admission letter and then set up a date for your VISA, it might help you when you show them you already have admission and also proof that you can pay your way through the course of the training.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by oyejideogunjumo: 7:56pm On Mar 17, 2017
chauchy:
Hello Nairalanders,
I am an undergraduate in a Nigerian university and I totally dislike my course of study. I never picked it anyways.

My passion is to become a pilot, and I'm ready to give it up here to pursue the dream. But I currently don't know how to go about this.

I need help about aviation schools I can apply to, both in nigeria and abroad, when thier application opens and insight about how friendly the fees are.

Please, I'll be grateful if anyone can give me insight of those that gives scholarships or loan to students, that can be paid back when once starts practising.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-fSeDuHH6EcE/VvKSyFk5FLI/AAAAAAABGOU/XQFPqw_vbKkj2tx4Wp_EwA5wahS9CHJDg/s640/Omotola-Jalade-Ekeinde-and-Matthew-Ekeinde-20-Years-Marriage-Anniversary-2016-AlabamaUncut.jpg[/img]
U may be disappointed here because most of the people on ds site are as naive as u are in ds field of study.They may even mislead u instead of owing up to their innocency.
I think we have a School of Aviation is Zaria.I learnt recently dat Obafemi Awoliwo University has a course on Aviation too.It depends on ur rating.We have light aircraft rating(helicopter etc)We have passenger pilot rating.OAU is for light aircraft.Not all schools of aviation abroad are accepted in Nigeria bt i think France,India Us have some good aviatin schools
Recently Nairaland showcased a family of five pilots including their father and a daughter.U may contact them.
Tx
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by jospepper(m): 9:12pm On Mar 17, 2017
mazizitonene:
if you can relocate to Edo state......benin precisely

They offer night courses...
like this?

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Xtargold(f): 9:20pm On Mar 17, 2017
How about joining the Nigerian Air Force.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by clems88(m): 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2017
mazizitonene:
if you can relocate to Edo state......benin precisely

They offer night courses...
mcteeeew . all this amature kids on NL. Must u joke with serious issues
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 17, 2017
chauchy:
Hello Nairalanders,

I'll greatly appreciate if the Mods can let this grace the front page. my guy search for nice Aviation schools in Russia or ukrain/ somenigerians are there.naija aviation school lol u will end up serving chinchin inside emirate no international airline will employ u. undecided

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by homody(m): 9:49pm On Mar 17, 2017
First learn how to fly kite.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by samonak(m): 9:49pm On Mar 17, 2017
browse through this site www.aviationcareerguide.com very insightful n enlightening.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by ajalaolanr(m): 9:54pm On Mar 17, 2017
Xtargold:
How about joining the Nigerian Air Force.

well, if you do Join the Airforce, you are at best training to be a fighter Jet pilot, Not many Airman there eventually go to fighter Jet Training schools. if you wanna be a commercial pilot?, get plenty of cash and go train abroad.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 17, 2017
Is there a tall mountain in your area? Oya climb am and jump down.....for approximately 10secs you will be flying....you too don become pilost be dat....enjoy smiley
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by CarlosTheJackal: 10:18pm On Mar 17, 2017
chauchy:
Hello Nairalanders,

Send me a pm lemme connect you to a pilot that will put you through. The pilot is in Lagos
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Emanade1(m): 10:33pm On Mar 17, 2017
You can try NCAT Zaria the form should be out by now, to be a pilot it's money is required and not just passion. Or you can check out flight schools in South Africa or Canada
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 17, 2017
Op...am glad u opened this thread...we both share the same dream...am studying computer engineering.. Its a nice course but I don't have the passion for it..I always dream of being a pilot, not cos of the salary pay but because of its benefits... Waking up in on country and sleeping in another...u get to see and fly people, also famous people u never dreamt of seeing..the benefits re countless...but unfortunately... Money is disturbing us both from achieving our goals...like how can I pay 10million at a go just for school fees..but there is something life teaches me...I just have to Strive towards my Goal. I just have to keep pushing... God knows a pure heart and he listens...try applying at ncat...obtain ncat entrance form and write the entrance exam...just try that...u may pass and the money may just show up...I have written their entrance exam twice..Which I did pass..but no finance... But I will keep striving... Me just looking at aeroplanes keeps me so alive...I admire ur courage and I thank u for this thread...some people might help us..let's just have patience and watch.

4 Likes

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by shegfun(m): 11:06pm On Mar 17, 2017
please visit our website www.ncat.gov.ng Facebook : www.facebook.com/ncat.gov.ng contact us: 07018741431 call between 8am-5pm (Mon-Fri)

Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by delib: 11:11pm On Mar 17, 2017
chauchy:
Hello Nairalanders,

try Google aviation schools in Kenya, u can get ur PPL(private pilot licence) for just N3million or less. Which is cheaper compared to that of Nigeria.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by CarlosTheJackal: 11:17pm On Mar 17, 2017
chauchy:
Thanks brother. Pm sent already.
Hope you are chacy cos i saw six different PMs. I will talk with him.
Re: Help! How Do I Become A Pilot? by Skmoda360(m): 12:07am On Mar 18, 2017
ednut1:
if u dont have up to 8m forget it. nobody go gv u loan. go to kwara aviation school na only rich man pikin dey der
at IAC, ilorin .......CP is 21millie...........
PP is 4.7millie deal with that........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Do You Hate Most About Working From Home? / Anti Success Symptoms That Limits Our Progress In Life / What Is The Average Pay Of Chartered Accountants In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.