Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa (34475 Views)

Top5 Most Expensive Drugs In The World And Diseases They Cure / NDLEA Seizes Trailer Truck Of Codeine Drugs In Katsina (Photo) / Body Part Commonly Neglected While Bathing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2017
Drug is a chemical substance which is derived from plant, animal or mineral resources(synthetic) which can be used in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases in plant and animal. It can also be defined as a chemical substance which causes a change in physiological function of the body.

Drug a potential poison if not administered properly it can have a very harmful effect on the person taken it and as such it should be handled by a qualified health personnel

Here is list of 6 most commonly abused drugs in Africa

1 PARACETAMOL (ACETAMINOPHEN)

Paracetamol is an analgesic drug which is used in treatment of mild to moderate pain .It also has antipyretic properties(ability to reduce fever). Paracetamol is an over the counter drug (OTC) and the most commonly used analgesic all over the world.

The normal adult dose of Paracetamol should not exceed 4 gram in a day and it should be taken just for 3 days. The Paracetamol overdose can cause severe liver damage that is the reason care must be taken when handling it,but unfortunately people take Paracetamol just anyhow even where there is no need of taking it.

2 Marijuana

Marijuana is one of the most commonly used illicit drug in the world.. In Africa today millions of youth between the ages of 16 to 36 years smoke Marijuana. It is addictive and also has harmful effect on the brain such as decreased in mental ability for those who started as teenagers and other effect such as dry mouth, red eyes, paranoia and anxiety.

3 Tramadol

Tramadol is a weak narcotic analgesic which is used in the treatment of mild to severe pain.Most youths today use tramadol as an aphrodisiac (that is a drug that increases libido) , making it as one of the most abused drug today in Africa.

4 Heroines/Cocaine and other Narcotics

Narcotic analgesics are commonly used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain especially in terminally ill patients. Narcotics are highly addictive because they change the chemistry of the brain: they decrease the perception of the pain and alter body’s reaction to pain. when taken, the body create less endorphins because the effect of narcotics are so much more intense than those of endorphins.

People take narcotics for the ability to reduce pain, create relaxation and for immediate euphoric effect. Narcotics should be discouraged except for clinical use and those who are indulging in taking it should be encouraged to go for drug rehabilitation.

5 Dexametasone

Dexametasone is a corticosteroid which is used in the treatment of many conditions such as rheumatoid problems, severe allergies, skin diseases, asthma and chronic obstructive lung diseases.

Most youth today ignorantly use dexametasone for the purpose of adding weight but unfortunately dexametasone causes d retention in sodium in d body which brings about d accumulation of fluid and this can result in some disease conditions such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension and some other disease conditions.

6 Non Steroidal Anti- Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)

These includes diclofenac, ibuprofen, piroxicam, naproxen, teloxicam etc . This class of drug has three properties namely analgesic, anti inflammatory and anti-pyretic properties. They are commonly used for disease conditions such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, dysmenorrhea(painful menstruation) etc. NSAIDS are one of the most abused drugs in Africa because of easy accessibity.

NSAIDS should be used with caution because of various adverse effects such as ulceration heart problem such as myocardial infarction and kidney problems.

http://www.banixhealthcare.com/6-most-abused-drugs-in-africa/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Edwinmason(m): 7:01pm On Mar 16, 2017
good work op but the thing be say them nr go listen

3 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2017
Tramadol and marijuana are d best selling drugs amongst Nigerian youth.
The latter is really the best thing that could happen to you if u know how to use it appropriately.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by benjanjo1: 7:15pm On Mar 16, 2017
ciprofloxacin is the most abused antibiotic in Nigeria!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by blessme2019(m): 7:17pm On Mar 16, 2017
Poster above me, knows plenty

3 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 7:28pm On Mar 16, 2017
benjanjo1:
Yes is one of the most abused antibiotics, I think ampiclox , flagy and septrin are the most abused one.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 7:30pm On Mar 16, 2017
Ighoga898:
Tramadol and marijuana are d best selling drugs amongst Nigerian youth.
The latter is really the best thing that could happen to you if u know how to use it appropriately.
These drugs are destroying many lives ooooooo

1 Like

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by newyorks(m): 7:35pm On Mar 16, 2017
yu just save a soul,kudos op.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2017
Gluthatione:

These drugs are destroying many lives ooooooo
Not when it's taken appropriately

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 9:51pm On Mar 16, 2017
Ighoga898:

Not when it's taken appropriately
These substances are addictive, is it Tramadol that is being taken as sex enhancer or Marijuana which is usually taken for its euphoric effect so they cannot be taken appropriately.
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by optm(m): 10:40pm On Mar 16, 2017
benjanjo1:
not true. Ampiclox wins that

14 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 1:33pm On Mar 17, 2017
optm:
not true. Ampiclox wins that
I think U are correct bro

5 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 1:35pm On Mar 17, 2017
Edwinmason:
good work op but the thing be say them nr go listen
That's d the reason for this post to warn people against drug abuse.
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Edwinmason(m): 4:17pm On Mar 17, 2017
Gluthatione:

That's d the reason for this post to warn people against drug abuse.
op i think you should this write up also to facebook so that everybody can see it
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 17, 2017
Op,you are right on all the aforementioned especially the paracetamol and NSAIDs,this is due to self-medication as an average Nigerian will take an analgesic as normal as water.
I remember my mom will make me take a tab of paracetamol eachtime I return from school(primary skul days).

5 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 1:57am On Mar 18, 2017
Edwinmason:
op i think you should this write up also to Facebook so that everybody can see it
Thanks brother , i have posted it on my Facebook page.

Maybe we should also tell lalasticala to do d needful
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Edwinmason(m): 7:31am On Mar 18, 2017
Gluthatione:

Thanks brother , i have posted it on my Facebook page.

Maybe we should also tell lalasticala to do d needful
nor mind them..since dis is nt otobo and sule matter them go leave am 4 back page.
oya lalasticlala come and move it
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Gluthatione: 8:13am On Mar 18, 2017
Edwinmason:
nor mind them..since dis is nt otobo and sule matter them go leave am 4 back page.
oya lalasticlala come and move it
Thanks bro, Seriously i have seen some great posts that ought to have made it to front page because is not d story of Tonto dike, Davido or post from romance section .

1 Like

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by SweetBoyFriend(m): 11:19am On Mar 18, 2017

Shut up

1 Like

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by adioolayi(m): 11:21am On Mar 18, 2017
I know Paracetamol and NSAIDs aka Painkillers will lead the pack...grin
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 18, 2017
If this study were to be done in contemporary Nigeria, drugs like Tetracycline, Ampiclox, Flagyl , Fansidar, Nivaquine and Coartem would show up in red. In essence we should have 10 most abused drugs and not 5.
Nigerians be trading their future for the quackery of chemists and ignorance of self medication.

5 Dexametasone

Dexametasone is a corticosteroid which is used in the treatment of many conditions such as rheumatoid problems, severe allergies, skin diseases, asthma and chronic obstructive lung diseases.

Most youth today ignorantly use dexametasone for the purpose of adding weight but unfortunately dexametasone causes d retention in sodium in d body which brings about d accumulation of fluid and this can result in some disease conditions such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension and some other disease conditions.
Indirectly this contributes to the increased incidence of renal failure, infertility, Dyslipidemia, and susceptibility to infections.
Anyways, keep at it folks, it's win-win for the doctors.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Chmmyluv(f): 11:22am On Mar 18, 2017
Ok
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by mykelmeezy: 11:22am On Mar 18, 2017
and the must abused thing in the body is the brain

cast study - bmcs

oh btw dont be selfish take 1 and pass round

op there's medical marijuana...n there's osogbo weed ....

5 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by b3llo(m): 11:22am On Mar 18, 2017
Noted... People should learn to take drugs with caution.
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 18, 2017
How would you like to smoke some weed..Sweet Weed Marijuana grin

6 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Felimore: 11:23am On Mar 18, 2017
Codeine too

19 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by EXLOVER(m): 11:23am On Mar 18, 2017
Indoseed use to kill innocent rats anyhow in Nigeria
Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 18, 2017
no rephnol for ur list

ok bye grin

mah go roll one tie grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by eleojo23: 11:23am On Mar 18, 2017
OP, I can tell you that Ampiclox is the number one most abused antibiotic, and most people prefer Beecham Ampiclox.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by laurel03(m): 11:23am On Mar 18, 2017
how many Africa country u don go b4....9ja drugs

1 Like

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by rawpadgin(m): 11:24am On Mar 18, 2017
n
nokiaba3:
no rephnol for ur list

ok bye grin
I wonder

& codeine too

7 Likes

Re: 6 Most Commonly Abused Drugs In Africa by Naughtytboy: 11:24am On Mar 18, 2017
What of tetracycline op

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unknown Patient At National Hospital, Abuja...( See His Photo) / I Find It Difficult To Sleep / 8 months after wedding, Corper dies minutes after welcoming baby girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.